Menu

a-g requirements for California UC/State schools

Does any of the Well Trained Mind academy classes or textbooks or online classes recommended by TWTM meet A-G requirements? Here is what a-g is below. We are with a charter school that follows a-g 

The intent of the “a-g†subject requirements is to ensure that students have attained a body of general knowledge that will provide breadth and perspective to new, more advanced study.

Courses from California high schools and online schools used to satisfy the "a-g" subject requirements must be approved by UC and appear on the institution's "a-g" course list. These courses are to be academically challenging, involving substantial reading, writing, problems and laboratory work (as appropriate), and show serious attention to analytical thinking, factual content and developing students' oral and listening skills.

The subject requirement
  • History/social science (“aâ€) â€“ Two years, including one year of world history, cultures and historical geography and one year of U.S. history, or one-half year of U.S. history and one-half year of  American government or civics.
  • English (“bâ€) â€“ Four years of college preparatory English that integrates reading of classic and modern literature, frequent and regular writing, and practice listening and speaking.
  • Mathematics (“câ€) â€“ Three years of college-preparatory mathematics that include or integrate the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry.
  • Laboratory science (“dâ€) â€“ Two years of laboratory science providing fundamental knowledge in at least two of the three disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
  • Language other than English (“eâ€) â€“ Two years of the same language other than English or equivalent to the second-level of high school instruction.
  • Visual and performing arts (“fâ€) â€“ One year chosen from dance, drama/theater, music or visual art.
  • College-preparatory elective (“gâ€) â€“ One year chosen from the “a-f†courses beyond those used to satisfy the requirements above, or courses that have been approved solely in the elective area.
A-G Course Criteria

California high schools, online schools and designated programs and publishers can submit their courses to UC for “a-g†approval using the A-G Course Management Portal (CMP). Approval is based on the course meeting the following subject-specific course criteria established by the UC faculty:

Once approved, the course is added to the institution's "a-g" course list. To satisfy the "a-g" subject requirements, the course must appear on the institution's course list for the year the student took the course.

I don't know of any online classes, other than Scout (and I don't know if those are live or async), that provides approved/official a-g classes. 

If you're with a charter, your student can study a subject, using one of the a-g approved textbooks on your charter's list, and complete & submit certain "key assignments" to get a-g credit for the subject. If you do that, that course will be labeled "a-g Biology" or "a-g Geometry" or whatever on your student's transcript.

If you find an online course that teaches the subject using that a-g approved textbook, your student could take the online course. As long as he completes the "key assignments," including a midterm and final, and submits them to the charter as documentation, the charter will label the course as an a-g xxx course on the transcript. The charter only really cares that the student used an approved text and completed the required assignments, not whether the parent, or a tutor, or an online instructor, or an alien from Mars taught the subject.

If you're an independent home schooler, I think you can use the Scout courses to claim a-g credit, but I'm not sure. I don't know of any other way to get a-g credit as a home schooler. It's a real pain, even using a charter, and I've come to think that it really is not worth it.

• Like 2

We are in California attending a independent study charter school and I homeschool stepdaughters so I have no choice but use a charter school for legal reasons. Everything about it has been pretty miserable the last couple of years. This year the worse. The only perk has been the financial help which our family has greatly needed. 

I love using TWTM rigors however the charter school and the public school standards are killing it all as well as killing my love of homeschooling. 

I am trying to look forward to the high school years and I was until I looked at the charter school high school requirements of a-g courses and required textbooks. UGH. 

My daughters will be entering 8th grade next year but trying to look at my options and seeing if I can do any of the subjects TWTM rigors at all. 

I am tempted to just forgo a-g and say all kids are going to community college and forget about UC /state scholarships just so we don't get locked into the horrible classes and text expectations. 

I mean they are requiring foreign language what at least 2 yrs and 3yrs of science lab courses but my ES says she would not suggest sending girls to a community college until they were over 16yrs (not sure of her gender bias-she had sons) but maybe because we live in the SF Bay Area. Who knows but I had plans to send them to jr college in high school to take some college courses. Anyone in the SF bay area send their 15 yrs old daughters to jr college and not have it be a problem? 

