Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning, all! I do not want to be up. It took ever ounce of will power I had to not roll over in bed and go back to sleep! 

Same here. I was sleeping hard. 

You know that nice trip for ice cream last night? Three of us had nightmares on and off all night. I woke up crying and whimpering at one point. One of the sons had a dream about the death of our sweet old cat. :sad:  I think all three of us are swearing off ice cream sundaes after dark.

Ice cream should never make you have bad dreams. :( 

That's it.

I would try out all the other toppings before giving up ice cream altogether.

It had to have been bad caramel, right? 

Never give up ice cream. Just give up toppings! :D 

• Like 5

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I really need to see the "no touching zone" for myself.

It looks just like the picture.  A wide zone of mowed down nothing inside a sea of trees.  With the occasional concrete monument-thingy.

And it may go through "the middle of nowhere" which may seem lonely and isolated, but there are motion sensors all along it.  (Just ask the genius who decided to smuggle a sledful of prescription meds over the border in winter. Nice try, guy, but, yeah, they already thought of that.)

• Like 5

You know that nice trip for ice cream last night? Three of us had nightmares on and off all night. I woke up crying and whimpering at one point. One of the sons had a dream about the death of our sweet old cat. :sad:  I think all three of us are swearing off ice cream sundaes after dark.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Also, by the way, I need a new dictionary for general use. A good one. One that defines the words forge as well as utilitarian. Any recommendations?

Um...Google?

You will all be happy to know, however, that I have done my duty as an educator.  When DS went to do his history definition the other night, he realized his iPad battery was almost dead, so he plugged it in and went to the shelf for the Property of the US Government Dictionary, and looked up the word the old fashioned way.  And I didn't even have to tell him to.   Proud momma moment.

• Like 6

Maybe someone drugged your sundaes.   :scared:

Hmm. I did think that the caramel had a funny taste....

I am not the world's mediator.  Grown people can handle their own problems and feelings.  I need a t shirt that says all of that.   :D

To which I would add: And if they can't, there are people who are paid to handle that, yo.

• Like 6

Boy, I am having trouble getting moving this morning. I think I need another cup of coffee as we start school.

Obligatory educational post of the day: I said, "as we start school". Any post with the word "school" in it counts as educational, right?

• Like 5

Boy, I am having trouble getting moving this morning. I think I need another cup of coffee as we start school.

Obligatory educational post of the day: I said, "as we start school". Any post with the word "school" in it counts as educational, right?

I think it needs to also contain "shall" or "shan't,"  an ITT technicality that is often ignored.

• Like 4

Sudafed always makes me have weird dreams. Have you noticed you are more decongested than usual? 

:lol: Not more than usual. I'm kind of lucky in that regard. I'll sneeze at this time of year as I can actually see the clouds of pollen floating around over the property. But I don't get congested. Very fortunate me!

• Like 1

:party:  :party:

(I'm a wee bit jealous of you.  Contemplating the whole baseboards thing here.)

I think that putting her favorite stuffie in the linen closet is what did the trick.

She told me that she can't sleep without it.  Considering the fact that she just got this stuffie for Christmas two months ago means that one or more of the following is true:

a.  she is lying

b.  she needs a logic class

c.  she did not sleep for the first 8-ish years of her life  :lol:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

:grouphug:  to Critter and ds.

I'm in between victims, I mean students, some of whom are fighting in the kitchen right now.  La la la la la la la.  I don't hear anything. 

Dawn, I have no real good advice about dictionaries except maybe go to half price books next time you go to the big city.  (Do you have a half price books near you?)  I have been just as happy with some of my old dictionaries from the 70s as anything else.  One thing I wanted was one with word origins so we would know when something was from Latin (or Old English, French, etc.) and make connections with other related words, etc.  Or maybe I'm just weird and like to know word origins.  Anyway, I thought that was kind of standard, but evidently a number of dictionaries do not include it.   

• Like 4

I think that putting her favorite stuffie in the linen closet is what did the trick.

She told me that she can't sleep without it.  Considering the fact that she just got this stuffie for Christmas two months ago means that one or more of the following is true:

a.  she is lying

b.  she needs a logic class

c.  she did not sleep for the first 8-ish years of her life  :lol:

:lol:

(I'm outta likes.)

• Like 5

This ones for Ellie (but the rest of you can read it too).  I told my primary allopathic doctor yesterday that the naturopath had increased my nature-throid.  He was skeptical about this because at my former dose I was within the range of normal.  It didn't matter that I feel so much better and am actually starting to be able to lose some weight.  So he insisted that my thyroid levels be tested again to make sure that the naturopathic doc wasn't overmedicating me.  My levels are still within his desired normal but so much more optimal! 

• Like 9

I have come to the conclusion that while I am a reasonably talented individual when it comes to drawing, I cannot draw a good parabola. :confused1:

It's like a circle in that you probably just have high standards.

• Like 4

Did you tell your allopathic doctor that he is an idiot, Jean?  I think I'd be looking for someone new.

Back from the pediatric dentist.  Dd got 5 cavities filled and 2 sealants done. She was a rockstar. Next week my non-rock star for dental treatment  kid is going in. I think the dentist has been in practice long enough that she has seen and done it all, but I am anticipating an adventure.

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 3

Did you tell your allopathic doctor that he is an idiot, Jean?  I think I'd be looking for someone new.

Back from the pediatric dentist.  Dd got 5 cavities filled and 2 sealants done. She was a rockstar. Next week my non-rock star for dental treatment  kid is going in. I think the dentist has been in practice long enough that she has seen and done it all, but I am anticipating an adventure.

