• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Krissi, a white crowned sparrow! I've never seen one of those. Cool!

I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Of course, it was on the back fence, I tried to find my field glasses, but couldn't. And then my five year old was pounding on the sliding glass door, which scared the bird off. But, I looked it up in my Cornell Ornithology Ap (which is the best, if you like birding and want an easy way to ID them, get this ap) and it seems to be a white crowned sparrow.
  • Like 3

I think my children are hiding from me.  :leaving:

7yo dd is making up her own school work to avoid what I have for her to do.  (She's pretending to teach her own class)

12yo dd (finally) finished math and is off doing work alone.

10ds has done some of his work alone; he's shooting basketball outside. 

• Like 1

Except you're a thousand times more disciplined than I am.

I have less responsibility making me appear more disciplined. Big difference. I used to have a friend that homeschooled her 3rd grader. She always asked me how my house was so clean. "Well, school takes 10 minutes and my kids nap for 2 hours every day. It's not hard." At least it wasn't at the time. It's proving more difficult with time.

• Like 3

Btw, everytime I see the title of the thread "Anyone else "just" homeschooling?" I want to punch something.  If only I could "just" homeschool, life would be so easy.  Let's add in:  laundry, cooking, cleaning up, taxi-service, parenting, spouse, whatever.  It's like I'm drowning and someone says "Oh, that's all?"   

• Like 7

Btw, everytime I see the title of the thread "Anyone else "just" homeschooling?" I want to punch something. If only I could "just" homeschool, life would be so easy. Let's add in: laundry, cooking, cleaning up, taxi-service, parenting, spouse, whatever. It's like I'm drowning and someone says "Oh, that's all?"

:iagree: completely

• Like 1

Btw, everytime I see the title of the thread "Anyone else "just" homeschooling?" I want to punch something.  If only I could "just" homeschool, life would be so easy.  Let's add in:  laundry, cooking, cleaning up, taxi-service, parenting, spouse, whatever.  It's like I'm drowning and someone says "Oh, that's all?"   

I find it insulting.

• Like 1

I don't know.  I need to go back and add a second response.  It sounds to me like the OP in that thread is still transitioning.  It can be hard when your identity totally changes and it can take some adjustment time.  I think she may still be viewing this as kind of a phase of life and not an entirely new direction.  I think sometimes it helps to be old. :wacko:

• Like 2

I don't know.  I need to go back and add a second response.  It sounds to me like the OP in that thread is still transitioning.  It can be hard when your identity totally changes and it can take some adjustment time.  I think she may still be viewing this as kind of a phase of life and not an entirely new direction.  I think sometimes it helps to be old. :wacko:

This.  I'm at a very different place now than I was at her age.

Oddly, now that I am not working a "real" job at all, I feel slightly like a slacker all the time, even though I am doing plenty.  I'm just used to doing more.  I am trying to enjoy being a slacker.  :D

• Like 5

You're not old.

• Like 1

This.  I'm at a very different place now than I was at her age.

Oddly, now that I am not working a "real" job at all, I feel slightly like a slacker all the time, even though I am doing plenty.  I'm just used to doing more.  I am trying to enjoy being a slacker.   :D

When my oldest was born and I became a SAHM for the first time, I felt like I had too much time on my hands.  I didn't know how to structure and schedule house work.  I still don't.  I always thought it would have helped to stay home and learn how to do housework before I had kids. 

Anyway, I get that she's at a different place, which is one reason I didn't reply.  Though I liked several replies that were made. 

• Like 1

When my oldest was born and I became a SAHM for the first time, I felt like I had too much time on my hands.  I didn't know how to structure and schedule house work.  I still don't. 

This is something people are just expected to know how to do, but most just don't. Some people are natural spellers, some people are natural home makers, but most can't spell and have messy homes. Read some books on the topic. You should learn how so that you can teach your children because nobody else is going to.

