Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm trying to make a tentative schedule for getting school work done to see how to make time for everything.  :svengo:

My conclusion:  There's not enough time for everything. 

Points for quoting myself.

Seriously....

I usually work my way through each person one at a time and they do independent work until I get to them.  But I'm wondering if it would be more efficient for all of us to do math together at the same time (with me bouncing back and forth between each one), and then on to another subject, etc.  But then I think they would have difficulty working with so much talking going on at the same time (me helping a sibling).  By the way, I'm only referring to skill subjects like spelling, math, grammar, and I'm also only referring to the youngest 3 dc. 

• Like 3

I'm trying to make a tentative schedule for getting school work done to see how to make time for everything.  :svengo:

My conclusion:  There's not enough time for everything. 

There never was. But, you knew this already.

• Like 3

Points for quoting myself.

Seriously....

I usually work my way through each person one at a time and they do independent work until I get to them.  But I'm wondering if it would be more efficient for all of us to do math together at the same time (with me bouncing back and forth between each one), and then on to another subject, etc.  But then I think they would have difficulty working with so much talking going on at the same time (me helping a sibling).  By the way, I'm only referring to skill subjects like spelling, math, grammar, and I'm also only referring to the youngest 3 dc. 

Hmm, I don't know. I guess if you mean giving the lesson to one, have them start independent work (like math), and move down the line to the other math lessons. But, you still have the problem of what the other kids are doing while you're giving a lesson to another child. If you try it this way, I'd probably start with the oldest (that you do math with) since the maths are longer, and move down. But, don't listen to me because I only have two kids,11 years apart.

In the classroom, during math block we work with small groups at a time while the others are doing independent math work (usually centers), and switch groups, etc. Maybe it could work something like that. As the youngers are doing review work, you're giving a lesson to another child. As you move down the line, the first will be working on the independent stuff while you give a lesson to the second. The first and second are working on independent work while you give a lesson to third, and so one. So, it would all be done during "math block."

But, would it be more efficient that way?

• Like 1

Yeah, but what if there's not enough time for the essentials? 

.... and then I go back again and ask what can I cut?  what can I streamline?

Cycle it - some things don't get done everyday. Oldest's high school works that way. They have A-E days and six classes. First day are classes A-E, second day B-F, third C-A. Of course, you don't have to do it quite like that. Just know everything doesn't have to be done every day. But, you know that already too.

What are you using?

• Like 1

Renai,

Yes, those are the same kinds of things I've been pondering.

I think part of the problem is the time hog of a couple outside commitments.  And truthfully, I've contemplated additional outside commitments, but I'm not seeing room.  How did we make this last year?  Oh, year, I remember, a couple subjects got short-changed.   :sad: :leaving:   

Cycle it - some things don't get done everyday. Oldest's high school works that way. They have A-E days and six classes. First day are classes A-E, second day B-F, third C-A. Of course, you don't have to do it quite like that. Just know everything doesn't have to be done every day. But, you know that already too.

What are you using?

For 12yo, 7th grade dd:  SWO (she'll just need a few minutes of my time going over the new words/rules at the beginning of each week - not very long), Daily Grams (mostly independent), Math - this is her biggest struggle and I'd like to be available to her the entire time, especially in the beginning.  We used Saxon the last two years, but I was planning to start the year with Key to Fractions and then see where to go after that.  I'm thinking leaving math so much up in the air is part of the problem.  (Bible reading, History, Literature, and science are mostly independent.)

For 9yo, (almost 10yo) 4th grade ds:  He works very efficiently and will probably need me less than the other two.  He'll use SWO (he'll need very short initial instruction each week), Singapore for math (we'll spend 15/20 minutes or so together and then he'll finish the rest on his own), and I'm thinking about R&S English - maybe 20 minutes/day. (Bible reading, History, Literature, and science - mostly independent.) 

