Menu

Climbing Parnassus

Luanne

Who else on here has read this book?  I checked it out from the library and liked it so much that, even before I finished reading it, I chose to buy it.  It came today.  I know I will want to read it more than once and that is why I purchased it.

I've read it a couple of times, but it's been a while.

Reading CP is honestly what threw me completely into the Charlotte Mason deep end. CP puts educational philosophy into perspective like no other book.  I understand CM b/c I read CP, iykwim.

I think this should be required reading for every aspiring teacher in America, not b/c America needs to adapt a Latin/Greek centric curriculum but b/c American teachers need to THINK about educational philosophy deeply, widely, and before and after every other subject they learn...and certainly ed phil. should trump crowd control...but I digress onto soap boxes....

It's a great book.  Read it all the way through fast even if it's painful.  Then go back and read it again slowly, very slowly.  

It was one of my two failures as a homeschool parent!  I'd heard so many great things about it here on the boards.  I got it from the library and could not follow it at all.  I was terribly disappointed. It's been years, maybe 10, but the impression I am left with now is that it could have been written much more simply.

The other failure was Henty. That still makes me shudder.

It was one of my two failures as a homeschool parent!  I'd heard so many great things about it here on the boards.  I got it from the library and could not follow it at all.  I was terribly disappointed. It's been years, maybe 10, but the impression I am left with now is that it could have been written much more simply.

Consider This by Karen Glass

I read it a few years ago. It would have been too much early in our homeschool journey, I just wasn't there. I enjoyed it, certain sections resonated more with me 

Another few books along those lines are: The Intellectual Life  I only made it through part of this

And Quintilian On the teaching of Speaking and Writing I found a highly annotated version at a book sale. 

How to Read a Book  is something else you might enjoy if you haven't read it already. 

It sounds interesting.

I can't remember the name of the homeschooling book I couldn't get into even though quite a few hsers I knew gushed about it and said it was a must-read. It was something about nature study. Sometimes books just don't grab you for whatever reason.

ETA: It was Pocketful of Pinecones.

I read it a few years ago. It would have been too much early in our homeschool journey, I just wasn't there. I enjoyed it, certain sections resonated more with me 

Another few books along those lines are: The Intellectual Life  I only made it through part of this

And Quintilian On the teaching of Speaking and Writing I found a highly annotated version at a book sale. 

How to Read a Book  is something else you might enjoy if you haven't read it already. 

I love The Intellectual Life.  I had to buy a new copy because I wore the other one out from reading it so much.  :lol:

It spurred me on to reading more educational theory. That is what lead me to Neil Postman. Actually, now that I think of it, I would much rather reread some Postman than CP, lol.

I *LOVE* Neil Postman's writing and highly recommend The End of Education and Amusing Ourselves to Death. Fantastic books!

I *LOVE* Neil Postman's writing and highly recommend The End of Education and Amusing Ourselves to Death. Fantastic books!

I loved both of those.  I also enjoyed "Building a bridge to the 18th century."  I also really learned a lot from "Teaching as a Subversive Activity" and its companion "Teaching as a Conserving Activity."  The latter is harder to find for some reason.