We are in California attending a independent study charter school and I homeschool stepdaughters so I have no choice but use a charter school for legal reasons. Everything about it has been pretty miserable the last couple of years. This year the worse. The only perk has been the financial help which our family has greatly needed. 

I love using TWTM rigors however the charter school and the public school standards are killing it all as well as killing my love of homeschooling. 

I am trying to look forward to the high school years and I was until I looked at the charter school high school requirements of a-g courses and required textbooks. UGH. 

My daughters will be entering 8th grade next year but trying to look at my options and seeing if I can do any of the subjects TWTM rigors at all. 

I am tempted to just forgo a-g and say all kids are going to community college and forget about UC /state scholarships just so we don't get locked into the horrible classes and text expectations. 

I mean they are requiring foreign language what at least 2 yrs and 3yrs of science lab courses but my ES says she would not suggest sending girls to a community college until they were over 16yrs (not sure of her gender bias-she had sons) but maybe because we live in the SF Bay Area. Who knows but I had plans to send them to jr college in high school to take some college courses. Anyone in the SF bay area send their 15 yrs old daughters to jr college and not have it be a problem? 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

We homeschooled in San Jose. Both of my dds began taking classes at the jr. college when they were 14yo. I graduated both on their 16th birthdays, because by then they were almost full-time students and it seemed silly not to graduate them. :-)

Older dd decided to enroll in the jr. college's cosmetology school when she was 16. She graduated from that and worked for a year or so as a stylist, then went back to the jr. college and graduated, then transferred to San Jose State, where she graduated with a BA in English lit. She worked her way through college and graduated debt-free. Some years later she thought she might like to be an attorney and took the LSAT; although she got a decent score, she decided that she liked doing hair and continued in that field. She's doing pretty well: she and her dh bought a house in Seattle based on her income.

Younger dd graduated from the jr. college with multiple degrees; she decided not to go to San Jose State because she only wanted to be a dance major, and some of the required shows are pretty racey, and she just couldn't bring herself to do that. However, if she wants to go back at any time, she can.

Community college transfer students are guaranteed to be admitted to Cal State/UC schools, ahead of high school grads, regardless of whether they even went to high school at all. The scholarship moneys might not be there; OTOH, there will only be two years of college to pay for, not four, so there is that.

• Like 2

[quote name="Ellie" post="6204591" timestamp="

Community college transfer students are guaranteed to be admitted to Cal State/UC schools, ahead of high school grads, regardless of whether they even went to high school at all. The scholarship moneys might not be there; OTOH, there will only be two years of college to pay for, not four, so there is that.

You aren't guaranteed admissions to UCLA, UC Berkley, and UC San Diego. Also depending on the major you choose, the transfer can be diffcult (engineering for example). Just throwing it out there in case any the OP is looking for any of those schools.

• Like 6

You aren't guaranteed admissions to UCLA, UC Berkley, and UC San Diego. Also depending on the major you choose, the transfer can be diffcult (engineering for example). Just throwing it out there in case any the OP is looking for any of those schools.

Transfer students are guaranteed to be admitted...if their majors are not impacted. They might have to start at a campus that isn't their favorite and transfer to that one when it's possible.

• Like 1

Roadrunner is absolutely correct. Transferring is not easy or guaranteed for most science majors and most engineering majors and maybe others. Also some schools are significantly harder to get into as a transfer student than others are.

And some schools will take four years to graduate even with two years of community college. This would be because there are courses that must be taken in a certain order at the school that can not be transferred in. I am thinking of California Martime Academy here. There are majors there that have Coast Guard linked classes that must be taken in order and due to the number of them completion in less than four years is not possible.

• Like 4

Transfer students are guaranteed to be admitted...if their majors are not impacted. They might have to start at a campus that isn't their favorite and transfer to that one when it's possible.

This is no longer the case in schools I listed.

If you don't believe me, this is about IC San Diego.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/01/ucsd-ends-community-college-transfer-program/

• Like 5

Thoughts: I took classes at College of Marin at 15. I had absolutely no problems, but COM is pretty suburban. Your local school may be different.

