Menu

Educational uses of a tablet

My younger son is interested in a career in IT because my dh is in that field.  Kind of cute.  Thing is, he is not really into computers.  So we suggested that he take all his Christmas money and buy himself his *own* tablet, that way he can start to learn how to manage digital technology etc and see if this is really something he wants to pursue.  Trouble is, all he seems to know to do is play video games.  So, I told him I would give him a task a day to figure out how to do on his tablet, and he thought this was super cool.

Day 1:  get your new keyboard aligned with tablet and other devices in house.

Day 2: Grandpa wrote him an e-mail, and he had to figure out how to respond.  Then he saved it as a draft and had to figure out how to undo it, and then he needed to copy and paste, so had to figure out how to do that.  Helped with his typing also.  So very good project.

Day 3: Research cases to fine one that fits your specific device, and the cheapest option.  This allowed me to talk to him about search terms, and using the links from google to improve the search term, and then how to use the actual device's number.  And then to identify where things were coming from (he ended up on ebay which would not be super useful in NZ).  So very good project also.

So, I'm thinking that this might be pretty hard to keep up all year!  My ds is not an initiator, at all, so he really needs these little projects to come from me.

Can you lovely people give me a bunch of ideas!  I'm thinking administrative (files, cleaning up downloads, understanding permissions, networking  etc); creative (making music, photo editing, etc); understanding social media (twitter, facebook, etc); using programs (word processor, graphics package, etc).  So I do have some ideas, but need more!  They can be basic or complex.

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Why does he want to go into IT if he is not "into" computers?

And what's special about a tablet? A tablet is a computer... albeit most are a tad slow.

My kids learned to use computers by incorporating technology into their regular school work and daily activities:

typing their writing assignments or working on creative writing - learn word processing

putting their science lab data into spreadsheets - learn excel and graphing

communicating via email - learn email program

putting slide show together about history project - learn Powerpoint

other educational tasks:

use computer based vocabulary program for foreign languages

online courses

video lectures

listen to audiobooks through audible

web searches....

Daily life activities involving computers include:

Reading news, checking the weather or movie showtimes, watching youtube videos, creating blog posts, designing websites, uploading photos from camera to computer, editing photos, making a photo album, uploading videos, using video editing software....

I am not entirely sure what you are looking for.

This is what I am looking for.  Thanks! 

We have had this conversation before, Regentrude, and I know that your kids learn computer stuff through their assignments.  My older is this way, my younger is NOT.  He has no initiative, and he is unable to take a task and break it into small pieces to get it done.  He needs me to give him little bitty tasks to do.  He would never thought, for example, to go look online for a case for his tablet.  He would just say, I need a case; or might never even realise he should have a case.  This boy needs direction, and lots of it.  I want to use his tablet as a way of getting him excited about actually doing an assignment independently, which is a major goal I have for him this year.  I will definitely be making assignments for him that require the use of programs like graphing or word processing, but that is a pretty limited list, which is why I was asking for suggestions. 

Yes, the tablet is a computer, but the point is, it is *his* computer.  There is something special about being responsible for your own computer.  sorting the icons, downloading apps, making your own file system etc. 

As for a career in IT, my ds is a generalist, and everything is equally interesting.  He likes what his dad does, IT project manager, because he works with people, is a decision maker, and has regular hours.  Obviously, this job description would work with most jobs; however, here in NZ, they are desperate for IT project managers and the long term skills shortage lists put it top of the list.  He would always be able to get a job.  Also, the money is very good. So, if he has an interest, I'm plenty willing to help him to pursue it.  And when I say that ds is not into computers, that is not exactly true, he enjoys computers and is trying to learn more, but he has NO initiative.  None!  So, I'm trying to help him to learn what he actually wants to learn but just will never get around to doing.

Ruth in NZ

He has no initiative, and he is unable to take a task and break it into small pieces to get it done.  He needs me to give him little bitty tasks to do.  He would never thought, for example, to go look online for a case for his tablet.  He would just say, I need a case; or might never even realise he should have a case.  This boy needs direction, and lots of it.  I want to use his tablet as a way of getting him excited about actually doing an assignment independently, which is a major goal I have for him this year.  I will definitely be making assignments for him that require the use of programs like graphing or word processing, but that is a pretty limited list, which is why I was asking for suggestions.

OK, that makes sense. Although I still don't quite understand: does he not see YOU do stuff on the computer? I mean, mine see that when we need an item, the way to acquire is is to get online, do research, and then order it online (unless it's groceries). When we want to know xyz, we search online. Want a cooking recipe that uses duck? Google. When we have something to write, we use a word processing program. Banking - online. I guess, much of it they simply learn by imitation.. isn't that how kids learn EVERYTHING?

