Menu

Ignore this thread!

I did not wear hose today to church for the first time in 51 years - well, more like 40 years since I think I started wearing it when I was 11.  I feel so naked.

Ellie, will you find it in your heart to forgive me?  

Scandalous!

• Like 6

PSA:  Do not feed your dog too many rich people foods on July 4th unless you enjoy cutting diarrhea mats off of a dog with significant leg plumage and then washing the dog's booty while it struggles to escape.  Also, the dog will reward your kindness with a roll in the dirt while wet. :huh:

• Like 7

I did not wear hose today to church for the first time in 51 years - well, more like 40 years since I think I started wearing it when I was 11. I feel so naked.

Wow, Jean, you are a rebel!
  • Like 3

Analyze this:  I dreamed last night that I was chosen as the new Merlin.  I don't know what happened to the old one and why it suddenly became an elected office. . .     somehow I was in charge of reenacting the war in the Aeneid in modern day - as a wizard.  My dreams are normally boring ones involving cliffs or spiders or ice cream if it's a nice one.  

• Like 7

I did not wear hose today to church for the first time in 51 years - well, more like 40 years since I think I started wearing it when I was 11.  I feel so naked.

heeheehee.

We had to buy hose this past winter to make salt bags for the roof.  I wasn't even sure where to go to buy them!

• Like 5

I am sitting here comatose on the couch, but I have asked little dd to take a kitten pic. The kitten is now wearing a Build a Bear t shirt. lol She does not seem to mind.

Cute! Kittens are nice. I wish I had one.

I am also comatose on the sofa. I just finished cleaning up from jam making today - 496 ounces of it. If you come to my house right now, I will give you a jar of either blueberry grape or blueberry lime jam. Only one jar broke in the canning process so not too bad. Also, I used the food processor I got last Christmas to get the berries smooshed, which is much easier than using a potato masher.

Tomorrow the plan is to finish with the blueberries by making and freezing some loaves of blueberry bread. Tuesday will be strawberry rhubarb jam. Friday/Saturday will be peach jam. Maybe also some peach-raspberry.

Then I am done with fruit. At least 'til apple season.

• Like 5

I have just informed the family that in 47 minutes (at 11 pm) they had better clear out or I will become major cranky pants.  I'd actually like them to clear out now since I have pain roaring down on me like a freight train but I will leave them to their stupid movie while I slowly do my getting ready for bed stuff.  

I am also comatose on the sofa. I just finished cleaning up from jam making today - 496 ounces of it. If you come to my house right now, I will give you a jar of either blueberry grape or blueberry lime jam. Only one jar broke in the canning process so not too bad. Also, I used the food processor I got last Christmas to get the berries smooshed, which is much easier than using a potato masher.

Tomorrow the plan is to finish with the blueberries by making and freezing some loaves of blueberry bread. Tuesday will be strawberry rhubarb jam. Friday/Saturday will be peach jam. Maybe also some peach-raspberry.

I need to get back to canning. I miss it.

• Like 2

I have just informed the family that in 47 minutes (at 11 pm) they had better clear out or I will become major cranky pants.  I'd actually like them to clear out now since I have pain roaring down on me like a freight train but I will leave them to their stupid movie while I slowly do my getting ready for bed stuff.  

I'm sorry you're hurting.

• Like 6

You do realize that an hour after you posted this you were posting on the Naugler thread, right? Not that I'm stalking you or anything. I hope you are having sweet dreams by now, woman.

• Like 5

Tex, I can't like your nightmare post.  That was intense!

Jean, hope you had a deep and lovely sleep and that your body is better for it. 

Susan, you are amazing! 

Duck, I've never heard of salt bags on the roof.

As for pantyhose - not sure when I wore them last.  I either wear long skirts or nice pants - with sandals in summer and boots in winter. 

• Like 2

After doing as the title suggested for what seems like years, I have finally clicked into this thread.  

:ph34r:  :leaving:

A welcome party!!!   :hurray:  :party:  :party:  :party:

And even though we really aren't doing points much these days.....  1,000 sign-on bonus points for you!  

Plus 1,000 more for being in Switzerland.   :thumbup1:

• Like 3

The white clover is dyyyyyyying.......  bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!   <evil grin>

And on a completely different note, this is amazing.    We'd resigned ourselves to the fact that our 7 year-old's sneakers would forever be a rabbit-ear-less jumble of knots; but he is actually succeeding with this!  

ETA:  On the link, scroll waaaaay down the page to see the Point-of-View video (it provides the best, slowest, perspective).  And Adrian's comment way down in the comments section corrected an error I was making when I first tried the method.

ETA again:  I added my own comment to video to describe how I worded the process while teaching my kids.  Scroll way down the comment section and look for "Rebecca"

Last ETA, I promise:  We now, after about 35 minutes of my time this morning, have THREE certified shoe-tie-ers!   Ds7, Dd6, and Dd4 (the lefty).     :hurray:

• Like 4

I need to get back to canning. I miss it.

I have never canned anything.  I do make my own bread, though, and dry herbs.  But canning?  Um, no.  I'm too scared I will accidentally poison my peeps.

• Like 2

I have never canned anything.  I do make my own bread, though, and dry herbs.  But canning?  Um, no.  I'm too scared I will accidentally poison my peeps.

I have always wanted to learn canning.  The kiddos have a garden this year (we just picked our firstfruits yesterday, yay!)

Susan - can you recommend any books for a novice canner?

• Like 2

I've only canned fruits - it's easier. My veggies I've usually just froze. I also like to make my own bread. I got a bread machine from freecycle. Even then, I'm kinda lazy and haven't made it in a while. Shameful, I know.