For 7yo, 2nd grade - by virtue of her age alone she needs me more - math (Singapore), reading (various), Language Arts (Language Lessons for Children - formerly Classical Writing Primer).  I'm planning to increase her independent work by getting her Veritas Press Self Paced history and have her listen to stories on CD from Jim Weiss.

Monday is "co-op" day (history, science and art for the oldest and Classical Conversations - Foundations for the younger two).  The girls will have sewing lessons on Wednesday afternoons and the oldest and I will meet with friends after sewing every other week for literature discussions.  (Sewing is  honestly not my first priority, but the girls love it and the young woman who teaches them is a wonderful, encouraging role model, etc.)

We have taken piano lessons in the past, but that means losing another entire afternoon (40 minute drive, an hour and a half for all three of them, and a 40 minute drive home.). 

So, more than you wanted to know, but staggering is sort of already happening just to accommodate being out of the house.

• Like 1

They were giving away kittens in the library! Books and kittens. Not in front of the library, but in cages inside the library, and they were playing and purring and looking so sweet.

I had to run away before I picked up a little fur-ball to keep me company while reading the mountain of books I was taking home. 

• Like 7

Texasmama, enrollment is up to 76. Are your boys in there?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something now.  Are you teaching online now, Renai?  I haven't gotten through pages 221-256 on this thread yet.  What did I miss now?

Dh took all the kidlets out for fun and for groceries.  

He called a while ago to let me know that Ds7 had left his shoes at home again and he himself had left his wallet at home again.

Guess it'll all be just fun this afternoon.  Barefooted.  While I slave away in the crawlspace and figure out how to eat tomorrow.   :glare:

(I really do love them both, btw.  But I pray for myself and I pray for ds's future wife.)

• Like 6

They were giving away kittens in the library! Books and kittens. Not in front of the library, but in cages inside the library, and they were playing and purring and looking so sweet.

I had to run away before I picked up a little fur-ball to keep me company while reading the mountain of books I was taking home. 

Interesting. What about the staff, volunteers and patrons with allergies?  

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something now.  Are you teaching online now, Renai?  I haven't gotten through pages 221-256 on this thread yet.  What did I miss now?

The Virtual Homeschool Group, which is free, offers many classes run by volunteers. I offered to do a Spanish conversation practice lab on Thursdays (after I get off of work). It's up to 86 now.  :svengo:

ETA: I mean 87. But, it is a drop-in, stay as long as you need class, so hopefully not everyone shows up all the time.

• Like 3

I want my dh to stop turning to me during episodes of murder shows and asking me to diagnose them.

Tell your DH he can watch TV with me and I'll diagnose them.  I have all my years of experience watching murder mysteries upon which to base my assertions.  I like to think I'm becoming quite the expert at diagnosing fictitious characters' made-up and overly-acted issues.

I'm sorry for the cavities and the resulting distress.  I'm relieved it wasn't worse.

I hope you had fun at Chick Fil A.  I bet DD's shirt was cute. 

Here in this thread we diagnose the need for hugs.  That's about it, though we also recognize awesomeness.  You've got that to spare.  See?  We are experts!

• Like 3

The Virtual Homeschool Group, which is free, offers many classes run by volunteers. I offered to do a Spanish conversation practice lab on Thursdays (after I get off of work). It's up to 86 now.  :svengo:

ETA: I mean 87. But, it is a drop-in, stay as long as you need class, so hopefully not everyone shows up all the time.

Wow, you're brave!  I'm sure they won't all be there all session every session, however.  Some likely won't show up at all, either.

Thanks for the reference!  I'll go check them out.  I have never heard of them.

• Like 1

Wow, you're brave!  I'm sure they won't all be there all session every session, however.  Some likely won't show up at all, either.

Thanks for the reference!  I'll go check them out.  I have never heard of them.

I committed to doing the class before it was a given I would be working. I decided to go through with it. My oldest dd did Biology with them last year, and it was high quality. If I bring her home, she'll be in the live Chemistry class.