No.  I go to him for the big ticket stuff. And he's good at that.   I go to the naturopathic doc for the chronic stuff.  He's good at that.  Both my doctors can handle me disagreeing with them at times and even arguing my point if I think it is important enough.  They know that I'm an important part of my own medical team. 

• Like 7

Mary, advise me on weather for next week in Mo. Must plan wardrobes.

When are you leaving? The weather changes all the stinkin' time. Yesterday, it was 68 and gorgeous. Today? It feels like 38.

:/ 

ETA: Current weather says

Sun - 66/55 - 70% chance AM rain

Mon - 69/59 - 60% rain

Tues - 68/56 - 70% rain

Wed - 66/49 - 60% rain

Thur- 66/44 - cloudy

Fri - 66/44 - partly cloudy

Sat - 69/46 - 30% PM showers

Sun - 67/44 - partly cloudy 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

This ones for Ellie (but the rest of you can read it too).  I told my primary allopathic doctor yesterday that the naturopath had increased my nature-throid.  He was skeptical about this because at my former dose I was within the range of normal.  It didn't matter that I feel so much better and am actually starting to be able to lose some weight.  So he insisted that my thyroid levels be tested again to make sure that the naturopathic doc wasn't overmedicating me.  My levels are still within his desired normal but so much more optimal! 

:hurray:   That's great news!

• Like 4

My hypothyroid vent for the week is that my new dr (because I moved) prescribed l-thyroxine instead of synthroid name brand. I gained 20 lbs last time I was on l-thyroxine.  I hate dealing with rx issues.

:grouphug:   Did you call them and get it switched back to synthroid?  Time to set the Dr. straight! 

• Like 4

When are you leaving? The weather changes all the stinkin' time. Yesterday, it was 68 and gorgeous. Today? It feels like 38.

:/ 

ETA: Current weather says

Sun - 66/55 - 70% chance AM rain

Mon - 69/59 - 60% rain

Tues - 68/56 - 70% rain

Wed - 66/49 - 60% rain

Thur- 66/44 - cloudy

Fri - 66/44 - partly cloudy

Sat - 69/46 - 30% PM showers

Sun - 67/44 - partly cloudy 

This is not bad except for all of the rain.  Last year, it was really cold at that time.  My hair does not appreciate rain.

• Like 1

:grouphug:   Did you call them and get it switched back to synthroid?  Time to set the Dr. straight! 

I cannot address the doctor directly. All prescription issues have to be dealt with through the pharmacy. And, I use one of the big mail-order pharmacies for this drug. I just got done with an hour long call with the pharmacy. I finally got to a really helpful pharmacist who noted my file that I had a previous therapeutic failure and because it's a narrow therapeutic window drug, is mailing me my synthroid today.  It took an hour, but I am happy.

I really feel like I should give my children a binder of helpful info on how to handle medical appeals and complicated Rx info because I spend a good chunk of my life doing this, and they have complicated medical stuff themselves.  How do you teach self-advocacy?

Also, my other happiness is that I am able to make up for my foot-in-the-mouth moment this morning by bringing 3 dozen cookies and a bag of clementines to an event tonight. Phew!  I promise I am ever so well-meaning and ever so awkward at the same time.

• Like 4

I cannot address the doctor directly. All prescription issues have to be dealt with through the pharmacy. And, I use one of the big mail-order pharmacies for this drug. I just got done with an hour long call with the pharmacy. I finally got to a really helpful pharmacist who noted my file that I had a previous therapeutic failure and because it's a narrow therapeutic window drug, is mailing me my synthroid today.  It took an hour, but I am happy.

I really feel like I should give my children a binder of helpful info on how to handle medical appeals and complicated Rx info because I spend a good chunk of my life doing this, and they have complicated medical stuff themselves.  How do you teach self-advocacy?

Also, my other happiness is that I am able to make up for my foot-in-the-mouth moment this morning by bringing 3 dozen cookies and a bag of clementines to an event tonight. Phew!  I promise I am ever so well-meaning and ever so awkward at the same time.

I feel you.  I hear you.  I forgive anyone bearing cookies and clementines for foot in mouth.  We all suffer from some shortcoming, you know?  I try so hard to offer people grace because I need it offered to me.

Re: self-advocacy, I learned a long time ago to say, "I have a problem, and I am hoping you can help me with it."  Most people try to help.  I hate phone calls like that and put them off as long as possible so I understand how draining that is.  But I am glad you did actually get help.

• Like 5

Wes Callihan's Guide to the Great Books arrived today. :001_wub:

I'm partly attracted to Roman Roads and partly not. You'll have to give us an update sometime. Is the guide part of the DVD course or something different?

Eta. It's a Great Books BOOYAH!!!

And an educational post to boot!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 6

I'm liking in an understanding way, not agreeing. You're not a dork!

When my principal texts me and says "Hey, so we figured out the problem. The expiration date was entered wrong."

Then, you're like "But, I put in ____!"

"Umm, that's why. It was ____." 

It's very hard to not feel like a huge dork. lol So, you can totally agree that I had a very dorky moment. 

And, I'm probably dating myself by using "dorky".

Edit: redacted info

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

I'm partly attracted to Roman Roads and partly not. You'll have to give us an update sometime. Is the guide part of the DVD course or something different?

Eta. It's a Great Books BOOYAH!!!

And an educational post to boot!

It's separate.  It is published/controlled by Veritas Press from when he was with them; I think the Roman Roads series is Mr. Callihan's current version that he controls.  But I really wanted a hard copy guide, because I am very attached to the written word.  I also have the DVDs and have BEGUN watching the Greeks.  So far it's awesome.  Jo was leaning Omnibus, but I'm hoping to tempt her over to Old Western Culture.

I'll keep you posted.  :001_smile:

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3