Menu

Mirena IUD

Janie Grace

What side effects of the Mirena IUD have you experienced?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Choose all that apply:

• Acne
    • Weight gain
    • Weight loss
    • Nausea
    • Mood changes
    • Abnormal bleeding pattern
    • Breast tenderness
    • Migration of IUD from its normal position
    • Pelvic inflammatory disease
    • Other side effect (please explain)
    • I have experienced no side effects
  2. 2. The side effects were:

• Enough to make me discontinue use
    • Annoying but bearable (worth it to keep it in)
    • Non-existent, like I said!

My doctor is suggesting I get one of these for extremely heavy bleeding. I am wary -- I have never been on hormonal birth control and am pretty conservative about medicine in general. But she scared me a bit as to how serious heavy bleeding can become (ER, transfusion, etc). I am curious as to the side effects and how common they are. Please answer only if you have had a Mirena (not copper) IUD.

Are you of European descent?  If so, I would insist on having the test for factor V Leiden before you get this.  You don't want the way to find out that you have that mutation be that you get a blood clot.   In Northern European descent, it is about 10% of people having that factor and that greatly increases your risk of blood clots. 

Are you of European descent?  If so, I would insist on having the test for factor V Leiden before you get this.  You don't want the way to find out that you have that mutation be that you get a blood clot.   In Northern European descent, it is about 10% of people having that factor and that greatly increases your risk of blood clots. 

Wow, this is good to know. She also prescribed a medication to take until getting the IUD that helps your blood clot better, but one of the (rare) risks is a life-threatening clot. I am of Northern European descent.

while mirena deny's a connection - I was diagnosed with liver problems after it had been in for two years. after much research - I found a number of women who had the same experience.

I had it removed asap.  (my gyn said my insurance wouldn't pay for a removal and my annual at the same appointment.  I said take it out - I'll come back.  she was annoyed. I was left with the impression she didn't want to remove it.  do dr's get money for the patients to whom they prescribe its use?)

I have one. Had spotting the first few months, now I get a very light period, if at all. I tend to be anemic, so that has been a blessing. Some cramping and pain the first month, none after that. No other effects I've noticed. And I DID get back side effects from depo provera. The levels in the Mirena are tiny. 

I have had one almost 4-1/2 years now.  I do have a prothrombin II mutation (clotting), but my OB said this was not an issue as it is not systemic.  

I have had no major side effects, but basically I have very light spotting for a few days each month.  It's not predictable, though. Not sure if it's because of the Mirena or my age.

In general, I have not been a fan of hormonal BC before.

If you do get it, I recommend taking 800 mg of Advil before insertion.

while mirena deny's a connection - I was diagnosed with liver problems after it had been in for two years. after much research - I found a number of women who had the same experience.

I had it removed asap.  (my gyn said my insurance wouldn't pay for a removal and my annual at the same appointment.  I said take it out - I'll come back.  she was annoyed. I was left with the impression she didn't want to remove it.  do dr's get money for the patients to whom they prescribe its use?)

I have a friend that had the Mirena inserted and then got it removed rather soon afterward (the reason is irrelevant here) and the doctor was definitely irritated. She said something along the effect of "wasting time and money" (though not completely untrue). My friend was under the impression that she got a kickback, but that was just her impression. Both "procedures" were covered by insurance.

I have a very difficult time with the insertion process (it's a three ring circus to get it in properly for me). However, after that, my acne is improved, I have no cramps, and after a few months, not even any spotting.  During the last four months or so before it is due to be removed I will notice an increase in spotting and mild, mild cramps. My husband is completely willing to undergo a vasectomy, and I cannot take BC pills for health reasons. I'm benefitting from the Mirena enough that it was worth continuing. 

Are you of European descent? If so, I would insist on having the test for factor V Leiden before you get this. You don't want the way to find out that you have that mutation be that you get a blood clot. In Northern European descent, it is about 10% of people having that factor and that greatly increases your risk of blood clots.

Absolutely. In discussing options for after the birth of this baby my OB-GYN ruled out Mirena as an option because I have Factor V Leiden. He says it just isn't worth the risk.

