Menu

Ignore this thread!

Also, good morning!!

It's exactly 1 week until we leave for Colorado. I'm nervous. Not sure why...I mean, we'll either get a 'yes' or a 'no'. It's like I'm afraid of the 'yes', but also afraid of the 'no'.

There's no happy medium right now. I think it'll be a fun trip, though.

We're going to go to the Denver Aquarium on Sunday; they have a mermaid show and we're going to make sure Riv gets to see it. I'm pretty sure that's going to be her life calling.

And, then DH has planned to take us to Maggiano's, an Italian restaurant he really likes. (I was apparently rich in a former life because the meal I REALLY REALLY REALLY want is $50!!)

EDIT: It's an expensive, nervous mermaid booyah in Colorado!

Sounds like a great trip!! Woohoo!!
  • Like 1

Good morning. I remembered my bedtime pills and had really really good sleep last night. It also helped that it is Saturday and the galumphing elephants weren’t out and about.

It bothers me a bit that I am so dependent on my meds to be able to sleep. They aren’t sleep aids. They just keep my body in check so that it doesn’t try to kill me during the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I have pretty severe social anxiety. The best friends I have ever had are ones that just kept coming to me, talking to me, regardless of how awkward I was. I try to be friendly and polite, but I never know what to say. Then I open my mouth and make things weird. Eventually, I open up and can hold a semi-normal conversation, but it takes a steady stream of continued interaction to get to that point.

So just keep talking to her, even if it's awkward. Be prepared to carry the conversation until she's ready.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone who replied to this.

It is super helpful for the real life interactions. Should I just drop the online ones? Or keep going? I mainly asked if she wanted to get together for tea or coffee. I don't want to push. I just want to be kind and say I care and I am okay stepping back.

Good afternoon! I am not ketchupped.

Susan - I now know way more than I ever wanted to know about the integumentary system. But A & P has been graded. :hat:

Me too! I have also learned RUNDERCLISM, in case you are needing an acronym for the systems of the human body. :D

The mid-state orchestra concerts went very well. The kids worked very hard and even though dd15 was in the back of her section, she learned her music so well that she was really helping keep the section together. I am glad we are done driving way out there!

They performed one of my all-time favorite works for string orchestra - St. Paul's Suite by Gustav Holst, which he wrote for St. Paul's Girls' School where he was music director for almost 30 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sxbj1AKrj8

They also did this beautiful piece by John Williams:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8yj_ewTc8d8

Dd11 believes her two budgies are performing mating rituals. The pet store told us they were both females, but dd11 has maintained almost from the beginning that Willow is a boy.

I need coffee. It's cold and windy and my harbor chime is ringing and I'm going to be a couch (or bed) vegetable for a while.

• Like 5

Because crepes are for strawberries and brie.

Or mushroom wine sauce.

And so the 12 Days of Kristen’s Birthday continues with...... dinner out tonight with DH.💕💕💕

:hurray:

I had Swedish fish today.

Where's ikslo?

Despite the fact that I am Swedish, I have never eaten a Swedish fish.

Animals will surround me

They don't care how hot

Hubby opened a window

An inverted haiku - cool! 😎

Here!

Found her!

It is super helpful for the real life interactions. Should I just drop the online ones? Or keep going? I mainly asked if she wanted to get together for tea or coffee. I don't want to push. I just want to be kind and say I care and I am okay stepping back.

Getting together with someone for coffee is a relatively terrifying event for me if it's someone I haven't known for 20 years. It is easier for me if there is a small group of people or family and I can lurk in the background if needed. Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

One thing I am figuring out is the complexity and variety of adult relationships. Being friends with someone does not have to look the same way with each person you have in your life. My BFF of 35 years is my most comprehensive relationship. We text every day, get together for lunch once or twice a year, go to Homeschool Conventjon with each other every other year. I have another friend i’ve Been friends with for 10+ years and even though she lives on the next block, we never see each other. We are both incredibly busy. We went through a time in our early friendship where we tried to do the whole, “let’s get together†thing, but it never happened. She’s got 6 kids, I have five. Life is insane. We don’t text, we don’t go out for COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸ But when we see each other at church and have a few minutes we visit and just pick right back up where we left off. We’re close friends. I have several other friends with varying unspoken terms of friendship and I always thought that being friends with people meant that you had to do certain things to maintain that friendship, but i’m Discovering that is not always the case. I have a friend I see once a year at family camp. We don’t communicate during the year, but we always set aside a few hours at family camp to visit with each other. And as far as online friendships go.... as much as I love you ITT gals, and I do consider y’all my friends, for me, I think it would be awkward to meet in person. So, I guess what i’m Saying is... I don’t know what I’m sayIng. There are no hard and fast “rulesâ€for friendships. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Happy weekend, fabulous people! Today is warmer (43*!) but muddy. I am finally keeping my head up without so much effort, and looking at the beautiful. There's an awful lot of beautiful, isn't there?