So, instead of looking specifically for educational applications, I'd involve him more in the tasks where the computer is used as a tool in everyday life.

OK, that makes sense. Although I still don't quite understand: does he not see YOU do stuff on the computer? I mean, mine see that when we need an item, the way to acquire is is to get online, do research, and then order it online (unless it's groceries). When we want to know xyz, we search online. Want a cooking recipe that uses duck? Google. When we have something to write, we use a word processing program. Banking - online. I guess, much of it they simply learn by imitation.. isn't that how kids learn EVERYTHING?

So, instead of looking specifically for educational applications, I'd involve him more in the tasks where the computer is used as a tool in everyday life.

Yes, he sees us on the computers doing stuff all the time.  But he is a watcher.  When he plays a video game with his brother, he watches.  When we start looking for recipes online, he watches.  Watching is not doing, which I definitely saw when he tried to do his own google search.  It took him forever! So I need to get him doing, and he will only do, if I give him an assignment.  He would rather have his nose in a book. :001_smile:

What tablet/OS do you have?

Android. It is a small screen - 8 inch.  But it was more important to have him pay for it himself, than to get him a larger one.  However, I do think the smaller screen will make some stuff more difficult to do. 

My son used his iPad to make a stop/go motion movie with his legos.  That would be a creative idea that could be broken down into several steps over a few days.  You could use it as a retelling of a lit or history story too.  You could introduce the idea by searching and watching some youtube videos of other lego stop/go movies on his tablet.  

My son used his iPad to make a stop/go motion movie with his legos.  That would be a creative idea that could be broken down into several steps over a few days.  You could use it as a retelling of a lit or history story too.  You could introduce the idea by searching and watching some youtube videos of other lego stop/go movies on his tablet.  

He loves lego!  That sounds super fun.  Thanks!

I'm thinking you could have a number of repeating tasks if you're trying to do something every day all year. Like, for example, maybe once a month it's clean out old files and the next day reorganize them and the following day check back ups for them. That sort of thing. Could be something like the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of every month.

Seconding the creative tasks as well. You could focus on a different one every month. Like, one month, it's movies and learn to make a 10 second video, learn to edit out part of it, learn to add music to it, learn to upload it to Youtube or Vine or something, etc. Then another month stop motion animation, another month, working on a piece of digital art, another month, writing and editing a short story or essay on the tablet, another month, mixing a piece of music with a dj app, etc. etc. You could do things with photos, slide shows, explainer things (there are a lot of apps that let you make your own Khan Academy type teaching video), etc.

One thing you'll definitely want him to do, IMO, is learn to load pdfs on there and write on them and annotate them or change them - remove pages, write on the pages, type on the pages, export and create his own pdfs, etc.

I'm thinking you could have a number of repeating tasks if you're trying to do something every day all year. Like, for example, maybe once a month it's clean out old files and the next day reorganize them and the following day check back ups for them. That sort of thing. Could be something like the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of every month.

Seconding the creative tasks as well. You could focus on a different one every month. Like, one month, it's movies and learn to make a 10 second video, learn to edit out part of it, learn to add music to it, learn to upload it to Youtube or Vine or something, etc. Then another month stop motion animation, another month, working on a piece of digital art, another month, writing and editing a short story or essay on the tablet, another month, mixing a piece of music with a dj app, etc. etc. You could do things with photos, slide shows, explainer things (there are a lot of apps that let you make your own Khan Academy type teaching video), etc.

One thing you'll definitely want him to do, IMO, is learn to load pdfs on there and write on them and annotate them or change them - remove pages, write on the pages, type on the pages, export and create his own pdfs, etc.

These are great idea!  Would not have thought of the pdf stuff, or the rotation idea.  Cool!

My son has had to research his papers, type them up, and then figure out how to send them to the wireless printer in the house.

He is taking a computer programming course this year with Youth Digital.

He has his own camera so he's been learning how to get his pictures onto his computer (not a tablet, but similar learning curve for young kids). Then we've been learning how to edit pictures and send them for printing on the computer.

Enable the "accessiblity" features, and figure out how you would use your tablet if you had poor eyesight or slow fingers.  (Change the font size, or the time the tablet will wait to register a click, etc.)  Enable text-to-speech and listen to a newspaper article.

