Menu

Ignore this thread!

So, tomorrow I had planned to go to the post office to mail some things I've been putting off since I got back from vacation. But Mr. Ellie is having trouble with his truck, so he has to drive my van to work. I have to be home. Alone. All day. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do some other stuff I've been procrastinating about. :cursing:

• Like 8

One of the things I've been procrastinating about is calling the Catholic school division of the Austin Diocese. There has been an effort to connect with the Catholic homeschoolers. Of course, I'm sure their primary outreach is trying to figure out how to get those children into the Catholic schools :001_rolleyes: but I had an idea I wanted to pitch to them. I'm not giving anything away; after I call, I'll report back to you. :D

• Like 7

Good Morning!  I went to bed early last night, early even for me.  I don't know why I was SO tired! 

Renai, Glad you got your shopping done!

Quackers - we missed you.  Glad you're back.

Ellie - sorry you're on home confinement today.  Hope you get a lot accomplished. 

Susan - congrats on your improving dance skill.  I'm so impressed!

My first car was a 1976 Caprice Classic.  Awesome!

• Like 5

I'm back from dance lesson. Tonight we learned the foxtrot and tango (I feel like I am speaking in code). That makes 5 dances all together with the waltz, rumba, and push-pull swing. On Friday night we are going to the group lesson where we get to learn fun turns and stuff and then have a "practice party." I am having fun despite my awkwardness. And our teacher is really good.

I think I need some dancing shoes.

Yeeeeeeee Haw!

Its a booya for me!

(Come on now, sing it with me! You know you want to!)

This is the thread that never ends!

It just goes on and on my friends!

People started posting not knowing what it was!

And they'll continue posting forever just because...

You'd best come join it with your friends!

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze!

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days!

This is the thread that's always there!

They'll cheer you up so don't despair!

The group is growing well as more people start checking in!

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive!

This is the thread that never ends...

Great song and awesome dancing!

I didn't realize how close I was to a Booya, but I'm glad you did it and shared your lyrics!!

• Like 2

My food-loving lab just showed us how far his tongue can reach out and slurp ds's cereal.  :ohmy:

This lab is supposed to be on a diet, but is managing to smuggle food in creative ways. I also just discovered that my 1/2 cup measuring scoop is quite a bit bigger than the new one I just bought. The difference is enough to explain why the lab hasn't been losing weight.  :cursing:

• Like 5

I'm back from dance lesson. Tonight we learned the foxtrot and tango (I feel like I am speaking in code). That makes 5 dances all together with the waltz, rumba, and push-pull swing. ...

Oh that sounds like fun! I grew up Mennonite and to us, dancing was a sin. Yes, it was. I went to a Mennonite high school and we had "banquets" not proms or dances. This is why the movie "Footloose" became our favorite movie. We could totally relate to those kids. Of course Kevin Bacon never showed up and taught us how to dance.

BTW, I don't think dancing is a sin. Neither does DH, though he grew up in the same environment I did. I'd love to take dancing classes, but DH never would. I had to drag him onto the dance floor for one dance at a close friends' wedding 12 years ago and that is the only time we'd ever danced together.

• Like 1

I'm back from dance lesson. Tonight we learned the foxtrot and tango (I feel like I am speaking in code). That makes 5 dances all together with the waltz, rumba, and push-pull swing. On Friday night we are going to the group lesson where we get to learn fun turns and stuff and then have a "practice party." I am having fun despite my awkwardness. And our teacher is really good.

I think I need some dancing shoes.

Yeeeeeeee Haw!

Its a booya for me!

(Come on now, sing it with me! You know you want to!)

It just goes on and on my friends!

People started posting not knowing what it was!

And they'll continue posting forever just because...

You'd best come join it with your friends!

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze!

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days!

This is the thread that's always there!

They'll cheer you up so don't despair!

The group is growing well as more people start checking in!

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive!

This is the thread that never ends...

I'm thinking about signing up for ballroom dance lessons.  I think it would be so much fun.  But my husband won't humor me and do it with me.  I keep having dreams that I meet some fun guy to dance with while my grumpy husband is sitting in the corner.  Which is awkward, and makes me hesitant to sign up, but in all reality there are probably only seniors that would be there anyway.  I go to country line dancing class alone and I'm the only one there under 60.  :) Do you go solo?

• Like 3

Oh that sounds like fun! I grew up Mennonite and to us, dancing was a sin. Yes, it was. I went to a Mennonite high school and we had "banquets" not proms or dances. This is why the movie "Footloose" became our favorite movie. We could totally relate to those kids. Of course Kevin Bacon never showed up and taught us how to dance.