Since you're not caught up yet, here's my post about older dd: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/545334-ignore-this-thread/page-258?do=findComment&comment=6498279

It's not too late to go back, is it?  

• Like 4

So I come home from having been gone all day, to find that Rocky has been in the garbage again and it is strewn across the dining room.  None of the 3 people who were home all day have done anything about it.  I just might have had a tantrum.  And I just might not feel bad about it.  Too bad the library closes early on Saturday. . . .

• Like 2

So I come home from having been gone all day, to find that Rocky has been in the garbage again and it is strewn across the dining room.  None of the 3 people who were home all day have done anything about it.  I just might have had a tantrum.  And I just might not feel bad about it.  Too bad the library closes early on Saturday. . . .

:grouphug:  Jean. I liked this because you were wishing for the library....so am I.

Wow, you're brave! I'm sure they won't all be there all session every session, however. Some likely won't show up at all, either.

Thanks for the reference! I'll go check them out. I have never heard of them.

Forgot to mention: VHSG has a 24 hour enrollment period for live classes that ends tomorrow at noon CST. There are also ayop - at your own pace - with open enrollment all year.

So I come home from having been gone all day, to find that Rocky has been in the garbage again and it is strewn across the dining room. None of the 3 people who were home all day have done anything about it. I just might have had a tantrum. And I just might not feel bad about it. Too bad the library closes early on Saturday. . . .

You made them clean it up, right?

• Like 3

Yeah, but what if there's not enough time for the essentials?

.... and then I go back again and ask what can I cut? what can I streamline?

I know how you feel - like a crazed pinball!

This past year our mornings were much improved and I am not exactly sure why, but something clicked and I felt we were getting things done. (This is with my 4 youngest who all need varying amounts of help/supervision.) This is how our days went (well, MWF at least - Tuesdays are music co-op and Thursdays are older dd's tutorial/grocery shopping in the morning and instrument practice and history/literature in the afternoon.)

8am

Science all together (really simple general science - either a reading from a Nature Reader or a lesson from Science in the Beginning)

8:30

Dd12 violin practice (45 min.)

Ds10 cello practice (45 min.)

Dd8 phonics (needs lots of reinforcement) and Explode the Code (independent)

Dd6 phonics (sits and listens to sister, then her own lesson) and Explode the Code

9:00

Dd8 & dd6 math

9:15

Dd12 & ds10 math (both need lots of checking)

Dd8 finish math, violin practice

Dd6 free time

9:45ish

Dd12 grammar/spelling/logic (work 'til lessons are completed)

Ds10 grammar/Latin (work 'til lessons are completed)

Dd8 & dd10 free time

After lunch, we have story time, then history/geography lesson together and then literature/independent reading. That is pretty much it. In the mornings I will often just sit at the table with them or nearby on the sofa and if they have a question they can bring their books to me. I will also go back and forth once in a while to help with instrument practice.

Dd17 has her own schedule and does pretty much everything independently, though she sometimes needs help organizing time and staying on task. Sigh.

• Like 1

Those evil librarians!

• Like 3

Those evil librarians! 

Not sure they had much say in whether there could be kittens in the library. They weren't running around, and you could easily get around them without getting catted, but I actually did wonder about folks with allergies. All the same, they were very cute and cuddly looking little beasts.  :001_smile:

No kittens for me. I've got old cats; two of them would probably have heart attacks, and one would probably wet on everything I own if I were to bring a spring-tailed kitten home. 

• Like 4

Oh wow! We would have been in big trouble if that had been our library. My oldest dd is crazy about kittens these days.

• Like 3

For 12yo, 7th grade dd:  SWO (she'll just need a few minutes of my time going over the new words/rules at the beginning of each week - not very long), Daily Grams (mostly independent), Math - this is her biggest struggle and I'd like to be available to her the entire time, especially in the beginning.  We used Saxon the last two years, but I was planning to start the year with Key to Fractions and then see where to go after that.  I'm thinking leaving math so much up in the air is part of the problem.  (Bible reading, History, Literature, and science are mostly independent.)

