Menu

Are color catching cloths worth it?

jenn-

I use them for the quilts I make because they usually have both light and dark prints. They work very well, I usually put three of them in the first time I wash a quilt and then send a few with the quilt so that they can use them the next time. After two washes, I don't think it's necessary. 

I wouldn't use these in a high efficiency washer.  I've heard many stories of them getting caught in the filter and causing overflows.

I do have a front loading HE washer.  For those that are saying yes, what kind of washer do you have?  I'm really just thinking about when I have that one or two new t-shirts that need washing and I really don't want to wash them completely separately.  Or when my MIL doesn't think about the fact that new red shirts with white trimming just never works out well for the boys.

Synthrapol is a detergent designed to remove excess/fugitive dye.  It is used by people who hand-dye things to wash away the dye that didn't "stick" without having it stain other parts of the dyed item.  I find that it gets rid of the vast majority of excess dye in one wash cycle.  It's amazing stuff.  A good supplier is Dharma Trading, the go-to company for all things dye.

I do have a front loading HE washer.  For those that are saying yes, what kind of washer do you have?  I'm really just thinking about when I have that one or two new t-shirts that need washing and I really don't want to wash them completely separately.  Or when my MIL doesn't think about the fact that new red shirts with white trimming just never works out well for the boys.

I'm a stickler for sorting, so I only use the color catchers in the type of situation you describe -- when we have one of those red and white shirts type thing.  I have an HE front load washing machine and I haven't had any trouble.  If you're worried about it you could put it in a mesh lingerie bag.

I'm a stickler for sorting, so I only use the color catchers in the type of situation you describe -- when we have one of those red and white shirts type thing. I have an HE front load washing machine and I haven't had any trouble. If you're worried about it you could put it in a mesh lingerie bag.

I have a couple of those mesh bags. That's a great solution. Thanks.

I buy them for dd16 so she can mix loads more on fabric type/weight than color.  I haven't had any problems with them in my HE washers (Whirlpool Duets and new Maytags).

She still washes very light colors and whites by themselves, but will mix her mid/dark colors with zero problems. I am very visual so I would notice if she was getting bleed through from her darks and I have not seen anything since she started using them.

(She washes denim separately because he Miss Mes have so much bling on them she doesn't want them to snag her shirts). 

I use them in my HE washer. No problems at all. They work very well.

I use them several times a week. We've only had one get caught in the drain filter, and it was no big deal to get it out. Our drain filter is on the front of the machine, and I used a plastic bowl to catch the water that came out.

As another poster said, I usually only use a half sheet for "insurance".