Menu

Ignore this thread!

:grouphug:

Honestly, it's not a mommy war thing; more like grief and loss (and not just the breast feeding thing).  And, believe me, I'm very grateful for her.  God was very good to us.  (But there's still a sad little part in my heart.)

:grouphug:

• Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Only if they are virgin for both Tex and I. Not that we are. . . virgins. But we both mispent our youth and need our drinks on the pure side. It would be so much fun to go, wouldn't it!

Ooh, there goes Jean spilling all my secrets! I had everyone here convinced that I am an alcoholic virgin.
  • Like 2

Honestly, it's not a mommy war thing; more like grief and loss (and not just the breast feeding thing). And, believe me, I'm very grateful for her. God was very good to us. (But there's still a sad little part in my heart.)

I would have been devastated had I not been able to nurse. (((Hugs)))

Devastated is not hyperbole.

• Like 3

I have no book recs on EC. My girlfriend told me all about it. She's super hippy like me and married a Brazilian who grew up in the jungle with no diapers. All kids use the potty (hole in the ground) in the wild.

All babies use cloth diapers left open for the first three days or so. Every time they go you make a sp sound over and over. Then you hold them over the potty while making that sound and they go on command. I taught my kids to close their hands like a single handed clap to notify me they had to go.

Warning! ECers are wacked. I don't agree with modern EC methods of having your kids walk around bottomless all day, taking them to go to the bathroom every five minutes or having little infant potties in every room. My kids wore diapers in case of emergency and we held them over the toilet. It was easy.

• Like 4

This is also how I potty trained Miami. I do a lot of my parenting similarly to the way I trained my dog. I've got a good dog and I've got good kids so I suppose it's ok. I don't remember ever reading to the dog. And I bathe the children much more frequently. But other than that it's pretty much the same.

• Like 2

Love the bolded.  And great can be defined by lots of different experiences, even if breastfeeding isn't part of it.  

So tell me about EC?? I've never known anyone to do that!  Well unless my grandmother counts (she claimed she trained my mother before 12 months… though definitions of "trained" can vary greatly and I doubt she called it Early Communication; more likely she called it No Washing Machine So Of Course I'm Carrying Her To The Potty.   :laugh: )

Any good reads on the subject you recommend?

(Not that I'm likely to travel the infant route again.  But we will pretend I'm still young with many fruitful years ahead of me and different options to consider.) 

ETA:  Booyah!

I did EC with my youngest from birth to 8 months old and then I had too much going on and resorted to using diapers with her because I did not have time to watch for her cues.  I even bedshared with her not wearing diapers.  I just kept a bucket by the bedside and everytime she woke to nurse I held her over it and she went.  I have a really cute picture of her at about 4-5 months sitting on her little potty smiling as big as can be. Saved me a fortune on diapers skipping 8 months of it.  If I never resorted to diapers in the end I think she would have potty trained completely fairly early (as opposed to me being the only trained one between the two of us for her potty habits lol), but switching to diapers had her on par with my other kids of being 2.5-3 by the time she was fully potty trained.

• Like 3

Again, you're not following the ruuuuuules. You can't talk about recipes without posting them.  :toetap05:

Never been one accused of following the rules. I kept my mom busy with all the rules I broke.

:driving:  - me driving mom crazy

:scared:  :cursing:  :banghead: - mom on more than one occasion 

• Like 3

I make a killer caramel apple pie. Even my traditionalist sister raves about it. *drool*

Again, you're not following the ruuuuuules. You can't talk about recipes without posting them.  :toetap05:

I want this.

This is the one I typically make: caramel apple pie

Sometimes, I make my own caramel (you know, when I'm crazy and put aside all the millions of things i should REALLY be doing), I use store bought caramel sauce or I take caramels and cut them up and put them throughout the pie. All work well. 

• Like 4

I should write a book.

Rachel's Earth Friendly Parenting: Where Eco-Terrorism Meets Common Sense, by someone who isn't a hippy, but dresses like one.

I'm pre-ordering it today.

Though that name in the title is freakin' me out.  You are SLASH, or maybe SLACHE.  Who the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is Rachel?   :confused1:  :D

• Like 5

I did EC with my youngest from birth to 8 months old and then I had too much going on and resorted to using diapers with her because I did not have time to watch for her cues.  I even bedshared with her not wearing diapers.  I just kept a bucket by the bedside and everytime she woke to nurse I held her over it and she went.  I have a really cute picture of her at about 4-5 months sitting on her little potty smiling as big as can be. Saved me a fortune on diapers skipping 8 months of it.  If I never resorted to diapers in the end I think she would have potty trained completely fairly early (as opposed to me being the only trained one between the two of us for her potty habits lol), but switching to diapers had her on par with my other kids of being 2.5-3 by the time she was fully potty trained.

In theory it sounds really promising!  The concern with early potty training (from the perspective of the urologist that I read) is that it contributes to holding (instead of releasing the moment a child feels the need to go), and the result with many kids is constipation.  But as you and Slache describe EC, it's very natural and instinctive; those cues to "go" are immediately followed by going.   No unnatural holding for extended periods; no constipation concerns.  {Of course other things can cause constipation too; not just holding pee and poop for unnaturally long periods.}

The wrench in the whole EC system, I think, would be me.  The bolded above.  Perhaps with my first two children I could have succeeded, but I can't really imagine providing that level of availability right now.  And I'm not sure with my oldest if I could have learned his cues anyway… from infancy all the way up to age 3, he urinated small amounts about every 3 minutes, with no cues that I can think of. (I was aware of this since we cloth diapered our first three children.)  He and several other of my dc have an inherited condition that also contributes to chronic constipation, so that too is a factor.  Maybe if the pediatrician and I had been aware of the constipation issues very early on, we could have cleared them up and been more successful with something like EC.  

