• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

It's a conspiracy. $150 is the real price. The extra $550 is the amount they jack up the cost so they can bill your insurance and pay their over-paid CEO. And then your insurance jacks up your premiums. And then they sell it to you like it's an awesome deal, this insurance thing. You're welcome.

The actual price of the frames is probably around $20. Since we now have several in our family who need glasses, we use Zenni - with insurance reimbursement our cost is generally $0, though without, even my severe prescription with bifocals costs less than $70.

My only regret is that it is too expensive to simply replace the lenses in my old frames which I loved.

• Like 2

It's a conspiracy.  $150 is the real price.  The extra $550 is the amount they jack up the cost so they can bill your insurance and pay their over-paid CEO.  And then your insurance jacks up your premiums.  And then they sell it to you like it's an awesome deal, this insurance thing.  You're welcome.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

This is a truth that should NEVER be shared in this happy place.  I think my head shall explode. 

(BTW, newb, I believe this issue was discussed, like 97 pages ago. You're welcome.)

• Like 1

For some reason people here like to be brutally judgemental. I imagine it's because we can't talk to people like that in real life.

I am brutally judgemental on some things but I try hard when I post to run it through my brain & imagine saying it to the person next to me.

There's a reason the backspace button on my keyboard is VERY shiny :)  I've deleted & rephrased many times.

But generally anything I've said on the boards, I'd say right to the person's face.

• Like 6

I am brutally judgemental on some things but I try hard when I post to run it through my brain & imagine saying it to the person next to me.

There's a reason the backspace button on my keyboard is VERY shiny :) I've deleted & rephrased many times.

But generally anything I've said on the boards, I'd say right to the person's face.

Yes, but you're not one of the people I was referring to. I know you and I disagree on some things, dog training being a more recent example. I have very strong opinions about it as do you, but we didn't have a problem because we chose to respect each other. Many here do not, and will not leave room for the possibility that they are incorrect.

Nope.  You rock.  Wish I could be you.

Instead...

I plan.  Then re-plan.  Then switch things up so I can plan again.  Then I do it all again mid-year.  And I document what we do ad nauseam.

I have a booklist of everything I have either read to my DS or he has read (much smaller list) since we started homeschooling K.  And I have dates.  and hyperlinks.  And their isbn and the library call.  Color-coded.

Want to know what date my DS watched Liberty's Kids episode #10?  I can tell you.  I can also tell you what else we studied that day and whether we went to the library.  And what park he played at.

It's a sickness.

Well I did do that during elementary.  And a little bit during ds's middle school years.  But I mostly don't plan now because we're at a boring "do the next thing in the book phase" so once I've panicked late August and chosen our books then there really isn't so much more to do.  My teens are capable of looking to see what pages lesson X are on and doing them.  

• Like 2

There's a reason the backspace button on my keyboard is VERY shiny :)  I've deleted & rephrased many times.

I wish I had a backspace bar in real life. I've said some stupid things to peoples' faces I should have edited better.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 4

I try to be kind both on the boards and in real life.  But I'm also direct in both.  I've found that beating around the bush leads to miscommunication more often than not.  And I'm tired of that.  So I go for direct but kind with a touch of humor.  I also try to understand where the other person is coming from because I can do a very good imitation of a bulldozer if I'm not careful.  

• Like 2

I wish I had a backspace bar in real life. I've said some stupid things to peoples' faces I should have edited better.  :coolgleamA:

yeah, real life totally needs a rewind & re-do option.

I'd also like a wipe chunks of memory option so you can really, really delete some files.

• Like 2

It's a conspiracy.  $150 is the real price.  The extra $550 is the amount they jack up the cost so they can bill your insurance and pay their over-paid CEO.  And then your insurance jacks up your premiums.  And then they sell it to you like it's an awesome deal, this insurance thing.  You're welcome.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

Amen! 

Nope. You rock. Wish I could be you.