Even without TAG agreements, lots and lots of students successfully transfer to UC Berkeley, UCLA etc. I knew tons of them at Berkeley. California community colleges will tell you exactly which classes will transfer to CSUs and UCs, so with proper planning going to community college first need not slow down your degree.

It isn't perfect, but for all it's faults, I'm pretty proud of the California higher education system.

• Like 3

We are Sonoma County--SF North Bay--and have used charters for 3 out of 4 kids. The documentation requirements and need to follow state-approved study plans (esp. a-g reqts.) are far more constraining in high school than in K-8. In our charter we also found that the method they used to make a class college prep (rather than basic graduation level) didn't mesh well at all with the rest of the class requirements. The "CP" stuff was additional online chat and extra assignments that didn't consider how their assignments overlapped with those in the basic class.DD -- who admittedly moves slowly through dense material and was intimidated by the chat format of the CP stuff -- got very stressed out. The problem, as you perceive, is that deciding not to do CP for just one class really means deciding you will go to community college because missing even ONE A-G requirement will kick you out of consideration for all the CA state schools. The CP classes that were on campus 2 days a week were fine, because the college prep level stuff was part of the whole class plan, not stuck on loosely like a gauze patch.

I think a 15yo at CC would be OK if you were there for timely drop off/speedy pickup. It's the extra time on campus that can be difficult. In my son's case (he was almost 17 when he went to CC after taking CHSPE), he had to find a place to spend time between classes and learn to ride the bus home--dh dropped him off in the mornings on the way to work. But if it was a daughter, I would make a plan to pick her up asap, at least at first.

• Like 1

Curious about this comment.  I have a son interested in engineering.  We are looking at doing CC then transfer to either Davis or Berkley.  Can you tell me anything about that route?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

• Like 1

Curious about this comment.  I have a son interested in engineering.  We are looking at doing CC then transfer to either Davis or Berkley.  Can you tell me anything about that route?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

Not Roadrunner but I recently attended an admissions talk at Berkeley and it was mentioned that Engineering is one of the tougher schools to transfer into. This FAQ for UCB Engineering might be helpful.

• Like 3

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

I don't know details either, but I know those are competitive degrees and being a transfer makes it that much harder. 

Take a look at UCSD page. They consider engineering "an impacted" major and want freshmen applicants to specify their intended major.

All engineering majors are impacted. Applicants must indicate an engineering major as their first choice on their UC application in order to be considered for acceptance to the major by the UC San Diego Office of Admissions.

You might try having them choose the same classes, at least for their first semester. That way they will be together (safety in numbers!). I have a few friends with teen girls in CC at earlier ages. My guess is they drop and pick up promptly and/ or their CCs are in safe-ish areas. DS is still a tween and his CC is in the Bay Area. I drop him off and he often navigates classes on his own but so far the parking lots are very close to his buildings and he only has a short walk to take (usually where I drop him, I can see him most of the way). He carries a cell phone (we have practiced how to use it and turn to mute while in class etc), plus we have also practiced where to meet after class, what to do in an emergency etc. He is also very tall and people often mistake him for an older teen, or they just ignore him.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for your responses. My girls even though they are 13yrs look and act like 9 or 10yrs even though academically right on par. Tiny things and we live in the East Bay. They would be going to Chabot in Hayward. So CC is not looking very promising for them anytime time soon unless I drive them towards Fremont or San Ramon/Pleasanton/Livermore. Regardless it will be awhile before I feel comfortable letting them go to class there. Maybe I can audit classes with them but then I don;t know what I would do with the little ones. I wish I can put time on hold and let them grow a bit more before HS came along. 

• Like 2

The short answer is no.

The WTM academy classes would have to submit a syllabus to the state of California and they haven't done that. That doesn't mean the courses are valuable just that WTM hasn't decided to jump through that hoop.

I think they would also have to be accredited, no?

• Like 1

Safety-wise: I started at Las Positas at 15, and they would be perfectly safe there. I would never send a minor child to Chabot, and would strongly discourage even adult women from attending evening classes there. Keeping them together in classes is very good advice, and what I plan to do with mine down the road.

