• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I had minor mutiny on my hands when I said we were covering poetry again this summer. But I think I've got the boys convinced that the Grammar of Poetry with the DVDs isn't going to kill them. At least not immediately. :lol:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

Hey everyone!!!! Our Kit Cat came back tonight!!!!! Praise the Lord!! We are so thankful! She's not dirty or scruffy or even wet. Is it possible she hid under the deck for 3 days in spite of sticking our heads under there at every angle possible?

How is she? Starving? Or do you think she had been eating somewhere? It's possible she could've been under the deck. She must've been scared. Poor baby. So glad she is home.

Ima bed soon. Sweet dreams to all, especially critter and crew.:)

• Like 3

Hey everyone!!!! Our Kit Cat came back tonight!!!!! Praise the Lord!! We are so thankful! She's not dirty or scruffy or even wet. Is it possible she hid under the deck for 3 days in spite of sticking our heads under there at every angle possible? 

So glad Kitty is home! :hurray:

• Like 2

How is she? Starving? Or do you think she had been eating somewhere? It's possible she could've been under the deck. She must've been scared. Poor baby. So glad she is home.

Ima bed soon. Sweet dreams to all, especially critter and crew. :)

She looks great, but she did visit the litter box and the food dish twice within the last hour!  Thanks for everyone's well wishes!

• Like 6

I do not trust midterm and final exam grades from this class. They do not accurately reflect the students' abilities. Students have read all chapters, completed at home module tests and done okay (reflecting material learned adequately), and done labs. Sigh.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

What would y'all do with two hypothetical boys who had a less than stellar teaching experience with 9th grade Biology in terms of making sure material was learned and assigning a transcript grade? I do not trust midterm and final exam grades from this class. They do not accurately reflect the students' abilities due to poor teacher preparation for the tests. Students have read all chapters, completed at home module tests and done okay (reflecting material learned adequately), and done labs. Sigh.

I'd be tempted to weight participation and home model tests more than exam grades.  One of the joys of homeschooling is that you can weight things however you want on the transcript, just like people do in real life classrooms.

The real question is how to make sure that the material is learned. You said the home module tests were ok--are those adequately reflective of the materials?  If they are, then I'd say good enough.  I learn more from how well my kids can discuss the material than how well they do on the tests.  If the home modules are ok and they can still recall and discuss the basics, I'd feel comfortable weighting the class differently than the teacher does given the circumstances you describe.

• Like 3

Dd has started puking.

I'm great with head wounds, poo in all its varieties, and various other bodily fluids....but puking kids makes me cry (and puke). Norovirus has been going around in our community and I am still immunocompromised. I am skeered.

(((Hugs)))

I gag at emptying throw up trash cans.

Dd has started puking.

I'm great with head wounds, poo in all its varieties, and various other bodily fluids....but puking kids make me cry (and puke). Norovirus has been going around in our community and I am still immunocompromised. I am skeered.

Maybe she'll be a one and done!  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I've really been doing a wonderful job ignoring this thread. I am quite proud of myself. ;)

But think how much more proud you could be if you had dozens of posts, and knew all the in jokes, and how and when to booya, and stuff like that. :hat:

• Like 7

Y'all! I am such a loser. 

All the fuss about the school credit card? 

I apparently can't tell the difference between [YOU SHOULD PROBABLY REDACT THIS]. So, I entered the expiration date wrong. :/ 

I AM A DORK. 

What would y'all do with two hypothetical boys who had a less than stellar teaching experience with 9th grade Biology in terms of making sure material was learned and assigning a transcript grade? I do not trust midterm and final exam grades from this class. They do not accurately reflect the students' abilities due to poor teacher preparation for the tests. Students have read all chapters, completed at home module tests and done okay (reflecting material learned adequately), and done labs. Sigh.

In high school, because my high school was very old-fashioned, they would only consider raising grades if more than half the class got below a C. That happened twice. It could not be the case that more than two people got an A, either. It had to be that nobody was getting an A and most people were effectively not passing.

In that case, they would re-test us either with better preparation, or with a better test. I thought that was fair and good preparation for college.

• Like 1

In high school, because my high school was very old-fashioned, they would only consider raising grades if more than half the class got below a C. That happened twice. It could not be the case that more than two people got an A, either. It had to be that nobody was getting an A and most people were effectively not passing.

In that case, they would re-test us either with better preparation, or with a better test. I thought that was fair and good preparation for college.

The teacher does class, labs, and the two semester exams. She never sees the module tests. Those are done at home, in addition to the homework.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

Well, back from the basketball games. DS1 lost by... I think it was 20 points and DS2 lost by 30 points. Ugly games. It's only rec league, so it's no big deal, but you can sure tell the difference between the boys who actually practice at home and the boys (like mine) who don't.

Lynn, so happy that Kit Kat is back! I knew she'd come home!

Susan, I'm there!

Prairie, get out the hand santizer and use it liberally!

Mary, you are not a dork!

And.... did I see someone new hanging around ITT?

• Like 10

Good Morning Friends!

We stayed up late last night - the kids - because they were enjoying the cat; dh - because he was watching Super Tuesday returns (and a chance to discuss political things with dc); me - because I had caffeine at supper.  Doh! 

So far I am the only one up and moving.  Well, Kit Cat got up with me, meowed and leg-rubbed her thanks for food, water, and clean litter box, and then went back upstairs to go back to sleep.  :D

• Like 10

Good Morning!

I slept. No dreams that I remember.

Some big changes are happening in our household regarding church and such. Please send good thoughts, prayers, etc. While I feel we need to make a change, I am feeling uncomfortable with the direction this is heading.

• Like 6

We are having a storm. The Y has no power. How am I going to survive without the treadmill? Tsuga do you have power? We have power at our home. But lots of wind. And hail.

Congrats on your son's decision!!!

And we had power. We also found a dog that escaped a blown over fence! Those tags with the county animal people numbers work. Dog was returned to a family within minutes.

I love when I see gentle dogs. This dog was so unwise to the ways of the world... And cars... But he's safe now.

• Like 7

Congrats on your son's decision!!!

And we had power. We also found a dog that escaped a blown over fence! Those tags with the county animal people numbers work. Dog was returned to a family within minutes.

I love when I see gentle dogs. This dog was so unwise to the ways of the world... And cars... But he's safe now.

Ah.  That's nice that you were able to get him back to his family so quickly. 

• Like 3