Instead...

I plan. Then re-plan. Then switch things up so I can plan again. Then I do it all again mid-year. And I document what we do ad nauseam.

I have a booklist of everything I have either read to my DS or he has read (much smaller list) since we started homeschooling K. And I have dates. and hyperlinks. And their isbn and the library call. Color-coded.

Want to know what date my DS watched Liberty's Kids episode #10? I can tell you. I can also tell you what else we studied that day and whether we went to the library. And what park he played at.

It's a sickness.

Wow. Wanna come plan for me???

I can do the sit-down-stand-up-without-falling-over thingy!!!!   :hurray:  Am I a 10?  Do I have to do it 10 times? 

being able to do it just once makes you a 10; the points deductions are for using a hand, side of leg or a knee on way down or up...

"The two basic movements in the sitting-rising test — lowering to the floor and standing back up — are each scored on a 1-to-5 scale, with one point subtracted each time a hand or knee is used for support and 0.5 points subtracted for loss of balance; this yields a single 10-point scale."

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/05-sit-down

The thing about this test was that in people 51-80, the score was correlated with risk of dying in the next 6 yrs.

The guilt trips get to me.

#whatsacommasplice

People who try to pressure you are not nice and do not deserve to have people attend their events.  

Look up comma splice.  You're welcome.

Will I be kicked off the ITT thread if I admit that I no longer plan?  I just go by the seat of my pants and my kids are in high school and middle school  Gasp!  

:huh:  (I do not understand what you said.  It does not compute.)

Nope.  You rock.  Wish I could be you.

Instead...

I plan.  Then re-plan.  Then switch things up so I can plan again.  Then I do it all again mid-year.  And I document what we do ad nauseam.

I have a booklist of everything I have either read to my DS or he has read (much smaller list) since we started homeschooling K.  And I have dates.  and hyperlinks.  And their isbn and the library call.  Color-coded.

Want to know what date my DS watched Liberty's Kids episode #10?  I can tell you.  I can also tell you what else we studied that day and whether we went to the library.  And what park he played at.

It's a sickness.

#notanywhereclosetothishere

zenni.com

Yes, but you're not one of the people I was referring to. I know you and I disagree on some things, dog training being a more recent example. I have very strong opinions about it as do you, but we didn't have a problem because we chose to respect each other. Many here do not, and will not leave room for the possibility that they are incorrect.

I only know that I NEED someone to come down here and train my dog.  She humped me this morning, and I'm just not into her that way.  She also needs a good stout grooming and a nail trim.

#neglectedthedogtotakecareofNan

I try to be kind both on the boards and in real life.  But I'm also direct in both.  I've found that beating around the bush leads to miscommunication more often than not.  And I'm tired of that.  So I go for direct but kind with a touch of humor.  I also try to understand where the other person is coming from because I can do a very good imitation of a bulldozer if I'm not careful.  

I'm the best at this.  I will kick your a$$, and you will be laughing for an hour before you even realize it.  :D  (You meaning the general you, not you, Jean.)

• Like 1

being able to do it just once makes you a 10; the points deductions are for using a hand, side of leg or a knee on way down or up...

"The two basic movements in the sitting-rising test — lowering to the floor and standing back up — are each scored on a 1-to-5 scale, with one point subtracted each time a hand or knee is used for support and 0.5 points subtracted for loss of balance; this yields a single 10-point scale."

The thing about this test was that in people 51-80, the score was correlated with risk of dying in the next 6 yrs.

:hurray:   I got a 9.5, a 10, a 10, and a 10.

eta:  do you get 6 years of life for each 10?  I'll do a few more...

• Like 4

Just bought learning resources c-rods on amazon.  Wooden ones. 

Please tell me this was the best choice.  I came to WTM to check it out, but it was broken, so I had to go by Amazon reviews instead.

Actually, the plastic are preferred, but they are very close in the running so no worries.

