Menu

Martial arts - I don't know where to start.

Kalypso

My ds13 thinks he would like to try some sort of martial arts. I know nothing about martial arts.  Where would I begin learning about the different types? If anyone could direct me to some informative websites or something, I would really appreciate it.

TIA!

• Like 1

First you need to find out what is available locally.  To me the #1 factor is who is in charge, and especially who is teaching the class you are going to be in.  Our sensai and his wife are outstanding teachers, a nice balance of firmness and kindness.  Where mine have been injured, it was their own fault, not the training or equipment.

We prefer a non-competitive, flowing style, and love Aikido.  My oldest is a shodan (black belt), and teaches a children's class in addition to his own class.  It's also very reasonable and convenient for us.

• Like 8

www.ataonline.com is a great place to search for TaeKwonDo schools in your area. I agree with the previous poster that the instructor sets the tone. There are many martial arts options in our areas but this instructor fit us best. my DD13 has been doind TKD with him for 10 years and my DD7 is now training too!

• Like 1

Yes, find a school you like and can afford. That is really the most important thing. Talk to people in your area and get a feel for what is available. Check out the costs and the testing schedule. Some are cheaper up front but charge a fortune to test etc. Make sure you feel comfortable and welcome there b/c if he sticks with it, you will spend a lot of time with those people, lol. You also don't want to be driving a huge distance b/c as he advances he will have to go more often.

I think martial arts are great for kids that age, especially for kids who don't click with team sports. It is fine for those kids also, don't get me wrong, but for the kid who hasn't really found a spot to explore movement, martial arts are a great option.

• Like 3

Be open minded and tour the local schools of different styles available to you.

Look and see who teaches the classes and here are a few things to ask: are there contracts to sign, can you do a trial run, do they charge extra for  something called "black belt clubs" (not a good sign), what is the testing frequency and what are the testing charges, are they a competitive school with lots of tournaments (and what are the extra costs), do they require sparring and gear and at what belt levels, how do they handle discipline, how accomplished are the participants in classes....  those are just a few to start with.

The answers you want to these questions will depend on you.  When we first started I got annoyed with the number of schools who would not tell me the cost of the classes unless I first brought my son to a trial class.  What? Really, drag my son to a class- get his hopes up only to tell him that they are too expensive?   Those schools we ruled out with a phone call. We also knew we wanted a place that would incorporate bo staff and other weapons in at the higher levels- so that ruled out all the local TKD places.

Watch a class or two and soak in the atmosphere of the school- is it one you are comfortable in?  Are the sensei the sort of people you want your son spending lots of time with?- because if your son loves it- believe me, he will be spending lots and lots of time in their company as he progresses.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Talk to people and get recommendations.  Some schools can't keep students and there is usually a reason why.  Word of mouth will usually help you find good ones.  We have people that drive 45 minutes to get to our school because our chief instructor is that awesome (we are lucky... we live 2 miles away!).  Even if an instructor is raved about, it doesn't mean he or she is going to work well for you/your child.  Ask to try out some classes.  Many schools will let you come to a few for free before signing up.  At the very least observe the classes.  Ask parents sitting there what they like and don't like about the school.  The instructor makes all the difference.  The group of schools that the one we go to is part of are all very different.  There are some I would not enjoy going to because I just don't like the instructor's teaching style (since my older two kids are training to be instructors, once a month they go to classes specifically for instructors in training and it rotates schools in the city... and the styles of each of the chief instructors varies so much).

• Like 3

Those schools we ruled out with a phone call. We also knew we wanted a place that would incorporate bo staff and other weapons in at the higher levels- so that ruled out all the local TKD places.

Good Luck

Interesting... our school is ATA taekwondo and we use weapons (but I know others in the area do not).  I love weapons!

