Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am distressed.  (Mildly.  I'm a strong woman and will get over myself.)

We have flies.  I mean 20 flies swarming the living room as we speak and at least 50 on the fly paper I put up in the kitchen window.  And I cannot find out where they are coming from.  My house is messy, not dirty.  I have supervised and policed all litter boxes for the last week just to make sure that wasn't the cause.  It hasn't been in the past and doesn't appear to be the cause now but it seemed like a good place to start.  I did find one sealed bag with rotten potatoes in the back of a cabinet and have properly disposed of it.  Other than that, I've got nothing.  Why are there flies?  This actually could be the cause of my tummy problems. 

I think that Slache should come clean for me and I will babysit her kids.  We will do messy art and science projects with dd and will have a blast.  Sounds like a plan, right?  Right, Slache? 

• Like 4

Next you’ll tell me JJM isn’t teaching AOPS in Latin while galloping bareback across the plains with her waist length blonde hair rippling in the wind...

Shoulder length dark blond.

We have flies.  I mean 20 flies swarming the living room as we speak and at least 50 on the fly paper I put up in the kitchen window.  And I cannot find out where they are coming from.  My house is messy, not dirty.  I have supervised and policed all litter boxes for the last week just to make sure that wasn't the cause.  It hasn't been in the past and doesn't appear to be the cause now but it seemed like a good place to start.  I did find one sealed bag with rotten potatoes in the back of a cabinet and have properly disposed of it.  Other than that, I've got nothing.  Why are there flies?  This actually could be the cause of my tummy problems. 

I think that Slache should come clean for me and I will babysit her kids.  We will do messy art and science projects with dd and will have a blast.  Sounds like a plan, right?  Right, Slache?

I am so sorry! Not the dishwasher, garbage disposal or cans? No new soaps or candles? The animals? Like a laceration in Libby under the fur. Don't answer me I'm just throwing ideas out there. I have a very hard time believing your house is dirty enough to attract flies without you knowing the cause so I assume it's something strange like a scab on the dog. Check all the closets just in case.
  • Like 1

This child of mine has spent the last 30 minutes watching "How It's Made" videos. Wanna know what got it all started? 
Batteries. She spent the first 15-20 minutes watching videos of how alkaline batteries are made. 

"Mom, you've got to watch this. This is just so very interesting." 

Now we're on to jelly beans and jawbreakers. 
She gets it from me and my dad. We've always loved this kind of stuff. I remember my favorite episode on Sesame Street being the crayon factory. 

**I typed too long. Now she's wanting to watch Cosmic Kids Yoga. (She doesn't do it. She just watches. haha) 

• Like 8

Next you’ll tell me JJM isn’t teaching AOPS in Latin while galloping bareback across the plains with her waist length blonde hair rippling in the wind...

Shooting orcs with a machine gun...

Whew.  Glad you got that last part in.  Because that's the BEST.

• Like 7

Um, Jean?  I don't think flies are like that.  They just come in because they can and because they are evil little poopyheads.  It's not a question of cleanliness or smells.

ETA:  It's a buggy booya.  Really?

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 7

Where'd ya find those?

Youtube! 

I just searched "How are batteries made". I used to show my students the How's It Made videos when we were waiting on the bus, so I figured we would have some luck. 

(There are videos about making things like condoms, so if you don't want your kids seeing things like that, you may not want to set them loose with that channel. :D ) 

• Like 2

Are there any random dead animals around the house or under a crawl space?  We had tons of flies for awhile due to just having raw meat outside to grill. It wasn't even out there a long time and amount of flies that came was awful!

Have you bleached the sink drains? Did any meat go down the drain/garbage disposal? 

• Like 1

Um, Jean?  I don't think flies are like that.  They just come in because they can and because they are evil little poopyheads.  It's not a question of cleanliness or smells.

Yes. I think they think it's cold outside.

Jo loves AoPS.  Jo loves/hates Latin.  I hate that they are both monumental time sucks and that Latin is causing tears.  I don't think tears (genuine tears, not just emotional drama tears) should evereverever be a part of school.

Agreed. Sowy.
  • Like 2

:willy_nilly: Why did no one tell me this? I have been doing it all wrong! :willy_nilly:

Seriously. I came home from work today and DS was bent over his half-done pile of work crying. We snuggled and all is well, but :willy_nilly: I was kidding earlier!!!!!!

• Like 2

Jo loves AoPS.  Jo loves/hates Latin.  I hate that they are both monumental time sucks and that Latin is causing tears.  I don't think tears (genuine tears, not just emotional drama tears) should evereverever be a part of school.

:willy_nilly:  Why did no one tell me this?  I have been doing it all wrong!  :willy_nilly:

FWIW, I think most tears are of the emotional drama variety. We've been having tears of the crushed and broken-hearted variety; it is those that I think are just wrong.

• Like 2

I think everyone's grocery store is affected at this point. (Even HEB, TX folks!)

Sorry you are having issues, Jean.  

