• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I miss having cats, that Marley is a cutie though.

Today I took the kids to a festival in a town about 45 minutes away today.  It was the Vikings in the street festival in Viking Alberta.  We got to see a small set up viking settlement, a reenactment, petting zoo, inflatables etc I bought my spoiled kids each a wooden battle ax and shield.  THen we went to the museum in that town (totally creepy, falling apart small hospital), and after there to the troll park they have in town.  Lastly we drove out of town a ways and went to see the ribstones.  There are only 9 ribstone sites ever found in Alberta, this is the only one that has never been moved.  Ribstones are large rocks carved by the ancient aboriginals to resemble the ribcages of the buffalo and were used as altars to Old Man Buffalo.  They were pretty cool.  Then all the way back home.  AND I stayed on my whole30 plan even though 2 of my kids chose subway and 2 chose burger king for dinner (we don't have restaurants in my town so it is a treat when we go else where).  I ordered their food and stood inside while orders were filled but did not give in and instead ate the fruit and  meat slices I packed or myself.

Good day good day

• Like 7

I miss having cats, that Marley is a cutie though.

Today I took the kids to a festival in a town about 45 minutes away today.  It was the Vikings in the street festival in Viking Alberta.  We got to see a small set up viking settlement, a reenactment, petting zoo, inflatables etc I bought my spoiled kids each a wooden battle ax and shield.  THen we went to the museum in that town (totally creepy, falling apart small hospital), and after there to the troll park they have in town.  Lastly we drove out of town a ways and went to see the ribstones.  There are only 9 ribstone sites ever found in Alberta, this is the only one that has never been moved.  Ribstones are large rocks carved by the ancient aboriginals to resemble the ribcages of the buffalo and were used as altars to Old Man Buffalo.  They were pretty cool.  Then all the way back home.  AND I stayed on my whole30 plan even though 2 of my kids chose subway and 2 chose burger king for dinner (we don't have restaurants in my town so it is a treat when we go else where).  I ordered their food and stood inside while orders were filled but did not give in and instead ate the fruit and  meat slices I packed or myself.

Good day good day

Sounds fabu.

Our air conditioner went out, and I have come here to complain.  We live in northern Florida.  Whine and fuss.  However, we rent, and they will fix it (Monday).  Also, we have a small window unit in the sunroom which is working hard to cool things down for the evening. 

Somebody get JojosMom a drink.

Air conditioning doesn't come with many places around here, and we don't own a window unit either. The owner who built these triplexes did not get windows with even the smallest window unit in mind. We have fans. That blow around hot air. Lovely.

Air conditioning doesn't come with many places around here, and we don't own a window unit either. The owner who built these triplexes did not get windows with even the smallest window unit in mind. We have fans. That blow around hot air. Lovely.

Ugh.  Poor Renai. We live in an area that generally doesn't get hot enough for air conditioning, but we live in one of the hotter parts (it's flat and on the valley floor-horses don't much care for clinging to mountain sides.)  One of the few things we really liked about the house-part of the property was the very rare air conditioning unit. So, when it gets really hot, head my way, Renai.  My DD would snatch up your 4 year old and love her 'til she 'sploded!  And DD has a 14 year old dancer friend (not in your DD's league, but still-company).  And your husband can drink beer and look at all the tools in DH's shop.  And you and I can look at reams of homeschool materials in the air conditioning!  Can I party, or what??

• Like 3

That's pretty bad! 

• Like 2

Good day good day

I've been wanting to go to the Viking festival for years. Sounds awesome. I love how you mixed in some other local history in, too. I've never heard of ribstones. I'll have to investigate. I'm actually going to be in AB in July.

• Like 4

Ugh.  Poor Renai. We live in an area that generally doesn't get hot enough for air conditioning, but we live in one of the hotter parts (it's flat and on the valley floor-horses don't much care for clinging to mountain sides.)  One of the few things we really liked about the house-part of the property was the very rare air conditioning unit. So, when it gets really hot, head my way, Renai.  My DD would snatch up your 4 year old and love her 'til she 'sploded!  And DD has a 14 year old dancer friend (not in your DD's league, but still-company).  And your husband can drink beer and look at all the tools in DH's shop.  And you and I can look at reams of homeschool materials in the air conditioning!  Can I party, or what??