• Like 1

I started by looking at what was available to us and what their schedules were. We live in a rural area so that meant three places within a half hour drive. One didn't have class times that would work with our schedule. That narrowed it down to two. We chose the one that offered a homeschool family class in the mornings. It is a Korean style martial arts school. It is taught by a homeschool mom and she has two master black belts that assist her. We loved the class time, mix of ages and abilities, the fact that no contract was required and the cost is extremely reasonable with excellent sibling/family discounts. We tried out a class and were very impressed. We've had to make up classes missed due to snow and were pleased to find that they offer a weekend family class that was also excellent.

We also liked the variety the school offered. They offer both family classes and age based classes, weapons classes, combat for adults, tournaments that are optional, and a demo team. The school's students do very well in tournaments so they are well trained. It seemed like a good fit for both the casual participant as well as someone who wants to take it to the next level. We don't know where we fit in that yet so we like the options. :-)

We are new to martial arts, having just started in January, so I don't have any other advice to offer. Basically, find out what is available to you and go from there. It won't do any good to fall in love with a specific style only to find out that the closest school is 3 hours away. :-)

• Like 1

Ask for local recommendations first. When I asked local friends, they all recommended the same studio (er, dojang). We all love it there! The owner/head instructor teaches all of our classes (because we take a class for homeschoolers during the day), and he is around for most of the evening classes, although I think some of his black belts teach a few of them. He seems to know all of what is going on at the dojang and is well-acquainted with the students and their parents. We do hapkido, which is heavily self defense focused, which I personally like, and there is not a lot of grappling, at least not at my kids' levels (they are on their third and fourth belts).

I really appreciated that he let us try a class for free, and then to be sure that we liked it, he gave us several classes and a uniform for each child for a very low cost, which I thought was very generous and helpful in making our decision. (And cost was given up front. He had me sign a three month contract after the first month, and then a year contract, which I did not mind at all, because I have three children in one class, which makes a big difference as to how many other children he can accept in that class. Some places have a separate black belt fee, which can be hefty, so inquire as to what that includes and whether it's necessary or not.) We have at least ten schools of different types of MA near us, but we drive 35 miles to this one because we are so pleased. High pressure to do lots of classes would maybe concern me a little, but our place is flexible.

There is no yelling at students in our dojang. The instructor is kind but firm, and the kids genuinely respect him. I usually stay to watch class because I don't have time to go anywhere else, and I like how he insists on excellence but not perfection. He relates well to my teen, my tween, and my 6yo and meets them all at their levels. I would try to observe some classes and see how an instructor does with the kids. Also, our instructor totally backs up parents when it comes to schoolwork and household first, class secondary. That is how a coach should be, IMO.

• Like 1

Don't sign a contract. Many places will only let you attend for a few months before they try to make you sign a multi-year contract. I know someone who got suckered into a four YEAR contract with her son, who was only five or six at the time.

Four years! Yes, I would consider that to be way too much. We got to do four months of classes before signing a contract for a year, and that seemed reasonable to me, especially since two of my children were nine and twelve, so old enough to commit to a year. (Extenuating circumstances, like major injury, or job loss, would be different.). But yeah, no way would I sign a four year contract for a 6yo, especially if he didn't have older siblings in the class!

• Like 1

I would also make sure the school you select has a teen or adult class with beginners.  Some schools might have your 13yo in a class with all beginner children most of which could be very young.  Your ds might feel out of place.

Another option would be to look for a place with "family" classes.  A lot of adults start as white belts along with their kids (of all ages).  So a tall white belt need not feel out of place.

I think at age 14 our school includes teens as "adults" when the distinction is relevant.

• Like 4

Honestly I think that any place that won't let you train without a contract is suspicious. Some reputable places I know do monthly payments where you're required to sign up for auto deposit, but even those it only requires 30 days to cancel. 

The instructor is the first thing. I wouldn't worry about the style so much because there are competent and incompetent martial artists in all styles -- find an instructor who is skilled at instructing as others have said.

Any place that guarantees a black belt after a certain number of years is really suspicious -- it indicates that promotions are based on "time served" versus actual skill. 

I really like Aikido but I've been lucky enough to find good instructors there. 

