Menu

Front loading W/D - detergent & fabric softener for sensitive skin?

Michele,

I just purchased an LG front end loader three months ago, so far we really love it. I believe that All makes a HE Free and Clear. I could be mistaken, but you just have to look to see what your store might have. Don't use non-HE detergent, it suds too much for a front end loader, and I think it probably impedes the ability of the machine to get the detergent out of the clothing. I use a Tide HE detergent, and they now make an HE clorox bleach. I haven't used any fabric softener in my LG, it's just not something we need around here (smell sensitivies, no allergies though).

I've been very happy with my LG, it really is easier on the clothes that my top loader, I have so much less lint in my dryer because of the way it washes. You can really tell a difference. It does take some getting used to, but I think you'll find it will wash more for you and do it more efficiently (water and electricity wise).

I know that Tide, ALL, and I think the Wal-mart store brand all come in HE types.

HTH,

Erin

Our washer went today, it's been going, but finally went. We've ordered a LG front loader, not a stackable, but regular W/D. It was larger and cheaper then the stackables. Space isn't an issue and we wouldn't have used them stacked anyway.

DS has very bady eczema. I'm not sure what "he" detergent to use or dryer sheets, vinegar, fabric softener?

Any other tips? Do you use a washer pan for these?

I'm nervous about this purchase as the drums look much smaller then the Whirlpool Cabrio we were looking at, even though it's similar cu foot. I can't imagine washing a comforter in one.

I can't help with the detergent sensitivity - but you will use so little detergent, maybe it will no longer be an issue?

And as for the size of your washer - you will be amazed at how much you can get in it. I've washed all the bedspreads here including a king size one. Now if the clothes would only fold themselves....:glare:

Michele,

I've been very happy with my LG, it really is easier on the clothes that my top loader, I have so much less lint in my dryer because of the way it washes. You can really tell a difference.

Isn't it amazing? I can't believe how little lint my dryer collects, even with towels.

I use:

7th Generation Free and Clear HE

Tide Free HE

Sun and Earth HE (I have to order this one)

They all seem to work pretty well. Dd has terrible eczema too. I use the 7th Gen for all bedding, underwear. I use Tide Free for tough stains. Sun and Earth I rotate for clothing with Tide Free.

sometimes he and sometimes regular, depending on what I find at the store. ;) I find they all work fine for me (maytags), but you do need a lot less so that is a big help. I found that I needed to dedicate a special measuring scoop of the right size to detergent to prevent kids, dh and the housekeeper from keeping on using so much more detergent than was needed.

One trick for sensitive skin for dh and for baby clothes, I always add the "extra rinse" cycle. That way, after the entire cycle it is all rinsed again. I think the extra rinsing matters more than the detergent itself for dh and dd.

I've had an LG front loader for about 4 years now and I won't use Tide anymore because even the HE seems to leave so much soap residue even when I cut back how much we used. I have a dd with really sensitive skin and we use Sun and Earth. I use 1oz of liquid detergent (the regular not the new 2x) and 1/2oz of their liquid fabric softener. This is plenty and our clothes come out beautifully. I use one of their dryer sheets (except with my towels) but won't use basic store dryer sheets (like bounce etc.) because they actually caused my dryer sensors to malfunction because of the build up of residue on the sensors. I cleaned them with vinegar really well about a year ago and haven't had any problems with the Sun and Earth sheets.

I do have to order S&E online but their website is great and they have free shipping on all orders over $50 unless you buy big 5gallon buckets. I've had a 300 oz jug for about 2 months now and it's still going strong.

You can check out their site here Sun and Earth I actually use all of their products for all my cleaning.

I use All HE Free & Clear, only about half the recommended amount. I also add baking soda or white vinegar to help the detergent rinse out and avoid the nasty smell issue.

I have the LG non-stackable washer, and it holds a lot of clothes - more than I expected when I first looked inside! I've washed queen-size comforters with no problems.

or the SA8 Sensitive.

