Menu

Ignore this thread!

:svengo:

But this is a life skill!  How will they learn it?  Will they end up like my dad, taking their clothes and bedding to a drop-off laundry for the rest of their lives?

Current plan is to do what I did with my oldest - 5 minutes of instruction before he heads out the door to college.  As far as I know that's working out okay.  I'll have to ask him.  

• Like 5

Don’t even get me started on Tauriel and Kili. 🤢

I had to google to find out who Tauriel was.  No wonder I didn't remember any such character.  I haven't seen much of the 3 Hobbit movies.

• Like 2

Current plan is to do what I did with my oldest - 5 minutes of instruction before he heads out the door to college.  As far as I know that's working out okay.  I'll have to ask him.  

In college I had a job in a nice laundromat.  I used to give college guys laundry lessons, if they wanted, when they would come to drop off their laundry for washing.  I think some of the gals also didn't know how to do their laundry, but for some reason they felt they couldn't admit it, and using drop-off would be admitting it.  I wish they would have let me teach them; they would do things to cause their clothes to come out bad, then try to claim our machines damaged their clothing.

• Like 1

My new washing machine comes today!  :hurray:  I got a top loader instead of a front loader (disillusioned with those) and now I think DD(10) may not be able to do her own laundry anymore. I will need a stool to reach the bottom.

I could be mean and send her and her laundry downstairs to use the spare washer...yes, I know I'm spoiled.

I can't coffee today. That makes me sad. 

• Like 7

Good morning!

Shar music is offering free in-home bow trials, so I am going to see if they can ship a couple bows for me to try out in time for the concert next week.

I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies.

Busy day today - lesson, Old Lady Party, get-together for dd14, tutorial party for dd14, and possible sleep-over for the 3 youngest.

Coffee!

• Like 5

:thumbup1:

DD got a quick lesson before 5 weeks of math camp.

My understanding is that she managed to be clothed in public.  Her clothes were not growing plants when she returned.

I count this as a success.  Go me.

• Like 5

I'm up. Caffeine. I woke up this morning to escape a huge mastiff attacking me while I tried to get dressed. It had me by the ear and the left side of the face. I was not amused.

Periodically I have big dogs in my dreams that come to me injured and I treat their wounds. Most of the time, they go on their way. This one was not a nice dog! :glare: Kind of like this cough which has me needing a massage for a sore neck, sore back and sore ribs.

Got my manuscript down to 128K. Go me! :hurray:

• Like 4

I have seen LOTR more times than is good for me, and all three Hobbit movies multiple times. I do believe that if agents ask writers to remove almost half of their books before they consider them fit to publish, that somebody tell the movie makers that if they'd back off on all the special effects "darlings" and actually focus on their characters and plot a little bit, they could get away with more of the stuff they want to make up.

LOTR did try to stay with the overall plot. The Hobbit evolved into fan fiction. It's mostly okay if you can think of it as fan fiction. 

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Friday!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Today is my baby's birthday. She's 7. I have so much to do. Bake the cake 🎂🎂, wrap the presents. Grandparents are coming over tomorrow, though.

I slept in this morning. It's been a rough week.

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!

Friday!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Today is my baby's birthday. She's 7. I have so much to do. Bake the cake 🎂🎂, wrap the presents. Grandparents are coming over tomorrow, though.

:party: :party: Happy Birthday, Krissi's dd7! :party: :party:

• Like 1

My new washing machine comes today!  :hurray:  I got a top loader instead of a front loader (disillusioned with those) and now I think DD(10) may not be able to do her own laundry anymore. I will need a stool to reach the bottom.

I could be mean and send her and her laundry downstairs to use the spare washer...yes, I know I'm spoiled.

I can't coffee today. That makes me sad. 

If I could I would also have a laundry room on each floor of the house.  It's so much safer than carrying large baskets or wads of loose items on the stairs.  

As it is, having your DD do her laundry in a machine she can reach into can be helpful for both of you.  If she folds her clothes before carrying them up it's easy to keep how much she carries to a reasonable amount for stair safety.  It also encourages not letting it all pile up at one end.

I'm up. Caffeine. I woke up this morning to escape a huge mastiff attacking me while I tried to get dressed. It had me by the ear and the left side of the face. I was not amused.

Periodically I have big dogs in my dreams that come to me injured and I treat their wounds. Most of the time, they go on their way. This one was not a nice dog! :glare: Kind of like this cough which has me needing a massage for a sore neck, sore back and sore ribs.