#homeschoolmomproblems

• Like 1

Actually, the plastic are preferred, but they are very close in the running so no worries.

#homeschoolmomproblems

:scared:   Oh no! Why?  The wooden set is out of stock for two more days,  so I may still be able to cancel and change. 

I'd read that plastic ones were sometimes prone to warping.  And wasn't sure if there was a great reason to go with connectable ones.  

I'm seriously not toooooo worried about this either way.  But it's nice to get the right thing the first time.   :)

• Like 1

:scared:   Oh no! Why?  The wooden set is out of stock for two more days,  so I may still be able to cancel and change. 

I'd read that plastic ones were sometimes prone to warping.  And wasn't sure if there was a great reason to go with connectable ones.  

I'm seriously not toooooo worried about this either way.  But it's nice to get the right thing the first time.   :)

There was a long thread on the difference some years back so I am vague on the details.  I had plastic, and they feel and sound wooden.  Plus, I think they are sturdier. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  I wish I still had mine (sold on ebay).  I would send them to you.  But worry not, young lad!  We shall overcome!

People who try to pressure you are not nice and do not deserve to have people attend their events.  Very true.

Look up comma splice.  You're welcome. Butthead.

Just bought learning resources c-rods on amazon.  Wooden ones. 

Please tell me this was the best choice.  I came to WTM to check it out, but it was broken, so I had to go by Amazon reviews instead.

Get these. If you *know* you'll love them get two. I regret not just getting this.

There was a long thread on the difference some years back so I am vague on the details.  I had plastic, and they feel and sound wooden.  Plus, I think they are sturdier. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  I wish I still had mine (sold on ebay).  I would send them to you.  But worry not, young lad!  We shall overcome!

:iagree:

• Like 1

Nan is having more periods of apnea.  She has slept all day except when the aide came to give her bath and we helped change the sheets and her clothes.  I don't know that I am prescient here, but today seems different.  MIL came to see her this past Saturday.  Nan was up all day yesterday talking non stop.  I think she might be letting go.  I told dh.

His brother and sister are being the biggest jackwagons ever so that makes it all 100 times harder.   

• Like 2

Nan is having more periods of apnea. She has slept all day except when the aide came to give her bath and we helped change the sheets and her clothes. I don't know that I am prescient here, but today seems different. MIL came to see her this past Saturday. Nan was up all day yesterday talking non stop. I think she might be letting go. I told dh.

His brother and sister are being the biggest jackwagons ever so that makes it all 100 times harder.

(((Tex)))

Well, I'm toast.  TM can write the hashtag for my tombstone.  (I have worked with PT, personal trainers etc. and I'm still toast.  And I Zumba!)

• Like 2

Well, I'm toast.  TM can write the hashtag for my tombstone.  (I have worked with PT, personal trainers etc. and I'm still toast.  And I Zumba!)

nah, it's just correlation, not causation. You'll be statistical outlier. There always are a bunch of those. :D

eta: OH FINALLY IT'S MY TURN TO  BOOOYAH   

:hurray:

• Like 6

nah, it's just correlation, not causation. You'll be statistical outlier. There always are a bunch of those. :D

eta: OH FINALLY IT'S MY TURN TO BOOOYAH

:hurray:

I agree. Jean's problems are quality of life, not length. Plus, what the quizzes don't tell you is that having a friend who makes you laugh every day adds 24.8 years to your life. ;)
  • Like 10

I agree. Jean's problems are quality of life, not length. Plus, what the quizzes don't tell you is that having a friend who makes you laugh every day adds 24.8 years to your life. ;)

Oooo.  Let's see.  I'm 51 now plus an estimated 6 years before I croak makes me 57 plus 24.8 years from laughing at Tex daily would make me 81.8 years old.  Still younger than my dad who died at 92 and my mom who is 90 and still going strong but not bad. . . .

#youmademedomathandahashtag 

• Like 7