Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dd14 had a friend over to visit a few days ago.  At some point, in the middle of a conversation, my dh made a reference to Mr. Tumnus.  Dd14's friend said, "Who?"  We explained.  She responded with, "Oh. I've never read those books."

And my heart broke just a little bit.   :(

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Dd14 had a friend over to visit a few days ago. At some point, in the middle of a conversation, my dh made a reference to Mr. Tumnus. Dd14's friend said, "Who?" We explained. She responded with, "Oh. I've never read those books."

And my heart broke just a little bit. :(

I've never read the books. I will though. Because homeschool. :) I look forward to everything from Charlotte's Web to Homer and everything in between.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

It should be illegal to have to get up when it is still dark. Someone call the cops!

My every morning. In bed and it's pitch black and up in pitch black. I thought 3:45am was when you were supposed to go to bed? Edited by Based on Faith Academy
  • Like 1

I like Lose It. I would use it but I'm getting a new activity tracker SOMEDAY and it syncs with My Fitness Pal. I will make no comment on the sugar, nor will I tell you what I had for a snack earlier.

How terrible does it make me that I want an app to plan my day for me? I want it to tell me what I can eat for each meal. Then I don't have to think and count the calories because it's already counted for me.

• Like 3

The builders somehow predicted I would try that. I need to stop throwing shoes and try actual projectile weapons. That thing is stubbornly stuck, and in a restricted location, making it hard to get a good angle with the shoes. If paintball doesn't work I might have to resort to a sling-shot.

I would hire a handyman to come out and replace the battery if it didn't cost too much.

• Like 1

I City council'd. I'm home. In front of the tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of figured you'd do that, my civic-minded friend. I admire you for that. My only foray into the world of civic-dutying was when I went to a meet-n-greet for one of the County Supervisor candidates a couple years ago. I really liked him. I even put his sign on my lawn. He won the position, too, which amazed me because nobody I ever vote for wins. He's done a lot of good for our area, too.

That, or poke at it with a broomstick.

this is my preferred method of dealing with chirping smoke alarms.

I may be talking myself back out of the high school credit for physical science. <sigh>. No one markets apologia physical as highschool. I thought I had seen it listed as 9th several places. Maybe it used to be and vendors have been scolded for labeling it that way?

I hate science.

I'm sorry. I have no advice, since I am not dealing with high school, but DS started out the year with Apologia General Science which is marketed to middle schoolers and it was tough. He struggles with academics anyhow, so I put it away and he's doing zoology with the rest of us and enjoying it.

Ooooh-ya/h!!! I got a booya/h!!!!! A civic-minded, smoke alarm chirping, science-y booya/h!!! With COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ And French fries.ðŸŸðŸŸ

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Well, I am back from an amazing basketball game. Whoooo-boy. It was neck and neck most of the game, though sometimes the opposing team pulled ahead by as much as 6 or 8 points. Then we'd catch up. We were behind by 1 point in the final 13 seconds of the game and this kid on DS's team, A, sunk the three-pointer he had been missing all night. And we won by 2 points. I screamed so loud my throat is still sore. My DS had 14 points. They played an awesome game. It was a tough team.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 9

Dd14 had a friend over to visit a few days ago. At some point, in the middle of a conversation, my dh made a reference to Mr. Tumnus. Dd14's friend said, "Who?" We explained. She responded with, "Oh. I've never read those books."

And my heart broke just a little bit. :(

I have never read them either. There are so many books out there - nobody reads them all!

• Like 5

I have never read them either. There are so many books out there - nobody reads them all!

We named a section of our old house Narnia because there was a gas light in the middle of a small grove of trees.  It reminded us of scene in TLTW&TW.  We actually named it before we had decided to buy the house.

I know that not everyone has read the Narnia books, but I was surprised when dd14's friend hadn't.  It just seems like the kind of children's lit she would have enjoyed.

• Like 4

Caffeine! The rooster is an excellent boy. He waited until everyone was up, and the garage door was open to begin serenading this morning. Not a peep out of him all night long.

School today and a I have a ton of editing waiting. And I've got a touch of a sore throat. I think hot tea should clear that right up.

• Like 4

:lol: Your dh will come home and ask what the blue and red spots are about.

And I absolutely detest chirping alarms.  I would be tempted to get a hotel room.

It's HIS paintball gear.  He'd figure it out.  And then we'd have to start the budgeting to get the two-story entryway repainted (because I'm sure there will be splatter).  Given how high that ceiling is in the loft I'm tempted to hire out having that room painted, too, or at least the ceiling and the bits around the banister railings.  The entry is going to require scaffolding when it gets painted.

#HATEtwostoryspaces

#willacceptvaultedceilingsifactuallyvaultedandnotjusthigh

#wantallsurfacestobereachedfromthethirdstepofastepstool

#haveafearoffalling

• Like 4

I would hire a handyman to come out and replace the battery if it didn't cost too much.

We have another busy day today so we won't be overly bothered until bedtime again.  Last night I ran a load in the dryer as I was going to sleep and that helped to mask the noise, too.  I'll do that again tonight.  Then we only have to endure tomorrow and DH will be home and can change it.

Maybe tomorrow's class day will be spent studying outside.  It's supposed to be gorgeous here through Friday.

• Like 3

We named a section of our old house Narnia because there was a gas light in the middle of a small grove of trees.  It reminded us of scene in TLTW&TW.  We actually named it before we had decided to buy the house.

I know that not everyone has read the Narnia books, but I was surprised when dd14's friend hadn't.  It just seems like the kind of children's lit she would have enjoyed.

