Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am baking cake-mix cookies right now.  We shall see if they are any good.  I need an uber-easy cookie recipe for tomorrow night's Voyagers meeting.  Four 8 year-olds have a little over an hour to bake 7 dozen for a charity.  I could do a cut and bake variety, but I'm really hoping these are good so we can at least pretend we baked from scratch.  

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Of course, it was on the back fence, I tried to find my field glasses, but couldn't. And then my five year old was pounding on the sliding glass door, which scared the bird off. But, I looked it up in my Cornell Ornithology Ap (which is the best, if you like birding and want an easy way to ID them, get this ap) and it seems to be a white crowned sparrow.

Nice!

We saw at least a dozen turkey vultures across the street this morning. Big, ugly things.

• Like 2

Still feeling awful, Jean?

Hugs. 

My body is stuck in a loop since Sunday that hopefully will be reset tonight/tomorrow with prescription drugs.  I had to wait for a time when I could do it without having undue consequences if I have a bad reaction.  I don't know if this will work.  But it is what the neurologist wants me to do so here goes nothing. . . 

• Like 3

Honey, I'm home!

Just seemed right to say. I had tomato soup before the meeting. And just now ate some leftover noodles and sausage.

(You will be pleased and proud to hear that I didn't yell at anyone or even roll my eyes at the meeting.)

Dd6 nearly fainted in choir this morning. She said she got wobbly and then Mrs. V started to get all blurry and her tummy felt real bad. Poor thing. They brought her into my rehearsal and she laid down on the floor for a while. Seemed fine after that until right before bed when I saw her swaying a bit. She doesn't have a fever or headache. Maybe ears?

• Like 3

My body is stuck in a loop since Sunday that hopefully will be reset tonight/tomorrow with prescription drugs.  I had to wait for a time when I could do it without having undue consequences if I have a bad reaction.  I don't know if this will work.  But it is what the neurologist wants me to do so here goes nothing. . . 

I don't like a single thing about this EXCEPT the fact that you get to have your meds again tonight/tomorrow.

• Like 2

Cookies were....meh.  I don't know.  I'm not a big fan of vanilla cake flavor, and vanilla cake mix was all I had on hand.  Maybe I'd like chocolate better?  Texture was good, but sat a bit heavy in my tummy.  Really, it tasted very much like the cut and bake variety, except I had to go to the extra trouble of adding eggs and oil.  

Ideas, anyone?  I don't mind mixing dry ingredients in advance to speed things up, but I don't want to deal with cookie cutters or anything complicated, like lengthy ingredients' lists or 10 step instructions that can't be done in advance.  

Susan, she probably locked her knees in choir.

(((Hugs))) Jean

My guys were outmatched but they played with heart and both of my young men had gorgeous three point shots. Ds15 was the second highest scorer. So proud. And hoarse. And got to hold an adorable 18 month old girl and feed her a hamburger during the second half. Add her to my list of little girls to steal. :D

ETA: boys lost by 14 points in a high scoring game, but they are winners in my book.

My book too.  

• Like 2

My boss senses that I'm getting bitter and is being nice to me. She has always been kind, as in, a good person with discernment and compassion, but she is not a nicey-nice type. I went to a conference and people were flipping out. I do not want to grow up to be an administrator in academia. But I need to get out NOW to avoid it. Ugh.

Good Morning! 

I'm outta likes.

(((Jean)))  Hope today brings a big change for the better.

Way to go Tex's ds! (both)!

Ducklings, I don't give cooking/baking advice.  It would be hypocritical.  Good luck with it!

Susan, glad you (and dd!) survived the day!

Slache, mashed potatoes would SO stick to your ribs!  #comfortfood

((Renai))  Saturday is coming!!!!

• Like 6

Okay, I think I may do this one.  

Since everything has to be done in advance and then chilled for two hours, it puts all the effort on me and not enough effort for the girls, but it looks classy enough to present as a gift to others (unlike the store-bought slice and bakes I'm familiar with.)

