Menu

Ignore this thread!

I didn't think about Galloping The Globe. I think I need a bullet journal page for this.

The only thing I like about GtG are the book lists. It seems to me like things have been cut or something. I do know there was this Brazilian recipe that's not there anymore, although the chocolate one is there. There is a bunch of word searches and crossword puzzles, besides map and flag reproducibles, and suggested activities. I don't know how much I'll use, but I'm definitely going to keep it to see if I can pull something out of it. Hmmm, I forgot about the language arts and science, and Bible suggestions. Language arts suggestions comprise of one page from which you can choose what you can do, and other suggestions from the core book list. Science is a book from the core book list, plus other literature you can get from the library, for example for Mexico the science is about volcanoes.

A Trip Around the World has two books, I believe. I do still have both of them because I purchased Creation to the Greeks from MFW back when Dancer was in 5th. (Didn't I tell you I have a bunch of resources?!?!) I was planning on selling it a long time ago but never did. I just found it when I dug through a long-lost box. There are Fascinating Facts, language activities, classroom activities (this was written for a classroom, but is homeschool-friendly), recipes, teacher resources (books), and the obligatory maps and flags. 

I may be pulling from both of these. GtG has some spines that are used throughout the study, as well as the supplemental book lists for each subject area in each country. I like that TAW has the language activities (common words, numbers, colors, days of the week). I can see doing a geography study, mixed with an introduction to languages from around the world. She really does like learning to speak different languages. 

• Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Susan wins today!!! Seriously, I wish I could be as cool as you are.

But now I need your cheese sauce recipe.

It's nothing fancy, just make a white sauce and throw in whatever cheese you have on hand. Sometimes I'll add a dash of nutmeg. Cheese sauce was a big deal when I spoke about computer viruses with Kevin Smith from Salt Lake City.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   We love you, too!  But not carnage.  We won't eat you or love you to death.

Right. Good thing you reminded us! :D

Susan, do you work off of a script?  Or do you just make it up on the fly?

I make it up as I go. I probably was thinking about The Office when I came up with the nano robot infection.

ANNOUNCEMENT:  I have a girl crush on Susan.  :001_wub:

I 💗 you all, too. 'Cause all y'all are awesome!

• Like 5

The only thing I like about GtG are the book lists. It seems to me like things have been cut or something. I do know there was this Brazilian recipe that's not there anymore, although the chocolate one is there. There is a bunch of word searches and crossword puzzles, besides map and flag reproducibles, and suggested activities. I don't know how much I'll use, but I'm definitely going to keep it to see if I can pull something out of it. Hmmm, I forgot about the language arts and science, and Bible suggestions. Language arts suggestions comprise of one page from which you can choose what you can do, and other suggestions from the core book list. Science is a book from the core book list, plus other literature you can get from the library, for example for Mexico the science is about volcanoes.

A Trip Around the World has two books, I believe. I do still have both of them because I purchased Creation to the Greeks from MFW back when Dancer was in 5th. (Didn't I tell you I have a bunch of resources?!?!) I was planning on selling it a long time ago but never did. I just found it when I dug through a long-lost box. There are Fascinating Facts, language activities, classroom activities (this was written for a classroom, but is homeschool-friendly), recipes, teacher resources (books), and the obligatory maps and flags.

I may be pulling from both of these. GtG has some spines that are used throughout the study, as well as the supplemental book lists for each subject area in each country. I like that TAW has the language activities (common words, numbers, colors, days of the week). I can see doing a geography study, mixed with an introduction to languages from around the world. She really does like learning to speak different languages.

Spanks, honey.

I'm not worried about Galloping The Globe. I have plenty of resources picked out. I'm thinking I'll just shift our focus now, since he wants it now. I might still get to use the Tapestry of Grace Primer if I hang in there long enough.

• Like 2

Spanks, honey.

