Menu

Ignore this thread!

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

We are awful Thanksgiving people.

Not to be pedantic on a special day, but it's spelled b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t.

We had assorted things, and in a couple of hours, I'm gonna make more things.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

O hey it's an abundance booyah!

Edited by 73349
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are brilliant Thanksgiving People in that we don't do green bean casserole (gasp!).  But in order to have an excuse for french fried onions, we make zesty baked carrots.  This year instead of Sister Schubert's frozen yeast rolls, I got a package of White House rolls which are my favorite.  (Another horrified gasp.  Don't tell anyone.  They won't notice.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with brilliant. Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday just because of needing to have so many sides and so many people. I told dh, I wish we could just do our own thing, relax and go on a hike today. I am so glad I'm not hosting this year but don't really enjoy the commotion associated with this day. I do like pie though.

I love those French fried onions in the can. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Dianthus said:

I agree with brilliant. Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday just because of needing to have so many sides and so many people. I told dh, I wish we could just do our own thing, relax and go on a hike today. I am so glad I'm not hosting this year but don't really enjoy the commotion associated with this day. I do like pie though.

I love those French fried onions in the can. 

Holidays are my favorite part about living away from family. Both sides of our family love drama and have huge expectations regarding our time and money, but we do very small holidays with limited cooking, limited gifts, a very limited itinerary and lots of down time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

We are awful Thanksgiving people. We're doing a roasted, deboned turkey with canned cranberry sauce, homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, Hawaiian rolls and a store bought pie. We spend maybe an hour in the kitchen.

We do rotisserie chickens, instant mashed potatoes, Stove Top, canned cranberry sauce (jellied and whole berry), store-bought rolls, store-bought pie.  And I might make a SteamFresh vegetable (or not).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Junie said:

We do rotisserie chickens, instant mashed potatoes, Stove Top, canned cranberry sauce (jellied and whole berry), store-bought rolls, store-bought pie.  And I might make a SteamFresh vegetable (or not).

That's worse than me! I forgot you don't like turkey. 

• Like 3

The turkey is in. I think I lied about an hour in the kitchen. I'll say two.

Has anyone read Peter Pan? I have come to the conclusion, completely through context clues from Disney and pop culture, that Hook is actually a hero. Apparently that was a big theory on TikTok last year. Is this true? Here is my reasoning. Please let me know if my points are incorrect. 

1. He was the original lost boy. He was actually lost and rescued by Peter. When he hit puberty he left which hurt Peter's feelings, so he started kidnapping children and killing them when they hit puberty. Killing is bad.

2. Hook rescued as many lost boys as he could, allowing them to stay on as crew. Rescuing is good.

3. Peter cut off his hand for fun. Cutting off hands is bad.

4. Hook is usually played by the same actor as Father in plays, because what he wants is for the children to go home and be safe. Safe children is good.

5. Hook's secondary enemy is Tick Tock, representing time, the real enemy of the lost boys. Stealing time from children is bad.

So really, everything Pan does is bad, and everything Hook does is good, his main purpose being to save children. Tell me why I'm wrong. I'm going to read the book. I have only seen the Disney version as well as Once Upon A Time. 

• Like 4

Now I think I need to make time to read Peter Pan. I've only ever read and watched the Disney version.

I remember reading Grimm's version of Cinderella in high school and being horrified and intrigued at the same time. I ended up staying up all night reading the entire book (a collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales) cover to cover in a single sitting. Those were definitely not the stories I remembered!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Now I think I need to make time to read Peter Pan. I've only ever read and watched the Disney version.

I remember reading Grimm's version of Cinderella in high school and being horrified and intrigued at the same time. I ended up staying up all night reading the entire book (a collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales) cover to cover in a single sitting. Those were definitely not the stories I remembered!

This is traumatizing. 

• Like 3

I have now cleaned and sanitized the refrigerator shelf 3 times due to stupid defrosting turkey.  After the first time, I put it in a kitchen trash bag to avoid more leaking.  The second time, I double bagged it and then immediately had to take it back out, sanitize it, the shelf, the floor, and all surrounding food stuffs and triple bagged it and set it on a baking sheet.

Next year we're having rotisserie.

Dd25 and SIL are expected around midnight tonight.  Everyone is all atwitter.

