Menu

Ignore this thread!

25 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Dh is pretending to be a meteorologist.  He's tracking the storms around us. 

I wanted to be a meteorologist. I took a class in college that I loved, but I think the math part would have killed me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I took a nap.  Dreamed that an old, probably mentally ill man walked into the house talking to me like he knew me.  I convinced him to come outside to talk (away from the kids who were playing inside) and managed to call 911.  By the time I explained the situation to the operator, the man had driven off.

Dh, on the other hand, dreamed that for the 2nd year in a row, I won the 4th of July pie baking contest!  I was so proud.  :biggrin:

I've made coleslaw and I think I can persuade dh to cut up the watermelon.  We're also having burgers, baked beans, fresh cherries, and chips. Ice cream for dessert.

Fireworks start around 9pm.  

I want to come to your house!!!!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I have a sunflower growing right in the middle of my phlox. I did not plant sunflowers. He's a little one, about phlox height- maybe 3 feet high. And there's only one so far. I wonder where he came from? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it traditional for the bride and groom to pay for the clothing of the flower girl? She's picked out a $300 dress and a $180 pair of shoes and I don't want it to become a point of argument. She asked if we could buy her dress and I said yes, planning to get a white Easter dress at Costco for $18, not $480 worth of clothing for a growing child. We have to get the boys suits, too.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Slache said:

Is it traditional for the bride and groom to pay for the clothing of the flower girl? She's picked out a $300 dress and a $180 pair of shoes and I don't want it to become a point of argument. She asked if we could buy her dress and I said yes, planning to get a white Easter dress at Costco for $18, not $480 worth of clothing for a growing child. We have to get the boys suits, too.

I don’t know who traditionally pays, but I’ve never heard of the flower girl picking her own dress?  The bride chooses it to coordinate with her flowers and the rest of the bridal party.

5 minutes ago, LauraBeth475 said:

I don’t know who traditionally pays, but I’ve never heard of the flower girl picking her own dress?  The bride chooses it to coordinate with her flowers and the rest of the bridal party.

She asked if we would buy her "a white dress" and I said yes. Now it's "this white dress" for almost $400 at David's Bridal and if we get it this month it will be just barely over $300. There are several problems with this from we don't have $300 to she will grow out of it before then.

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

She asked if we would buy her "a white dress" and I said yes. Now it's "this white dress" for almost $400 at David's Bridal and if we get it this month it will be just barely over $300. There are several problems with this from we don't have $300 to she will grow out of it before then.

What size? I have one. I used to have 2, but one got ruined. I paid. 

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would expect to pay for a dress of my choosing in the color of the bride’s choosing. And I would tell her that. If she wants to choose a different flower girl, she has time. 

You often don’t have money for food for the month. This is ridiculous. 

See, MIL tells a different story here. She says that we have paid for her to come out here, that we go on lavish vacations, all sorts of these things. If that were true then yes, I'd totally buy the shoes. They're adorable. I have to talk with her because I don't know what she thinks. Plus, she's having a bunch of fun planning and maybe she's just having fun planning..? I don't know. She just bought a $1,000 dress though. I was shocked. She wants to lose like 40 pounds but bought a dress? She's insanely stressed. The people who sell the dresses, the people who sell the flowers, the people who sell the cakes (I wonder what all of these people have in common) all tell her that if she doesn't plan it all now it will be a complete disaster.

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'll put her on a diet.

Thank you so much for the offer though!

Did she literally choose the most expensive dress in the store? I just looked up what we had from David's Bridal and it was only $40. I was mad that our bride changed her mind and made us buy new sashes but they were only an additional $24.

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Usually the parents of the flower girl pay, but I would never give in to that demand.  Even my tv personality and politician family member couple who had dd be their flower girl told me to just pick out something that somewhat matched the bride's style and color scheme (for the sash and bow).

I don't think she's selfishly demanding, I think she's not thinking.

2 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Plus one big possible major problem.  They might cancel the wedding.

Don't say that! 

3 minutes ago, Paige said:

Did she literally choose the most expensive dress in the store? I just looked up what we had from David's Bridal and it was only $40. I was mad that our bride changed her mind and made us buy new sashes but they were only an additional $24.

I have no idea what she's doing. I think that she's just giving in to every sales pitch and no one is helping her. There are issues there and I don't want to be rude but I think a lot of very poor decisions are going to be made over the next year.

And it's a publicly insulting the family booya. :ph34r:

• Sad 2

Slache, it is traditionally expected that the bridal party (flower girls included) buy their own attire that the bride chooses.

I would just tell SIL that you can only afford $50 (or whatever) on Mooie's outfit and let her decide how she wants to fix the problem -- either by choosing another dress, letting you choose the dress, or by choosing another flower girl.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Slache, it is traditionally expected that the bridal party (flower girls included) buy their own attire that the bride chooses.

I would just tell SIL that you can only afford $50 (or whatever) on Mooie's outfit and let her decide how she wants to fix the problem -- either by choosing another dress, letting you choose the dress, or by choosing another flower girl.