I'm not worried about Galloping The Globe. I have plenty of resources picked out. I'm thinking I'll just shift our focus now, since he wants it now. I might still get to use the Tapestry of Grace Primer if I hang in there long enough.

Our kids are really on the same wavelength. I've been thinking the same thing. It's just hard to work, plan Spanish I, plan a self-designed literature unit that DAncer has not completed self-designing, and try to make a half squillion on other self-designed stuff so I can stay home. While studying how to do so. The youngest gets the short end of the stick, sometimes. I think I'm taking too much on again.

Our kids are really on the same wavelength. I've been thinking the same thing. It's just hard to work, plan Spanish I, plan a self-designed literature unit that DAncer has not completed self-designing, and try to make a half squillion on other self-designed stuff so I can stay home. While studying how to do so. The youngest gets the short end of the stick, sometimes. I think I'm taking too much on again.

I'm not really planning anything for John, if that helps. I'm just going to throw everything I can think of at him and see what sticks.

Dd12 has the flu.  :(  Symptoms: coughing, mild difficulty breathing, low-grade fever, frantic mama.

The house smells vaguely of Lysol.

I'm sorry.
  • Like 1

And, on that note, I told Gymnast to bring me a book to read before bed, and she brought me Usborn Lift-the-flap Picture Atlas.

THAT'S ON MY LIST!

But, I like to plan. It's fun, enjoyable, relaxing.  :crying:

I love to plan, but he keeps poopooing my plans. :glare:
  • Like 3

I Awana-ed. The kids have snacked. I got a report from DS2 that DS1's friend who was here for the afternoon and dinner liked my cooking so much he took some to-go. Lol. German Sausage sandwiches and oven fries. It was good. First bite he took he said, "this is delicious!" 😊

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

I saw this really neat quilting pattern demo on PBS this past Saturday that I really want to try. Thus, I just requested someone's trash bag full of random fabric off of Freecycle.  :leaving:  I have quilted exactly one thing in my life. Many years ago.

• Like 7

Dd12 has the flu.   :(  Symptoms: coughing, mild difficulty breathing, low-grade fever, frantic mama.

The house smells vaguely of Lysol.

Oh no!!!   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I saw this really neat quilting pattern demo on PBS this past Saturday that I really want to try. Thus, I just requested someone's trash bag full of random fabric off of Freecycle.  :leaving:  I have quilted exactly one thing in my life. Many years ago.

I did not think you had taken on too much until I read this post.   :svengo:    :laugh:

• Like 2

Good Thursday Morning!

Sometimes I'm just amazed that we're making it through another week.  

Junie, hope you keep the flu contained and that dd feels better quickly!

We have gone from 50 degrees yesterday afternoon back down to the 20s.  I'm not walking.  Sorry.  Well, I might walk into the kitchen to do the dishes.  Later.  

COFFEE!!!!

• Like 6

ACK!  I forgot you, too!

Here's a link to the page about online classes.  Basically, he'll take homework however you can deliver it.  We scan it and attach it to an email.  I think photos would be fine so long as the photos were detailed enough for him to see all of the student's work (he does give partial credit, like for when, say, a math genius forgets to deal with a little "2" up at the right corner of a term.)

We love the class so far, but it is going veeeeerrrrryyyyyy sloooooooooowly.  Our fault, not his.  We are just math crushed.  I would not advise you to do this, because you pay monthly and it could get very expensive.  :glare:

Thanks, JJM, for getting her more info on DO.  I got into a time crunch, and had some computer issues, too.

We, also, are going slower than expected on the math.  This is partly due to one DD's difficulties, partly due to technical issues, and partly due to Mom's distraction and derailment by other concerns.  I just keep paying them and we keep going as we can.

I'm not really planning anything for John, if that helps. I'm just going to throw everything I can think of at him and see what sticks.

I'm sorry.

Just not the spaghetti, okay?  Don't use your kids to test the pasta for doneness.

