Menu

Clover Creek Physics?

How important do you think the live class part of this class is? Because of our time zone my student would miss out on it.

It's not essential because Jetta puts up the completed class notes at the end of class. I think we had to miss out on a couple of classes, but I printed out the class notes so that DD could review them before the tests.

You all have ME wanting to take Jetta's course! Can I reserve a spot for my DD for 2017-18? Just kidding...that takes advance-planning to the EXTREME!

Never too early to plan. It is value for money :lol:

My kid's B&M physics class cost almost 7 times more.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How important do you think the live class part of this class is? Because of our time zone my student would miss out on it.

The live class is optional. I will be encouraging my son to attend, but I'm assuming one can opt out.

It seems as though there will be a lot of 13/14 year old boys. :)

"most students regularly attend the online sessions and find them helpful…but they are NOT REQUIRED. I want to clearly emphasize that. You may decide to attend all of them or only the ones right before a test or none of them. The online class meetings are purely optional."

I copied this from the information that I received when I registered for the class.

It's my son's favorite class. He loves physics. Plus, Jetta is a truly caring and gifted teacher. Bottom line is its a great opportunity to learn physics.

。

Will Luke take another physics course later on?

Generally, if you take Clover Creek physics, do you count it as one HS credit and won't need another physics course? I am still thinking that since ds13 is taking this as an 8th grader, I will have him take a higher physics class in 11th grade. By then he will be taking DE classes.

Edited by JadeOrchidSong
  • Like 1

。

Generally, if you take Clover Creek physics, do you count it as one HS credit and won't need another physics course? I am still thinking that since ds13 is taking this as an 8th grader, I will have him take a higher physics class in 11th grade. By then he will be taking DE classes.

I'm not really sure yet.  He may just take college level calculus based physics for his next Physics course.  There are pros and cons to taking three similar physics courses as in the 101 basics.  There are many other physics courses beyond that level which are interesting options.  What's important to take twice I think is Calculus - once in High School, once in college, for reinforcement.

My physics geek took a conceptual course in 8th grade and then his next physics course was cal based physics DE through our local university. My chemE and physics guys also did not repeat cal. It really is going to depend on your students and how well they master the material.

My dd will be taking conceptual physics next yr. She thinks she wants to be a meteorologist which requires a lot of physics. She is not as math or science oriented as her brothers, still making high As in Foerster's, but far less intuitive. (She is pure artsy, so we'll see if meteorology sticks.) I am guessing repeating would be a good decision for her.

• 5 months later...

The morning messages are ingenious. I think that should be the standard for all online courses. (A massive amount of work went into those, that much is obvious.)

ITA! I also really love the weekly snapshot emails. This is our first online class and it has been just wonderful.

Chemistry next year would be amazing!

• Like 1

My daughter did Clover Creek physics last year and enjoyed the lab projects so much (especially that egg drop!) that she decided to pursue mechanical engineering.

She's loving her MechE classes this semester (she already had all of her general ed requirements out of the way because of dual enrollment), is an Engineering Week ambassador for the university, and she's on the lunarbiotics team, where they build space mining robots for a NASA competition.

So I have *really* high praise for Jetta's course! My "I'm not sure what I want to do with my life" teen decided "THIS is what I want to do!" thanks to Jetta. :D

• Like 12

My daughter did Clover Creek physics last year and enjoyed the lab projects so much (especially that egg drop!) that she decided to pursue mechanical engineering.

She's loving her MechE classes this semester (she already had all of her general ed requirements out of the way because of dual enrollment), is an Engineering Week ambassador for the university, and she's on the lunarbiotics team, where they build space mining robots for a NASA competition.

So I have *really* high praise for Jetta's course! My "I'm not sure what I want to do with my life" teen decided "THIS is what I want to do!" thanks to Jetta. :D

Dd remembers your daughter and was in fact 2 weeks ago wondering how she was doing in college studying mechanical engineering.

• Like 2

Wow, that is an awesome testimonial!!

Where is your DD in school?  Just asking because my DS is interested in mechanical engineering and robotics.