Uh oh.  I just picked up supper at the local non-chain store.  I bought 3 bags of prepared salad, some chocolate cheesecake (because boy, I need a fix right now!), and a freezer meal to put in a pan.

I intended to pick up grill meat.  I stood in front of the meat display in a stupor, unable to think of what to get or how to prepare it (duh, s&p and have DH or DD16 grill it!).  I bought a freezer meal to heat up in a pan, because it has instructions.  I can read and follow the instructions (I think).

I visited 3 separate assisted living places and attempted a 4th, and NONE of them are ones I want to consider.  I spent most of the day on this.  DH says I did accomplish something, and I responded that I had no satisfaction from this accomplishment.  DH reminded me I got these 4 places crossed off the list so Dad and I won't waste any further time or consideration on them.

I need chocolate.  I need cheesecake.  It's still frozen.   :zombie:

• Like 6

What veggies?

Feel better soon, Jean!!

BOOYA!!!!

I found this article:  http://6abc.com/food/walmart-trader-joes-more-veggies-recalled-for-listeria-fears/2557605/

Basically it sounds like it's Mann Packaging, and they are recalling stuff because ONE randomly tested bag indicated a trace of listeria.  No one has reported sick yet, but they are being cautious.

I checked my salad bags bought today.  They are a different packaging company, and this is after the recalled date range.  I think we are good.

• Like 1

Oh, no! :grouphug: for ikslo, jr.

Thanks. Today he was crushed. He felt he had been working hard all afternoon and wasn’t even half-way done when I got home. Once I found out he had started with math (word problems!), I gave him a pass. But he really was feeling defeated. Poor guy.

Uh oh.  I just picked up supper at the local non-chain store.  I bought 3 bags of prepared salad, some chocolate cheesecake (because boy, I need a fix right now!), and a freezer meal to put in a pan.

I visited 3 separate assisted living places and attempted a 4th, and NONE of them are ones I want to consider.  I spent most of the day on this.  DH says I did accomplish something, and I responded that I had no satisfaction from this accomplishment.  DH reminded me I got these 4 places crossed off the list so Dad and I won't waste any further time or consideration on them.

------------

Sorry, quote went wrong.

Can I tell you, from experience, that you are doing awesome at checking out places now before there is a major crisis? Because it is really awful if your family refuses to let you look, then a major health catastrophe happens, and there are no good placements available.  (Or, worse, you finally end up in a good placement but then crazy family intervenes, the police are called because of crazy family behavior, and the next week the placed person is asked to leave the facility and be placed elsewhere.)

• Like 3

Has anyone noticed my lack of accomplishment today?

You accomplished stuff, just like I accomplished stuff.  It just wasn't satisfying stuff to accomplish.  It lies, telling you you accomplished nothing.

Stinkin' stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks. Today he was crushed. He felt he had been working hard all afternoon and wasn’t even half-way done when I got home. Once I found out he had started with math (word problems!), I gave him a pass. But he really was feeling defeated. Poor guy.

Boy, have I been there!

• Like 1

I :wub: you too. Sorry its a crying day.

I want to cry on my end, too, in frustration and fatigue.

FIL is on his way over to pick something up.  It's his birthday.  No crying until FIL has come and gone.  

Is that chocolate cheesecake thawed yet?...

• Like 2

Seriously. I came home from work today and DS was bent over his half-done pile of work crying. We snuggled and all is well, but :willy_nilly: I was kidding earlier!!!!!!

Neither of the girls, nor I, could get our brains to work this morning, so I declared today is Tuesday class time and tomorrow will be Monday's.  Mondays are our heavy days.

Now I don't want to face tomorrow.

• Like 1

Frozen cheesecake, just one bite, leaves a lot of savoring potential in the mouth.

I've had 531 calories today and I have 669 remaining. I have 31g of fat available if I want to use it. Suggestions? I am super hungry but not craving sweets.

Guacamole.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

• Like 1

------------

Sorry, quote went wrong.

Can I tell you, from experience, that you are doing awesome at checking out places now before there is a major crisis? Because it is really awful if your family refuses to let you look, then a major health catastrophe happens, and there are no good placements available.  (Or, worse, you finally end up in a good placement but then crazy family intervenes, the police are called because of crazy family behavior, and the next week the placed person is asked to leave the facility and be placed elsewhere.)

Yeah, thanks, I do know.  But they all keep asking me questions I don't have answers to yet, as if I should already be at the point of moving Dad in.  Even the places with waiting lists....

We have flies, too. They are gross.

I need chocolate cheesecake, too. And I, too, feel like crying. I feel like I have a bunch of SN kids (they all struggle so much with school) , and I don't know what the heck I'm doing and everywhere I look the house is a mess and someone is crying or fighting or watching too much TV.

But I have COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ And a pile of laundry on my bed, which means that I can prop the iPad up and binge watch "Friends" and fold laundry.

And it is a beautiful afternoon. It's sunny and the trees look like they are thinking about turning color.

• Like 3