My sister, who also has the mutation but was unaware (and was using govt assistance/free healthcare) developed a clot and serious complications:(. Of course, there is no way to know exactly why...but definitely have the test.

I have a very difficult time with the insertion process (it's a three ring circus to get it in properly for me). However, after that, my acne is improved, I have no cramps, and after a few months, not even any spotting.  During the last four months or so before it is due to be removed I will notice an increase in spotting and mild, mild cramps. My husband is completely willing to undergo a vasectomy, and I cannot take BC pills for health reasons. I'm benefitting from the Mirena enough that it was worth continuing. 

FYI, some doctors will do a cervical block, and use ultrasound to guide it. After a provider tried 3 freaking times to get mine in, VERY painfully, I called around. Asked nurses at the biggest office in town who was the best, as in, least painful, doctor to go to, does them the most, etc. They told me exactly who to schedule with. He used the ultrasound to visualize the uterus and cervix, then numbed my cervix totally, so I barely felt a thing. Totally different experience than with the other provider. 

My uterus is folded in half, basically, and it makes my cervix very hard to reach, so this was a big deal.

Absolutely. In discussing options for after the birth of this baby my OB-GYN ruled out Mirena as an option because I have Factor V Leiden. He says it just isn't worth the risk.

My sister, who also has the mutation but was unaware (and was using govt assistance/free healthcare) developed a clot and serious complications:(. Of course, there is no way to know exactly why...but definitely have the test.

Those with Factor V Leiden -- were you tested before you considered the Mirena (for that purpose) or did that come out in some other bloodwork you had done? I have never even heard of it and I'm a bit peeved my doc didn't mention this risk. I have a friend who died from a blood clot before she was 40.

She had a Mirena when she got the clot?

I am heterozygous for FVL.  I am on my second Mirena after having the first one for the full 5 yrs.  My understanding is that the low dose of progestin does not have a systemic impact.

I love love freaking love my mirena. I'm on my second one. Insertion was not a big deal. Cramping but not even bad enough to take anything. The worst part was the cervical wrestling she did as my uterus is tilted backward. I spotted for exactly 3 months (both times I got it) and then nothing. No periods. Glorious. My horrendous mood swings are gone. My PMS rage is gone. My heavy bleeding gone. My acne gone. It has been the best thing for me ever.

No clue about the clotting thing. I was never asked and I am Northern Europe decent.  

Those with Factor V Leiden -- were you tested before you considered the Mirena (for that purpose) or did that come out in some other bloodwork you had done? I have never even heard of it and I'm a bit peeved my doc didn't mention this risk. I have a friend who died from a blood clot before she was 40.

I actually think my factor V leiden results came back only when the fertility doctors were attempting to discover the cause of so many miscarriages in a row. But then my husband was also tested. It is just an easy blood test.

She had a Mirena when she got the clot?

I am heterozygous for FVL. I am on my second Mirena after having the first one for the full 5 yrs. My understanding is that the low dose of progestin does not have a systemic impact.

Yes. And obviously, we will never know the cause. It is my understanding that heterozygous factor V leiden does not preclude the implant, but CAN lead to increased risk. Homozygous more so...

I have a clotting disorder that was discovered after years on bc pills.  I had to immediately stop the bc pills but Mirena was a viable option.  I'm now on my second Mirena and I love it.  With each one I spotted for about 3 months, then nothing at all.  Insertion was not pleasant but fairly quick.

There will always be horror stories of women who have had serious problems. No medical procedure is without risk. For me, the risk of trying the Mirena outweighed my problem of heavy bleeding and severe PMS. Both have drastically improved since the IUD. My only regret is waiting so long! Life is SO MUCH better!

I think it is worth a try. If it doesn't work for you then just have it removed. 

I haven't had a Mirena yet but plan on getting one next month. I had a pulmonary embolism toward the beginning of my last pregnancy and the Mirena is one of the few choices left available to me. (I've had the Paraguard before, but don't want the heavy periods combined with blood thinners.)