Menu

Ignore this thread!

I just finished reading the whole 30 and I'm STARVING! So much good food in there.

Yeah, but many of the recipes that interest me the most have prerequisites, other recipes that have to be made BEFORE I can make the dish I want.

I am spending quite a lot of time in the kitchen just trying to make myself stuff to eat.  It seems like as soon as I'm done eating one meal I have to start the next meal, or just eat salad again.  This is why I'm eating too many macadamia nuts -- they are quick, and I can cook and eat at the same time.

Yeah, but many of the recipes that interest me the most have prerequisites, other recipes that have to be made BEFORE I can make the dish I want.

I am spending quite a lot of time in the kitchen just trying to make myself stuff to eat.  It seems like as soon as I'm done eating one meal I have to start the next meal, or just eat salad again.  This is why I'm eating too many macadamia nuts -- they are quick, and I can cook and eat at the same time.

My odd father gave me five pounds of macadamia nuts that he bought and did not want, so I froze them and am slowly making my way through them.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

Holy.Cow. I killed our lovely ITT.

:'(

Whyever would you get that idea?  Go back and read through the thread again.  You will see there were longer periods of downtime in the past.

I know there's a competition on thread kills, but you are not bagging this baby.  SWB herself will have to shut us down, and we're in good with her.  She likes us.

• Like 3

I stream is larger than a book. Both babble.

Thankfully my own kids outgrew the babbling books a while back.  They were too annoying, especially when they would malfunction and never shut up.

• Like 2

My odd father gave me five pounds of macadamia nuts that he bought and did not want, so I froze them and am slowly making my way through them.

I did all 30 of my CEU's today online.  And they were free with a one month free trial.  My brain is tired, though.

Good for you on your CEU's and going slow with the nuts!  I have now eaten the last macadamia in the house and am going to try like the dickens not to buy any more.

Today is day 9 for me on Whole30, and my clothes aren't fitting any looser yet.  I think the macadamia pig-outs might have something to do with that.

• Like 1

I don't remember how to play Farkle.

I did my glute exercises and my hip flexor stretches. That stuff helps. And that massage lady helped. My hips feel so much less painful. Evidently it's all in the glutes. I don't even mind the exercises.

Now I have to google this.  I wanna see what you are doing to exercise your butt.

• Like 1

Landscapers hired teens to do the mulching (don't even get me started on why they wait until August to mulch...) and now I am missing a hosta *poof* gone pulled out not there and 3 of my expensive plants were buried/damaged and I had to rescue them when I got home.  I hope they survive.

I'm so mad I could spit.

And DS is having a bad week with an allergen that is causing him to have a sore throat.  So it hurts to swallow and every meal takes two hours.  That's not an exaggeration. 

I'm mad about my plants and I MAY have taken it out on him a teensy bit.  Overcooked rice in chicken broth is your dinner, dude.  I'm not expending energy to make a gourmet meal for you to complain it hurts to eat.

Hey, I'm Bob! My after school care kids call me Bob, it's been my nickname for 4 years lol even the parents call me Bob or Ms Bob.

My younger SIL was nicknamed Bob by the family when she and BIL were dating in high school.  No one could remember her name for quite a while, so we called her Bob.

• Like 2

I was an oldest child.   My theory is that the only good birth order is the baby.  Everyone else pays in one way or another.  

Raising a cup of coffee to all the Little Ducks out there. :cheers2:

I don't know the little duck being referred to in this conversation, so I googled "little duck".  Top of the list was a Thai restaurant....

• Like 1

Landscapers hired teens to do the mulching (don't even get me started on why they wait until August to mulch...) and now I am missing a hosta *poof* gone pulled out not there and 3 of my expensive plants were buried/damaged and I had to rescue them when I got home.  I hope they survive.

I'm so mad I could spit.

And DS is having a bad week with an allergen that is causing him to have a sore throat.  So it hurts to swallow and every meal takes two hours.  That's not an exaggeration. 

I'm mad about my plants and I MAY have taken it out on him a teensy bit.  Overcooked rice in chicken broth is your dinner, dude.  I'm not expending energy to make a gourmet meal for you to complain it hurts to eat.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:   For you both.

• Like 1

I would love to.  There's this thing called a job, however...

Okay, the kids and I will come up where you are (wherever that is).  It's gotta be cooler than here!

