Menu

Ignore this thread!

GiftPo

Any ITTer who would like my AAS levels 3-7, including the bag, card boxes, and magnets?

PM me, please; cover my shipping costs and it is yours (must be a somewhat regular poster on ITT thread to get this deal, first to contact me)

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1

EdPo

I had a talk with DH last night, and he agreed on outsourcing classes for high school (read: pay money).  I just can’t do it all since I work full time.  So now that I have the green light, I’m realizing I have to figure out what classes.

What classes would you pick?  One source better than another? Anything to stay away from? What questions do I need to ask myself?

• Like 4

We have outsourced classes from WTMA and while our specific classes might not be helpful to you (SAT Prep and Japanese 1 and 2), I have been pleased with our experiences with them.  

We also outsourced Calculus through Wilson Hill Academy a couple years ago - It was the most expensive option, but there were no other live calculus classes (most were video instruction with live help sessions).

Not much help, but if I needed to outsource other things, I would at least start my search with WTMA because of previous experience.  They also have sample teaching videos for most (all?) their instructors.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

We have outsourced classes from WTMA and while our specific classes might not be helpful to you (SAT Prep and Japanese 1 and 2), I have been pleased with our experiences with them.  

We also outsourced Calculus through Wilson Hill Academy a couple years ago - It was the most expensive option, but there were no other live calculus classes (most were video instruction with live help sessions).

Not much help, but if I needed to outsource other things, I would at least start my search with WTMA because of previous experience.  They also have sample teaching videos for most (all?) their instructors.   

Thanks! I’ll start there.  We’re using CLRC right now for his Russian, but I don’t want to limit myself to one source, you know? And I will go over to the high school threads, but I’m a bit too burnt out right now to weed through those threads 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

EdPo

I had a talk with DH last night, and he agreed on outsourcing classes for high school (read: pay money).  I just can’t do it all since I work full time.  So now that I have the green light, I’m realizing I have to figure out what classes.

What classes would you pick?  One source better than another? Anything to stay away from? What questions do I need to ask myself?

Thinking more about this....

I would think about worldview and worldview of the provider.

Also, - what classes do you want to teach?

What subjects does he have more motivation to do or less motivation to do?

Do you want to outsource what he's good at (increasing odds of success)?

Or do you want to outsource something that drags at home, using outside enthusiasm and accountability to shore it up?

How many classes do you want to outsource next year? 

Do you have options specific to where you live (in-person or virtual) that are particularly good or helpful?  (FLVS???  Is that right?  I don't know anything about it.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

EdPo

We haven't really outsourced anything (other than music lessons), but if I were going to outsource some high school classes I would outsource the skill subjects:

1. Definitely math.

2. Probably biology and chemistry.

3. Maybe writing (although I was a high school English teacher and it would absolutely pain me to spend money on this -- I already spent $$$$$$$ on the degree...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am really struggling with this home decorating thing. I am not a decorator. I like my house to look decent, and put together, but I hate to shop and I hate to spend $. I don’t really have a grasp on my style, I kind of know what colors I like (earth tones), but overall, I am at a loss. So, all that said.... I need a comforter for my bed. We were using the beautiful quilt my Grandma made, but we “use our bed”, not just for sleeping. I fold laundry on it, I plop down on top and read a book. The kids plop down next to me and talk. The quilt started coming apart, so I put it away. But now I need a comforter. I looked at Macy’s, JCPenny’s, Bed, Bathand Beyond, Dillard’s....and I just don’t know. Solid or print?? Colors? I just need someone to get something for me and say, “here, this will look good” and I can say, “ok, thank you!”

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Thinking more about this....

I would think about worldview and worldview of the provider.

Also, - what classes do you want to teach?

What subjects does he have more motivation to do or less motivation to do?

Do you want to outsource what he's good at (increasing odds of success)?

Or do you want to outsource something that drags at home, using outside enthusiasm and accountability to shore it up?

How many classes do you want to outsource next year? 

Do you have options specific to where you live (in-person or virtual) that are particularly good or helpful?  (FLVS???  Is that right?  I don't know anything about it.)

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

We haven't really outsourced anything (other than music lessons), but if I were going to outsource some high school classes I would outsource the skill subjects:

1. Definitely math.

2. Probably biology and chemistry.

3. Maybe writing (although I was a high school English teacher and it would absolutely pain me to spend money on this -- I already spent $$$$$$$ on the degree...)