Enable the "accessiblity" features, and figure out how you would use your tablet if you had poor eyesight or slow fingers.  (Change the font size, or the time the tablet will wait to register a click, etc.)  Enable text-to-speech and listen to a newspaper article.

That is definitely thinking out of the box. :001_smile:

I would definitely get a book on Android tablets.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118874013/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944579862&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1118646614&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A8ABA0TWG5AKAF31E11

I would teach him how to set up a document in MLA format and the basic use of the word processor.

I would install spreadsheet software and make sure he can fill out a chart and turn it into a graph and use that graph in a report in the word processor.

I'd install a scanner app and teach him how to scan a document/book and turn it into a pdf that he can read on the tablet. And to crop bits of scanned pages and be able to import them into documents in the word processor.

I'd make sure he could take and save pictures to a card and to the cloud. And also import them into the word processor.

Make sure he can do all of the above well enough to write a nice report. Also that he can save the report to a card, to the cloud, email it, and print it.

I'd install a graphing calculator app, and teach him to use it.

Kindle books app, and how to use the whispersync option for books that are whispersync compatible.

The Overdrive app to borrow library books.

See if your library offers free Britannica, Zinio or Hoopla subscriptions.

Install a dictionary app.

Use Google maps.

Neat idea! Lots of goods suggestions, too.

What about downloading Duolingo and spending sometime working on a foreign language.

App shopping itself would be an experience, perhaps point out costs and hidden costs.

Down the road you may want to check out Makey Makey as an extension to the tablet.

Research viruses on tablets & determine if he needs anti-virus software. If the answer is yes, researching the available ones & their cost is his next day's task. Downloading is his 3rd day's task.

If he decides it doesn't need anti-virus, day 2 could be optimizing the device for battery life - including deciding what those tasks might be (screen brightness, other settings), and day 3 might be finding an app to watch all the other apps to make sure they aren't doing anything nefarious in the background.

There is a lot of good info in some of the Boy Scouts of America merit badge pamphlets. Maybe NZ Scouts have something similar.

Computers, replaced by Digital technology, but easier to find the pamphlet on line.

Digital Technology

Programming

You can sometimes find the full text by googling title + pamphlet + pdf

Here is some links

http://be4real.com/ScoutingStuff/MeritBadgeBooks/Computers%20Merit%20Badge%20Pamphlet.pdf

http://www.scouting.org/meritbadges.aspx

http://boyslife.org/section/about-scouts/merit-badge-resources/programming/

Strictly speaking, most of this would need a computer, not a tablet. But the exercises are designed for boys 11-18. The merit badges are designed to provide an intro. My ds did the old Computers one and learned a lot.

Another idea. In the U.S., Apple stores have free summer camps for kids. They teach things like film editing and perhaps basic too. Might be worth checking for your area.

Wonderful ideas!

Some familiarity with cloud storage is a plus.

You could also link in to robotics, if there is interest.

I like a series called Missing Manuals. Books, which cover most major operating systems and applications. Not written especially for kids, but they are exceptionally clear.

You guys are awesome!  :hurray: :hurray: This is just the stuff I want! 

Any other artsy stuff like the stop motion lego idea?  DS does not do art of any kind because of a perfectionist streak, and I'm thinking that he might be willing to do some if it is computer based.

For totally drawing phobic students I've had good success with the following resources

The section on drawing "Prada People" in Ed Emberley's Green Book.

http://www.amazon.com/Emberleys-Big-Green-Drawing-Book/dp/0316789763/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420462942&sr=1-11&keywords=ed+emberley

The section on "Feelings" and "Bean Buddies" in Ed Emberley's Fingerprint Book.

http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Emberleys-Fingerprint-Drawing-Book/dp/0316789690/ref=pd_sim_b_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=18A3TJGK4XSBHANA3JAE

The Drawing Textbook. FREE eBook. Click on "Audio Visual Drawing Program-Drawing Textbook"

http://dreamsteep.com/component/docman/doc_download/306-audio-visual-drawing-program-drawing-textbook.html?Itemid=30

When a few lessons of Drawing Textbook have been mastered, some of these little drawings work well in the background, even if they look a little too basic as stand alone drawings.

http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Emberleys-Drawing-Book-World/dp/0316789720/ref=pd_sim_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0534GYTMY9KNVM22FRKC

Using Color in Your Art

http://www.amazon.com/Using-Color-Your-Art-Williamson/dp/0824967542

I mean, mine see that when we need an item, the way to acquire it is to get online, do research, and then order it online (unless it's groceries).

We even order groceries online. (I know not all areas have grocery pick up or delivery as an option.) It is something DD is starting to help with, so it's worth mentioning for others looking for ideas.