• Like 1

Yesterday evening, as I was getting home with DD12 after dance class, DH was preparing to cut down trees.  I had declared supper to be get-it-yourself leftovers, so I stayed outside to help him.  He cut down both corkscrew willows and I helped stack up the dismembered parts on the side of the driveway.  We will take the wood and branches (very dry -- both trees were mostly dead) to ILs' burn pile this weekend (FIL can keep any logs he thinks he might want to use, though they aren't very big).  Several stars were out by the time we finished, which made a pleasant end to the activity.  Before cutting down the front tree DH climbed up in a ladder to verify that the nest was old and unoccupied.  Success -- the trees are down before birds set up housekeeping this spring.

This morning I walked my 1.5 miles and have done my upper body strength exercises.  We are doing laundry as best we can -- the dryer is still getting warm only sometimes.  This weekend I might have to visit a laundromat (for large machines and the ability to run several loads at the same time) to get all of our bedding washed and dried.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

There was a news story this morning about some place in NYC selling $18 CUPS of coffee.  Why on earth would anyone pay $18 for a CUP of coffee?!?  And they were sold out!

I'm getting hooked on another crafty thing.  We got our ceramic pieces back yesterday (the ones we made in January's clay classes).  I'm quite pleased with how things turned out, though I also see certain things to try differently.  My turtle plate worked rather well (other than the rough surface of my "water" glaze), so I'm now thinking of alterations to try on that theme.

• Like 1

Good morning. My stomach isn't happy this morning--I don't know why. It will probably straighten itself out after a while. But I decided to stay home from Art this morning just in case it doesn't.

Housekeeping is done for the day, but I still have cooking this afternoon. Light day of school ahead. We are doing mop-up before our February break.

• Like 3

Oy vey.

It's 22 degrees but my north-facing windows already have a layer of ice.  We got a bunch more snow overnight, but the NWS says expect warming and a transition to rain.  Which means ice.  Lots and lots of ice.  Ice everywhere.  I hate ice.

JEAN!!! Would you please climb up on your roof and blow really hard toward the west?  TIA

• Like 5

Good morning, all!

My printer displayed the "replace drum" light today.  I guess somehow I've made 6000 prints on it in the last few years. I've ordered a $25 replacement drum (generic), but if this doesn't work, I guess I am in the market for a new printer.

Any recommendations?

Stay away from snare drums.  They get quite annoying.

#justnothelpfultodaysorry

• Like 1

DD15 is maintaining 15 mph on the stationary bike.  "I've been doing this for 20 minutes now."  "Great!  Keep at it!"  "10 more minutes to go.  Ooo, make that 9 and a half."  (getting winded)  Go, DD15, go!

And now she's singing while pedalling.  

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

I'm so annoyed with Ds. We get to the college and he tells me "oh. I think that the college is closed today. ". I'm waiting while he checks to see if the library is open and if he's going to meet with his math tutor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:cursing:

• Like 2

I'm so annoyed with Ds. We get to the college and he tells me "oh. I think that the college is closed today. ". I'm waiting while he checks to see if the library is open and if he's going to meet with his math tutor.

:grouphug:   I would be super annoyed too.  

Ok, I am back. We're just doing Bible and Science today. I have two high school visitations to go to today with oldest DS. The first one starts at 11:00am. This is the Christian high school. My family has deep ties to this school. Both my parents and all my aunts and uncles and a lot of my cousins graduated from there. I graduated from there and I taught there several years. I'm really leaning toward having DS go there, but the $$ is the issue. We have 5 kids and 1 income, and I can't go back to work because homeschooling. The other visitation is the Charter co-operative between the local community college and school district. It is a great program, has won awards. The kids graduate with both an AA and a high school diploma. The problem?? DS can barely pass his 8th grade classes. And that's with us hounding him. So, if he does get in, I can't see how he'd be able to do college classes, too. And the local public high school..... no. He'd just drown. So, I've been spending a lot of time in prayer lately.

• Like 1

I'd be annoyed, too. In fact, I am annoyed.
  • Like 1