• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

The Choir Boy who loves dd8 is hoping she can go to The Halloween Musician's Madhouse at the university where choir meets so they can "walk around together and get scared and stuff". :D Apparently, he also said she looked really hot in her new jacket. :glare:

What the what? He's 8??? Is this normal? Because maybe I love on another planet, but on Planet JJM, this not normal and not okay. (The thinking she's "hot" part.)

• Like 4

The Choir Boy who loves dd8 is hoping she can go to The Halloween Musician's Madhouse at the university where choir meets so they can "walk around together and get scared and stuff". :D Apparently, he also said she looked really hot in her new jacket. :glare:

Does the ENB need to have a little talk with Choir Boy? Hmmm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

What the what? He's 8??? Is this normal? Because maybe I love on another planet, but on Planet JJM, this not normal and not okay. (The thinking she's "hot" part.)

Does the ENB need to have a little talk with Choir Boy? Hmmm?

It's possible that the ENB will need to be mobilized. It's also possible that it's just something he heard his dad telling his mom. (His dad is a country singer, after all. ) Probably a frequently heard comment after she's been processing chickens and performing cow c-sections. :lol: Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

:lol:

Methinks the boy doth try too hard...

• Like 2

Add me to the crying list.  There's a lot going on behind the scenes here, and it's wearing on me.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Heck, hugs for us ALL!  We obviously need them (and we deserve them!).   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

We watched more Baseball and ate buttermilk pie. I reduced the sugar in my pie to avoid having it too sweet and not buttermilk like enough. It set up great, and proved to be so delicious and rich that we only had very small servings. I expect to make it again sometime.

• Like 3

If you peer myopically at the chicken and dumplings after I put in double the amount of chicken called for in the recipe and ask querulously if there is any meat in there I might not be polite.

This is where I hand off the spoon and say, "You check."

• Like 1

A middle-aged man just gave dd the once over in the grocery store. :(

:toetap05:  :toetap05:  :toetap05:   He had better be simply admiring the way she dressed and hoping to get an idea for a birthday present for his own daughter.

Where's my nightstick?  I feel the need to tap it....

• Like 5

Ducks had a near-perfect New England in the Fall weekend.  Weather was heavenly.  Leaves were at peak.  View from the cabin was gorgeous, especially early in the morning when the water was like glass. 

Ds3 hiked 1.5 miles all the way to to the tippy top of a very steep mountain with lots of sheer cliffs awl by hisself and loved every minute of it.   He then gave a knowing grin from the backpack carrier while the rest of us struggled all the way back down.  

We all ate chex mix with m+m's.  And ice cream.  And pasta.   Two times each.

Dd7 guessed that Colonel Mustard did it with the Wrench in the Conservatory, and guessed it right.  Dh got her priceless reaction to guessing it right all on video.  It is possibly my favoritest home video ever. 

So glad we had the chance to go.  And glad I'm taking this week off of school or I'd be really really depressed.  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 11

Critique is done and put away. I'm putting together the next sheet for editing my novel for the ninth time. DH told me he thinks I'm done. My beta reader said she thinks I'm done. I don't think I'm done. I've got to look it over at least one more time before I come to that conclusion.

• Like 4

Ducks had a near-perfect New England in the Fall weekend. Weather was heavenly. Leaves were at peak. View from the cabin was gorgeous, especially early in the morning when the water was like glass.

Ds3 hiked 1.5 miles all the way to to the tippy top of a very steep mountain with lots of sheer cliffs awl by hisself and loved every minute of it. He then gave a knowing grin from the backpack carrier while the rest of us struggled all the way back down.

We all ate chex mix with m+m's. And ice cream. And pasta. Two times each.

Dd7 guessed that Colonel Mustard did it with the Wrench in the Conservatory, and guessed it right. Dh got her priceless reaction to guessing it right all on video. It is possibly my favoritest home video ever.

So glad we had the chance to go. And glad I'm taking this week off of school or I'd be really really depressed.

:wub:

• Like 1

We watched more Baseball and ate buttermilk pie. I reduced the sugar in my pie to avoid having it too sweet and not buttermilk like enough. It set up great, and proved to be so delicious and rich that we only had very small servings. I expect to make it again sometime.

