Menu

Ignore this thread!

**Warning:  Educational Content**

My littlest 2 can't multiply worth anything, but they love long division.

We usually pretend we're dividing cookies, although sometimes we switch up and divide gummy bears or whatever.

something/6  Oh, we have 6 kids, so let's see how many we each get.  Dad gets the remainder when there aren't enough to go around again.  Mom doesn't get leftover cookies because she's allergic.   :glare:  :lol:

something/8 -- Oh, Mom can have cookies this time because they're gluten free!!  We'll send the leftovers to Grandpa.

something/4 -- Ds17 and dd15 are at camp!  There are only 4 kids left.

They make up a story for every possible scenario.

Long division is Fun at our house!  :hurray:  And it takes forever.   :huh:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 8

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Do cats ever give anything but dirty looks? lol

Adoring looks, usually when it's time to be fed.

Grumpy looks, when people don't go to bed on time.

Insolent looks, when you are breathing their air.

And then there are the annoyed looks, just for general purposes.

Although one of my favorite cat looks is the Patient Look when being held by a small child.

• Like 5

((AMJ)). I'm glad your DH is willing to be supportive of YOU!! You're going to need this!!! And of course, it goes without saying that ITT is supportive, too. The ENB will be at your service, whatever happens.

Thank you very much.  All of you.  Have I mentioned how great you all are?

• Like 4

In those chunks and deadlines be sure you have chunks for AMJ to be home, AMJ to relax with family and DH, AMJ to exercise, AMJ to eat right, AMJ to rest.

Yes indeed.  It is part of what I want DH to remind me of.

• Like 2

My parents and brother's family invited themselves to my house for Thanksgiving (for multiple nights) to see Baby. I was a little put off when they told me this summer that they'd discussed it and would it be ok. Baby was due next week (end of Oct) and I wasn't sure how I'd feel. They reassured me that we could do whatever was easiest for food, no cooking, we didn't have to clean, and we could eat out so there's no dishes. I consented.

Now, I get a text from my brother saying we really should reevaluate our plans and try to have a more traditional meal because it will be nicer and a few unnamed people- probably my dad and SIL, are unhappy with the idea of something nontraditional!  :cursing:

And that's what we call a bait and switch and why am I surprised? DH agrees with them and wants something nicer at home too, but I know he's not cooking even if he says he would. Remember that turkey I made a few weeks ago? I shouldn't have done that. DH is like, "it was so easy and good- surely we could just do that!"

• Like 2

My parents and brother's family invited themselves to my house for Thanksgiving (for multiple nights) to see Baby. I was a little put off when they told me this summer that they'd discussed it and would it be ok. Baby was due next week (end of Oct) and I wasn't sure how I'd feel. They reassured me that we could do whatever was easiest for food, no cooking, we didn't have to clean, and we could eat out so there's no dishes. I consented.

Now, I get a text from my brother saying we really should reevaluate our plans and try to have a more traditional meal because it will be nicer and a few unnamed people- probably my dad and SIL, are unhappy with the idea of something nontraditional!  :cursing:

And that's what we call a bait and switch and why am I surprised? DH agrees with them and wants something nicer at home too, but I know he's not cooking even if he says he would. Remember that turkey I made a few weeks ago? I shouldn't have done that. DH is like, "it was so easy and good- surely we could just do that!"

Tell dear brother that he is more than welcome to bring the meal, but that you aren't in the position to cook.

Or tell him to go to h-l, I'm ok with that too. :)

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 8

So, my kitchen is looking the best it has in at least a year.  The cabinets still need to be wiped down, but one ds is happily occupying himself with sharpening all of my knives while the other ds is mopping.

I stepped on the bathroom scale this morning. I'm officially down 5# from a week ago.  Given that I haven't lost that much weight since I last gave birth, this is momentous.

• Like 9

Now, I get a text from my brother saying we really should reevaluate our plans and try to have a more traditional meal because it will be nicer and a few unnamed people- probably my dad and SIL, are unhappy with the idea of something nontraditional! :cursing:

Can you order a full meal from the local grocery or Honeybaked Ham? It would be more expensive than cooking everything at home, but it could have all the appearances of a "traditional Thanksgiving dinner". The idea of having a newborn and cooking a full holiday meal and having multiple guests staying for days...:svengo:

(All the grocery stores here offer full Thanksgiving meals that you order ahead and pick up on the day you want to eat it. You can get a full roasted turkey and/or ham, traditional sides, desserts, etc. I suppose you may need to warm some things up at home.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

(((Paige)))

I am a total cheater about Thanksgiving dinner.  It has been at my house for the past few years, but I don't put a lot of effort into the meal.