• Like 2

Don't sign a contract. Many places will only let you attend for a few months before they try to make you sign a multi-year contract. I know someone who got suckered into a four YEAR contract with her son, who was only five or six at the time.

Dang, that's a ridiculous contract!  We did sign a contract, but only because I actually asked for it so I could get 1/3 off our cost for the older two's more intense training (and that covered the rest of us as well since paying for two people gets the whole family where we go).  But they were really into it by then and wanted to train to be instructors.  WAY different from a 5 or 6 year old.  Contracts at our school also can be postponed so if you have to miss a month or two or six for some reason, if you let them know, it pushes your end date out that far.  One of the men who does class with us goes out of the country for 3 months every summer.  They postpone his contract that much every year.

• Like 1

Dang, that's a ridiculous contract!  We did sign a contract, but only because I actually asked for it so I could get 1/3 off our cost for the older two's more intense training (and that covered the rest of us as well since paying for two people gets the whole family where we go).  But they were really into it by then and wanted to train to be instructors.  WAY different from a 5 or 6 year old.  Contracts at our school also can be postponed so if you have to miss a month or two or six for some reason, if you let them know, it pushes your end date out that far.  One of the men who does class with us goes out of the country for 3 months every summer.  They postpone his contract that much every year.

Yes. Contracts are also a lot different if they're voluntary to save money (e.g. 12 months for the price of 9) versus mandatory. 

The studio my sons go to doesn't have a contract. You just sign up every 9 weeks, no big deal. 

I also don't like those studios that promise a black belt in a certain amount of time.  I remember my niece and nephew getting a 'black belt' at age 9 & 10 after 2 years of study.  Umm... nope.

A lot of schools will let you visit, take a month free (or a lesson), etc.  That might help him get an idea of what art he wants to study.  I would be wary of any school where the head instructor did not seem accessible.

My family has taken Taekwondo for years.  My husband is a master instructor, and my eldest son and I are both second degree black belts (though I no longer practice as my hips are aging badly).  Things I would look for:

1.  A school which encourages all students, not just the athletic ones.  Fifty year old out of shape women, kids with disabilities, really little guys.  All of these are good signs that the school is healthy.  One of my favorite people at my son's school is an adult black belt with Downs Syndrome.  Sweet guy, but he's also very fully integrated into the class, which says a lot. 

2. The head instructor teaches the white belts.  Look for a school where even the low belts have great teachers and you can be sure of the same with the high belts.  That's a school that cares about teaching.

3.  Junior black belts assist with the classes.  Schools that care about raising up leaders will be a place you want to be.

4.  Schools that will tell you where to get a good deal on equipment.  Most schools sell pads, boards, etc.  But some schools offer those things as a convenience (yay) and others will nickel and dime you to death!  Our master instructor knew we got our breaking boards half price online, no secrets there.  He also didn't mind when not everyone's gear matched the school logo gear.  We did all have school uniforms, that's expected, but not everything had to come through the school.

Every school will tell you about their champions, but look carefully for the environment they are building.  If there is a lot of teaching about respect, the culture behind the art, family, etc. you'll be a lot happier with the overall instruction.

And don't overlook your local YMCA.  A lot of good instructors go there to teach when they are just starting out on their own.

• Like 2

www.ataonline.com is a great place to search for TaeKwonDo schools in your area. I agree with the previous poster that the instructor sets the tone. There are many martial arts options in our areas but this instructor fit us best. my DD13 has been doind TKD with him for 10 years and my DD7 is now training too!

I have to put this out there, but Korea does not recognize the ATA as an official taekwondo organization.  That is not to say that they are bad or anything, but I just wanted you to know if you want a Korean recognized black belt certificate.  They do recognize the ATF, ITF, and WTF.

We chose a dojang that offered a great family rate and a homeschool class during the day. 

• Like 1

A lot of schools will let you visit, take a month free (or a lesson), etc.  That might help him get an idea of what art he wants to study.  I would be wary of any school where the head instructor did not seem accessible.