We are going to need the recipe! (With sugar adjustment.)

• Like 1

I could be misinterpreting but it felt skeevy. And she has a baby face, she definitely looks 11 from the front, and he stopped to talk to her when I wasn’t there yet. She didn’t notice anything off but it really weirded me out. We had a talk about how if someone makes you uncomfortable you ask them to leave you alone, please, and if they don’t back off immediately they are a bad person you don’t have to worry about being polite or making a scene, you stand up for yourself. Hopefully paired with dh’s Krav Maga strategy talks...it just makes me wonder if I shouldn’t let her go separate from me at the store...but I was a latch key kid at that age!

I really hope it wasn't anything. I have a pretty underdeveloped intuition about such things, though. I don't think it would be wrong at all to have her stay with you in the store, though. 

• Like 2

Buttermilk Pie

Pie crust of choice--I made a GF crust--pre-bake the crust. Allow to cool slightly while making the filling. Oven to 350.

8 tbsp butter, melted (very soft at the very least)

1 and 1/2 cups sugar

3 eggs

3 tbsp all-purpose flour (My GF mix worked just fine)

1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk

dash nutmeg (or a little more--I like nutmeg)

1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix butter and sugar. Add eggs and the flour, stir well. Stir in buttermilk, nutmeg and vanilla. I mixed all of that in a quart mixing cup. Pour into the pie shell. Bake at 350F for 45 min. Allow to cool for about two hours. That was as long as I could wait, and it set up fine. I had a little extra filling because I've got a shallow pie plate, but the equal parts of buttermilk and sugar made it sweet without being cloying. You could probably get by with less butter, too. But it sure makes the pie very rich so a small piece is very satisfying. 

• Like 3

I could be misinterpreting but it felt skeevy. And she has a baby face, she definitely looks 11 from the front, and he stopped to talk to her when I wasn’t there yet. She didn’t notice anything off but it really weirded me out. We had a talk about how if someone makes you uncomfortable you ask them to leave you alone, please, and if they don’t back off immediately they are a bad person you don’t have to worry about being polite or making a scene, you stand up for yourself. Hopefully paired with dh’s Krav Maga strategy talks...it just makes me wonder if I shouldn’t let her go separate from me at the store...but I was a latch key kid at that age!

:grouphug:

The bolded above bothers me the most.    Friendly little old ladies talking to my toddlers is one thing; but I can't think of many situations in which it would be appropriate for a middle-aged man who is a stranger to strike up a conversation with an 11 year-old girl whose mom isn't right beside her.  Heck, even if her mom IS there.  

On one hand, aspects of the whole "free-range kids" thing really resonate with me*, but then I'm reminded that this internet age has a very dark side that didn't exist when we were kids, and,.... I don't know.   

*Just to clarify...I'm only bringing up "Free Range Kids" because I read the book a while ago and it prompted a LOT of discussion between myself and dh.  Not because your dd was separated from you in the store.  Dh is letting our own kids do this more and more now too, and even so I'm uneasy with it.  

• Like 3

Ducks had a near-perfect New England in the Fall weekend.  Weather was heavenly.  Leaves were at peak.  View from the cabin was gorgeous, especially early in the morning when the water was like glass. 

Ds3 hiked 1.5 miles all the way to to the tippy top of a very steep mountain with lots of sheer cliffs awl by hisself and loved every minute of it.   He then gave a knowing grin from the backpack carrier while the rest of us struggled all the way back down.  

We all ate chex mix with m+m's.  And ice cream.  And pasta.   Two times each.

Dd7 guessed that Colonel Mustard did it with the Wrench in the Conservatory, and guessed it right.  Dh got her priceless reaction to guessing it right all on video.  It is possibly my favoritest home video ever. 

So glad we had the chance to go.  And glad I'm taking this week off of school or I'd be really really depressed.  

That sounds heavenly. I'm glad you had  great time!!!

• Like 1

Sounds poifect!!

I wanted to move to Vermont when the original Baby Boom movie came out.

One of my fave song a as a teen was Barry Manilow's "Weekend in New England."

I've never been farther north than Baltimore. 😒

I've been to Boston. And Baltimore. Not sure I'd fit in on the East Coast. It's like a different country. On some continents, it would be a different country.

• Like 4