Starting with coffee.

Planning post! Avert your eyes! Reported!

The hanging file thread got me thinking about how I plan. We've been winging it, which works okay but carries a lot of stress fatigue. I tried the file filder system, and took a few things from it that I liked, but it was too...I don't know. Just too. There wasn't the flexibility I needed, and I just don't have time to put all that work into the front end, so it ended up being another thing I was behind in. I seem to deal in all or nothing when it comes to planning (though I'm not really like that in other areas), but it's not working for me. So I'm going to try thoroughly planning, preparing, and making photocopies for one week at a time. I'm going to build it into the time I have set aside for food prep and whatnot on Saturday/Sunday, when DH has agreed to be responsible for little people. I think I can be prepped in about an hour, including making sure I have all the supplies I need and making a checklist.

What's your favorite way to plan?

So much has depended on the ages of my kids.  When they were little, I planned whole curricula of my own (basically my own TOG) for a year at a time.  Then I would plan about ten weeks at a time.  Then one week at a time.  Now so much is "do the next thing in the book" so I don't plan that other than perhaps the first week just to see how it will shake out so dd just does the next thing.  (Basically, the curriculum developers have planned the chapters so that they will be done in a week so I don't have to).  But there are a couple of subjects that need to be planned each week. 

• Like 4

Happy weekend, fabulous people! Today is warmer (43*!) but muddy. I am finally keeping my head up without so much effort, and looking at the beautiful. There's an awful lot of beautiful, isn't there?

Starting with coffee.

The hanging file thread got me thinking about how I plan. We've been winging it, which works okay but carries a lot of stress fatigue. I tried the file filder system, and took a few things from it that I liked, but it was too...I don't know. Just too. There wasn't the flexibility I needed, and I just don't have time to put all that work into the front end, so it ended up being another thing I was behind in. I seem to deal in all or nothing when it comes to planning (though I'm not really like that in other areas), but it's not working for me. So I'm going to try thoroughly planning, preparing, and making photocopies for one week at a time. I'm going to build it into the time I have set aside for food prep and whatnot on Saturday/Sunday, when DH has agreed to be responsible for little people. I think I can be prepped in about an hour, including making sure I have all the supplies I need and making a checklist.

I took a piece of paper and folded it 3 times for 6 sections because I wanted 6 terms. I wanted to complete a geography program with 36 lessons so I planned on 6 lessons per term which means one a week. Lessons are printed and bound and I have a weekly checklist on my phone that looks like this:

Spanish: 42, 43, 44, 45

Grammar: 37, 38, 39

Spelling: 17, 18

History: 13, 14, 15

Geography: 21

I recently switched from a daily schedule to a weekly one to allow for more grace.

Things that are done daily are printed, bound and finished when they're finished.

Books are read aloud at leisure and finished when they're finished.

I live off a clipboard with a routine instead of a schedule and have attached Monday's routine. All possibilities are listed including all of school and all of housework but not everything is done every day or every week.

Or mushroom wine sauce.

:ohmy:

Monday.pdf

• Like 2

I'm a visual person so folding the paper and seeing everything listed was very helpful to me. I could see that we were doing too much of this, not enough of this, this should not be scheduled and this student has too much of a workload. I used colored pens to separate students.

• Like 1

Lesson planning...

We were recently discussing this in a FB homeschool group and this one mom had an awesomely amazing routine.  

She gets a hotel room.  For herself.  !!!!!!!!!!  

She plans for the entire year for most of the subjects.  Gets a hotel room for the weekend, brings ALL her stuff, some good wine, and she binge plans.  

When I read that I was all    :001_tt1:  :drool5:

So ladies, whatever it is that you do...see if you can squeeze in a weekend at the hotel to have the peace and quiet to think about it.  I'm totally doing this.  Twice a year...for 2/3 of my planning sessions, lol.  

• Like 6

Vr thing? Nowhere anytime soon. Just wanted brands to look at. Watching for thr price drop on that one. You have ideas?

There's a member that is always talking about Lenova commercial quality refurbished pcs but I don't remember who it is. Maybe MarkT? I also don't remember what websites were the best to buy. See how much help I am? I also don't know what a vr is. Where are you watching price drops?

