• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

It sounds pretty typical for the age, actually. Little dd is this age. Their thinking is linear and straightforward. It is a simple time for them. They are on the verge of abstract thinking but many or most are not there yet. I think it's developmental. It's one of my beefs with public school, the requirement that teachers assign writing that is not developmentally appropriate. And teachers seem to get little choice in the matter, even though it is ineffective. I would be frustrated, too.

Little dd is doing Writing Tales, which relies on the retelling of Aesop's fables, adding her own fun changes. She is a natural writer, but she would be lost with an opinion paper at this stage. That is more a middle school developmental task, IMO.

Even some of my 9th graders struggle to find their own opinions and write about them. I have done a lot of in-class modeling of how to brainstorm, take notes, and then craft a paragraph or essay. I don't want bs from them. I want them to find their own "voice" in writing. The curriculum I'm using is formulaic, which provides support for struggling writers.

I don't know how much leeway you have, but in a perfect world in your classroom, I would model in the board how to come up with opinions and points and turn them into sentences and organize them into a paragraph. I would do this a lot. Even my high school students need good models so I would hand out an example of a 4th grade-appropriate model for am opinion paragraph.

Ok, good. So, maybe I"m not as crappy at this as I thought! :) 

We model. I write, then they write. eta: I start with a blank 5 square writing planning page. I model how I think it through. THEN, we all get a planning page.  I say "For this square, write xyz". Then, we discuss supporting details for each central reason. We talk about all the things that could go under that reason. I walk step by step through the introductory square and each central reason. Then, I let them work in groups to come up with their central reasons (they need 3) and their supporting details. 

Then, we walk through (I model, then they write) how to write the introductory paragraph, the central reason paragraphs, and then the conclusion. 

It should be fool proof, but it's not. lol 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 6

The boys are doing fine with school today. I am just about fed up with myself. One page of rectangles to solve sides by the quadratic equation and I copy the problem down wrong TWICE. 

I think (hope) I just need more caffeine. But it's days like this that make me sympathetic when the boys have their own brain spasms. :laugh:

• Like 2

I think it might seem that way but the reality is that kids slowly develop this.

My step-son has not been spoon-fed. He's an intelligent, voracious reader. He simply can. not. think. critically. It's not there yet. He thinks he can, but at most he can ridicule. I promise you, his mother, his father, his step-parents, his teachers, we all will point at essay answers and say, "This doesn't give me new information. You need to connect a specific detail in the text with a thought you have about it, not an opinion but a what-if statement, or a value statement, and explain why."

We keep telling him. We keep saying over and over "I liked it because it was good" is a fine opinion to state at dinner when we asked if you liked the movie, but that is not critical thought. You need to explain why. You need to make connections.

In the seventh grade he's just starting to get there. He is getting to the logic phase. Pre-logic phase he was 10,000% parrot phase. I think that the girls, being more verbal, were able to construct parroted logic very creatively. Like I don't see my older step-daughter or DD1 making any original connections, however they were always able to use the formula to insert the appropriate bull honkey. DD2 is actually pretty original. She makes nuanced connections, more than some of the older kids do, actually. But the others? Nuh-uh, that came in middle school.

It's just not developmentally appropriate.

I would agree with Texasmama.

I think many boys, but also girls, deal with this.

Give them more formulae. I know it feels like spoon-feeding but I think it is helpful for them. The words don't come easily to many.

We get to play more and that makes me feel like a: 

We get to run more and running makes me feel like:

Before I run, __________.

When I run, __________. (Give an example.)

After I run, __________.

I like to play _________.

When I play, I think about __________.

Etc.

The blank page is so scary for some of them.

We are onto our rough drafts now and I'm helping edit. But, I will probably use this with the next writing assignment. 

I guess my expectations were too high in regards to this. Thank you for the insight. I'll try to remedy some of the issues just through one-on-one editing. :) 

(I've had classes in the past who have fared much better on this writing assignment, but they were a higher group of kids, so I'm sure that's part of my issue.) 

• Like 2

The boys are doing fine with school today. I am just about fed up with myself. One page of rectangles to solve sides by the quadratic equation and I copy the problem down wrong TWICE. 

I think (hope) I just need more caffeine. But it's days like this that make me sympathetic when the boys have their own brain spasms. :laugh:

Here ya go, Critter:

coffee-machine.gif

• Like 3

It sounds pretty typical for the age, actually. Little dd is this age. Their thinking is linear and straightforward. It is a simple time for them. They are on the verge of abstract thinking but many or most are not there yet. I think it's developmental. It's one of my beefs with public school, the requirement that teachers assign writing that is not developmentally appropriate. And teachers seem to get little choice in the matter, even though it is ineffective. I would be frustrated, too.

Little dd is doing Writing Tales, which relies on the retelling of Aesop's fables, adding her own fun changes. She is a natural writer, but she would be lost with an opinion paper at this stage. That is more a middle school developmental task, IMO.

Even some of my 9th graders struggle to find their own opinions and write about them. I have done a lot of in-class modeling of how to brainstorm, take notes, and then craft a paragraph or essay. I don't want bs from them. I want them to find their own "voice" in writing. The curriculum I'm using is formulaic, which provides support for struggling writers.