• Like 1

I'm so mad I could spit.

:grouphug:

Sorry about your plants!  That's pitiful!

Hope your ds is feeling better today!

• Like 2

Not too snarky if the conversation is deteriorating.

Part of the problem with simply accommodating any old thing all of the time is it breeds a belief of entitlement.  People come to believe that their schedules are more important than the group's schedule, which typically leads to a belief that their participants are more important than the other participants.  Such people typically become very demanding (often without actually realizing they are), ensuring that the entire group's dynamic revolves around them.

A music group of any sort is HIGHLY dependent upon the dedication and cooperation of the entire group.  When one person fails to show it negatively impacts the entire group -- even right at the very start.  "But we haven't really done anything yet."  No, and we can't when people fail to show.  The participants MUST make the group a very strong priority, or they should not be part of the group.

Your program director isn't responsible for your group -- you are.  YOU must be able to make whatever call you deem necessary and have the full backing of the program director.  For the director to undermine you by making accommodations for frivolous excuses is inexcusable.  You cannot do your job if your authority carries no weight, if no one has any respect for you.  You cannot pull the group together as a cohesive unit if members don't show, and especially not if they won't listen to you because they can get the director to countermand anything you say.

When you speak to your director make these points if he/she tells you that you should just accommodate this individual.  Point out that the reason given was insufficient, and that making such accommodation will require more of your already over-scheduled time for no remuneration.

And yes, tell him/her that you were there on your daughter's birthday, because that was the commitment you had made.  These people knew in advance that the auditions were that day.  They could have called ahead to ask if another date might be possible, and they did not do so.  They didn't even call the day of.  They simply assumed that they could call afterwards, skip the scheduled audition, and people would bend over backwards to hear them when they were ready.

This apparently hits a sore spot with me.  I am indignant on your behalf.  Let us know if you need the Elephant Ninjas to help this director see the light.

I love this post!!!  I especially appreciate the parts about the entire group needing to be committed right from the start, and that the program director should be backing you completely. 

Even if this family is accommodated (and if they do so, they should be paying for your time, gas, etc.), it then opens the door to the idea that rules can be bent if you are willing to pay enough. 

Better to lose this family (or have them come back next year with a real respect for others' time) than start making unwarrented accomodations, IMO.

However this goes, I hope that the group is solid and you have a wonderful year!!

• Like 2

Ugh - had hotel pool dreams last night. Do you have dream themes? One of mine involves hotel pools. In last night's episode, my family and parents went swimming in a huge resort pool even though the pool was closed and our clothes somehow disappeared and we had to walk through the resort/hotel naked. We did manage to steal a couple of towels as we walked through.

I also have tornado dreams. Essentially, a tornado is coming and I warn everyone and/or find them a safe place to hunker down. Once we were driving around St. Louis (in my dream) and saw a triple tornado storm on the other side of the city. It was pretty cool.

• Like 4

Wow. You have a long way to go.

Yeah.  The trick is reading more pages each day than this thread gains in a day.  It gets tricky sometimes.

But I WILL read them all.

• Like 2

I didn't quite catch up with reading all the posts, but felt the need to jump in and say that learning to "touch type" on an IBM electric typewriter in a high school course was a techological step up for me. My parents had a non-electric typewriter which really required finger power and precision so that you didn't hit 2 (or more) keys at once and have them jam. I never got very fast, and I hated going back to correct mistakes. I'm feeling old now. ;)

Typing is a handy skill to have, but I'm noticing how my dh and dc learn to type relatively fast and accurately by simply typing stuff they need to and want to. The only times I've really NEEDED to be able to type quickly without looking at my hands was with transcribing interviews in grad school. That was an awful job!!! 

• Like 2

I love this post!!!  I especially appreciate the parts about the entire group needing to be committed right from the start, and that the program director should be backing you completely. 

Even if this family is accommodated (and if they do so, they should be paying for your time, gas, etc.), it then opens the door to the idea that rules can be bent if you are willing to pay enough. 

Better to lose this family (or have them come back next year with a real respect for others' time) than start making unwarrented accomodations, IMO.

However this goes, I hope that the group is solid and you have a wonderful year!!

I put in the "no remuneration" part because

1.   I thought I recalled her saying this was unpaid, volunteer work on her part, and
  2.   Even if it is paid work I doubt she's paid by the hour.  Any extra time on the job is time without extra pay.