• Like 1

Starting with coffee.

I make a master list of assignments for each subject for the whole year up front. Then each week I just plug in the next assignments into a checklist, print what needs printing, gather supplies, etc. Sometimes we decide we want to learn a skill or something that's not on my list. In that case, I press pause on the master list until we learn whatever it is, then just pick up where we left off.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I love the planning ideas, thank you! I made a simple table in Word for each kid and for our together stuff. I'm going to take a minute and fill it out with what I hope to do this week. I'll prep all the stuff for that plan, keep it all in my binder, and write down what we actually do each day in my binder.

I did the time audit recently. Turns out, I average about 6 minutes dedicated to a task before I have to deal with a kid emergency. Really eye opening! No wonder I feel like I never get anything done! 😆 Intervals ranged from 2 minutes to 10 minutes, and I decided I'm giving myself more grace, effective immediately. I get quite a lot done each day, just in fits and spurts.

I'm setting a personal goal to exercise each day, get ready for the day before the kids are up each morning, and drink 100 oz of water daily.

I'm supposed to get up at 5. The kids are not allowed to get up until 7.

Oh I want a weekend hotel room to binge plan! That would be so fun!

Doesn't that sound amazing?  Get a hotel with a good breakfast buffet and an attached restaurant and you'd be set, lol.  

I was thinking it would be even more fun to have a whole bunch of homeschool moms (or dads...whatevs) rent a block of rooms.  Plan all day, then gather at night for some fun.  A homeschool planning retreat!!!  

• Like 6

The mid-state orchestra concerts went very well. The kids worked very hard and even though dd15 was in the back of her section, she learned her music so well that she was really helping keep the section together. I am glad we are done driving way out there!

They performed one of my all-time favorite works for string orchestra - St. Paul's Suite by Gustav Holst, which he wrote for St. Paul's Girls' School where he was music director for almost 30 years.

They also did this beautiful piece by John Williams:

I wonder how much practice Gymnast needs to play like this...

Home from work. I smell mostly like dog and need to remedy that. Planning to write, write, write, proof and paint. It says so on my to-do list.

To plan:

Assemble books, pile on table

Grab nearest legal pad

Title headings

Figure out six weeks

Write out week one

Hope for the best

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure I could plan better if I got breakfast in bed followed by a leisurely walk to a waterfall, then got to sit out on the deck overlooking the falls whilst sipping lemonade and reflecting on all that truth, goodness and beauty. :laugh:

Of course, I might fall asleep first...

• Like 3

Planning is my hobby. I could never confine myself to just one weekend of it! But I’ll come to the after party. I vote we wear costumes. It can be like homeschooling ComicCon!

Actually, why is this not already a thing? I might actually go to a homeschooling convention if I got to dress up...

My costume is a person who wears pants. No one really seemed to notice.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I could plan better if I got breakfast in bed followed by a leisurely walk to a waterfall, then got to sit out on the deck overlooking the falls whilst sipping lemonade and reflecting on all that truth, goodness and beauty. :laugh:

Of course, I might fall asleep first...

Aww heck...who COULDN'T plan better with all that?!

I don't NEED all that though.  I just need a place where nobody knows my name... :lol:   

Also...I'm down for a costume comicCon homeschool retreat/convention/whatever!  

• Like 4

I'm supposed to get up at 5. The kids are not allowed to get up until 7.

The kids are not allowed to get up until 8 has changed to the kids are not allowed to make noise until 8.  I have late sleepers and early risers in both of the girls' rooms.  The early risers get up and read on the sofa.

ETA:  It's a Let Me Sleep Booyah!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

I took a piece of paper and folded it 3 times for 6 sections because I wanted 6 terms. I wanted to complete a geography program with 36 lessons so I planned on 6 lessons per term which means one a week. Lessons are printed and bound and I have a weekly checklist on my phone that looks like this:

Spanish: 42, 43, 44, 45

Grammar: 37, 38, 39

Spelling: 17, 18

History: 13, 14, 15

Geography: 21

I recently switched from a daily schedule to a weekly one to allow for more grace.

Things that are done daily are printed, bound and finished when they're finished.

Books are read aloud at leisure and finished when they're finished.

I live off a clipboard with a routine instead of a schedule and have attached Monday's routine. All possibilities are listed including all of school and all of housework but not everything is done every day or every week.

I might copy this.  :)

I'm painting on rice paper because it's difficult and forces me to be loose with the paint. I painted a road lined with sunflowers that I saw last fall. It was swarming with butterflies of every stripe and color when I was there. Not sure how I will convey that with paint, but the sunflowers look pretty anyway.