I also wanted to give an update on our Clover Creek physics class.  DD13 has found the class challenging yet rewarding.  DD is structured and organized, so she is comforted with the weekly emails and morning messages.  Our daughter works 45 to 90 minutes depending on the daily workload.  Jetta has put a ton of time into this course and it shows.  We've taken a fair amount of online classes, and I've found Jetta's to be among the best - in terms of content, instruction and support.  

• Like 5

I also wanted to give an update on our Clover Creek physics class. DD13 has found the class challenging yet rewarding. DD is structured and organized, so she is comforted with the weekly emails and morning messages. Our daughter works 45 to 90 minutes depending on the daily workload. Jetta has put a ton of time into this course and it shows. We've taken a fair amount of online classes, and I've found Jetta's to be among the best - in terms of content, instruction and support.

My son is trying to figure out as I type how to make his RC vehicle go at s constant speed. What he needs to be doing is a test, but lab appears more fun.

• Like 1

It's suppose to go at a constant speed, but we are having trouble.

My kids' Spy Gear Spy Video Car VX-6 and Meccano-Erector - Turbo - Radio Control Racing Cars gets pseudo constant speed. Their Remote Control Thunder Tumbler Cars on the other hand died on Black Friday from playing all night, and that one does not have constant speed.

• Like 1

It's suppose to go at a constant speed, but we are having trouble.

For science labs in general, my kids have lots of practice explaining why results deviate from expectations since elementary school :lol: My kids end up being very familiar with random and systematic errors

My kids had lots of fun with Clover Creek Physics lab, my younger boy was older boy's lab assistant most of the time. Enjoy.

• Like 1

I'm not really sure yet.  He may just take college level calculus based physics for his next Physics course.  There are pros and cons to taking three similar physics courses as in the 101 basics.  There are many other physics courses beyond that level which are interesting options.  What's important to take twice I think is Calculus - once in High School, once in college, for reinforcement.

This is probably our plan too.

Quick question. How long per day/ week did it take Luke for this class? My dd will be a young-ish eighth grader next year. (She'll be in geometry).

Looking ahead. We have a hard stop time because of music and sports. :o)

This is probably our plan too.

Quick question. How long per day/ week did it take Luke for this class? My dd will be a young-ish eighth grader next year. (She'll be in geometry).

Looking ahead. We have a hard stop time because of music and sports. :o)

I want to say about 1 -1.5 hours per day give or take.  Some days were longer when lab work was done.  Also, our son likes to really ponder over things he's interested in.  So he tended at times to drag his math and science courses out.  I created several threads on this last year with some great suggestions to help with time management.  But to make a long story short, we may not be the best metric because of this.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The physics class met live, online today and I just had to share. 

The class was preparing for a two chapter test and all I heard from our DD were giggles and laughter...."Oh, my word, I'm so going to fail this one!  Ms Jetta said these chapters were the most conceptually difficult!"  And she was right!"   But our daughter's words weren't said with dread, fear or anger.  They were said with such a light heart, no panic.  DD knows she has to study, but if she studies, everything will be fine.  After class, our girl's eyes were sparkling, she grabbed a sandwich and went off to study. 

As a homeschool mom, who questions everything (and I know I'm not alone), I was in tears thinking how fortunate we are....to be homeschooling....to have found a fabulous teacher (thank you Ms Jetta!)....and to have a kiddo who appreciates a challenge and works hard.  

For just a moment, all was good within our little world!  

• Like 9

• 1 year later...

Ok, so when does Clover Creek open for registration each spring? I’ve read this thread (linked from a more recent thread) and am so sad that my dd has already missed out on this class for next school year. Any chance Jetta will add another section?

Ok, so when does Clover Creek open for registration each spring? I’ve read this thread (linked from a more recent thread) and am so sad that my dd has already missed out on this class for next school year. Any chance Jetta will add another section?

We missed as well :(

Email her. She won’t open another section, but she might put you on the notification list for next year.

• Like 1

just a heads up--ds15 is in his 2nd semester of this class, and it is by far his favorite class. Jetta is WONDERFUL and truly makes the students feel competent, able and welcome. The class is challenging without being ridiculously so, and my son always gets the work done in advance--not typical for him--he really loves the class. For those of you who are taking it next year, your child will love it.

• Like 4