BTW, I don't think dancing is a sin. Neither does DH, though he grew up in the same environment I did. I'd love to take dancing classes, but DH never would. I had to drag him onto the dance floor for one dance at a close friends' wedding 12 years ago and that is the only time we'd ever danced together.

Baptists and Mennonites are not the only denomination that believe dancing is a sin. I belonged to a strict Pentecostal church that believed it also. Women had to wear skirts/dresses that fell below the knee (I was once told my witness to a friend didn't count because I was wearing pants), and there were a few other rules I can't remember. But, boy, did those women love their hats! And hair! Sunday was all out fashion.

Interestingly, I had a friend who was in an even stricter denomination than I was. I didn't believe it was possible! Besides the dancing and skirts, they didn't wear makeup (including clear fingernail polish), couldn't do their hair up, had to buy clothes at the thrift store, etc. I don't know why buying in other than a thrift store was a problem. That one was weird to me. (which is to say, although I don't believe in all those other rules, I don't think they are weird - just really strict and legalistic.)

• Like 1

I grew up Baptist, and dancing was a sin.  But my parents grew up Methodist so I danced all I wanted.

Mr. Ellie grew up in a Southern Baptist home, and there was definitely dancing. Were you Southern Baptist? I wonder if that restriction is regional.

• Like 2

Footloose was just on the other night. I think it is a crying shame they did a remake of that movie. There are some movies that should just be left in all of their original glory. That is one of them:-)

I am sorry Kevin never came through for you;-)

I think it must be hard as a guy to try to learn to dance later in life. I know my dancing skills are not what they used to be. And I actually had some to start with lol. You won't find me cutting a rug much anymore without the help of alcohol. There is a reason they call it "liquid courage." :snicker:

• Like 3

I grew up Baptist, and dancing was a sin. But my parents grew up Methodist so I danced all I wanted.

My senior year of high school, I drove a '65 Mustang. I was the coolest person I knew. Three speed. Best.car.ever. Totaled it in April of my freshman year of college.

Mine was a '77 Grand Prix... And i think every guy at my high school wanted to be me, lol. So sad though. We had angled parking at school and one of my friends ran in crying. She had backed out and forgot to straighten out and smashed right into it. It was totaled. I was so :crying:

• Like 1

I always wondered why dancing was considered a sin in some Christian religions when David did it in worship to God. One of those mysteries, and please don't let this become a religious debate. I'm sure there are all kinds of support somewhere. ;)

Oh, in a Pentecostal church, there is plenty of dancing. It's called "shouting." It's not club dancing though, that's for sure! lol! You should check out a youtube video for that one...

• Like 2

please don't let this become a religious debate. ;)

I don't think you have to worry about that at ITT. I think it is in our bylaws that this is a safe haven from debate of any kind. Strictly happy thoughts, hula dancing, and love for one another:-)

Have I represented us accurately, everyone?

• Like 7

So, I have a few questions, and I feel the wisdom of ITT will provide the answers I am seeking....

1. I need something fun for math. We use rod and staff, and I am very happy with it. However I would like something to use just one or twice a week for fun.  I have looked at rightstart games and abascus, and it looks interesting. But is it what I want?

2. What removes duct tape residue? It is on a metal sheet.

3. What is the best, easiest and least expensive way to prove progress? I live in a state with few regulations, but I want to be able to show progress for my own satisfaction. Does that even make sense? Or am I being ridiculous? You all are my friends (my only friends) so you can tell me I am worrying about nothing and I won't be offended.:D

Answer one or two or three if you want to or have time, I will appreciate any and all answers. However, I really need to get rid of the duct tape residue.:)

• Like 1

I always wondered why dancing was considered a sin in some Christian religions when David did it in worship to God. One of those mysteries, and please don't let this become a religious debate. I'm sure there are all kinds of support somewhere. ;)

To sum it up, dancing leads to romantic feelings/hormonal urges which leads to sex. Inevitable, really. ;)

Of course when I was growing up, strict ballroom waltzing or ballet or the Virginia Reel/square dancing would have been acceptable, but those weren't a part of my environment.

• Like 2

So, I have a few questions, and I feel the wisdom of ITT will provide the answers I am seeking....

1. I need something fun for math. We use rod and staff, and I am very happy with it. However I would like something to use just one or twice a week for fun.  I have looked at rightstart games and abascus, and it looks interesting. But is it what I want?

3. What is the best, easiest and least expensive way to prove progress? I live in a state with few regulations, but I want to be able to show progress for my own satisfaction. Does that even make sense? Or am I being ridiculous? You all are my friends (my only friends) so you can tell me I am worrying about nothing and I won't be offended. :D

Answer one or two or three if you want to or have time, I will appreciate any and all answers. However, I really need to get rid of the duct tape residue. :)

1. Maybe Life of Fred?  I'm using it twice a week and CLE 3xs a week.

2.?