I don't know how much leeway you have, but in a perfect world in your classroom, I would model in the board how to come up with opinions and points and turn them into sentences and organize them into a paragraph. I would do this a lot. Even my high school students need good models so I would hand out an example of a 4th grade-appropriate model for am opinion paragraph.

I will remember this next year. 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

We are back from homeschool day at the library. It was good. I'm glad we went. Kinda. I would've rather stayed home, but at least the children were socialized. Which is all we have gotten done.

So in trying to get caught up with ITT, I had 3 phones calls. I also had to return a call. I should have uninterrupted time when ITT ketchuping. :D

In other news, chocolate boosts brain power, according to a report on Good Morning America this morning. I would link it, but I'm too lazy.:)

• Like 6

We are back from homeschool day at the library. It was good. I'm glad we went. Kinda. I would've rather stayed home, but at least the children were socialized. Which is all we have gotten done.

So in trying to get caught up with ITT, I had 3 phones calls. I also had to return a call. I should have uninterrupted time when ITT ketchuping. :D

In other news, chocolate boosts brain power, according to a report on Good Morning America this morning. I would link it, but I'm too lazy. :)

Sounds like you need some chocolate.  :D

• Like 6

So, my other dd this morning (who was on prevacid solutabs for a year) audibly refluxed this morning and complained of the fire in her throat. :(

I think we're going to put everybody through a gluten free trial.  We are already mostly dairy free.  I've been delaying doing this for forever, but this afternoon I am meal planning.....

What are your budget friendly staples? 

• Like 1

I am not getting very far on this 150-200 word biography. I currently have 73 words and have been working on it all morning. Well, with the exception of taking care of Gymnast (who was being a brat), directing dd16 on what to do for chemistry, stopping at McD's for lunch, and picking up stuff from Walgreens. Other than, I've accomplished nothing. It must be a February thing. 

• Like 2

In other news, chocolate boosts brain power, according to a report on Good Morning America this morning. I would link it, but I'm too lazy. :)

Sounds like you need some chocolate.  :D

Ta da!

chocolate-box-smiley-emoticon.gif

The one complaint I had about the Whole Foods tour was a boy, maybe 10-12yo, who picked up EVERYTHING! If he was standing near it, he picked it up, stuck it ON his nose to smell it, and then shoved it onto other kids' noses to smell. Fruit, vegetables, herbs, ginger, soaps, cheese, etc., etc. And it wasn't enough to smell just one orange or one soap. He had to pick up every orange and soap within reach. His mom was standing right there watching, and getting a little annoyed that I was preventing my own kids from touching and smelling every single thing in front of them.

#getsomegloveswhydontyou

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

There was a huge debate over the grain v. seed thing for those on kosher diets. 

Technically, yes, it is the seed part of the plant one eats when one consumes wheat.  I take it you've never threshed your own wheat for supper?

No, we decided to grow sugar cane instead of wheat. We don't have enough room to grow enough wheat to make it worthwhile. Yes, we have apparently discussed this, lol! The living history museum has two working mills, so I do have wheat grains I slipped from one of those bins to my pockets.

• Like 2

Today I have:

1. Dealt with the cutting of timber on my and my mother's land. This is the beginning stages, and I expect she will change her mind, again. I say it is her and my land, but it is her decision, and I am expected to carry it out while making sure she doesn't get ripped off.

2. Dealt with the moving of a headstone at the cemetery of which apparently I am the decision maker. There is a board, and I am the treasurer. However, no one is doing their job.

3. Done the homeschool thing at the library, and dealt with children hyped up on sugar from the late Valentine's day party.

4. There is more, but can you believe it? Now they want food, and expect me to prepare it. And clean up too. The nerve.....:D

• Like 6

That's some awesome corn.

I know, right? And considering it was grown in a 5ish x 10 space along with tomatoes, chilies, squash, and other foods, it continues to amaze me.

And for those who think I'm stealing corn seed: The museum doesn't sell it. If they did, I'd buy it. As it is, it was either in a loose bin or an ear that had dropped to the ground. 

• Like 2

Bob's Red Mill gluten free 1:1 flour---good? I am thinking of making some sweet breads for the kids to go with their eggs and fresh fruit in the morning for breakfast.

I tend to mix my own from a variety of flours. I've got to say that I did adapt a banana bread recipe for GF that involved Teff flour that is pretty tasty. But I'm not just great shakes at baking GF yet. I've mastered a pie crust, can do a cake and I've got my banana bread. Not bad, but not great either.

• Like 1

I did a gluten free trial for myself a few years ago, and invested in a ton of GF cooking supplies. It was $150 to stock my pantry with the bare basics to make things.  I have almond flour, chia, and a few things that I've kept, but not all of the gums & specialty flours. I don't want to have to buy all the things unless it turns out that gluten is behind all of the reflux and rashes.  But I know I can't survive this without brownies and the occasional loaf of banana chocolate chip bread.  

• Like 2

I do love Bob's Red Mill brownie mix. I don't have a ton of specialty flours. I've got almond and Teff as my special flours. I keep a little corn flour too. My staple flour is a 1:1:1 mix of brown rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch. I mix it as I need it. I might add a little corn starch in there at times.

ETA: I keep xanthan gum too. Use it as I need it. 

Edited by Critterfixer