That sounds like an excellent plan!

I'm going to share some pics but don't tell dd I did this! She is not pleased with her posture at the time of the shutter click. They are public pics on a page of one of the schools she auditioned to for a summer intensive. She's the brown one on point. :D

http://jillanaschool.com/photos/2015aud/images/alb015.jpg

http://jillanaschool.com/photos/2015aud/images/alb016.jpg

• Like 9

I'm going to share some pics but don't tell dd I did this! She is not pleased with her posture at the time of the shutter click. They are public pics on a page of one of the schools she auditioned to for a summer intensive. She's the brown one on point. :D

Oh, Renai, she is so beautiful!

I agree with JoJosMom, Renai.  She's a beautiful girl.  And I am no dancer, so I thought her posture was splendid!  I could never make that look good.

• Like 6

Oh, Renai, she is so beautiful!

I agree with JoJosMom, Renai.  She's a beautiful girl.  And I am no dancer, so I thought her posture was splendid!  I could never make that look good.

Thanks! I tell her all the time, and others say the same, but her self-esteem is in the toilet.

• Like 1

I've been wanting to go to the Viking festival for years. Sounds awesome. I love how you mixed in some other local history in, too. I've never heard of ribstones. I'll have to investigate. I'm actually going to be in AB in July.

Cool, where abouts in AB are you gonna be? IF close enough maybe we can meet :)

• Like 1

Someone just shoot me in the foot now.

:grouphug:

I've been ignoring this thread because I had to deal with an absolutely hysterical neighbor who was stung by a wasp or hornet.  I think she has finally stopped hyperventilating (no exaggeration).   And no, she is not allergic to bee stings.  

I've been there. How is she?

I want a kitten. Every time I get to play with one (er...treat one) I want to take it home.

But my household already contains five cats, all are over ten, three with chronic medical conditions, and they would fall over dead at the sight of a spring-tailed kitten! So I will just have to content myself with Marley pictures and playing with every kitten I see.

What do you do? And are you a boy?

Which totally ramps up the cool factor of her name.   I want a kitty named Marley too.  

My Marley was a girl, though she was named after Bob. I loved the name and wish we hadn't wasted it on a cat.

Sounds fabu.

I love this word.

• Like 3

She's fabulous!

• Like 2

I've been there. How is she?

I don't know.  Everyone in my house is forbidden from answering the phone if her name is on caller i.d. for the next week or so.  I will answer if I can handle it on that day.  She did call once more today but we were headed out the door to pick dh up from the airport.  She didn't leave a message which means to me that she just wanted to dump.  We have a 15 year history of her having meltdowns in my living room while I tell her to call her doc and get back on her meds.  This policy of me not answering the phone at times works best for both of us.  She seems to hold it together better if she can't go to pieces on me.  And I won't go into a pain flare if I don't have the stress of her meltdowns.  

• Like 5

Went to high school reunion.  I think I'm over those.  Too loud.  Too late.  Too long.  Too location.  (Trying to keep up with the alliteration theme but the location is traffic-y, crowded, hard to find parking, etc.)  I am on the bank account with another classmate.  I think we both want out!  We've held the job for six years, through two reunions.   That is enough.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

Went to high school reunion. I think I'm over those. Too loud. Too late. Too long. Too location. (Trying to keep up with the alliteration theme but the location is traffic-y, crowded, hard to find parking, etc..

My graduating class had one, perhaps two reunions. Neither of which I attended. The first one was a five year and I still had not put enough distance between myself and those people. So I didn't go. (I graduated from a small Christian high school there were 68 people in my class, and a bunch of honyaks were "ruling"the class) I think they may have had a 10 year when I was out of the country, so obviously I didn't go to that. We're coming up on 30 years next summer. I don't think anything is being planned. I wouldn't mind seeing people now that they've had a chance to actually grow up.

• Like 2

One more time, for Renai's dancer girl:

ETA:  Make her watch it, won't you?  She is so, so lovely.  It's heartbreaking that she doesn't see it.

Renai, this one is also for your beautiful girl.

Thanks JoJosMom. We watched them last night. She said she recognized both. The first, she said, "Oh. no!" and turned her head away and covered her face. I thought she was going to cry. But, she turned back around and listened to it. We listened to both. 

