Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ok, grammatical pet peeve... On FB I saw a post from singer Amy Grant saying, "win a trip to see myself and Vince Gill..." and I almost spit out my coffee. The incorrect usage of "myself" runs rampant and it drives me insane. And this woman should know better. And she has people who shouod be checking these things. Grrrr!

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled ITTing.

And this is a grammatically correct (according to some, but not Slashie) Booya/h!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

My old cat drinks out of her water bowl by dipping her paw in it and then cupping the water to her mouth to lap it. She has taught the young cat to do the same. Wet footie-prints all over my floor.

One of ours does that

That's because cats are smart.  Cats rule!

• Like 1

Ok, grammatical pet peeve... On FB I saw a post from singer Amy Grant saying, "win a trip to see myself and Vince Gill..." and I almost spit out my coffee. The incorrect usage of "myself" runs rampant and it drives me insane. And this woman should know better. And she has people who shouod be checking these things. Grrrr!

h!

My orchestra friend once went on a "private film showing" date with Vince Gill.

And here's the real story. She went by herself to see some artsy film at a small independent theater and was the only person in there. And then she heard the swish swish sound of someone walking in wearing a warm-up suit and they sat down right next to her. It was Vince Gill. And they watched the whole film just the two of them and then left.

• Like 7

The thing about having a cell phone is that it is mostly useful as a phone if you have the ringer on and you keep it with you. And if not, you should have it set up so you can retrieve voicemail messages. I need way more coffee before I can deal with voicemail set-up. :D

None of us know how to retrieve our voice mail at our house.  We've had our phone for a couple of years.  In our defense, things only bypass the actual answering machine and go to voice mail if someone is already using the phone.  Getting this figured out has been on my tackle list for two  years. 

• Like 4

Apparently, I am the world's worst mother this afternoon. I'm going to see if my status changes after some food and reflection.

And there I was thinking that I was the worst mother in the world. My many heinous crimes include such shocking things as:

• Not letting the kids eat ice cream for morning tea, when they had ice cream for breakfast 2 hours previously
  • Not agreeing to purchase a house and land that my daughter likes the look of 
  • Asking the kids to write anything, ever

What sin did you commit to earn the title?

Today we haz a Playdate!  A week or two ago I met a woman with a 6yo daughter, and my Ms. 8 got on really well with the little girl, so today we are getting together at an indoor play center.  I'm excited because this would be about the third time in my daughter's life that she has actually requested to see another child again (normally staying home and reading a book would win hands down), so I have high hopes of Social Stuff happening.

Also, new (old) violin will be arriving this week. So an exciting week for us. 

Funny (ish)  conversation of the last week:

Dd - "I made a ... um ... something like a scab ... or a wart ... with balls ...?"

Me - "It was a ballista." (There was a contest to throw tennis balls with a siege machine made from dowling and elastic bands)

Dd - "Yeah that's right, a blister!"

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 7

I planned that months ago. I have a rough draft through high school. Because I'm crazy.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

I have a big picture with goals and stuff through 12th, but it's not very detailed. I've been super exited (deal with it) about My Father's World, but I'm really starting to question weather it's a good fit for him. :(

Here's my rough little outline, and while the goals are the same, I think I need to scrap the curricula. I knew I would way back when, but's just so pretty!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

My old cat drinks out of her water bowl by dipping her paw in it and then cupping the water to her mouth to lap it. She has taught the young cat to do the same. Wet footie-prints all over my floor.

Snowflake kitty does not like to stick her head in the food bowl, so she uses her paw to tip the bowl over so the food spills out. Easy access kitty!
  • Like 7

I have a big picture with goals and stuff through 12th, but it's not very detailed. I've been super exited (deal with it) about My Father's World, but I'm really starting to question weather it's a good fit for him. :(

Here's my rough little outline, and while the goals are the same, I think I need to scrap the curricula. I knew I would way back when, but's just so pretty!

That is pretty. Mine is nowhere near as beautiful. Maybe I'll go reformat it during our break next week.

• Like 1

I did that planning through 12th grade thing dor both kids a long time ago. Several times. We are no longer on plan.

