Menu

For fun; old-time cloth diapering moms, remember...

Pink Elephant

I had only squat toilets growing up. Cloth diapers were washed by my parents, my job is just to fold them. I am sensitive to the smell of Clorox and a major puker so no one would ask me to help.

My brother is 8.5 years younger and I fold for my nephews and nieces too if I am bored while visiting cousins. I know how to use the all metal pins too.

Folding, was one of my favourite things about using cloth diapers. So soothing and relaxing.

I always found the metal-locking diaper pins to be the sharpest. The metal pins are what I almost always reached for when diapering, especially when it came to night-time diapering. Even the thickest of night-time double diapers were no match for the old metal safety top diaper pins.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I learned to hold her differently (not on the hip) and others either learned the same or didn't pick her up again.

It does mean a lot more nappies because when wet, well, she's wet.

I loved the hip-hold/carry. Used it as a mom... used it as a sitter. Made checking diapers a breeze, too.

The part about using rubber pants that I liked, was they eliminated the urgency of prompt diaper changes. If I was busy doing housework or preoccupied at the time someone needed changing, the rubber pants allowed me extra time to finish up what I was doing without worrying over messes or leaks.

Rubber pants also added a sense of old-fashioned nostalgia to the diapering process.

Prefolds were invented in the 1950s. I am young enough to have been diapered in prefolds that look much the same as today's prefolds (had I not been allergic to all laundry detergent!) I recall dusting and cleaning with my old diapers until they were basically dust themselves and they were your standard Chinese prefolds. With the exception of those with long grown kids, I am not sure how many cloth diaper users of today's homeschooled tweens and teens spent hours folding diapers.

Prefolds were invented in the 1950s. I am young enough to have been diapered in prefolds that look much the same as today's prefolds (had I not been allergic to all laundry detergent!) I recall dusting and cleaning with my old diapers until they were basically dust themselves and they were your standard Chinese prefolds. With the exception of those with long grown kids, I am not sure how many cloth diaper users of today's homeschooled tweens and teens spent hours folding diapers.

I would have never guessed how long prefolds have been around. Up until a few years ago I had no idea quilted diapers (prefolds) even existed, nor had I ever seen one. Surprising, because in all the years I babysat not once do I remember coming across a quilted diaper, and I changed tons of bottoms.

I, along with my siblings were raised in old-fashioned flats, and when I babysat it was flats, too. Like mother- like daughter... I, too used flats on my own kids, and still have leftover flats today that I pass around when someone is sick (i.e., nose-blowers) and for use when cleaning windows.

Do you remember flats, LucyStoner?

I would have never guessed how long prefolds have been around. Up until a few years ago I had no idea quilted diapers (prefolds) even existed, nor had I ever seen one. Surprising, because in all the years I babysat not once do I remember coming across a quilted diaper, and I changed tons of bottoms.

I, along with my siblings were raised in old-fashioned flats, and when I babysat it was flats, too. Like mother- like daughter... I, too used flats on my own kids, and still have leftover flats today that I pass around when someone is sick (i.e., nose-blowers) and for use when cleaning windows.

Do you remember flats, LucyStoner?

I've owned some but had to go out of my way to find them online. I'm only 34 - pre-folds (and disposables for that matter) were available to my grandmother for the last of her kids. There were certainly no flats available for sale in stores when my older son was born.

In the United States, prefolds all but replaced flats almost as soon as powered dryers became standard household items. My father always told me that his mom used a diaper service which delivered prefolds in the 1950s. Tho, he could be an unreliable narrator.

I think my mom was too lazy or poor for the rubber pants.  Most pics of me I'm just in the prefold or flat. :)  My brothers were disposable diapers.  My last three kids wore prefolds and wool pants 90% of the time. I strangely miss it!

I give your mom credit. My guess is your mom used rubber pants on you for night and naptime... and possibly outings, too. I don't think I have a pic of any one of my kids wearing diapers without rubber pants.