I use only Amway products in my front loader. Also in any other washer I have ever used over the last 33 years.

We began using Amway laundry products when dd#1 was just a baby, because a friend told us they were good. I was very pleased with the results, especially when I realized that dh's rash, the one that was so bad he would wake me at night scratching :-o, had cleared up. The rash he'd had since high school, that one doctor told him was syphillis :-o

Dh can't use any other bath soap, either. I have to take Amway stuff (4-in-1 bath soap, Refreshing Body Wash, or even LOC), or with me on vacations; otherwise, he itches all over.

Do you have any idea what brings on his eczema? My dd has eczema, and now the baby does too. Pretty sure that dd's is mostly dairy-related. For the little guy, I'm not sure, but I am betting the same thing.

What detergent were you using before? I've had good luck with Shaklee, Amway and Melaleuca detergents. They all give instructions for using with a front loader. With Melaleuca, for example, you only need to use 1/2 oz. It really makes the detergent last, that's for sure!

All Free & Clear is a good one too. Tide also makes an HE free & clear.

Michele,

I believe that All makes a HE Free and Clear.

HTH,

Erin

All does make a free and clear in the HE version. Check your current label though. I know that the Trader Joes detergent can be used in the front loaders, you just use half the amount as you did before.

I love my front loader. It does require periodic cleaning to prevent mold in c crevices of the door. Small socks will end up in the crevices too so make sure you check in there if you have little ones.

I've had my LG front loader for about 2 months now and I love it! I didn't think it looked big enough either when I was deciding on a washer. I can wash my king size comforter in it plus it dries in my dryer much more quickly than any comforter I've ever washed in a washer. Plus, I am doing fewer loads in all because I can fit so much more in each load. I especially love programing a load to wash at 6 am to be finished and ready to go into the dryer when I wake up.

I also use All Free and clear but use about half as much as I did with my old top loader washer.

I can't help with the detergent sensitivity - but you will use so little detergent, maybe it will no longer be an issue?

And as for the size of your washer - you will be amazed at how much you can get in it. I've washed all the bedspreads here including a king size one. Now if the clothes would only fold themselves....:glare:

Same here just one tip, make sure nothing is caught in the door. I have washed my king comforter many times but one time accidently caught it in the lock or something on the door and it must have twisted it until it ripped. Didn't know until I went to put it in the dryer.

We have had our LG's for over 5 years and our warranty just went out. 2 days later the dryer and washer have issues, but dh ordered parts and now are just good as new. Isn't that weird though, no real problems till 2 days after warranty? It was minor stuff though. Well actually now that I say that we did have repairman out twice, I forgot the electrical panel went out on washer but when repair man was fixing, he noticed it was not plugged in all the way. He still put in new one, but old one was actually okay. He gave me some advice I'll put at end.

Okay, LG's are wonderful, and for those with sensitive skin you will need the extra rinse feature. I use vinegar for my fabric softener and dryer balls and my clothes are very soft and fluffy. I do have 6 dryer balls in my dryer, it really speeds things up.

Detergents can be tricky, if it is not HE labeled, use just a couple of tablespoons max for a load, if you are sudsing that is not good. I like the Sears brand HE Free, it has worked wonderful. I actually do not like going to Sears, but Consumer Reports rated their HE detergent so well, we switched over to it about 4 years ago. I like it as well as Tide HE which is saying alot as I like Tide Free very much.

And here is another tip that I am passing on from the LE Repairman. Leave your washing machine door open at night. He said it is very important that your washing machine be allowed to air out and stay dried out, not allowing mold to build up. This was a huge issue with other brands..not so much the LE or the front loaders being made now, BUT you do not want to just wash a load and shut the door, let it air out and dry. If you are wondering why, do a google search of mold build up in front loaders...air drying out will prevent this from happening to you. Mine has no mold build up at all and we are over 5 years. I love love love love love my LE washer and dryer!