I was going to tell her we're not buying anything right now and let her settle a bit. I think I'll work this in. It's well worded. Thank you. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I know!  Dd's ended up coming from David's, but it was nowhere near that much!

The last 2 years Costco had beautiful pure white Easter dresses that would have been perfect. They were $24 but went on sale for $18. I was hoping to do that since we have 3 and now apparently we're buying them all new shoes, too.

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I just taste-tested the cobbler. Oh my word, y’all. It lives up to its name.

RECIPE!!?!?!

3 hours ago, LauraBeth475 said:

I have met my son’s girlfriend.  Slightly awkward.  (She’s a nice girl, just the first time he’s had a significant other.)

I have so far limited myself to one dessert.  We’ll call that good enough for the dieting.

congratulations on both points!  (Slightly awkward is better than one usually imagines.)  :biggrin:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

Susan, put the wine down.

I have been so sweaty all day.  It's worth celebrating!  (I'm sure my family agrees, at least!)  :biggrin:

I agree with Junie.  Maybe she's been watching the bridal shows for ideas and stuff, and just can't get in her mind the lovely, inexpensive options that are possible.  You're talking about August 2019?  Heavens, that's plenty of time.  She can get the church/venue booked and everything else can wait a while.  Maybe you could send her a picture of that Costco dress and see what she thinks?  Maybe without mentioning the Costco part?  :laugh:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I have been so sweaty all day.  It's worth celebrating!  (I'm sure my family agrees, at least!)  :biggrin:

I agree with Junie.  Maybe she's been watching the bridal shows for ideas and stuff, and just can't get in her mind the lovely, inexpensive options that are possible.  You're talking about August 2019?  Heavens, that's plenty of time.  She can get the church/venue booked and everything else can wait a while.  Maybe you could send her a picture of that Costco dress and see what she thinks?  Maybe without mentioning the Costco part?  :laugh:

She's doing everything now. Flowers, cake, invitations. She's even altering her dress despite the fact that she wants to lose weight saying she'll just alter it again. I don't understand! 

• Confused 1

I am egg.zos.ted. The children are high on fireworks excitement which is better than "dying the death of sadness" which John was doing earlier because it's cloudy* and he didn't think we would see anything. 

*I know this word in Japanese. Thought you should know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

The internet says we pay unless she wants a specific thing, then she has to.

Screenshot_20180704-214718_Samsung Internet_1530755247306.jpg

It's the Internet here with an update. Here is the proper etiquette:

"Those are adorable. We will do our best to match them within the budget. If you have a specific brand preference we would be happy to wear whatever you purchase and return to you, or to rent if they are available."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

RECIPE!!?!?!

congratulations on both points!  (Slightly awkward is better than one usually imagines.)  :biggrin:

Recipe for Bad A$$ cobbler

turn oven on to 350. Put a cube of butter in 9 x13 pan, put pan in oven as it is warming up to melt the butter.

while butter is melting slice up enough fruit to fill pan about half way. (3-4 cups) and mix with 1 Cup sugar.

in another bowl whisk 3/4 c flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 tsp. Salt and 2 tsp. Baking powder. 

When butter is melted, pour batter into 9x13 pan over the butter. Then spoon fruit on top of batter evenly. 

Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes until crust is golden brown and looks done.

*i generally make this with peaches, but tonight I combined peaches, nectarines and threw in a handful or two of blueberries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

The kids are sleeping in this morning since they were up so late last night.  Later this morning we have an appointment at the passport office - I need to fill out paperwork and get all the documents and copies together.  This afternoon the girls have violin/viola lessons.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Warning!  EdPo!  Avert yer eyeballs!  

Reported!

I need to start getting things together for the school year.  I still haven't given out the past end-of-year giftbooks (I should be getting the last two in the mail today) and I need to write inscriptions in all of them.  But I do need to register/pay the umbrella for the up coming year and get all the ducks in a row before our trip to MN in 3 weeks.  I think I actually have most of what we need except dd9's math workbooks (Singapore), Writing & Rhetoric, and Reasoning & Reading.  And pull together a medieval reading list to go along with middle ages/SOTW 2, find a few literature guides, figure out ds13's English, and I'd better get a list going.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!L~D

I am up early due to: hot flashes and coughing. The AC dries the air out so much and my stuffy nose makes me breathe through my mouth. Coughing. Bleh!!

Not much on the docket for today. The house is still a wreck. I need to get to the post office, and then run to church and drop off the balance of DD1’s camp $$. She leaves for camp in Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

What Slashie said!!?

actually, it’s a cube of butter. 1/2 cup.

1/2 cup makes sense to me.  I have never heard of a cube of butter.  On the East Coast we call it a stick of butter.

I just found out last week (when I was searching Amazon for a butter dish) that East Coast and West Coast have differently-shaped butter.  

http://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/whats-the-difference-between-east-coast-and-west-coast-butter

• Like 3