Menu

Movie Classics - need more suggestions

sheryl

Recently I thought it might be a good idea to have dd watch some of the good, old classic movies and musicals.  I'd like these to be "real" classics and not new classics like Pride/Prejudice which we do have and LOVE along with other works/dvd's by Jane Austen.  Just looking for more of the real McCoy.

This is our list of movies she's already watched and ones that are have checked out from the library that we have yet to see.  We have them but we're watching just so many a day.  kwim?  lol.

FYI - I've seen many of these, but not all.  So, I'll be watching some of them again while dd is watching for first time.  And, others, we'll be watching for 1st time together.  Lastly, dd may have seen "some" of a movie but not all of it.   These she will see from beginning to end.  These are all originals and not updated versions.

Music Man

Sound of Music

Showboat

Singing in The Rain
Oklahoma
South Pacific
West Side Story

Casablanca

Dr. Zhivago - our library doesn't have this anywhere in the system. 

Any others?

Thanks.

The African Queen

Gone With the Wind

National Velvet

Strike Up the Band, Babes in Arms - pick a couple Rooney/Garland musicals. Note Babes on Broadway ends with the cast in blackface doing a minstrel show ;( so skip that one

The Quiet Man

Sergeant York

Pride of the Yankees

How Green Was My Valley

Pat and Mike (or any Tracy/Hepburn film)

Bringing Up Baby

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Gunga Din

The Grapes of Wrath

My Darling Clementine

It Happened One NIght

Meet John Doe

gosh, I could go on....

So, maybe "yes" to The Kid (Charlie Chaplin) and "no" to "E.T."? Farrar posted a link to a list of 50 pop culture movies from, ahem, Entertainment Weekly that I have been cherry-picking from. You have different criteria, but may find something useful there. Wish I could link, sorry.

(Thanks, Farrar!)

42nd Street

Arsenic and Old Lace**

Maltese Falcon

The Thin Man (and sequels)**

Rebecca

Mr Smith Goes to Washington

Destry Rides Again

Magnificent Seven

Great Escape

Vertigo

Rear Window

Some Like it Hot**

American in Paris (I *LOVE* Gene Kelly)

Operation Petticoat**

12 Angry Men

Stalag 17

Mister Roberts**

Heaven Knows Mr Allison

Murder He Says**

That is the best movie ever made because

If anyone is wondering why yes that *IS* Kevin Kline.

I couldn't remember his name. She insisted she had to listen to it while doing calculus.

Eric idle in the English national opera version of the mikado. Best version ever.

This is awesome!   Thanks.  GardenMom, thanks for the reminder.  We actually own 7 Brides/7 Brothers and we watch it every now and then.  We love this film!

The Quiet Man - ahhh, John Wayne. 

And, so many other good ones.   THANKS Y'ALL!  Great job!

Yes, Charlie Chaplin.  Abbott and Costello, Mickey Rooney, Laurel and Hardy, Jimmy Cagney (suggestions?), and so many good ones you all have mentioned.  FUN!

James Cagney is in  Mister Roberts. I am fond of Angels have Dirty Faces, he is in that as well.

He is also in Footlight Parade, we always liked that one. it is a musical.

I would also watch White Heat ("Made it Ma! Top of the world!")

I think Abbott and Costello or Laurel and Hardy are always good in things. We were always watching those but none stand out in my memory as a favorite. If you are watching that sort of comedy to your list you might want to include Marx Brothers.

Gardenmom mentioned Court Jester, that is a comedy with Danny Kaye that is HILARIOUS.  My sisters and I always loved that one. Arsenic and Old Lace is also HILARIOUS. I added some ** after the comedies on my list if you are looking for something funny.

Lassie Come Home

The Glass Slipper (Cinderella story, with Leslie Caron)

Father Goose (also Leslie Caron, plus Cary Grant)

PT 109 (story of John F. Kennedy)

The Searchers (John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, and Natalie Wood; the only John Wayne movie I care for other than The Quiet Man, which has already been mentioned)

Unsinkable Molly Brown (Debbie Reynolds)

Rachel and the Stranger (Loretta Young, Robert Mitchum, William Holden)

Mrs. Miniver

Good Morning, Miss Dove

The Miracle of the Bells (a young Frank Sinatra, and Fred MacMurray)

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Dragonwyck (a handsome young Vincent Price)

Tammy and the Bachelor (Debbie Reynolds and a *very* handsome Leslie Nielsen)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (James Stewart and Doris Day)

Don't forget the Ester Williams movies!  I love the swimming.