3. The Dora and Adam assessments are painless and even fun for kids, and it give a really great breakdown of where you child is at in reading and math.  https://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/assessments/

• Like 3

We had angled parking at school and one of my friends ran in crying.

And this is a sentence that would never get past me if one of my kids had written it. Lol. Shhh, don't tell them;-) They are still in awe of my writing skills, and I would hate to have that innocent faith destroyed for them this early in life. :leaving:

• Like 2

I'm thinking about signing up for ballroom dance lessons. I think it would be so much fun. But my husband won't humor me and do it with me. I keep having dreams that I meet some fun guy to dance with while my grumpy husband is sitting in the corner. Which is awkward, and makes me hesitant to sign up, but in all reality there are probably only seniors that would be there anyway. I go to country line dancing class alone and I'm the only one there under 60. :) Do you go solo?

Dh and I go together. Dh is a fine ballroom dancer (better than me) but if you see him try to dance to pop music it is horrifying - he has a weird sense of loosey goosey free-form body movement. Worse than the Elaine Dance on Seinfeld. So besides being fun for me, this should give him some decent dancing parameters, especially as we work toward more popular dancing elements. :D

During our lesson last night, there were two singles and their instructors just did all the dancing with them. At the group lesson, it sounds like we will be expected to dance with pretty much everyone there, which makes me really nervous. They will all be beginners, though, so maybe not all that bad?

• Like 4

I've never had a car, but I've always wanted a red jeep wrangler. I'm told it's because I'm white.

My husband is going to take ballroom dancing with me when we can afford it.

I LOVED those Mormon dances as a teen. Awesome sauce! I was in swing club.

When I think fun math I think RS games, Miquon, Beast Academy, Murderous Maths or Life of Fred. My kid is 4 though, so feel free to ignore me. I'm also interested in the Mathematicians Are People Too series.

Matt started C25K this morning. I might start on Monday. Must contemplate.

• Like 5

1. I need something fun for math. We use rod and staff, and I am very happy with it. However I would like something to use just one or twice a week for fun. I have looked at rightstart games and abascus, and it looks interesting. But is it what I want?

3. What is the best, easiest and least expensive way to prove progress? I live in a state with few regulations, but I want to be able to show progress for my own satisfaction. Does that even make sense? Or am I being ridiculous? You all are my friends (my only friends) so you can tell me I am worrying about nothing and I won't be offended.:D

Answer one or two or three if you want to or have time, I will appreciate any and all answers. However, I really need to get rid of the duct tape residue.:)

1. Life of Fred or Zaccaro.

2. Goof off.

3. You are ridiculous but I have been, as well, and chose the SAT10. $40 and can be done online. Very comprehensive.

• Like 3

Left a message with the diocese, with a nice young woman who does not understand homeschooling ("Did you want to talk about a specific school?" "No, because this is about homeschooling." "Oh. Do you have any children in school?" "No, because this is about homeschooling." ::head desk::)  The woman I need to talk with is in a meeting and might call me back this afternoon.

• Like 6

I made 16 breakfast burritos for my kid who is picky but very thin so I worry.  I am freezing them and then he can pull one out and heat and eat it.  If I don't feed him, he eats tortilla chips all day.  The burritos have backyard chicken eggs, Applegate Farms chicken sausage, organic potatoes chopped and fried, and a little cheese.  I also used gf brown rice tortillas.

It took me two days to get all of that cooked and fixed.  During that time, even though I told them what the potatoes were for, dh and the other son ate over half of the cooked, chopped, fried potatoes. :confused1:  I had to add a bag of hash browns, and this is how I felt about it.  :cursing:

• Like 3

I made 16 breakfast burritos for my kid who is picky but very thin so I worry.  I am freezing them and then he can pull one out and heat and eat it.  If I don't feed him, he eats tortilla chips all day.  The burritos have backyard chicken eggs, Applegate Farms chicken sausage, organic potatoes chopped and fried, and a little cheese.  I also used gf brown rice tortillas.

It took me two days to get all of that cooked and fixed.  During that time, even though I told them what the potatoes were for, dh and the other son ate over half of the cooked, chopped, fried potatoes. :confused1:  I had to add a bag of hash browns, and this is how I felt about it.  :cursing:

I put a sign:  "No touchee, no eatee, upon pain of deathee."  They are afraid of the pain of deathee.

• Like 11

I put a sign:  "No touchee, no eatee, upon pain of deathee."  They are afraid of the pain of deathee.

