Menu

Quilters, wash fabric first or not?

KatieJ

I am sort of a novice myself but I have found this to be a surprisingly divisive question among quilters!

With about half n half responses when I ask friends the same thing, I have decided to not wash prior to quilting. The fabric is easier to handle that way.

Now I will be happy to hear all the other opinions that may follow!

• Like 2

I don't wash, I do iron. 

Caveat: I wash reds and deep purples

Another caveat: If I need to wash one piece of fabric that is going in a quilt ( a red or purple), I wash all of them, including the backing & binding fabrics. 

I never wash precuts. 

I always use a few color catcher sheets when I wash a quilt for the first time. 

• Like 2

I took an online quilting class and Amy Gibson said she doesn't wash before because she likes the homey look that the quilt gets after its first wash. She also says it is easier to work with unwashed fabric that still has the sizing in it.

However, either wash it all or don't wash it all. Don't go half and half!

• Like 5

I wash, then iron. Avoids possibility of colors bleeding or shrinking causing puckering at the seams. But I'm not even close to being an expert. I might make an exception if I bought a jelly roll or other precut pieces. In that case, the fraying from washing would make the pieces uneven and difficult to work with.

• Like 1

depends on what you want the finished product to look like

If you want something more puckery in terms of a finished quilt post-washing, don't prewash

If you want a quilt that is super bright and will hang on your wall and never be washed, don't prewash

If you want a quilt that will be washed but will not be as puckery, prewash

some people like the puckery look, or they just plan for the quilt to be decorative anyway

• Like 2

I generally don't wash, but do iron.  I like the look of it shrinking after being quilting...I use cotton batting to add to this look as well.  

I do wash flannels since they shrink quite a bit!  I'm not sure what I'd do for a rag quilt since you don't really want the wrinkly, old-fashioned look with it.   :confused1:  I'd probably pre-wash in this case as well.  I know the truly important thing is to treat your fabrics all the same way...don't mix washed with unwashed fabrics.  

As far as ironing, I iron all fabrics just before cutting...otherwise you end up with creases that throw off your measurements!  

I wash because I assume that anything I make will be washed at some point, and it is better to deal with shrinkage ahead of time.  I wash HOT and dry HOT.  Then I iron.  :0) 

It's diseased, I know. 

My dh said that he should wear quilts instead of shirts, because at least then he would wear ironed clothes.  LOL. 

(Take it to the cleaners, Bub.)

For rag quilts??  Anything goes. Are you doing exposed seams? Even the greats like Harriet Hargrave say you should do what creates the effect you want.  It depends on the situation.  If you WANT the irregularity of the shrinkage, then don't prewash!  If you want it to shrink more evenly and the shrinkage to be more entirely dependent on the shrinkage of the batting, then prewash.  It's all about control and getting the effect you want.  

For battings, poly won't shrink, etc., where cotton will shrink dramatically.  I've fallen in love with a bamboo/cotton blend batting that shrinks in the most delicious way.  I pair it with minky for the back.  Yum, yum.  

So I say do what you WANT that creates the look you want.  And yes, Harriet Hargrave suggests beginners not wash, even when using regular cotton.  The idea is you're probably, as a beginner, working with very simple shapes, where the shrinkage wouldn't be that big a deal and would create an antique, shriveled look to cover your newbie mistakes.   :)

I have a related question, please:  What size ironing board do you have, and if it is not the standard size where did you get it?  How do you manage to iron very large pieces of cloth (sheet-size)?

Always wash.  Just don't use fabric softener until the project is complete.  

What would the fabric softener do if used before project completion?  Should I be avoiding fabric softener when washing my quilt (that my aunt sewed as a wedding present and we have been using daily since then)?

What would the fabric softener do if used before project completion?  Should I be avoiding fabric softener when washing my quilt (that my aunt sewed as a wedding present and we have been using daily since then)?

Certain fabrics it makes the stitching not as tight when sewing.  It is fine to be used it after the project is done.

For the ironing board- I made mine.  It is from a sheet of plywood covered in material.  It fits under the bed and I bring it out when needed.  It is either a 3 x 5 or a 4 x 6.  

• Like 1

I have a related question, please:  What size ironing board do you have, and if it is not the standard size where did you get it?  How do you manage to iron very large pieces of cloth (sheet-size)?

If your ironing board is very narrow (like my hand-me-down was when I got married), you might like to consider a wider ironing board.  I got mine at Sears a number of years ago as a splurge.  It's wider than normal, very stable, and was maybe $50? I forget.  Here, it's $56 now and comes with a couple extra goodies mine didn't.  http://www.sears.com/household-essentials-indoor-portable-clothes-fibertech-wide-4-leg/p-SPM11220177719?QParsing=1&s_tnt=62651:1:0 I also have an ironing/pinnable surface with a measuring grid that I bought at joanns.  If you want to make one out of board, that would be neat.  I don't know, with my 18" I usually make do.  When I made my drapes (10" long, very wide), I placed two laminate top folding tables together with a blanket and then the drapes and ironed that way.  But for most ironing, my wide regular board works.  You don't usually buy tons of one kind of fabric when you're quilting anyway, so it's just the backing where this is coming up.  

But yes, if you need an excuse to upgrade your board, you might like an 18" wide board very much.  The iron rest is handy too.  Next you're going to be looking at your iron, hehe...