• Like 5

I graduated in Japan.  My graduating class had 30 kids.  Six of us meet every year - at least once, because six of us live in the area.  That's one fifth of the class!  Only one of the six is a close friend.  But she's a very close friend even though we don't see each other so much.  Our shared third culture past makes it so that sometimes she's the only person who can really understand where I'm coming from.  And vice versa.

Because other classmates are scattered all over the world, our formal reunions move too.  Our last one was in Canada.  Before that it was in the eastern U.S.  I haven't gone to any of the formal ones since our tenth because I usually can't afford it.  Our tenth was here so I could afford that.  

• Like 5

Thanks JoJosMom. We watched them last night. She said she recognized both. The first, she said, "Oh. no!" and turned her head away and covered her face. I thought she was going to cry. But, she turned back around and listened to it. We listened to both. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:

(One for you and one for Beautiful Dancer Girl)

My graduating class had over 300 students.  We have never done a reunion, this June marks 20 years (holy crap).  So either one was never planned or I was never invited :lol:  I am still fb friends with many of the students I went to high school with and we know what's going on in each others lives, have seen each others kids grow up in pictures etc but that is it.

• Like 1

Cool, where abouts in AB are you gonna be? IF close enough maybe we can meet :)

Tofield (From Viking, east on the 14 toward Sherwood Park). We'll be enjoying some time in SP at Millenium Place for sure. I love that place.  :001_wub:   Indoor facility envey for our long, dark winters.

Tofield (From Viking, east on the 14 toward Sherwood Park). We'll be enjoying some time in SP at Millenium Place for sure. I love that place.  :001_wub:   Indoor facility envey for our long, dark winters.

Definitely close enough to meet up :) I drive through sherwood park regularly to head into the city.  We are a couple hours east of SP, so have not been to millennium other than when we did a volleyball workshop with wisdom.  I don't think I have been to tofield before, I don't take 14 very often, though it was a lady just outside edmonton on 14 that I borrowed this egg incubator from :) Let me know when you are in and we can try to coordinate a time to meet up.  I never get to meet boardies :)

Renai --- what beautiful photos of your dd!!! Please tell BDG that my first thought was Stunning! Renai must be so proud of her talented and beautiful daughter!

I am, very much so. And I believe she will find her place in this world.

• Like 5

600+ in my high school graduating class. I didn't know everyone. At the graduation ceremony I looked across the isle and thought, "Who are these people, and did we really attend school together?" I've not been back to any reunion and never will. Not my scene at all.

• Like 3

Great photo of your dd, Renai! I know nothing about dance posture, but if she's on the school's publicity page it's because she looks good! 

Well, they are really pictures of the audition she went to. There's another picture I haven't posted where she's looking at another little girl that looks like she's about to break her neck in pointe shoes. That girl should NOT have been en pointe. I was holding my breath hoping she wouldn't fall. Dd said the same thing.

But the picture shows dd is very obviously looking at her! I laughed. I was like, you can't be so obvious! We look carefully at the pic and can tell another girl was watching too, but just with the eyes, not her whole head like dd! Much more subtle...lol!  Found it http://jillanaschool.com/photos/2015aud/images/alb014.jpg

• Like 1

By the way, she got into that intensive. She leaves next week!  :crying:

Congratulations?

(I think you should add a thought bubble to that last photo.  "Are you okay?  Do I need to run over and catch you? If you break something, you're going to ruin the whole vibe of this audition, kiddo." )

• Like 2

Congratulations?

(I think you should add a thought bubble to that last photo.  "Are you okay?  Do I need to run over and catch you? If you break something, you're going to ruin the whole vibe of this audition, kiddo." )

She lol'd at the thought bubble. I was looking more at that pic and realized almost everyone was watching that girl! (well, except the one stretching in the background)

She'll be gone for 4 weeks and is being a terror right now. After reading the threads on how kids change the week before going off to college, I think it's something like that, I'm just getting a taste of it.

• Like 2

That's awesome! Have a tissue. And some chocolate.

I actually just bought chocolate yesterday. It's been a long time since I've bought myself chocolate. Ghirardelli dark chocolate and mint squares, and Lindt assorted truffles. :drool:  I'm going to pack some in her bag, too.

• Like 3