We buy several rotisserie chickens from the grocery store.  Instant mashed potatoes and jarred gravy.  Dh sometimes makes stovetop.  Steamfresh veggies.  Hawaiian sweet rolls.  Canned cranberry sauce.  Store-bought pies.

I only get to see my brother for a couple of hours a year.  I am not spending those hours cooking a meal.

• Like 8

Believe me, I'm counting the days. I don't sleep properly until Standard Time comes back. I never adjust.

Today I'm preparing the sheet for lucky draft number 9 as I finish working through number 8. I've got everything ready to go in case I'm picked to work on query and first 250 words with a mentor, but it's always best to just be ready to go it alone just in case. This time, though, I am seriously considering buying some software to help with proofreading and editing. One company I have been looking at has signed up with NaNoWriMo this year, and that means possible discounts with a win. That's how I got my Scrivener at almost half-price.

You find out about the contest tomorrow, right?

• Like 2

Tell dear brother that he is more than welcome to bring the meal, but that you aren't in the position to cook.

Or tell him to go to h-l, I'm ok with that too. :)

He can't bring the food and neither can my parents-they're traveling from too far away, but they would be happy to pitch in and buy something. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 2

Now, I get a text from my brother saying we really should reevaluate our plans and try to have a more traditional meal because it will be nicer and a few unnamed people- probably my dad and SIL, are unhappy with the idea of something nontraditional! :cursing:

Text your brother back. “What a great idea. I will find out what a prepared turkey dinner costs from the grocery store. Since I am providing the lodging I am sure that all of you would love to divvy up the cost of the meal. “.

• Like 4

Dd11, dd8, and I went out to plant some bulbs - mixed daffodils, white crocus, and a couple allium. We have a lot more to plant and I am hopeful that some of them might actually produce something colorful come spring! 🌷

That reminds me I need to plant my iris bulbs. Or rhizomes. Or tubers. I have no idea what they truly are.

Booya/h for flowers in the spring!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hungry-Man-Roasted-Carved-White-Meat-Turkey-Frozen-Dinner-16-oz-Box/15556207

We've had that for at least one Thanksgiving. It's actually pretty good (for a frozen meal).

• Like 2

Text your brother back. “What a great idea. I will find out what a prepared turkey dinner costs from the grocery store. Since I am providing the lodging I am sure that all of you would love to divvy up the cost of the meal. “.

We did this last year and they didn't like it. The sides weren't right or weren't the same as what they were used to. They wanted to do something different this year so I said we could go out. I thought it would be great- no cooking, no preparing anything, and no clean up. 

• Like 1

No.  NO.

You and the baby have had a rocky time of it, and you both need MONTHS to recover, rest, and solidify good health.  You cannot do this is people are expecting you to cook them a feast.  You cannot do this if people are taking over your house to try to prepare a feast.

In fact, I agree that you need to re-evaluate the plans, because this birth did not go according to expectations, and your recovery (yours and your baby's) require more quiet and rest than a houseful of guests can accommodate.  It would be entirely reasonable for you to call off all house guests.  Let them stay in a hotel.  You can let them know when you and Paigelet are available for SHORT visits -- in fact, it would be helpful for them to be in a nearby hotel so you both could get out of the house for short spells, while not going someplace crowded and noisy.  You don't even have to let them come by your house, since that would be a lot more stressful and disruptive to recovery for BOTH of you.

Surely they don't want to jeopardize your baby's health, nor your own.

Is there Boston Market where you are?  Boston Market is a very popular place for food, and the do a wonderful pre-order Thanksgiving dinner.  Your DH can order a full traditional meal for your household, and swing by BM Thanksgiving morning to pick it up.  If you don't have Boston Market have your DH call around; there's usually several places that will do something similar.

Dr. ITT orders NO work for you of any kind through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.  You are going to follow doctor's orders, right?   :toetap05:  :toetap05:  :toetap05:

• Like 7

We did this last year and they didn't like it. The sides weren't right or weren't the same as what they were used to. They wanted to do something different this year so I said we could go out. I thought it would be great- no cooking, no preparing anything, and no clean up.