For 9yo, (almost 10yo) 4th grade ds:  He works very efficiently and will probably need me less than the other two.  He'll use SWO (he'll need very short initial instruction each week), Singapore for math (we'll spend 15/20 minutes or so together and then he'll finish the rest on his own), and I'm thinking about R&S English - maybe 20 minutes/day. (Bible reading, History, Literature, and science - mostly independent.) 

For 7yo, 2nd grade - by virtue of her age alone she needs me more - math (Singapore), reading (various), Language Arts (Language Lessons for Children - formerly Classical Writing Primer).  I'm planning to increase her independent work by getting her Veritas Press Self Paced history and have her listen to stories on CD from Jim Weiss.

Monday is "co-op" day (history, science and art for the oldest and Classical Conversations - Foundations for the younger two).  The girls will have sewing lessons on Wednesday afternoons and the oldest and I will meet with friends after sewing every other week for literature discussions.  (Sewing is  honestly not my first priority, but the girls love it and the young woman who teaches them is a wonderful, encouraging role model, etc.)

We have taken piano lessons in the past, but that means losing another entire afternoon (40 minute drive, an hour and a half for all three of them, and a 40 minute drive home.). 

So, more than you wanted to know, but staggering is sort of already happening just to accommodate being out of the house.

If I could multi-quote, I would have quoted Susan's post too... Her routine sounds great.  

Of course, my kids are much younger than yours, so my little trick below may be of absolutely no help to you whatsoever in your current chapter of the homeschooling experience.  Feel free to politely smile and nod, then IGNORE the rest of this post.  I will not be offended.   :laugh:

The one single thing that has worked wonders for me in the past year has been completing all the individualized, critical (skills-related, in my case) work before breakfast.   ( I had a few months where baby's sleep schedule didn't allow it, and I hated it.  We accomplished far less and I felt behind all the time.)  

But when it does happen, here's how it works. Dd4 and Dd 6 are early risers, so by 6:30 they are up anyway.  They take turns completing phonics, reading, and math with me (while the other does independent work --- usually math games --- at the other table.)  Then, by about 7:45, they are done and sleepyhead ds7 is up and slightly less comatose, so he can spend about 1 hour with me completing Barton, reading, and math.  Breakfast is usually around 9.

The things that really allow this work are:

• Me being up consistently early, before everyone else.  I need my shower and coffee before I can tackle the rest.   I also usually prep breakfast before everyone's awake, so that when 9 rolls around, we can eat right away. 
  • Having tea and dried fruit ready for the kids.  It's easy to prep and tides them over until breakfast, plus they get to bring their tea and fruit to their meeting with me, which makes the work more fun.  

The benefits for us are well-worth it.  For some reason, things always seem to fall apart for a while after breakfast, no matter when we eat it.  Chores need to be done, the table needs to be cleaned, the baby needs to be changed... I lose a lot of time just trying to regain our focus.  But if we work first, then after breakfast we can take a break, and the kids are motivated to do chores so they can play (and burn off the extra energy created by breakfast).  Even I get to relax a bit too.  Later in the morning, depending on the day, we have our morning meeting (Foundations work and other memory work), and a group spelling/grammar class.  Content subjects are afternoon, whenever our day allows.

The other big (BIG) benefit is that the important daily stuff is done before intrusions (like dentist appointments, co-op meetings, Bible study, etc) are able to hijack the day.  As they get older I'm sure things will change, though I can imagine continuing the routine with whatever subject(s) require my direct one-on-one daily instruction (writing or algebra, for example).  

• Like 3

Forgot to mention: VHSG has a 24 hour enrollment period for live classes that ends tomorrow at noon CST. There are also ayop - at your own pace - with open enrollment all year.