Given what you consider to be their substantial immaturity, though, I'm not sure why you're considering it. I know you want to meet high school requirements, but DE is supposed to be for academically advanced, mature high school students, not (to borrow your phrasing) 13 year-olds who act like 9-10 year-olds and are working at grade level.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for your responses. My girls even though they are 13yrs look and act like 9 or 10yrs even though academically right on par. Tiny things and we live in the East Bay. They would be going to Chabot in Hayward. So CC is not looking very promising for them anytime time soon unless I drive them towards Fremont or San Ramon/Pleasanton/Livermore. Regardless it will be awhile before I feel comfortable letting them go to class there. Maybe I can audit classes with them but then I don;t know what I would do with the little ones. I wish I can put time on hold and let them grow a bit more before HS came along. 

Agreeing with your bolded and go_go_gadget. If they are acting younger than their age, regardless of academic ability, I would wait for CC. Even if they are in classes together, there is a lot more to do than sit in class and take notes/ understand the material. They will need to communicate with instructors, navigate classes and manage their time, work on projects in groups with classmates across age groups etc.

Online classes from the CC might be an option to avoid the social challenges...but again, maturity will still be needed.

Have you look at UCScout? Those are a-g approved

http://www.ucscout.org/courses

"Scout from University of California is a full-service online learning platform for high school students interested in Advanced Placement, Honors, credit recovery, or “a-g†college prep courses. "

Have you enrolled in any of these? I can't tell if they are video based, text based, totally self-contained, or what.  I feel like the website does a poor job of explaining the course and doesn't offer any samples. I'm interested, but how do I find out more about the course format, etc?

In some ways they are very mature and other ways not mature. They are small for their age but also very bright. You show them something once aND with maybe 2 to three practice problems and they got it. But then retention is an issue. They forget it just as quickly as they get it sometimes. One knows how to find baking recipes online and bake it themselves. The other loves code academy but to go up to a counter and ask for the bathroom is another thing. Severe social anxiety. So they are quite capable of cc work but sociAL aspects unsure.

Have you enrolled in any of these? I can't tell if they are video based, text based, totally self-contained, or what.  I feel like the website does a poor job of explaining the course and doesn't offer any samples. I'm interested, but how do I find out more about the course format, etc?

There is a brief review here from a homeschool mom.

Scroll down to addendum. I've heard from 2 sources on the grapevine so far that the courses are as dry as dust.

• Like 4

There is a brief review here from a homeschool mom.

Scroll down to addendum. I've heard from 2 sources on the grapevine so far that the courses are as dry as dust.

Thanks Quark, that's very helpful. Since we're homeschooling independently, I don't see Scout giving us any advantage, so I feel free to pick the best online option. It doesn't seem like they are it, necessarily. I'm leaning toward using Carnegie's OLI as a backbone for our Biology course. I like that it lets you see all the class material before you commit!

• Like 3

Does anyone know if dvc or Las posits better?

My son has taken classes at both. DVC seems a lot bigger, with more classes & sections, so it's easier to get the classes you want. He took a class at DVC's San Ramon campus last summer, and it was accepted by UC Berkeley as fulfilling one of his distribution requirements. My other son wants to take multivariable calculus this summer; because of budget cuts, LPC offers only basic courses (Calc 1 etc.) over the summers now. DVC has three sections of multivariable in the summer, but we decided that the drive would be too draining (class is held four or five days a week, so 2h in the car every day for a fast-paced class with tons of homework every day would be too much!).

Just anecdotally, although we live closer to LPC, we know many students who claim that DVC is better and they are willing to make the drive up there. My son did take quite a few classes at LPC (diff eq's, etc.) and had an absolutely fabulous instructor. And as a PP mentioned, the campus is idyllic (set among vineyards, but right off the freeway; you can also get to it via winding country roads through ranchland) with absolutely no crime, unlike some local CCs that are in the midst of a city. 

I didn't see this thread until today, but I will mention some other relevant things -- my son was accepted to every UC he applied to without any "approved" a-g courses, but with the testing verification; he cleared most of the 7 areas via testing or CC/CSU courses (chart is here). This route is good for kids who either test well or have access to CC/CSU courses.