I could maybe also/instead do a chill and roll variety, like snickerdoodles, leaving the rolling to the girls.  Hmmm.  Ingredients check.... :gnorsi:

• Like 3

Okay.  Snickerdoodles it is.  Possibly also with the slice-and-bakes, if I have time today to prep it all.  I'm not usually a last minute kind of person (well, not as last minute as this) but the whole cookie thing was a last minute request from the charity.   The kids and I have Bible school this morning, followed by a fast grocery run, and I have to have this stuff chilling by about 4pm to use tonight.  If nobody has a blow-out and the baby's nap cooperates and all are happy with chicken nuggets for lunch and pizza delivery for dinner and everyone is gracious about the major laundry backlog..... I think I can do this.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.  

• Like 5

Whining ahead:

The shed door is messed up (dh), so I couldn't put the dog up, so I didn't run.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the time change?  It's daylight and we don't start school for two more hours.  I hate it, but I don't have enough "what for" to make everyone start at 8:00. 

I don't know what we're eating for supper.

Wah!

• Like 3

Good morning all.

Quackers, are peanut butter cookies an option? This is the best recipe in existence. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/11352/three-ingredient-peanut-butter-cookies/?internalSource=recipe%20hub&referringId=852&referringContentType=recipe%20hub

(((Tsuga)))

Lynn, we're having sour cream chicken. Place chicken boobies in a Pyrex, mix equal parts sour cream and cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken), cover the chicken with the goop. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes depending on chicken booby thickness. Make mashatatoes or rice and something green. Lay chicken over rice/tatoes and cover in goop.

The lemonade is working for reasons I fail to truly understand.

• Like 6

These cookies are not soft, but *everybody* loves them.

Rice Krispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 stick butter

1 stick margarine

Soften

½ cup brown sugar

½ cup white sugar

1 ¼ cup flour

Tsp baking soda

Tsp baking powder

Tsp vanilla

Mix it

1 beaten egg

Mix it

2 cups oatmeal

2 cups rice crispies

½ bag chocolate chips

Mix it all

Bake @ 325 for 12 minutes

• Like 4

Good morning all.

Quackers, are peanut butter cookies an option? This is the best recipe in existence. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/11352/three-ingredient-peanut-butter-cookies/?internalSource=recipe%20hub&referringId=852&referringContentType=recipe%20hub

(((Tsuga)))

Lynn, we're having sour cream chicken. Place chicken boobies in a Pyrex, mix equal parts sour cream and cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken), cover the chicken with the goop. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes depending on chicken booby thickness. Make mashatatoes or rice and something green. Lay chicken over rice/tatoes and cover in goop.

The lemonade is working for reasons I fail to truly understand.

I used to make my chicken like that sometimes. But, cream of chicken has a lot of sodium, which is not good for blood pressure. Haven't made it in years. I make my own cream sauce though, with mushrooms. Like mushrooms. And oddly, even the youngest will eat them. (I have weird kids - that no one wants...)

• Like 2

Okay.  Snickerdoodles it is.  Possibly also with the slice-and-bakes, if I have time today to prep it all.  I'm not usually a last minute kind of person (well, not as last minute as this) but the whole cookie thing was a last minute request from the charity.   The kids and I have Bible school this morning, followed by a fast grocery run, and I have to have this stuff chilling by about 4pm to use tonight.  If nobody has a blow-out and the baby's nap cooperates and all are happy with chicken nuggets for lunch and pizza delivery for dinner and everyone is gracious about the major laundry backlog..... I think I can do this.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.  

There's a lot of 'ands' and 'ifs' for this to come together, Quackers. I'll pray for you.

• Like 4

Whining ahead:

Have I mentioned how much I hate the time change?  It's daylight and we don't start school for two more hours.  I hate it, but I don't have enough "what for" to make everyone start at 8:00. 

Wah!

Is there a reason you can't run with the dog?

Getting ready for work, huh?

AT work, sadly. :)

My wife sent me the grids for her benefits open enrollment period. I think she's more or less on board, if reluctantly, with me getting off the work treadmill and trying to do something better. We'll see. I feel like if I could have pulled it off while working full time and done the traditionally wise slow transition thing, I'd have done it by now. There's just not enough hours in the day, especially not with two kids but even if it were just us, this place sucks all the creative out of me.