Hold that Ghost

The Egg and I

A letter of Introduction

The Lady of Burlesque (its a mystery)

Arsenic and Old Lace

Going My Way

If you need a good cry then Penny Serenade.

The Bells of St. Marys

Desk Set

His Girl Friday

Kiss Me Kate

Marnie

Casablanca

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Maltese Falcon

The Longest Day

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

In Harms Way

Cookies Fortune

The African Queen

I could go on and on.....

I Was a Male War Bride

Yankee Doodle Dandy (I love me some Cagney - and in this one he channels Geo. M. Cohan rather than toting a gun in a gangster flim)

Calamity Jane

Annie Oakley (with a very young Barbra Stanwyck)

Ball of Fire (Stanwyck)

Mildred Pierce (Crawford)

Stage Door

Alice Adams

All About Eve

Double Indemnity

The Paleface (Bob Hope)

Road to Morocco (a Hope/Crosby film)

A Star is Born (Garland)

Father of the Bride (Tracy, not the recent one)

The Actress

Wee Willie Winkie (yes, Shirley Temple - directed by John Ford!one of her better ones)

The Little Princess (Temple, again)

Notorious

Suspicion

If I think of more, I will post again ;)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Cheaper By The Dozen

The Little Fugitive

Goodbye Mr. Chips

The Great Race

Wings (silent, very good!)

The Big Parade (silent)

note any good dvd of a silent film will have an appropriate musical score. Director King Vidor, who I saw in person at a screening of The Big Parade in L.A. years ago, said that the music  to a silent film was about 40% of the experience.  Many major films of the 1920s had scores composed and sent out to be played along with the film. These scores are used today to record music for a silent film, or a new score is created for it.  Carl Davis is the premiere composer for silent films now.

The Best Old Movies for Families by Ty Burr http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Old-Movies-Families/dp/1400096863 is a fun book that goes through many genres and gives suggestions, a synopsis of the movies listed, and tells why it made the list.

The movies are divided by age group (3-6 year olds, 7-12 year olds, ages 13+), although I sometimes wonder how he made his choices since I disagree ... but, hey, it's a starting place for browsing through and getting ideas for classic movies to watch.

Many movies include some trivia (like, all three leads in Mutiny on the Bounty were nominated for Best Actor). A section of "if you like this, you should also watch" follows up each entry, too.  It has an index by child age.

This really is the best resource I've seen on introducing classic movies to your kids. I highly recommend it if this is something that interests you.

Edited to add link to Amazon.

Harvey!!!!!!

The Philadelphia Story

Dial "M" for Murder

Those are ones I didn't see mentioned that are so good, imho.

I will 2nd or 3rd or whatever Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, Arsenic and Old Lace (both very funny) and Roman Holiday. Lots of others listed but those are the standouts from my childhood. I watched all these old movies with my dad when I was a kid. It took some convincing to get me to watch a black and white movie at first but I am so glad he kept on me. Some of my best memories with my dad and I am so glad to know all the references now. Will watching lots of old movies with my kids as they get older for sure.

Well actually, there is a 1940's version of P&P starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. It's hilarious 😊 and it's on TCM this month.

I 2nd (3rd? 4th?) Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House. I love that movie.

I was in a classic film class once and here are some of the films we watched.

Vertigo

Rear Window

Sunset Boulevard

The Birds

Citizen Cane

Adam's Rib

Philadelphia Story

Bringing Up Baby** my favorite

Some Like it Hot

Libeled Lady

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Notorious

Casablanca

Singing in the Rain

Bonnie and Clyde (this may have been for a different class)

I have already started classic film appreciation with my 7&8 year old boys. It's included a lot of Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Doris Day films. They loved Mr. Blandings and Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

Harvey!!!!!!

The Philadelphia Story

Dial "M" for Murder

Those are ones I didn't see mentioned that are so good, imho.

I will 2nd or 3rd or whatever Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, Arsenic and Old Lace (both very funny) and Roman Holiday. Lots of others listed but those are the standouts from my childhood. I watched all these old movies with my dad when I was a kid. It took some convincing to get me to watch a black and white movie at first but I am so glad he kept on me. Some of my best memories with my dad and I am so glad to know all the references now. Will watching lots of old movies with my kids as they get older for sure.

I can't believe I didn't mention these movies. :) They are great.

Key Largo, as long as you're watching Bogart movies.

We love Bringing Up Baby.

There was a movie about leprechauns but I can't remember who was in it or the title, made in the 60s, maybe.

Darby O'gill and the little people.

A very good book is

The ring of truth.