Then you need to tell him. “Those wanting special dishes will need to figure out how to get them. We can direct them to the grocery store and they can use my pots and pans. I’m sure that you understand that I have a newborn and just providing lodging for so many people has me past my limit.â€

• Like 7

Actually I like what AMJ said better. It’s hard for me to stick up for myself but when I realize that I am also protecting an infant I’m better at it. And Mr. Paige had better be protecting your need for rest etc.

(Said by the woman who had given birth ten hours prior and whose Dh asked “what are you going to make for dinner ?†I said, "'I'm not..  What are you making?"  He got the point. )

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 8

Block it onto your calendar now.  Seriously.

I have some scheduled.  Our wedding anniversary coincides with a Halloween bash in ILs' neighborhood, so the kids are going to sleep over with their grandparents and join the fun.  DH and I are free to have a date night.

DH has a week-long out-of-town work thing to attend soon.  While he's gone the kids and I are eating out on the evenings DH would normally be starting supper (late activities).

DD16 and I have exercise time scheduled in on each day.  We have to nag each other about it.

By limiting Dad work to certain time blocks I am giving myself permission to NOT THINK about Dad tasks on other days.  I am also letting certain other household projects (massive decluttering) reduce and slide down the priority list.  My brain likes "not think" times, and usually comes up with good stuff when there's sufficient "not think" time.

I'm keeping my monthly massages.

I'll keep bowing out of family stuff or cutting my involvement short when I feel overwhelmed.

I am considering backing out of hosting Thanksgiving, too.  This coming weekend I'll have a chance to visit with other family (living north a few hours from us).  Another SIL might be happy enough to host.

I have also been practicing putting my foot down about this, if I am going to be the one handling it, will have to be done MY way.  No, Dad, no micromanaging.

• Like 3

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hungry-Man-Roasted-Carved-White-Meat-Turkey-Frozen-Dinner-16-oz-Box/15556207

We've had that for at least one Thanksgiving. It's actually pretty good (for a frozen meal).

I remember when those things came in foil trays.  There were a few times we had TV dinners rather frequently when I was growing up.  I believe they coincide with the birth of my sister, and certain other times Mom's health took a hard hit.

• Like 1

Trigger warning!

Reported.

EdPo.

Today in science we learned that a group of meerkats is called a..... wait for it......

A mob!!

A mob of meerkats.

We also saw an awesome video of a mongoose and a black mamba fighting. Of course the mongoose won!😜

• Like 8

This is where you put your foot down and say if certain people want traditional, they get to make it themselves and you will happily enjoy not cooking this year. And by the way, there will be all disposable plates, cups, bowls, saucers and silverware so that the pick up and put up is a breeze.

• Like 5

I have ketchupped. School starts back in about 40 min or so. I worked on the tail of my dear cat (my art project). The art teacher had to give me a shoulder squeeze for it, and I deserved it, because it is a gorgeous tail. You could just reach down and pet this cat in the picture, she's so adorameow!

I'm pretty motivated to get it finished so that I can do the transfer to watercolor paper and paint her next.

• Like 4

I live vicariously through you.  Because that sounds like my dream.  But in actual fact I don't want to put in hours of work at any of it. 

I'd put in the hours to draw, paint and write without a second thought. Gardening...let's just say that from about the end of June until the end of September, I'd have to kick myself to go do it. It's hot! And muggy! and buggy! And did I mention it's hot?

• Like 4

ENB is on the way to their homes with bazookas.

You can either tell them the whole thing is off. Or you can call Kroger's and let them cater the whole thing.

• Like 4

That said, I don't host holiday dinners because despite 25 years of interracial and intercultural marriage, there is a culture clash over holidays that still makes me crazy.  At least ten years ago I said "no more hosting at my house".  I tell them to tell me when and where and what to bring and I follow orders.  And dd and I always make sure that we volunteer to take the dogs out for a walk at some point.  I like dh's family  but this allows me to continue to like them, if you know what I mean. 

• Like 8

Alright, school is proceeding apace, the dinner prep is done, and all that is left is to go to the library, come home and cook the dinner, and clean up after it. The rest of the day may be spent reading, editing, drawing or painting. Not gardening. Too hot still and the ground is baked hard. There will be no weed pulling until an earth-saturating rain.

• Like 1