Well, perhaps now she will read them!

• Like 1

Caffeine! The rooster is an excellent boy. He waited until everyone was up, and the garage door was open to begin serenading this morning. Not a peep out of him all night long.

School today and a I have a ton of editing waiting. And I've got a touch of a sore throat. I think hot tea should clear that right up.

I had Tension Tamer tea last night at bedtime and reminisced over old times (prompted by treasures located in that box of old papers yesterday, and by talking to my friend).  I slept better than I have in quite a while despite light leaking in, chirping smoke alarm, and general stuff and stuffiness.  I drank the tea from the one hand-formed stoneware mug of normal size I own.  (I have another hand-formed stoneware mug that is quite small, which has been my mug for Mrs. Grass's Chickeny Noodle Soup when I'm sick and don't have anyone to make homemade soup for me.  DD15 now uses it for the same soup when she is sick.  It's a healing mug.)

I am now enjoying the same tea in the same mug this morning.  My brain is starting to wake up again, spurred by old memories and recollections.  I think I'm supposed to find certain things in those boxes now to get my brain going, reminisce with my friend when we see her later this spring, and perhaps nurture another seed of a writing vein (to mix incompatible metaphors).

Looking back requires opportunity to stop and remember.  I haven't done that in a while.

My friend and I used to have a quiet cup of tea in the evenings.  She always had one, and I would join her when I was over.  When I was at home it was usually hot chocolate.  I need to drink less hot chocolate now, but tea is tasting nicer plain since I drastically cut down the sugar and starches in my diet, so tea is now a good evening prospect.

• Like 2

Hey Slache!  I did C25K Day 2!  Interestingly, on the cheap/free (possibly inaccurate) steps app I have it registered 2 miles and approx 4000 steps.  Kind of a bummer to do a "work out" and not even be half way to 10,000 steps.  You 10K steppers are my heroes!

App?  As in on your phone?  Maybe you aren't jostling it up and down enough as you work out!

I have the Pacer app on my phone, and if I recall correctly I was able to adjust the sensitivity of the app a little to improve my step count accuracy.  I set it fairly sensitive, and now it's in the ballpark of my estimates (based upon the 4.5 miles it takes for me to do 10K steps).  However, Pacer doesn't count all of my steps because I keep forgetting to wear my phone when I walk on the treadmill.

Hey Slache!  I did C25K Day 2!  Interestingly, on the cheap/free (possibly inaccurate) steps app I have it registered 2 miles and approx 4000 steps.  Kind of a bummer to do a "work out" and not even be half way to 10,000 steps.  You 10K steppers are my heroes!

Woot! Good job!

My goal was always 6,000 steps. :leaving:

ONE MORE DAY! :001_wub:

• Like 3

App?  As in on your phone?  Maybe you aren't jostling it up and down enough as you work out!

I have the Pacer app on my phone, and if I recall correctly I was able to adjust the sensitivity of the app a little to improve my step count accuracy.  I set it fairly sensitive, and now it's in the ballpark of my estimates (based upon the 4.5 miles it takes for me to do 10K steps).  However, Pacer doesn't count all of my steps because I keep forgetting to wear my phone when I walk on the treadmill.

Well if it takes you 4.5 miles to do 10K steps, my app probably isn't far off.

• Like 2

It's HIS paintball gear.  He'd figure it out.  And then we'd have to start the budgeting to get the two-story entryway repainted (because I'm sure there will be splatter).  Given how high that ceiling is in the loft I'm tempted to hire out having that room painted, too, or at least the ceiling and the bits around the banister railings.  The entry is going to require scaffolding when it gets painted.

#HATEtwostoryspaces

#willacceptvaultedceilingsifactuallyvaultedandnotjusthigh

#wantallsurfacestobereachedfromthethirdstepofastepstool

#haveafearoffalling

We have the same kind of space in our house.  We're definitely going to hire someone when it's time to paint it.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good gift idea...

• Like 2

:hurray:  :hurray:

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I vacuumed.  I'm worn out.  I blame lack of sugar.  Maybe I'll make some decaf a little later.  No creamer.   :crying:

(Just by way of clarification, I'm not one who can do a little bit of sweet, or I'll want all the sweets.  And the reason I'm trying to make a drastic change is all the late night, after kids' activities fast food stops were starting to add up!  10 lbs since August!!!)  I really like the Lose It app.  So easy to find calorie counts for various foods and add them and know what you have left for the day, etc.  

• Like 3

I vacuumed. I'm worn out. I blame lack of sugar. Maybe I'll make some decaf a little later. No creamer. :crying:

(Just by way of clarification, I'm not one who can do a little bit of sweet, or I'll want all the sweets. And the reason I'm trying to make a drastic change is all the late night, after kids' activities fast food stops were starting to add up! 10 lbs since August!!!) I really like the Lose It app. So easy to find calorie counts for various foods and add them and know what you have left for the day, etc.

He doesn't care how clean your house is, he just wants you and the kids. You could probably burn the house down and it would take him 3 hours to notice. Don't stress.
  • Like 4

I wrote out my thoughts from last night's council meeting. I think I will speechify again at the next meeting. And a political monster is born. . .

Jeannie for President! Can I be your campaign manager? We can get a big bus and travel all over the country and you can give speeches.
  • Like 5

"Finish this and stop crying. You can cry when I'm done working with you!"

Even numbers are tough. It's even tougher when your mom has a limited amount of time to work with you.

Language Arts are easier. She's now humming to herself as she underlines the vowels. I like listening to her hum. I am not a hummer.

Extra points for quoting myself.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3