• Like 1

Well, this is where the "lazy" comes in.  If some method tells me to do something and I don't think it needs to be done yet, I don't do it.  Then when it needs to be done, it REALLY needs to be done and it becomes a major task, taking more time than it was supposed to.  (I know, I know, I'm full of excuses.  It's like when people post a question and then they have a reason why every.single.suggestion won't work.  So annoying!  :lol: )

• Like 3

Well, this is where the "lazy" comes in.  If some method tells me to do something and I don't think it needs to be done yet, I don't do it.  Then when it needs to be done, it REALLY needs to be done and it becomes a major task, taking more time than it was supposed to.  (I know, I know, I'm full of excuses.  It's like when people post a question and then they have a reason why every.single.suggestion won't work.  So annoying!  :lol: )

THEN DON'T COMPLAIN! I'm over looking at books for you on amazon and comparing prices and reading reviews and you're such a jerk and I'm so nice and the books all look so pretty....

• Like 3

When my oldest was born and I became a SAHM for the first time, I felt like I had too much time on my hands.  I didn't know how to structure and schedule house work.  I still don't.  I always thought it would have helped to stay home and learn how to do housework before I had kids. 

Anyway, I get that she's at a different place, which is one reason I didn't reply.  Though I liked several replies that were made. 

I remember being SO bored at home alone with a baby/toddler all day.  Then I became a single working mother who owned a home, and that was way hard.

:lol:

Me, too! That's why I didn't bite!

That lady was really gracious in responding to replies.  She is just young and struggling with identity, I think.

I would be a better housekeeper with fewer kids, more help, and less house.  As it is, I think I'm doing pretty well with the main living areas.

• Like 3

We have little brown ladybugs here by the thousands. They bite, and smell when they get smashed. I don't like them. They get into the house, and the only way to get rid of them is to vacuum them. It is worse on a warm day like today. I think the Government turned them loose to control the tick population, not sure about that though.

• Like 3

We have little brown ladybugs here by the thousands. They bite, and smell when they get smashed. I don't like them. They get into the house, and the only way to get rid of them is to vacuum them. It is worse on a warm day like today. I think the Government turned them loose to control the tick population, not sure about that though.

This is why I don't get out of bed. I don't have problems like this.

• Like 5

I have one of Don Aslett's books.  I remember he said something about working on a book about building a maintenance free house - that if a house were built properly it would need less maintenance and cleaning, etc.  I decided I should just wait for that book and build a new house, lol. 

This is brilliant.

• Like 2

I am still vacuuming ladybugs from the late fall invasion.

I hate ladybugs. :glare:

• Like 3

I don't know.  I need to go back and add a second response.  It sounds to me like the OP in that thread is still transitioning.  It can be hard when your identity totally changes and it can take some adjustment time.  I think she may still be viewing this as kind of a phase of life and not an entirely new direction.  I think sometimes it helps to be old.  :wacko:

:iagree: Or just to have been there, done that and got the boot in the backside. I did a stint in the dark corridors of depression that taught me a fair bit about what identity is and isn't. Not pleasant, and I swear I aged twenty years in there.

• Like 2

:iagree: Or just to have been there, done that and got the boot in the backside. I did a stint in the dark corridors of depression that taught me a fair bit about what identity is and isn't. Not pleasant, and I swear I aged twenty years in there.

I think that's a necessary side effect of the aging process.  For me, it was a series of personal tragedies (as in, a series that didn't freaking stop for YEARS). I agree, it's not pleasant.  It does, however, allow for growth that is not possible without suffering.  Which is good.  I guess. :unsure:

• Like 2

I ate two Reese's. Just sayin'. :leaving:

I've started my own version of Cap & Trade in this house. You pollute (leave candy wrappers laying around) you get taxed (1 piece of candy per child. No matter who the culprit, I don't want to start trying to figure out who did it). I'm getting rich!
  • Like 7

http://www.orkin.com/ask-the-orkin-man/orange-brown-bug/

ETA:

arcade_bug_red.gif

Booya.

• Like 3