I've posted about this before on this board, but we decided early on not to worry about fulfilling a-g requirements; we had friends who were homeschooling through charter schools, and the so-called a-g courses were a complete and utter joke. AND all the hoop-jumping killed their kids' love of learning. My son ended up (almost by accident) fulfilling all the a-g subject areas except fine arts and history. (He could easily have taken an SAT subject test in history; he just never got around to it.* And he had dance and music activities, but they weren't a-g, HQT, etc.)

* ETA: Actually I just remembered -- my son did take the AP exams for both Comp Gov and U.S. Gov, which together satisfy one year of the two-year history requirement. So he halfway satisfied area "a." And not to give the wrong impression -- although we didn't worry about a-g, or let it influence which classes and exams he sat for, we did want to verify my son's "mommy grades," AND my son tests well and even enjoys the challenge of exams -- so in other areas he fulfilled the UC requirements several times over, by every possible route except IB, haha. For math ("c"), for example, he had high scores on the SAT, SAT math level 2 subject test, AP Calc BC & Statistics, and CC and CSU (upper-div) courses. For English ("b"), he had high scores on the SAT, SAT Writing section,  SAT English lit subject test, and AP English Lang exam. So, as a PP says, you can ignore a-g, but without many exams/CC, UCs (except Riverside) may not be an option. I pictured my son at a smaller, private school, but he picked a UC and loves it. Go Bears! :D

About transferring to a UC -- we know many homeschooled kids who are full-time at DVC; they started as DE students. With a 4.0 they "expect" to be able to transfer to Berkeley. Every year, of course, it gets a little harder; as a PP said, Berkeley and UCLA pulled out of the guaranteed-transfer program a while ago (within recent memory), and apparently UCSD has joined them. (These are the schools that are able to attract heaps of applicants from out-of-state and overseas, who pay much more, helping to make up for decreased state funding, thus leaving fewer spaces for in-state applicants.) Anyway, there are plenty of transfer students, even in engineering (these are large schools!), but a high GPA is needed. There are many discussions about transferring to Berkeley on their College Confidential page. (Well, I thought there were; I always bleep over them, and now that I'm looking for them I'm not seeing many, but one can search, of course.)

• Like 2

I have the same questions! They give almost NO information. dd can't take Precalc Trig at the uni next semester, it conflicts, so we're trying to decide on an alternative. I'd like her to have more resources than self study, but it definitely needs to be self-paced. 

<snip>  The other loves code academy but to go up to a counter and ask for the bathroom is another thing. Severe social anxiety. So they are quite capable of cc work but sociAL aspects unsure.

But it would be good for them To experience cc and may increase their confidence or or could be all bad. Just don't know.

Personally, I don't think dual enrollment is a great way to work on social skills, particularly for someone who is not only very young but has severe social anxiety. my dd started this past fall at 16, and I would say that it did increase her confidence in many ways. She was very motivated by grades, so DE gave her the incentive to push herself forward by speaking up in class, meeting one-on-one with the professor, and so on. But, keep in mind that she was never shy or socially anxious - she just has a tendency to hang back sometimes. 

I think doing all of this might overwhelm someone who still struggles with stuff like talking to employees in stores and asking for bathroom keys. dd has had 5 classes with 4 different professors so far, and none of them cut any slack for her being younger or DE. 

So, my advice would be to not COUNT on sending them, if their social anxiety does not improve. However, a lot can change in a year or two, so it certainly might become an option. 

As far as being small and looking younger - my dd is also tiny, she's about 4' 8". She gets about the same number of short jokes at college that she does anywhere else, lol. She's busty, so it's not likely that anyone would mistake her for a 9-yr-old, but she also generally dresses in a bit 'older' style on class days, and lots of fellow students never even realize she's younger/DE. 

• Like 1

My thirteen yrs old are very thin, not busty, barely hitting puberty, about 4'10" and their clothing style is young. Old Navy size 8 to 10. But they love how their braces make them older. Minimal signs of puberty hitting. Just a stinky middle school funk needing some deodorant.. So looks like DE or CC not an option any time soon. Sigh