Izzy told me this morning that she's collecting cardboard tubes and asked me for the empty toilet roll in the bathroom while I was getting ready for work. She says she's not sure what she's making yet, but the tubes are interesting and she's planning. I think that's fantastic. She's got an inspiration and she's not jumping the gun on it even though she's 6 and impulsive. She's gathering up her supplies with a maturing idea in her head of what she's gonna do with them. I'm super proud of her.

• Like 8

Good morning!

I woke up at 2:34 this morning. I eventually dozed off again until the alarm clock.

Slache, your recipes look great! I'm glad the lemonade is helping.

I don't think dd6's fainting came from locked knees, particularly since it happened again at home. (And the 5 & 6yo's are rarely still enough to get their knees locked, lol.) The doctor said last Friday that her ears were a bit pink, so maybe it's fluid. She says her ears feel fine but she has been congested for quite a while now.

We have eaten breakfast in the "dark" (we do have lots of windows) because dd9 says that the lights make her head pound. Will my family never get over this crap?

Have to get everyone settled into lessons and then take ds10 to the dentist. I am so tired of dentist and doctor appointments. It seems they are never ending. Throw in theater committee committments, and I never know when I am going to make it to the grocery store. I wish Aldi was open 24 hours.

• Like 5

I'm late with my good morning post, but good morning!

Thanks to good morning america and Tim McGraw, my Dd 6 just said the word dam$. His new song is apparently "Dam$ country music". I had to explain it was a bad word, and not a beaver dam.

I am supposed to be in two places at once today. Overwhelmed.

Good luck with the cookies, duckling.

• Like 4

Whining ahead:

Wah!

(Hanging head.)  I think the time change is my fault, Lynn.  It's really, really dark right now (and 23 degrees) and will be for about an hour, I think.  Here, the hour change means the difference between the public school kids standing by the side of the road in the dark waiting for the bus and standing by the road in some light.  I never really appreciated the end of Daylight Savings Time until the (very short!) time DD was a public school student.

• Like 2

I used to make my chicken like that sometimes. But, cream of chicken has a lot of sodium, which is not good for blood pressure. Haven't made it in years. I make my own cream sauce though, with mushrooms. Like mushrooms. And oddly, even the youngest will eat them. (I have weird kids - that no one wants...)

Oof.  I liked this, but then I had to unlike it.  Can anyone spot the error? :toetap05:

• Like 2

I'm late with my good morning post, but good morning!

Thanks to good morning america and Tim McGraw, my Dd 6 just said the word dam$. His new song is apparently "Dam$ country music". I had to explain it was a bad word, and not a beaver dam.

I am supposed to be in two places at once today. Overwhelmed.

Good luck with the cookies, duckling.

:cursing:

(Oh, well. Teaching moment, right?  Here was our older version the other day:  In car, discussing the lyrics of a song with DD [a good one.]  DD says, "I really like listening to music that has something to say.  Not like that HIGHLY misogynistic Trace Atkins guy dad likes to listen to. [i have no idea where the child gets her speech pattern from.]  So, long term benefit, right?  Now, if only men were trainable...)

• Like 2

Oof.  I liked this, but then I had to unlike it.  Can anyone spot the error? :toetap05:

Fine. You keep saying you want Gymnast. But, I'm telling you, she'll wear you out. Even oldest dd told me the other day she was getting worn out, and NOTHING wears her out! She was the one who wore out our hyperactive dog!

I warned you.

• Like 1

:grouphug: , Susan!

Go, Renai, Go!  Homestretch, bay-bee!

Lynn, it's not fair.  You should get SOME alone time during the day.  Better tell the hubsters that the ninja elephants are considering a road trip if he doesn't get that shed door fixed.  He'll understand.

Oh, and good morning, everyone!

(Did I mention it's cold here?  Brr.)

• Like 5

Fine. You keep saying you want Gymnast. But, I'm telling you, she'll wear you out. Even oldest dd told me the other day she was getting worn out, and NOTHING wears her out! She was the one who wore out our hyperactive dog!

I warned you.

:party:

This fits the theme:

(Side note: Favorite scene from one of Nana's favorite movies.  Take notes; there will be a test later.)

• Like 5