Any other artsy stuff like the stop motion lego idea? DS does not do art of any kind because of a perfectionist streak, and I'm thinking that he might be willing to do some if it is computer based.

Perhaps not worthy of a task, but he could make a "picassohead" if his tablet supports flash, and if it doesn't that might be a whole 'nother topic spin-off.

Well here is my take on organising all these ideas.  Happy to have more in any of the categories. :001_smile:

Resources

Missing Manual series

Boyscouts digital technology pamphlets

Administrative tasks

uploading photos from camera to computer

icons

downloading apps

making your own file system etc.

uploading videos

load and annotate pdfs

accessibility features (text to speech, slow fingers etc)

scanning and importing documents

save data to cloud

anti-virus software

optimizing battery life

app to watch all other apps

School work

typing assignments – learn word processing

putting their science lab data into spreadsheets - learn excel and graphing

putting slide show together about history project - learn Powerpoint

use computer based vocabulary program for foreign languages

online courses

Computer programming

use graphing calculator app

use public library's massive journal article storehouse

Consuming

listen to audiobooks through audible

web searches

Reading news / comics

checking the weather

movie show times

watching youtube videos

access public library and check out ebook

Kindle books app, whispersync

google maps

dictionary applications

app shopping

Creating

editing photos

making a photo album

making videos

using video editing software....

creating blog posts

designing websites

a stop/go motion movie with his legos.

Digital art

mixing music

make your own Khan Academy type teaching video

invent an app http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/

contribute to a forum

robotics

citizen scientist

puppet app

picassohead,

Great list!

With our ds I haven't had any systemized plan but often give him things to do and just have him figure it out and he is ahead of 90%+ of other kids his age. Kids have a natural curiosity with such things, it is amazing what they can do.

Fwiw I signed ds up for a free MOCC class at Harvey Mudd- My Computer Science- http://www.muddx.com/courses/HMC/MyCS/Middle-years_Computer_Science/about

I think it starts early Feb IIRC. We've not done it yet, so I can't speak to the content or quality, but I thought it would be a good intro perhaps and get him beyond some of the basics, like a lot of stuff out there for their age.

Fwiw I signed ds up for a free MOCC class at Harvey Mudd- My Computer Science- http://www.muddx.com/courses/HMC/MyCS/Middle-years_Computer_Science/about

I think it starts early Feb IIRC. We've not done it yet, so I can't speak to the content or quality, but I thought it would be a good intro perhaps and get him beyond some of the basics, like a lot of stuff out there for their age.

wow! I had no idea this kind of thing existed for younger kids.  And for free!

my ds has enjoyed Hogwartsishere ... especially the astronomy part

google earth, google translations, making films (not lego related), duolingo (when it will work for us), 

a bridge building simulation, AoPs online community sometimes, typing, emailing, looking things up...

Android. It is a small screen - 8 inch.  But it was more important to have him pay for it himself, than to get him a larger one.  However, I do think the smaller screen will make some stuff more difficult to do. 

8 inches is NOT that small. Its a really good size for holding on your lap and taking places with you, I'm finding.

For Android, something else may be learning how to use Google Play and how to identify which apps there he can actually use on his tablet/OS combination.

Checking to see if there is an update for his tablet, then researching the update and determining whether he wants to download it or not (will it cause favorite/key programs to stop working? Will favorite programs stop working if the update is NOT downloaded. Will his tablet handle the upgrade).

Maybe finding some good alternate sites that help him research the Android apps  (like AppShopper for Apple products, which has a price history area as well as allowing you to keep a wish list of apps you find but don't want to buy right away for whatever reason)

Learning to take different sorts of pictures and modify the pictures -- both for sending through email and for particular purposes. Would be good. Could also involve looking for photo apps to aid with the picture taking/photo processing times.

Your master list looks great. You might want to include safety, or is that mentioned up thread and I missed it?

-- safeguarding personal info

-- not clicking on attachments

-- security settings. You may want input here.

I was pretty cautious about app downloading on both computer and tablets when my dc were younger. Ymmv.

For a tablet, I would also teach the usual tricks about using setting to minimize battery drain.

If your son exhausts all the other suggestions and needs a greater challenge, you might consider a Kano. They come slightly disassembled (though I wouldn't go as far the developer's claim that they actually ''build'' it), and kids get a bit of experience connecting external components. The OS is a Linux distribution so they get a bit of a command line flavor, and it includes lots of software to teach coding (including Scratch, but also games). It's a first-rate educational tool; I've been very impressed.