• Like 2

I wonder how much practice Gymnast needs to play like this...

It's a marathon, not a sprint! :) It might encourage you to know that my kids didn't start playing their instruments until they were 9/10 years old. 8yo for my youngest - so gymnast has a head start on all of them. And there is so much wonderful music in between! 🎶🎻🎶

• Like 6

I'm painting on rice paper because it's difficult and forces me to be loose with the paint. I painted a road lined with sunflowers that I saw last fall. It was swarming with butterflies of every stripe and color when I was there. Not sure how I will convey that with paint, but the sunflowers look pretty anyway.

I don't understand "loose with paint" but the painting sounds wonderful!

• Like 1

I have been smelling chili all day.   :ack2:

I don't particularly like chili, but dh does so he is making it.

With my migraines, my sense of smell is heightened along with sounds and light.

I'm fine with him making chili, it just smells disgusting to me.

The smell of it actually woke me up this morning and I dreamed about it this afternoon.  Yes, I was smelling it in my sleep. 

Dh was surprised I could smell it at all first thing this morning.  He couldn't smell it in the kitchen yet, and our bedroom is on the other side of the house with the door shut.

I told him that if smell was like TV, he was smelling thinks on the scale of the TV in our living room and I was smelling on the scale of THX in the movie theater.

What I have learned today:  I think that aromatherapy might be helpful.  Maybe something relaxing like lavender; not chili.

• Like 3

The smell of it actually woke me up this morning and I dreamed about it this afternoon.  Yes, I was smelling it in my sleep. 

Dh was surprised I could smell it at all first thing this morning.  He couldn't smell it in the kitchen yet, and our bedroom is on the other side of the house with the door shut.

I told him that if smell was like TV, he was smelling thinks on the scale of the TV in our living room and I was smelling on the scale of THX in the movie theater.

What I have learned today:  I think that aromatherapy might be helpful.  Maybe something relaxing like lavender; not chili.

Did you know that certain smells can trigger nightmares? Yep. I make a point of not cleaning litter boxes right before bedtime as a result.

• Like 1

DH cannot abide the smell of mushrooms cooking. When I want stuffed mushrooms, or want them on my pizza, I have to make them when he's going to be out of the house all day. I make large quantities and freeze them in individual serving sizes for pizza.

I love mushrooms. :sad: So sad that he can't even stand to smell them.

• Like 1

DH cannot abide the smell of mushrooms cooking. When I want stuffed mushrooms, or want them on my pizza, I have to make them when he's going to be out of the house all day. I make large quantities and freeze them in individual serving sizes for pizza.

I love mushrooms. :sad: So sad that he can't even stand to smell them.

Does he eat them?

• Like 1

Is the cumin, or another spice? I like chili, but there are certain spices that would trigger that  :ack2:  response (well, when I was pregnant). If that is the case, maybe he can learn to make the chili without it. There are many different ways to make it.

• Like 2

The kids are not allowed to get up until 8 has changed to the kids are not allowed to make noise until 8.  I have late sleepers and early risers in both of the girls' rooms.  The early risers get up and read on the sofa.

ETA:  It's a Let Me Sleep Booyah!

If mine hear me at 5 they'll say they're ready to get up and then they're broken for the rest of the day, so I make them sleep.

I might copy this.  :)

It's the most malleable system I've seen. We tried "do the next thing" in non daily things and it was a big mom fail so we did a daily schedule and I got frustrated when we fell behind so this works well as a compromise. We are behind in our books though because of rabbit trails so you need to either schedule them or be willing to fall behind.

• Like 2

Except for getting up and doing things here and there, I have been in the recliner for almost four hours! Seems much shorter.

I took a second dose of Prednisone (to make it 40) and it knocked me out! I had all these grand decluttering plans today. I passed out for about 20-30 minutes. I still plan to do the decluttering job - sometime today - but right now I'm wrapping up next week's Spanish presentation while the ideas are fresh in my mind. (When I do a new class, I have to adjust the plans according to the ability of the students in the class, so I'm rearranging some things.)

• Like 1

I cannot put off using the evil evil vacuum any longer. Sigh. Going to start with the stairs which I never got to last time because it is so hard. At least this way if I collapse halfway, I will have done the stairs. . .

There was a post in my Pinterest feed once "Eight Reasons You Should Hire a Housekeeper." Honey, I don't need you to convince me, I just need you to pay for it.

• Like 7

I love mushrooms. :sad: So sad that he can't even stand to smell them.

That’s how I feel about the smell of fish. :ack2:
  • Like 1