Thank you for this.  I peeked at it last night, and I will admit things are a little confusing what with .com and .org.  I get it -- .org is the new site for the upcoming and time-forward classes, while .com is the current site for the classes going on now, and there are still growing pains and construction partially completed at .org, so the confusion is understandable. 

I will look into them some more for AYOP classes.  These will likely work better for us at the present time.  However, as the kids mature I think they might enjoy participating in some live classes, too.  By that time I expect the .org site will be fully armed and operational.

Speaking of kitties... we have a white teenage kitty with a brown tabby tail, who is now starting to develop brown spots on her sides. They are quite faint, but they are there. Anyone else have this experience? Or do we just have a weird cat?

The colors exhibited in cats' fur can change over time -- this is true of quite a lot of mammals.  It's not unusual or abnormal, it's just different.

• Like 1

OOOOH, do you have a rash?  I really like rashes.

I get really energized with medical stuff.  I am a frustrated doctor wanna be.  Medical stuff clicks in my brain, and I remember it forever.  The same friend texted me saying her foot had a problem, and I dx plantar fasciitis and told her what to do to cure it.  She mostly just comes to me for medical care.  

On July 4th, a visiting 15 year old boy fell backwards and hit his head on the concrete, and he was bleeding.  I sprung into action, gloved up, gave him a thorough exam, washed it out in the sink and put antibiotic ointment on it.  I have all sorts of medical equipment.  It's fun to be me.

Do you think it is too late for me to become a physician's assistant or something???

Would anyone volunteer to let me start an IV?  Never done it.  Need to practice.

I am THAT parent where the kids' old schools are concerned.  I'm the one that inspected the first aid kits before the day of the first field trip I chaperoned and then brought one of her own (bigger and better, with fresher supplies).  I'm also the one who carried hers all around the venue instead of leaving it in the car, so I am the one that doctored the ant bites and scrapes that occurred.  I then ordered in new first aid kit supplies and changed out the old and expired contents of the school first aid kits before the next field trip.  I have first aid stuff upstairs and downstairs, and kits ready to go in the car.  I have a mini kit in my purse (bandaids and Bacitracin packets), and we have small "backpacking" first aid kits DH and I carry on board when we all go paddling.

I am also the parent who was quizzing the school staff on tornado and fire procedures BEFORE the dates of their drills to see if they actually knew what to do.  I was one of the parents who jumped out of her car in carline to address safety issues when one parent unthinkingly decided to surprise his kid by flying a helicopter onto the school's open field for his "carline pickup" (kids were present and some were headed to the field to play).  I insisted on being a "runner" at Field Day after I realized that volunteers manning the booths weren't getting breaks for shade, water, or restrooms.

After I treated our household for lice I went over to SIL's to inspect and treat everyone in her household.  Hey, I had the routine down pat by then, and she had a lot of kids.  I did heads while she did bedding and cleaning.

I performed the Heimlich Maneuver on my mother in a mall food court when I was 9 months pregnant and in early labor. 

I have CPR (adult and infant) training, fire warden training, and First Aid/AED training (though all are probably out of date by now).  I used RAD training to intimidate a vicious stray dog into backing off long enough to get my kids inside.

I do not want to be a medical professional.  I do not look at metal in flesh (such as needles for blood draws, wire monitors, etc.) because I start to black out.  I handle blood just fine, but stuff being where it shouldn't has a bad effect on me.

We are mothers.  We are the first line of defense for our kids against the hazards of the world.  Doctors secretly envy and admire US.  We have the broadest on-the-job training in the world, and we prove the lie in the "boring housewife" stereotype.

We rock.  And you would make a wonderful physician's assistant.  Or Paramedic, a la Emergency.  Remember that old show?  It was my favorite back when I was a kid.  You would fit right in with Roy and Johnny.

ETA:  Booyah!

• Like 9