Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!  Friday!  Lynn is up and rarin' to go!  :biggrin:

I have read Jayber Crow and a couple other Wendell Berry novels.  :wub:

I have a bit of volunteer work to do this morning at the church, and then a couple projects to finish up and then ds13 to the Boy Scout breakfast set-up shift.  Ds13 and I need haircuts but I don't think that will happen today.  I suppose I should also teach the kids.

Coffee!

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  Friday!  Lynn is up and rarin' to go!  :biggrin:

I have read Jayber Crow and a couple other Wendell Berry novels.  :wub:

I have a bit of volunteer work to do this morning at the church, and then a couple projects to finish up and then ds13 to the Boy Scout breakfast set-up shift.  Ds13 and I need haircuts but I don't think that will happen today.  I suppose I should also teach the kids.

Coffee!

So, Jayber Crow - lots of it I like.  I few things I don't love.  Do you have recommendations from the others you've read? 

• Like 1

We are back. It was beautiful. I was sick the entire time. I felt better the day we flew out but it was downhill from there. DD got sick for a few days too which was sad for her. 

Still, a sick day in the Caribbean is better than a sick day here, but I wish I wasn't sick. I'm still sick. We got in early yesterday and I was sickest yesterday. I think flying exacerbates symptoms. The island we visited was much less developed than we had anticipated. I was concerned that it would be too much like America or Disney but that wasn't an issue at all. My kids have a new appreciation for how well off we all are here which is a good thing. 

• Like 10

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!!

I don’t really want to be up. 

School today!!!!

I am sorry you are sick, Paige. Especially on vacation.😩

Never read Jayber Crow. Never heard of it.

I’m sorry about your headache, Junie!!!

Slashie, we read aloud during lunch.

• Like 7

I’ve never been on an island vacation. But I have been to Rio de Janeiro. Several times. One time, with my parents,  we almost got mugged, but we escaped. We outsmarted the muggers.  Another time we were using the bus to get around and we got on the right bus number, but going in the wrong direction. So, we had to ride the bus the entire route to get back to where we started so we could get back to our hotel. That was interesting. Especially when the bus emptied out, went back to the bus place and the driver got off to take his break. My friend and I just sat there and waited till he got back on. We didn’t know what else to do. We had no idea where we were and spoke very little Portuguese. Eventually the driver got back on and we rode the route to where we had gotten on and got on the right bus.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I don't do read-alouds.

I tried after I found out about this message board and saw how it worked for so many families, but it was never a hit here.

We have a Bible story every evening and dh still reads bedtime stories to the littles.

The majority of our content comes from read alouds. Right now we have Eagermeier's Bible, random poetry, Apologia and biographies. I don't eat breakfast and I eat lunch 2 hours before them so the timing works out, otherwise I don't know what I'd do.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Junie said:

I don't do read-alouds.

I tried after I found out about this message board and saw how it worked for so many families, but it was never a hit here.

We have a Bible story every evening and dh still reads bedtime stories to the littles.

10 minutes ago, Junie said:

No,  it is not called Nicaragua Falls.  And it's not the Pajama Canal.

Dd10 lives in a strange world.

Looking at these two posts together is interesting.  Maybe I need to figure out a way to try again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Slache said:

Audiobooks. Eventually I'll get Playster which is like Spotify for books.

I was actually looking to get the audiobooks for the Apologia books and maybe SOTW.  We can listen to them in the van.

I didn't do it before now because I have some children who are very sensitive and it would have been too much for them until recently.

My babies are growing up!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Junie said:

I was actually looking to get the audiobooks for the Apologia books and maybe SOTW.  We can listen to them in the van.

I didn't do it before now because I have some children who are very sensitive and it would have been too much for them until recently.

SOTW on CD is really the only way we did it.  When I tried to make it "school" we didn't stick with it. 

6 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Alex can jump in the accountability thread any time he wants. The cutie-pie!

Alex probably needs some accountability.  😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Junie said:

I don't mean to be negative because I have really enjoyed the Apologia books, but I'm glad I only paid $15 each (used) and don't think I would want to listen to them.

Now I'm looking and they're $17. That's not overwhelming if you don't love them. I think they were $45 when they first came out. I stand by my original statement but I like $17 much more than $45.

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Alex probably needs some accountability.  😂

Svengo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't mean to be negative because I have really enjoyed the Apologia books, but I'm glad I only paid $15 each (used) and don't think I would want to listen to them.

Now I'm looking and they're $17. That's not overwhelming if you don't love them. I think they were $45 when they first came out. I stand by my original statement but I like $17 much more than $45.

Svengo.

Where are you seeing these prices?

18 minutes ago, Junie said:

Where are you seeing these prices?

The MP3 is $17. If your car is new enough it will play mp3s and if it's not you can burn it to a CD. I believe that when the CDs first came out they were $45 and the mp3s were not available but I really wasn't too concerned so I could be very wrong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slache said:

The MP3 is $17. If your car is new enough it will play mp3s and if it's not you can burn it to a CD. I believe that when the CDs first came out they were $45 and the mp3s were not available but I really wasn't too concerned so I could be very wrong.

Note to self: ask dh if any of these options will play on the van's cd player.  I know there are some cds that we have had trouble playing, but it was a while ago so I don't remember why they wouldn't play.

I've finished the hot cocoa gift jars.  Not quite ready for Cracker Barrel, but close enough.  They will be part of a silent auction at the Boy Scout breakfast tomorrow.  Next up is the Advent Calendar.  I think I have all the components, but have to figure out how to get it all put together.

The birds have been emptying all three birdfeeders every 3-4 days.  Hungry little buggers.

I'm ready for the rain to be done, but we have two more days of it.  At least it's warm!  

• Like 3

I'm eating lunch and then going to take a quick nap before taking all of the kids to the doctor for shots.

They didn't believe me when I told them I was dreading it more than they were.

There should be such a thing as a medical liaison to take kids to doctors appointments and such.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I'm eating lunch and then going to take a quick nap before taking all of the kids to the doctor for shots.

They didn't believe me when I told them I was dreading it more than they were.

There should be such a thing as a medical liaison to take kids to doctors appointments and such.  

Oh, I completely understand. That's why we haven't gotten our flu shots yet. Although after last week, I'm thinking it might be a moot point.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm awake.  My head feels a lot better.  I still have a headache and I'm still grumpy, but I can probably drive to town without crying.

Two kids are getting flu shots because when I took them a few months ago, the power at the doctor's office had gone out overnight and they had to throw out all of their vaccines.  Wow.

Two kids are getting the HPV vaccine.  Two of their great-grandmothers died of cervical cancer.  I don't want to take any chances.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

EdPo:

We are doing art.  We're using Artistic Pursuits. I am so glad I bought the kits. Now I don't have to collect all the supplies. Well, I didn't buy the kits, my charter did.

Yes! This was my most expensive purchase, but so worth it. I plan to buy the appropriate science kits when they're older, too.

I've heard people say that buying Sonlight, despite the ridiculous cost, was one of the best things they've ever done. Having it all on hand, ready to go, not stressing about whether or not they have the right materials at the right time. I don't want to use Sonlight, but the concept stuck with me.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Shepherd's pie is in the oven.  I had some coffee and a snack to fight off the hangry-grumpies.  It helped.  Still haven't gotten to the Advent calendar.  I think some Christmas music might help!  🎄

Oooh, shepherd’s pie sounds good. I may have to make that some time,

I’m having COFFEE!!!!~D too!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4