• Like 3

Had a great day. Hosted 32 people. We had enough food, bit not a lot of leftover turkey. It was a good idea to do two turkeys instead of one big one. They turned out very moist and delicious. 

Just watching sportsball now. Got my second load in the dishwasher. Seattle's uniforms are hideous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had a great Thanksgiving! Played a fun new game. The food was all good. I brought the equivalent of nearly 3 pies home though it's all diced up with different flavors. I managed to bring home half a chocolate pie so my husband will be happy. The kids will be happy tomorrow. I allow pie for breakfast on black Friday, though no chocolate pie for breakfast.

I agree about turkey. I prefer chicken. If I host, I make Cornish hens, but I still prefer regular chicken. 

Peter Pan is a hard read! It was dd's favorite for awhile, which I thought was unusual. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dianthus said:

We had a great Thanksgiving! Played a fun new game. The food was all good. I brought the equivalent of nearly 3 pies home though it's all diced up with different flavors. I managed to bring home half a chocolate pie so my husband will be happy. The kids will be happy tomorrow. I allow pie for breakfast on black Friday, though no chocolate pie for breakfast.

I agree about turkey. I prefer chicken. If I host, I make Cornish hens, but I still prefer regular chicken. 

Peter Pan is a hard read! It was dd's favorite for awhile, which I thought was unusual. 

What was your fun new game?

• Like 2

Good morning!

It's Thanksgiving Dinner Day!

First up is blackberry cobbler which is not usual but dd and I made some for dd/sil wedding reception and they didn't get any, so we are making one now to make up for it.  The reception ones didn't turn out great anyway.  Once the cobbler is in the oven we'll start on the apple pies.  Then mashed potatoes, harvest corn salad, and whatever else.  Turkey will have to go in the oven around 10.

Coffee!

• Like 4

We're not doing Thanksgiving dinner until Sunday so things are pretty quiet around here.   I'm still working on cleaning out my storage unit.  I should have it done today or tomorrow.  I only have a couple more loads but they are going to different places so may have to split the load.

dh is getting a nuclear stress test.  His regular stress test had some concerning markers so they are checking more stuff out.  

• Like 6

An Ode to Pie

by KrissiK

Pie.       
I love pie.  
Cream pie.    
Fruit Pie.  
Pumpkin pie with real whipped cream.    
Boysenberry pie, fresh from the oven with a side of high quality vanilla icecream, right there on the plate, melting just a little so the melted icecream mixes with the berry juices.  
Pie.

6/2018

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Yuck, Oregon State has pretty nasty uniforms too.  Head to toe bright orange.  And Oregon is wearing lime green, but at least white pants.   Both on the same field is extremely jarring.  Blech. 

Yeah, I watched the last few minutes of that game. It was a visual cacophony.  And a lopsided score.

Watched the Texas/Texas Tech blood bath most of the evening. That was pretty sad.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I've never had boysenberry pie.  In fact, the only time I've had a boysenberry is when I was a kid and my neighbor friend's mom would offer us yogurts and I would always pick boysenberry.  In those days, yogurt cups were quite exotic.

Boysenberries are kind of a California thing, I think because our climate isn’t suited for the more traditional berries. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

It was. This is why I steer clear of fairy tales and most nursery rhymes when my kids are little.

I remember reading the unabridged Grimm’s Fairy Tales. That was traumatizing. They certainly aren’t for modern children. But Disney just does that to everything. And Mary Poppins, was that Disney, too?? The musical?? The “real” Mary Poppins wasn’t all sweetness and light like Julie Andrew was.

• Like 4

I also foresee another trip to LA in a couple of weeks. My niece is having a private screening of Wonka (she plays Noodle) and the whole family is meeting up to watch. It will be the first time in years my parents, and my sisters and their families are getting together. Dancer is even coming, but we don't think she'll be able to bring Baby Dancer because of the dad. I will refrain from saying choice words. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Renai said:

I also foresee another trip to LA in a couple of weeks. My niece is having a private screening of Wonka (she plays Noodle) and the whole family is meeting up to watch. It will be the first time in years my parents, and my sisters and their families are getting together. Dancer is even coming, but we don't think she'll be able to bring Baby Dancer because of the dad. I will refrain from saying choice words. 

Is Noodle in the other movies? I haven't read the book and she doesn't sound familiar. 

• Like 2