• Like 2

Your jams sound yummy! My kids just like strawberry, so that's all I make! But we have a couple of peach trees so I got 14 qts. canned so far of those and I also got about half dozen pints of tomatoes put up.
  • Like 2

Monday morning here we are again...off to work in 20 minutes.  I get my new baby today :) So excited.  Not a little baby, but still previously our daycare was licensed only for 19 months-5 years.  Today we get to open our doors for ages 12-18months as well, and I am in charge of that group.  My first one starts today, a 16 month old little girl.  So I get to focus on her while still cooking lunch/making afternoon snack, and running the program over the summer.  Come fall I will have more little ones but less over all responsibility.  

I have another month before canning starts here, there is not much pickings this time of year. Come August though I hope to spend a full weekend just canning and restocking my shelves.

• Like 4

Canning fruits and fruit products is easy, veggies are better off frozen if you do not have a pressure canner.  I only do waterbath canning, so jams, apple butter, apple sauce, tomato sauce, salsa, I make a really good strawberry lemonade concentrate my kids love, I do peaches and pears sliced and in light syrup etc.  Nothing overly fancy.  If done right with sterile jars no one is going to get poisoned :)

• Like 4

I've only canned fruits - it's easier. My veggies I've usually just froze. I also like to make my own bread. I got a bread machine from freecycle. Even then, I'm kinda lazy and haven't made it in a while. Shameful, I know.

Bread machines make it harder - at least, in terms of cleanup.  I prefer a single large bowl and my hands.  I usually make bread on days when I need to vent a little frustration. :smash:

• Like 4

Canning fruits and fruit products is easy, veggies are better off frozen if you do not have a pressure canner.  I only do waterbath canning, so jams, apple butter, apple sauce, tomato sauce, salsa, I make a really good strawberry lemonade concentrate my kids love, I do peaches and pears sliced and in light syrup etc.  Nothing overly fancy.  If done right with sterile jars no one is going to get poisoned :)

Maybe some day...

• Like 1

Bread machines make it harder - at least, in terms of cleanup. I prefer a single large bowl and my hands. I usually make bread on days when I need to vent a little frustration. :smash:

I only use the machine for yeast breads. I know what you mean about vent baking. There was a time, long ago, when there was zucchini, carrot or banana breads, apple or other fruit coffee cakes, and the like almost every other day! Yep.

• Like 4

You do realize that an hour after you posted this you were posting on the Naugler thread, right? Not that I'm stalking you or anything. I hope you are having sweet dreams by now, woman.

Yes.  it took them 47 minutes to clear out but then another 30 min. to get themselves to bed.  Then I had to close up the house.  

• Like 2

Summer is even busier than the school year. Plus my ds is schooling through summer so he can get done with his last year early.

I have this "weird" eye condition that they can't figure out. My father has it and they did surgery for him but it didn't help. I have these pains that will shoot up one eye at a time just out of nowhere. Sometimes it will happen if I'm startled awake. Other times it will just happen. It feels like someone just ran a knife up my eye. It is a piercing pain and depending on the severity will determine how much my eye waters. They diagnosed it as migraines but I'm supposed to treat them after they hit. That's pointless because unless it's real severe I can normally open my eye without pain within a few minutes. Once in awhile it's bad where I can't barely open my eye without pain or it will be blurry. Thankfully it doesn't happen in both eyes at once.

My dad developed this problem a few years before me and he is 60. He has a tendency to get his extreme more times than not. Once it happens to him he normally is in pain for a while or has a blurry eye. I developed them about 5 years ago and I'm 37. Wish I knew what it was so we could both get relief.

I have this "weird" eye condition that they can't figure out. My father has it and they did surgery for him but it didn't help. I have these pains that will shoot up one eye at a time just out of nowhere. Sometimes it will happen if I'm startled awake. Other times it will just happen. It feels like someone just ran a knife up my eye. It is a piercing pain and depending on the severity will determine how much my eye waters. They diagnosed it as migraines but I'm supposed to treat them after they hit. That's pointless because unless it's real severe I can normally open my eye without pain within a few minutes. Once in awhile it's bad where I can't barely open my eye without pain or it will be blurry. Thankfully it doesn't happen in both eyes at once.

My dad developed this problem a few years before me and he is 60. He has a tendency to get his extreme more times than not. Once it happens to him he normally is in pain for a while or has a blurry eye. I developed them about 5 years ago and I'm 37. Wish I knew what it was so we could both get relief.

:grouphug:  

ETA: Booya! 

This is the thread that never ends...

• Like 2

You may have mine.  All of it!    If I were keeping bees I might feel differently, but I have one goal right now: get this lawn in decent shape so that I can (Lord willing) sell.this.house.    :coolgleamA:

I'd take it! My lawn (and that's a real stretch for that word) won't grow anything but crab grass and sticker weeds usually. The clover is a major step in the right direction.

• Like 2

The shoe tying video was pretty awesome.  

I want to contribute to the insanity, but I'm not sure I'm cool enough.  How about this:

Recently, I remembered a series of elephant jokes my grandmother used to tell me.  I started telling them to the kids, who thought they were hilarious.  So I googled to see if I could find some more.  It turns out that elephant jokes were this big fad back in the day and everyone used to tell them!  

Here's a few:

How do you know an elephant has been in your fridge?  

Elephant tracks int he peanut butter.

How do you know an elephant is behind the door?

You can smell the peanut butter on his breath.  

How many elephants can fit in a car?

4.  2 in the front, 2 in the back.

How many giraffes can fit in a car?

None, it's full of elephants!

How can you tell there are elephants in your apartment?

There's an empty car parked out front. 

And so on.  

Anyone else remember these?  

• Like 6