I think it's normal to miss the baby years... even the diaper changing years, too. I remember just before my oldest was born, I was babysitting for my sister who had two in diapers (cloth), and when I'd change my niece and nephew all I could think about was using cloth diapers in my own home, on my own baby. I couldn't wait to be a mother.

I've owned some but had to go out of my way to find them online. I'm only 34 - pre-folds (and disposables for that matter) were available to my grandmother for the last of her kids. There were certainly no flats available for sale in stores when my older son was born.

In the United States, prefolds all but replaced flats almost as soon as powered dryers became standard household items. My father always told me that his mom used a diaper service which delivered prefolds in the 1950s. Tho, he could be an unreliable narrator.

Hmmm... maybe that's the difference. I reside in Canada, so maybe quilted diapers hadn't made their mark here yet. I'm 53.

As far as diaper services go, the one we had closed it's doors in the mid to late 80's. I don't recall anyone that used the service personally, but I do remember a full page write-up in our local paper one year as to the booming business the woman did who owned and operated it, and each year she used to organize and put on a diaper changing contest in the mall for moms with babies.

I never understood the purpose of folding pre-folds.   I think I did it once while pregnant and Setting Up The Nursery, and once after that.  After that I had a laundry basket under the diaper table with tussled pre-folds in them.  Can anyone tell me the benefit?   At the time, I think that I was the only one I knew using pre-folds, so I had no one to ask.  

I used flats & prefolds in the mid to late 90's but yanno, I'm in the hippie land end of Canada. I had a friend who taught me how to fold them & they were so darned cheap I just couldn't resist. I used them indoors with no plastic pants, Just whipped them off & changed the second they were damp.  For going out we used prefolds with the woolen wraps from Japan.  For night time I'd use the flats as extra liners inside the prefolds.

I never understood the purpose of folding pre-folds.   I think I did it once while pregnant and Setting Up The Nursery, and once after that.  After that I had a laundry basket under the diaper table with tussled pre-folds in them.  Can anyone tell me the benefit?   At the time, I think that I was the only one I knew using pre-folds, so I had no one to ask.  

Now that I know what prefold diapers are and what they look like, the only reason I can see as to why a mother would fold them, is to reduce the bulk between a baby's legs when double diapering for night, etc, otherwise, the diaper is essentially designed to be put on as is, with the exception of possibly folding down the front to accommodate a younger baby if the diaper was too big.

If I were using prefolds, I, too, would more than likely keep them in a laundry basket (like yourself) under the baby's crib, and draw them out one-by-one at change time as needed.

When I was using flats, I always kept a stack folded and ready to go, because they actually required folding and when I could reach for a diaper that was already folded and ready to apply, it made diaper changing time that much more speedier.

I used flats & prefolds in the mid to late 90's but yanno, I'm in the hippie land end of Canada. I had a friend who taught me how to fold them & they were so darned cheap I just couldn't resist. I used them indoors with no plastic pants, Just whipped them off & changed the second they were damp.  For going out we used prefolds with the woolen wraps from Japan.  For night time I'd use the flats as extra liners inside the prefolds.

LOL! Glad to be in the company of a fellow Canuck!

You moms that went sans rubber pants... I admire you to the nth. There is no darn way I would have or could have cloth diapered without rubber pants, but that probably was more the result of the countless diapers I changed prior to having my own kids and always being met with rubber pants, so it was ingrained in my mind... cloth diapers, pins, AND RUBBER PANTS.

For night-time in my home, rather than fold together two or three diapers (one stacked on top of the other), I instead folded a couple of diapers together as one, then lined the actual diaper with one or two more flat diapers which I folded into long narrow pads and placed down the centre, acting much like that of a prefold, only much bulkier.

Then, with rubber pants over diapers, my kids would waddle like a duck.

I used flats & prefolds in the mid to late 90's but yanno, I'm in the hippie land end of Canada.

Want to add that I think it's so admirable of you that you went the route of old-fashioned cloth diapers in the mid to late 90's!

By the early 90's, I knew of only a few mothers that were diapering the way of the old... everyone else was using Pampers.