ETA:  I share your same hopes here!

I didn't quite catch up with reading all the posts, but felt the need to jump in and say that learning to "touch type" on an IBM electric typewriter in a high school course was a techological step up for me. My parents had a non-electric typewriter which really required finger power and precision so that you didn't hit 2 (or more) keys at once and have them jam. I never got very fast, and I hated going back to correct mistakes. I'm feeling old now. ;)

Typing is a handy skill to have, but I'm noticing how my dh and dc learn to type relatively fast and accurately by simply typing stuff they need to and want to. The only times I've really NEEDED to be able to type quickly without looking at my hands was with transcribing interviews in grad school. That was an awful job!!! 

DH hunts and pecks with most of his 10 fingers most of the time.  When he really gets a thought flowing he types faster.  I think he had a class in high school.

DD14 does one or two finger typing, even though she's had some lessons.  I'm not worried about speed because that will come in time -- I'm worried about proper ergonomics for the prevention of RSIs.  I have suffered from tendonitis -- at one point unable to brush my hair or hold a forkful of food -- and I know full well that once it sets in it recurs so much more easily.  I'm insisting on proper posture and hand position while typing because the only way to set these habits is right at the start.  DD14, of course, is in her resist-everything phase.

She is going to have to write a lot more stuff this coming school year (both kids will), and she has dysgraphia (an eye-input/hand-output issue that is most noticeable through the atrocious handwriting it results in).  There will likely be lots of complaining, but hopefully by next summer she will actually see the need for typing.

This is going to be a painful but interesting year.

I put in the "no remuneration" part because

1.   I thought I recalled her saying this was unpaid, volunteer work on her part, and
  2.   Even if it is paid work I doubt she's paid by the hour.  Any extra time on the job is time without extra pay.

ETA:  I share your same hopes here!

I don't think it should matter whether it's a volunteer position or hourly rate. It's respecting and valuing other's time and efforts.

My dc's violin ensemble coordinator is a volunteer position, being filled by an orthopedic surgeon who loves music. There is no audition for the group, but there is a very clear and firm rule that parents will respond to all e-mails, and bring children to practices and events on time or let her know beforehand. This ensemble is kept very small (14 max) and it is by far the most well-run group I've been involved with. 

• Like 1

I don't think it should matter whether it's a volunteer position or hourly rate. It's respecting and valuing other's time and efforts.

My dc's violin ensemble coordinator is a volunteer position, being filled by an orthopedic surgeon who loves music. There is no audition for the group, but there is a very clear and firm rule that parents will respond to all e-mails, and bring children to practices and events on time or let her know beforehand. This ensemble is kept very small (14 max) and it is by far the most well-run group I've been involved with. 

Oh, absolutely!  But some people just don't get the idea about respecting others' time unless there's a monetary element involved.  People who just assume that someone doing a job (whether paid or volunteer) will be willing to put in extra hours at the drop of a hat are typically people who would think twice about making such a demand if they had to actually pay for the extra time.  Reminding them that what they are demanding is not only unreasonable, but UNPAID, usually strikes home.

Today's "clean the kitchen" music:

Nice!

What Mama here wants is bread, or crunchy starchy stuff, or chocolate ganache ice cream (and I was at the store that carries that last today, too).  Day 10 of Whole30 is really stinkin' now.  I'd better roast me some more potatoes before I take youngest to Aikido, or I just might get us banned by reacting poorly to Special Snowflake Boy.

ETA:  Booyah.  I kinda feel like I don't deserve it, complaining like that.

• Like 4

You always deserve a booyah, AMJ.  Here. . . have a roasted vegetable stick (since I don't know what is allowed on your diet!)

Thank you.  Think Paleo, since Whole30 is based on that.

Think chocolate deprivation for a solid month.  When I start to reintroduce I will add in sugar and dairy pretty quickly so I can have chocolate ganache ice cream for my birthday, which falls shortly after I finish Whole30.

I'm a third of the way through and I am not seeing any of the expected loss of inches yet.  I cut out the macadamia nuts, so I hope inches start disappearing soon.  I gotta keep going, no matter what, to try to beat these cravings into submission.  I need a sign that it's working, though.

And thank you for the booyah, too.

• Like 2