EdPo

Honestly, plan to outsource as much as possible.  Definitely the core classes needed to get him to where he can do dual enrollment without issue. Definitely writing.  He hates to do any writing.  Hates me correcting him.  And I was a natural writer - I haven’t been successful at teaching it to someone who isn’t. Grammar, we’ve covered well.  It’s just the whole writing thing.  I’m waaaay too critical, apparently.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ikslo said:

EdPo

Honestly, plan to outsource as much as possible.  Definitely the core classes needed to get him to where he can do dual enrollment without issue. Definitely writing.  He hates to do any writing.  Hates me correcting him.  And I was a natural writer - I haven’t been successful at teaching it to someone who isn’t. Grammar, we’ve covered well.  It’s just the whole writing thing.  I’m waaaay too critical, apparently.  

I have not been as successful as I would like at teaching writing.  Part of it is just me taking the time, but really I think because it's hard to teach something that I learned without being taught.  I didn't need someone to teach me writing.  I just knew it.  I've had the same problem with spelling.  I have no idea how to teach spelling.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I am really struggling with this home decorating thing. I am not a decorator. I like my house to look decent, and put together, but I hate to shop and I hate to spend $. I don’t really have a grasp on my style, I kind of know what colors I like (earth tones), but overall, I am at a loss. So, all that said.... I need a comforter for my bed. We were using the beautiful quilt my Grandma made, but we “use our bed”, not just for sleeping. I fold laundry on it, I plop down on top and read a book. The kids plop down next to me and talk. The quilt started coming apart, so I put it away. But now I need a comforter. I looked at Macy’s, JCPenny’s, Bed, Bathand Beyond, Dillard’s....and I just don’t know. Solid or print?? Colors? I just need someone to get something for me and say, “here, this will look good” and I can say, “ok, thank you!”

We have a white down-alternative that is fairly thin.  I can dump in the washer/dryer no problem.  I love it.  Can you go with neutral and just add throw pillows for color?

If I had a quilt from grandma, though, I would mend it and put it back on. I’m very much a “meant to be used” type person.  A blanket in a closet is a sad blanket, indeed.  It has purpose!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

You'll have to take your whole family in and give them each some money so they can each buy a package!!

This is actually how we got a roll of TP during the first shortage. DH was in line behind someone who tried to play that game using his son. Cashier said nope and handed the extra to the next person in line who just happened to be DH. This was when you could only buy 1 roll (not package) at a time.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not heard from dh yet, which isn't too surprising since they are not likely to have much cell service in the national park, but I would really like to hear from him anyway that they are all okey-dokey.  The backpacking trail is rated at 1 mile per hour to hike (without fully loaded backpacks) and that means it is an extremely difficult trail and probably treacherous and my mind starts imagining the worst.  I'm sure they're fine.  

• Like 4

I love GF fried fish. I might make it for myself tomorrow. Let me go see if I have some fish. Pretty sure I do.

Worked today. Doing a little writing, but I mostly used the afternoon to do the things I would do Sunday morning. I need the writing time, and Saturdays are not great writing days.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ikslo said:

We have a white down-alternative that is fairly thin.  I can dump in the washer/dryer no problem.  I love it.  Can you go with neutral and just add throw pillows for color?

If I had a quilt from grandma, though, I would mend it and put it back on. I’m very much a “meant to be used” type person.  A blanket in a closet is a sad blanket, indeed.  It has purpose!

Ok, so, I thought about what I wanted and ordered something from Dillard’s. I think it will work. It’s a duvet in taupe and I ordered some coordinating pillows.

I agree with displaying/using the quilt. I would like to get a quilt hanger and hang it on the wall. There is a lot of handwork on it, it is a Dresden Plate pattern. She made each patch while she was waiting for cancer patients that she drove to their appointments.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, ikslo said:

EdPo

When my kids get to high school, they go to a local 1-day/week tutorial for things like lab sciences, Spanish, and literature/writing.  And they do other subjects, too, depending on what is being offered.  This has worked really well for our family, and it's actually less expensive than online options.

I will admit that I'm a bit intimidated by the idea of online classes - making sure the equipment and connections are all set up correctly, etc.  Though now with dh and ds25 working from home, I could see it being easier to manage.  I'm sure the kids would have no problem at all.  