I never really planned on sticking to it completely. It's more of a start-with-the-end-in-mind type exercise. Rerouting and detours are expected and maybe even encouraged.

• Like 2

I'm mired in a plot hole. I will get out of it, but it's kind of muddy and very messy. The only good thing? My protagonist is flat terrified. So I know I've got him in a really bad spot. And he's very good at really dramatic solutions. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

• Like 4

I did that planning through 12th grade thing dor both kids a long time ago. Several times. We are no longer on plan.

Oooh, I do/did that too. I'm still using the same curriculum I used with Dancer (MFW), but my way, and am pretty much just flying by the seat of my pants. I've realized following either MFW or Sonlight (I have both, as they were both on the plan) is not going to work.

The only sure thing is reading and math. We do some. Where it comes from is some MEP, some Shiller, and mostly life. A lot of life. Science is whatever she wants to study (currently volcanoes). I really don't know what we're doing in life, but she's learning stuff, so I call it good. She runs around like a banshee a lot too. 

• Like 3

Suggested that the goal of taking the cat out to walk on a harness and leash was going to need to wait and that probably it would be best not to make it a goal for a number of very good reasons.

Yeah.

I used to have a kitty that was leash-trained. I was raised with dogs; I didn't know any better. I got a lot of interesting looks when I took my cat to the vet on a leash instead of in a kennel.

• Like 3

Ok, grammatical pet peeve... On FB I saw a post from singer Amy Grant saying, "win a trip to see myself and Vince Gill..." and I almost spit out my coffee. The incorrect usage of "myself" runs rampant and it drives me insane. And this woman should know better. And she has people who should be checking these things. Grrrr!

The use of pronouns in English is not that difficult to master. Sheesh.

• Like 1

Suggested that the goal of taking the cat out to walk on a harness and leash was going to need to wait and that probably it would be best not to make it a goal for a number of very good reasons.

Yeah.

Yeah, well I made my kid do some of the practice that went along with the BA lesson. The one he asked for thinking it meant he wouldn't have to do any math except for reading the lesson.

#ITTmeanmombrigade

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

I fear that I shall grow meaner and meaner by the day now that my boys will be teenagers. By the end of their childhood, I shall be the Dark Lord. Think I should just go ahead and buy myself that plot in Mordor and get my orcs working on my fortress now, or should I wait until interest rates drop?

• Like 6

I fear that I shall grow meaner and meaner by the day now that my boys will be teenagers. By the end of their childhood, I shall be the Dark Lord. Think I should just go ahead and buy myself that plot in Mordor and get my orcs working on my fortress now, or should I wait until interest rates drop?

Well, if you build from the ground up, you get to have fun designing the tortures. If you move in to a pre-built, you have more energy to actually inflict the pain. It's a toss up. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

If you are going to build either way, better to start now.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

I'm back. Went to DD's volleyball game. They did well tonight. She's on city league and some girls on her team are third graders and have never played before, so, it's a little frustrating to watch at times. But, you can see definite improvement from the beginning of the season!

• Like 7

I made a quick 1st grade sketch. What do we think?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15EDf_sCsXyVz-Q21RB57dPQF9wCz4W1X0VzrcSk2pvk/edit?usp=sharing

What would add to Kindergarten Bible and Literature, and what would you add/take away from all of first?

Why two maths and multiple (four?  five?) sciences etc.  (I haven't done most of these books so I don't really have an opinion - just this one question.)

And it's an Educational Inquisition Booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

Why two maths and multiple (four? five?) sciences etc. (I haven't done most of these books so I don't really have an opinion - just this one question.)

And it's an Educational Inquisition Booyah!

The Ray' is mental math drills for one day a week and the Science is just read alouds. I know Apologia is a full curriculum, but I plan to skip the journal and majority of the activities and just read.

• Like 4

The Ray' is mental math drills for one day a week and the Science is just read alouds. I know Apologia is a full curriculum, but I plan to skip the journal and majority of the activities and just read.

I'm afraid that I'm a "young kids should be doing hands on learning as much as possible person" so I think I'm not the person to ask.  My kids in 1st grade did some phonics, read alouds in history/literature, hands on math, hands on science and lots of exploring art and music and physical play. 

• Like 5