Got my manuscript down to 128K. Go me! :hurray:

The like and  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  are for the accomplishment.   :grouphug:  for the bad dog dream.

• Like 2

Sigh. It is 28 degrees and I did not blanket the ponies.  The low was supposed to be near 40 degrees.

I count this as a failure.  Must go give them hot cereal now.

:seeya:

:grouphug:   Warming hugs for the ponies and you.

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!

Friday!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Happy birthday, Krissi's youngest!!!!   :party:  :party:

:grouphug:  to Krissi for the rough week.  

• Like 1

The Sugar Plum Fairies are stepping very cautiously and a little slowly, but they are starting to figure out where to put their feet.  They aren't tripping and stumbling near as much.  Good job, Sugar Plum Fairies!  Keep it up!   :hurray:

• Like 4

If I could I would also have a laundry room on each floor of the house. It's so much safer than carrying large baskets or wads of loose items on the stairs.

As it is, having your DD do her laundry in a machine she can reach into can be helpful for both of you. If she folds her clothes before carrying them up it's easy to keep how much she carries to a reasonable amount for stair safety. It also encourages not letting it all pile up at one end.

The house that I loved, before all my dreams came crashing down around me, had a laundry shoot. I just loved that. It was from the upstairs bathroom right down into the laundry room.

Ooohya/h!!! This is a Laundry Shoot Booya/h!! With a side of Older Home Charm!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

:glare: Though it did not specify in the email advertisement or on their website, the free bow trial is only for more expensive bows than the ones I want to try. The guy did give me a whopping $5 off the fee. I think I will call back and complain out of principle. :glare:

I'm sorry, but your advertisement stated "free bow trials" with NO limitation as to which bows.  Limiting it when customers call to accept the offer is bait and switch, a bad business practice.  If you wish to attract customers instead of driving them away I suggest you honor the free bow trial offer on all bows.

I do understand the need for businesses, especially small ones, to attract business.  But they also need to see when how they are handling things will actually backfire and drive away the customers they were seeking to attract.  For a short time there was a Mexican restaurant here that had some really yummy food.  We only got food from them once, however, to try them out.  I had seen an ad in a local advertisement magazine for a special price on their Family Special, and ordered some for take-out.  I mentioned the ad when I called to order, and they seemed fine with that.  When DH arrived to pick up the food the manager refused to honor the ad's price, claiming the ad wasn't supposed to have run until the next issue, so the ad's price (no time limitations stated) wasn't valid.  DH picked up our food because he knew we were waiting and hungry, but he refused to do business with them ever again.

On Nextdoor down here there's a new restaurant that open a few miles away less than a month ago.  They are promoting their tamales by the dozen, for picking up and taking home.  Unfortunately they are asking $26/dozen for their tamales, a good $10 or more over anyone else's prices.  Nearly all of the responses are people complaining about the price, or stating nicely that such a high price will serve to discourage new customers.  I replied to the original post asking how big the tamales are, thinking that perhaps they were monster-sized (and a dozen, therefore, would feed more people).  They have not answered my question, and it has been about a week.  Someone else asked if they have free tasting samples so people can try before they spend so much to buy.  They responded to that gal stating that if she calls before she comes and lets them know she is coming to taste they will set it up.  

In the meantime another new restaurant opened up about a month ago.  They cleverly ran their first day's lunch buffet as a free meal, drawing in customers.  Even though supper wasn't free it generated enough interest the restaurant was packed for at least a week while everyone came to try out the food.  We didn't go in there until earlier this week because we were waiting for the crowds to subside.  The food is quite tasty and the staff attentive, though the prices are just a tad high for lunch.  They are still getting their take-home menus printed and their website up and running, but once that happens I can see them getting quite busy most weekdays.  That buffet lunch is just too handy.  The business workers are going to love it.

• Like 2

The house that I loved, before all my dreams came crashing down around me, had a laundry shoot. I just loved that. It was from the upstairs bathroom right down into the laundry room.

Ooohya/h!!! This is a Laundry Shoot Booya/h!! With a side of Older Home Charm!!

My aunt's house also had a laundry chute, in the upstairs hallway.  It dropped the clothes into bins right next to the washer in the sub-basement.