I initially read this as diarrhea instead of deathee, which might be more effective.

Usually they do not dis me quite so badly.  I noted remorse in neither of them.

• Like 7

3. What is the best, easiest and least expensive way to prove progress? I live in a state with few regulations, but I want to be able to show progress for my own satisfaction. Does that even make sense? Or am I being ridiculous? You all are my friends (my only friends) so you can tell me I am worrying about nothing and I won't be offended. :D

Answer one or two or three if you want to or have time, I will appreciate any and all answers. However, I really need to get rid of the duct tape residue. :)

1. Don't think about something fun for math if you're wanting something that is still School. Think of games that are math-y, and play those. Yahtzee, any board game that uses dice, even jacks (hand-to-eye coordination is a plus, but also the players have to eyeball groups of jacks so they can pick up just the right number of jacks each time). Of course, there's always the Wonder Number Game, which is fun but doesn't seem anything like School.

2. :hat:

3. Is it not enough that your dc finishes his Official School Stuff successfully? You should be able to tell from your daily interactions with him whether he is progressing or not. 

• Like 3

Mr. Ellie grew up in a Southern Baptist home, and there was definitely dancing. Were you Southern Baptist? I wonder if that restriction is regional.

I was wondering, too.  I grew up Baptist (I guess "Northern"? - It was in MA) and we could dance.  Just not dirty dancing.  So it wasn't Footloose I related to, it was Dirty Dancing!

• Like 2

Left a message with the diocese, with a nice young woman who does not understand homeschooling ("Did you want to talk about a specific school?" "No, because this is about homeschooling." "Oh. Do you have any children in school?" "No, because this is about homeschooling." ::head desk::) The woman I need to talk with is in a meeting and might call me back this afternoon.

Poor thing. She obviously does not know to whom she is speaking... If she knew you were the queen, no doubt she would have been less obtuse :lol:

• Like 8

I made 16 breakfast burritos for my kid who is picky but very thin so I worry. I am freezing them and then he can pull one out and heat and eat it. If I don't feed him, he eats tortilla chips all day. The burritos have backyard chicken eggs, Applegate Farms chicken sausage, organic potatoes chopped and fried, and a little cheese. I also used gf brown rice tortillas.

It took me two days to get all of that cooked and fixed. During that time, even though I told them what the potatoes were for, dh and the other son ate over half of the cooked, chopped, fried potatoes. :confused1: I had to add a bag of hash browns, and this is how I felt about it. :cursing:

Can I have some? You just made my mouth water;-)

• Like 3

It took me two days to get all of that cooked and fixed. During that time, even though I told them what the potatoes were for, dh and the other son ate over half of the cooked, chopped, fried potatoes. :confused1: I had to add a bag of hash browns, and this is how I felt about it. :cursing:

I'm so sorry! Although I can totally understand. I love cooked, chopped, fried potatoes. With a little onion and diced bell pepper. And some seasoning salt. Yum! And you need to fry them till they're brown and slightly crunchy! I would have eaten them, too!
  • Like 2

To sum it up, dancing leads to romantic feelings/hormonal urges which leads to sex. Inevitable, really. ;)

Of course when I was growing up, strict ballroom waltzing or ballet or the Virginia Reel/square dancing would have been acceptable, but those weren't a part of my environment.

So, doing the "Chicken Dance" with your father, mother, grandparents, uncle, aunts, etc. at family weddings would in theory be ok? I used to love this as a kid, and still do.  :laugh:

• Like 1

Well, before I read about potato-gate, I was going to ask you to make more for my house.  My kids complain all day about having nothing to eat.  But after I read how your dh and other ds abused your potato property rights, I decided not to add insult to injury. 

ETA:  BOOYAH!!!!!\

And

This is the thread that never ends....

(Did I ever confess that I don't even know that song?  Which is probably why I don't know more of it than that.)

• Like 4

You too. I've been busy NOW THAT I CAN WALK!

I know, I know.  You've purged half your house.  And you've exercised every day.  And you've made whole-30 meals from scratch (probably with raw beets and kale).  And you're teaching John and Mary calculus and persuasive writing.  Oh, and you're a third of the way through the Bible, probably.  Yeah, I know.

(Actually, I'm totally impressed with all you're doing.  I'm just in a smart alec-y mood today.)

• Like 5

Well, before I read about potato-gate, I was going to ask you to make more for my house.  My kids complain all day about having nothing to eat.  But after I read how your dh and other ds abused your potato property rights, I decided not to add insult to injury. 

Thank you for feeling and understanding my pain.  It was the Great Potatoclypse of 2015.  Every time I looked, my cooked potato stash had diminished.  So disheartening.

• Like 4