• Like 2

I am not Slache but I'm still checking in.

Today I bought an inexpensive mop and bleach- mopped the dead chest freezer with the yucky bacteria laden meat juice.  Tomorrow I will mop it again with fresh bleach water.  I'm a bit paranoid about possibly leaving even a smidge of bacteria in some out of the way corner in there. 

I still don't know why the freezer stopped working.  It hasn't been high enough on our priority list to pull it out to look for where it's plugged in etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

This is actually how we got a roll of TP during the first shortage. DH was in line behind someone who tried to play that game using his son. Cashier said nope and handed the extra to the next person in line who just happened to be DH. This was when you could only buy 1 roll (not package) at a time.

You have to go to different cashiers or spread out a little bit for that to work.  

• Like 2

Morning.  I can't remember if I ever checked in yesterday or not.    Yesterday I was lazy.  I slept in a little bit, met up with my teacher to go over some things we're going to do to allow class makeups for when we have to close (already happened twice), did some cleaning at the science center (finally tackled my desk), went to the storage unit, then came home and read a romance novel.   

Today I have to do the laundry and plan classes for the week.   Next week we are closed all week for Thanksgiving so I'll be able to do the rest of the big reorganizing at the science center and catch up on a few weeks of classes.   Then we have only 3 weeks of classes before we are off 2 weeks for Christmas/New Year's, and I'll be able to finish up classes for the year during those weeks (hopefully).  

Dh is working outside on the house again this weekend.  They are stuccoing the chimney, finishing the flashing(? I think) and not sure what else. 

Dd and I are at the point where we only meet twice a week.  She's working a lot of hours and Sundays are her only day off so she wants to sleep in, so we meet Wednesday and Friday.  

• Like 4

I'm home, changed, and in bed under the blankies.  Dh texted while I was in service and said they were all doing great and did not blow away overnight in the windstorm.  He said I definitely would not have liked that trail, lol.  But they said it was great - giant boulders and crevices and steep climbs and all the "fun stuff".  

I can hear ds16 downstairs in his zoom orchestra rehearal.  Once in a while he breaks out into music from the Nutcracker, which is NOT what they are rehearsing.  😂  Not like the conductor would be able to tell. 

Nap time!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

I’m here!! Our internet was down this morning so I couldn’t check in!

We churched, went to Sunday School and came home and lunched. Now I’m watching Sportsball! Go Derek!!

Two girls stayed home today. Oldest DD has a bad cold. That girl had been running herself ragged, it is not surprising. Baby has a cold, too.

• Like 3

On 11/14/2020 at 12:29 PM, ikslo said:

EdPo

Paraphrasing something that Lynn said. If you outsource a class make sure it is completely outsourced. If you have to spend an hour and a half a day working with your kid to get the class done then you have not helped yourself. Don't get two $250 classes that you have to work side-by-side with him, get one $500 class that you don't have to help with.

Someone said that they were teaching biology at home, but the kid was doing labs at the local college. So the parent was able to teach the way that they wanted to, but washed her hands of the part she didn't want to deal with.

17 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Where's Slache?

Right here.

8 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Slachie never checked in? 

I thought we only had to check in every 3 days?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

Paraphrasing something that Lynn said. If you outsource a class make sure it is completely outsourced. If you have to spend an hour and a half a day working with your kid to get the class done then you have not helped yourself. Don't get two $250 classes that you have to work side-by-side with him, get one $500 class that you don't have to help with.

Someone said that they were teaching biology at home, but the kid was doing labs at the local college. So the parent was able to teach the way that they wanted to, but washed her hands of the part she didn't want to deal with.

Right here.

I thought we only had to check in every 3 days?

But we missed you!  It felt like three years!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

My plan is for it to be like his Russian class right now.  I check only to make sure he submitted the assignment and logs in for his classes, and that he isn’t failing.  I check nothing. That’s the teacher’s job.

I’m aiming for high school graduation, not Ivy League enrollment.  Low bar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

My plan is for it to be like his Russian class right now.  I check only to make sure he submitted the assignment and logs in for his classes, and that he isn’t failing.  I check nothing. That’s the teacher’s job.

I’m aiming for high school graduation, not Ivy League enrollment.  Low bar.

Word.

• Like 3