Personally I'd like a dumb waiter alongside the chute.  Drop the clothes down, and then use the dumb waiter to raise the full baskets of folded laundry back up again.  This would be especially handy in houses that have basement laundries with 2 or more floors above the basement.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 3

To me, a laundry shoot just seems like a good place for black widows to come into my home. We have a million of them outside because we have such great habitat, what with all the loose rocks, the deck, and plenty of bugs. So far, they mostly stay outside. I kill any I find in the house. But I fear a laundry shoot would just be a huge temptation for them.

• Like 1

Early this morning, dd7 came in and told me that she had had a bad dream.  She didn't want to talk about it, so I don't know if it was a mastiff.  I told her that I had been dreaming.  I was at the grocery store buying popcorn.   :lurk5:   She giggled and went back to her room.

• Like 5

To me, a laundry shoot just seems like a good place for black widows to come into my home. We have a million of them outside because we have such great habitat, what with all the loose rocks, the deck, and plenty of bugs. So far, they mostly stay outside. I kill any I find in the house. But I fear a laundry shoot would just be a huge temptation for them.

Yeah, in that kind of an environment I'd decline the chute, too.  Much better to have the laundry on the floor(s) where the bulk of the laundry is generated.

• Like 1

Because it is breakfast time!  (Second breakfast for all hobbits.)

I was good and ran two errands quickly before Refit class (like Zumba, but not Latin beats).  I delivered some donation items for a charitable garage sale that will take place tomorrow.  Now I'm wondering if I will be posted on Nextdoor as some suspicious person taking pictures of houses.  There was no way for me to get a receipt for the donation, so I took a couple of pictures to show the items delivered on the doorstep.

I can has (and cook) bacon after we get home from Refit.

• Like 2

Laundry shoots are also a temptation for children when the cousins come over and play cops and robbers.  *I* never went down the laundry shoot.

It's also a good way for siblings to hide each others' stuff, or for ditching the contraband just before you are going to be caught with it.  Never mind that the kid doing said ditching doesn't usually think to get it out of the laundry pile before someone goes to do laundry.

• Like 2

It would be really nice if everyone went away and left me alone in the house.  I'm not antisocial.  I just can't really focus on the things I need to get done when there are other people who are (or might be) vying for my attention every moment. 

Boy, do I understand this!

• Like 3

So I come home from running my errands and head upstairs to put something away, and I stop at DD16's door to check on her.  She quickly and intended-to-be-furtively lowered her phone in that you-did-not-just-catch-me-playing-on-my-phone way and looked at me expectantly.  I took her to task for just goofing off when she was supposed to be working on her school work.  She responded she was looking for a Christmas song to sing for the recital, something that is part of her home work.  Nice try.  I quizzed her on what she found and the answers were less than satisfactory.  She claimed to have found 3 possibilities, but couldn't bring them up for me or remember any details.

I have now threatened to take her along with me for every. little. errand.  Oh, the horror!   :svengo:

• Like 2

So I come home from running my errands and head upstairs to put something away, and I stop at DD16's door to check on her.  She quickly and intended-to-be-furtively lowered her phone in that you-did-not-just-catch-me-playing-on-my-phone way and looked at me expectantly.  I took her to task for just goofing off when she was supposed to be working on her school work.  She responded she was looking for a Christmas song to sing for the recital, something that is part of her home work.  Nice try.  I quizzed her on what she found and the answers were less than satisfactory.  She claimed to have found 3 possibilities, but couldn't bring them up for me or remember any details.

I have now threatened to take her along with me for every. little. errand.  Oh, the horror!   :svengo:

Tell her she'll have to go with Oh, Holy Night. 

Now that's horror. Beautiful song, but the ranges kill me.

• Like 2

Tell her she'll have to go with Oh, Holy Night.

Now that's horror. Beautiful song, but the ranges kill me.

:D

We were at BIL's church a couple years ago for Christmas and for some amazingly shortsighted reason, they thought it would be a great idea to sing O Holy Night as a congregational hymn. In the morning, in a very small congregation, half of whom did not have English as their native language and were not terribly familiar with the song. Yep. They went for it. :D

• Like 3

It would be really nice if everyone went away and left me alone in the house. I'm not antisocial. I just can't really focus on the things I need to get done when there are other people who are (or might be) vying for my attention every moment.

I'm telling you .... next year - CLE for every subject. And a school trailer in the back yard. With a padlock. 😂😂😂

• Like 7