• Like 1

Sometimes, I make my own caramel (you know, when I'm crazy and put aside all the millions of things i should REALLY be doing), I use store bought caramel sauce or I take caramels and cut them up and put them throughout the pie. All work well. 

You too!  Hi! Any friend of apple pie is a friend of mine.  

:seeya:  

• Like 2

Hello, ITT friends.  We have come so far, yet have so far to go.  (And I told ya we have lots of lurking followers.  ;) )

Today was expensive to be me.  We have a health share program and no dental insurance.  I took little dd to a new doc for her "establishment of new patient" visit - $86.  Then I took all three kids to the dentist - one kid had to get a baby tooth out - $824 for the cleanings, xrays, exams, etc, plus the extraction.  Plus, one kid (not the one I had my money on, BTW) has three cavities so in July they will want $650 more.  Then I picked up a script for me - $86.

I am currently sitting on my duff recovering from these blows and all of the running around.  I am eating chocolate sent by Renai to ease my pain...because I have a lot of pain.  This chocolate has a fabulous mouthfeel.

I am checking the mail anxiously every five minutes to see if the chocolate from everyone else is arriving today.  If you neglected to send it yet, don't worry.  It is never too late.  :D

P.S.  It is not raining, and that is so awesome.  At least I didn't have to drive around in the rain going broke.

• Like 9

Warning - actual homeschooling information:

Please note that I have decided not to tackle reading and studying The Odyssey and watching TGC lectures about this work during the summer.  This was never a good plan.  I will squeeze it into the cracks of next school year and drag it out over the entire year, which is a more doable plan.  

"Hi, I'm texasmama, and I am an overplanner."  Sigh.  Does anyone want to join my support group? 

ETA:  One summer I made my boys cry due to assigning too much of Key to Algebra.  <slinks away>  Ds12 told the dentist that our summer is just an extended school year.  #rattedoutbythekids

• Like 3

Yum yum yum! I have never made an apple pie with caramel, but I just might try this. I noticed this recipe specified 2 different kinds of apples - so important in pies and apple sauce. (The more the merrier, I always say. Apples are a friendly lot.)

It being summer, my kids have all been making the rounds to the dentist (a new one for our family). My 6yo was the last to go today, having been told all about the nice dentist lady and the tooth pictures and "Mr. Slurpie" who sucks out all the water. When we got back home from the appointment, dd6 said rather pointedly, "Mr. Slurpie *wasn't* a person."

!?!

Poor girl - she'd been worried all that time...I am such a bad mom! Ugh.

• Like 5

Yum yum yum! I have never made an apple pie with caramel, but I just might try this. I noticed this recipe specified 2 different kinds of apples - so important in pies and apple sauce. (The more the merrier, I always say. Apples are a friendly lot.)

For shame! Get thee to thy kitchen, woman, and make a dang pie! 

• Like 2

Warning - actual homeschooling information:

Please note that I have decided not to tackle reading and studying The Odyssey and watching TGC lectures about this work during the summer.  This was never a good plan.  I will squeeze it into the cracks of next school year and drag it out over the entire year, which is a more doable plan.  

"Hi, I'm texasmama, and I am an overplanner."  Sigh.  Does anyone want to join my support group? 

ETA:  One summer I made my boys cry due to assigning too much of Key to Algebra.  <slinks away>  Ds12 told the dentist that our summer is just an extended school year.  #rattedoutbythekids

Overheard at the pool (members only-type, although you can buy day only passes) yesterday:

DW, relaxing in the pool, to DH, also relaxing in the pool:  "Why didn't we do this last year?"

DH: <shrug>

DW: "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, that's right.  Because you wanted us to try to do summer homeschool.  This is much better."

ETA - or something to that effect.  in case they are members of WTM and I slightly misquoted.  Not that I know them - yet :)

• Like 5

Hello, ITT friends.  We have come so far, yet have so far to go.  (And I told ya we have lots of lurking followers.   ;) )

Today was expensive to be me.  We have a health share program and no dental insurance.  I took little dd to a new doc for her "establishment of new patient" visit - $86.  Then I took all three kids to the dentist - one kid had to get a baby tooth out - $824 for the cleanings, xrays, exams, etc, plus the extraction.  Plus, one kid (not the one I had my money on, BTW) has three cavities so in July they will want $650 more.  Then I picked up a script for me - $86.

I am currently sitting on my duff recovering from these blows and all of the running around.  I am eating chocolate sent by Renai to ease my pain...because I have a lot of pain.  This chocolate has a fabulous mouthfeel.

I am checking the mail anxiously every five minutes to see if the chocolate from everyone else is arriving today.  If you neglected to send it yet, don't worry.  It is never too late.   :D

P.S.  It is not raining, and that is so awesome.  At least I didn't have to drive around in the rain going broke.

Best. Ever.

• Like 1

Booya!

It is the thread that never ends
It just goes on and on my friends.

People - started posting not knowing what it was
And they'll just keep on posting stuff forever just because...

It is the thread that never ends..

• Like 3