My family has taken Taekwondo for years.  My husband is a master instructor, and my eldest son and I are both second degree black belts (though I no longer practice as my hips are aging badly).  Things I would look for:

1.  A school which encourages all students, not just the athletic ones.  Fifty year old out of shape women, kids with disabilities, really little guys.  All of these are good signs that the school is healthy.  One of my favorite people at my son's school is an adult black belt with Downs Syndrome.  Sweet guy, but he's also very fully integrated into the class, which says a lot. 

2. The head instructor teaches the white belts.  Look for a school where even the low belts have great teachers and you can be sure of the same with the high belts.  That's a school that cares about teaching.

3.  Junior black belts assist with the classes.  Schools that care about raising up leaders will be a place you want to be.

4.  Schools that will tell you where to get a good deal on equipment.  Most schools sell pads, boards, etc.  But some schools offer those things as a convenience (yay) and others will nickel and dime you to death!  Our master instructor knew we got our breaking boards half price online, no secrets there.  He also didn't mind when not everyone's gear matched the school logo gear.  We did all have school uniforms, that's expected, but not everything had to come through the school.

Every school will tell you about their champions, but look carefully for the environment they are building.  If there is a lot of teaching about respect, the culture behind the art, family, etc. you'll be a lot happier with the overall instruction.

And don't overlook your local YMCA.  A lot of good instructors go there to teach when they are just starting out on their own.

My dd is a 2nd degree black belt and competed in worlds in Spain.  We do ITF Taekwon-do.  I agree with everything above.  

I really like the ITF organization - we've been to competitions all over the place and know a few of the masters (one was dd's first teacher) and everyone is very committed to seeing everyone improve in skill and enjoy Taekwon-do. I love the focus on development and on leadership and that comes through in the competitions as well where you see teen black belts cheering on the little white and yellow belt kids and really supporting them.  All of the schools we've attended have encouraged kids to come to as many classes per week as possible (just one flat fee) because it's about their development, not about squeezing more money out of people.  Tournaments have been very reasonable to attend and there were never any major fees associated with testing - I think we paid $40 per test.  

• Like 1

A lot of schools will let you visit, take a month free (or a lesson), etc. That might help him get an idea of what art he wants to study. I would be wary of any school where the head instructor did not seem accessible.

My family has taken Taekwondo for years. My husband is a master instructor, and my eldest son and I are both second degree black belts (though I no longer practice as my hips are aging badly). Things I would look for:

1. A school which encourages all students, not just the athletic ones. Fifty year old out of shape women, kids with disabilities, really little guys. All of these are good signs that the school is healthy. One of my favorite people at my son's school is an adult black belt with Downs Syndrome. Sweet guy, but he's also very fully integrated into the class, which says a lot.

2. The head instructor teaches the white belts. Look for a school where even the low belts have great teachers and you can be sure of the same with the high belts. That's a school that cares about teaching.

3. Junior black belts assist with the classes. Schools that care about raising up leaders will be a place you want to be.

4. Schools that will tell you where to get a good deal on equipment. Most schools sell pads, boards, etc. But some schools offer those things as a convenience (yay) and others will nickel and dime you to death! Our master instructor knew we got our breaking boards half price online, no secrets there. He also didn't mind when not everyone's gear matched the school logo gear. We did all have school uniforms, that's expected, but not everything had to come through the school.

Every school will tell you about their champions, but look carefully for the environment they are building. If there is a lot of teaching about respect, the culture behind the art, family, etc. you'll be a lot happier with the overall instruction.

And don't overlook your local YMCA. A lot of good instructors go there to teach when they are just starting out on their own.

Thanks for this! As newbies to the martial arts world ourselves, it is nice to know what to look for in a school - and nice to see that ours meets every one of these criteria. :-)

• Like 1

Our excellent local studio (national headquarters, too, for this particular martial art) also ran beginning level classes at the local rec. center, so folks could try it out without feeling intimidated by the larger facility with all the practice dummies, weapons, etc.  The SAME experienced instructors taught those beginner classes as taught the advanced classes in the dojang.

I agree with everyone who said to ask around and see what is locally available and reputable.  No point researching and deciding to do judo, for example, if it is not available in your area. 

Most places want you to attend classes 3 - 4 times a week, so finding something reputable and close is important. 

• Like 1

we've done karate (very professional dojo.  bad fit for my aspie), have looked at akido (location sucked), and oom yung doe (great location, small class - aspie frustration).  I really liked the kung fu - they did one on one, but wanted six months payment upfront. I may end up there - because it is one on one and I really think my aspie would benefit from that.

if he wants to stick with things - and at his age, I would find one form and stick with it.  make sure the instructor is CERTIFIED by their parent organization in their whatever degree black belt they hold.

pay attention to class size.  what is the student instructor ratio?  how many instructors hold a bb?

how often are classes?

can you go to any class in a week - or must you stick with a particular one?

are things organized? 

how often do they expect you to purchase upgraded materials? (other than a gi)

and especially - how does the instructor handle the students?

• Like 1

I've been on google trying to find an old thread that had somebody's awesome list of things to look at in a martial arts school... and I can't find it.  Nuts.

It is a lot like looking for a church, because we'll spend a lot of time with those people.  My kid will respect and imitate them. 

Bad stuff I watch out for:

1.  Aggression.  The teacher should not aggress the students as a form of discipline (Seriously!!).  Nor should he or she encourage aggression by students toward the outside world (a la the bad guy in Karate Kid; again, entirely seriously.)

2.  Stupid risks.  I don't want to see the instructors get carried away and one of them get some ribs cracked during my first class.

3.  Money grubbing/long-term contracts.  I respect a teacher that lets students go when they are done; it shows a faith in their program to keep folks interested.

This can also show up in fees for testing, requiring gear with the school or style's logo on it, etc. 

4.  Very young instructors.  Folks get hurt that way, just because younger instructors make mistakes.

5.  Very young black belts.

6.  Talk about "making it" or "getting there": a rush to reach black belt.  I didn't return my dd to a school where the owner was ranting at the kids class, "You have to want it!  You have to work like you want it!"  They were yellow belts and about 10 years old.  The parents were comparing notes in the watch room on what extra tutoring their kid should pay extra to get so she can "get there".  Nope, nope, nope.

7.  A disrespectful attitude toward other styles of martial art.  They are, of course, teaching the style they like best, but they shouldn't say their style would beat any other in a street fight.  There is NO style that will beat all others in a street fight.  No one but Chuck Norris can do that.  :p

8.  A sense of disrespectful competition inside the school.  Teen and adult classmates should be enjoying each other's fellowship, even when sparring.

9.  A lack of diversity, or a disparity between the school and the surrounding community.  That can be caused by pricing that makes minorities unable to pay for the classes, or it can indicate an actual prejudice situation. 

10.  A sense that the instructor doesn't like or respect the students.  This isn't boot camp; it just isn't. 

Anyway, there's my $.10.  I hope you find something awesome, and I bet you will!  There are a lot of good schools out there.

• Like 2

I've been on google trying to find an old thread that had somebody's awesome list of things to look at in a martial arts school... and I can't find it.  Nuts.

Was it this thread that you were looking for?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/538816-thinking-of-enrolling-gentle-son-11-years-old-in-a-martial-arts-class/

• Like 2

The others have given you a lot of good advice.  I'd also encourage you to consider your goals for taking martial arts.  Do you want your dc to get more exercise and to get in better physical shape?  Some schools incorporate much more general physical training than others.  Do you want your dc to have competition opportunities?  Some schools encourage participation in tournaments, while others do not.  Do you want your dc to learn simple self-defense moves?  Some schools put a lot of focus on practical self defense, while others focus almost completely on forms.  Do you want your dc to learn to fight to defend themselves?  Make sure sparring is a regular part of the program and that the technique is taught well, even to the youngest students.  Do you want your dc to learn self-control and self-discipline?  Watch classes and ask around to find your best options.

• Like 1