I just had to look it up for nostalgia's sake. I used this origami fold

Yep, I remember it! It was more of fold geared towards that of a newborn or tiny baby, but you could get away with using a single diaper pin to fasten which was uber handy.

Towards the end when my kids got bigger/older, I folded the diapers more like a triangle, where the front had a slight taper to it compared to the back which was wider, and I always padded the diaper with two flats, folded into long narrow liners for added absorbency.

Time to get out a couple of old diapers and fold them and take a snap and post.

25, 29, and 31. Oldest two are out of the home now with the baby of the family still with us.

How about yours?

It's in my signature. My older son is 11 and was cloth diapered. My younger son is 6 (as of yesterday, woot woot) and was also cloth diapered. I mostly used pockets for my older son ans prefolds for my younger son.

All of my diapers have been passed on to other families. I will have to buy more if we have another child.

Modern cloth diapers are not difficult, though there are more options.

They work a lot like disposables (Velcro tabs, waterproof outer) except you don't throw them away. They are more convenient for me than prefolds or flats, and while more expensive, with multiple children in dipes it is still a cost savings.

As for cute prints and such, I imagine that's mostly a preference due to personality. I can't imagine using ruffly bloomers if I had girls, but some people think they are super cute. I imagine people who like cute diapers think along the same lines.

It's in my signature. My older son is 11 and was cloth diapered. My younger son is 6 (as of yesterday, woot woot) and was also cloth diapered. I mostly used pockets for my older son ans prefolds for my younger son.

All of my diapers have been passed on to other families. I will have to buy more if we have another child.

I totally missed your signature. Happy belated Birthday wish to your son!

What a great thing to do, passing on your old cloth diapers to others. Pre-owned and loved diapers are the best, because they're tried and true and have been thoroughly tested.

As for cute prints and such, I imagine that's mostly a preference due to personality. I can't imagine using ruffly bloomers if I had girls, but some people think they are super cute. I imagine people who like cute diapers think along the same lines.

All of the little dresses I bought for my daughters had matching...bloomers? undies? I don't know, lol, but they matched the dresses and covered the diapers. They weren't necessarily ruffly, but they were a darn sight cuter than a plain ol' diaper/plastic pants, especially when dds were also wearing cute little dressy shoes and white ruffly socks. :-)

I made lots of little dresses like this one, or this one, or this one, always with the matching panties (I abhor that word, lol). And all the dresses I bought had matching undies/bloomers/whatever.

Modern cloth diapers are not difficult, though there are more options.

They work a lot like disposables (Velcro tabs, waterproof outer) except you don't throw them away. They are more convenient for me than prefolds or flats, and while more expensive, with multiple children in dipes it is still a cost savings.

Right you are about the savings. And then there is the convenience of never having to worry over running out of diapers at an inconvenient time.

I still can't believe how far modern cloth diapers have come. Nothing (at all) like the old.

You can still buy both flats and the old-fashioned pre-folds if you want to.

I don't know what type my mom used for me and my older sibs, but at least for my younger sister (born in 1968), she used pre-folds.  We did have some flats around in case the pre-folds ever ran out or whatever.  I don't recall whether I ever used one or not.  I wasn't generally into more tedious diapering methods when I was a tween.  :)

My mom still keeps some cotton pre-folds to pin around her neck when she has pain in that area.  Apparently it is the most soothing thing she's found for that problem.  Myself, I never tried that one.  :)

I just wish people weren't convinced nowadays that cloth diapering is impossible unless you can spend a lot.  WalMart still sells affordable cloth diapers.  They do need to be fitted and pinned by hand, and washed.  People hear that and it scares them somehow.  I have heard many people declare at the mention of cloth diapering, "but not everyone can afford to hire a diaper service!"  Umm ....

The only thing really gross about diapering is when the kids have diarrhea, and that is gross no matter what kind of diaper the kid is wearing.

I just wish people weren't convinced nowadays that cloth diapering is impossible unless you can spend a lot.  WalMart still sells affordable cloth diapers.  They do need to be fitted and pinned by hand, and washed.  People hear that and it scares them somehow.  I have heard many people declare at the mention of cloth diapering, "but not everyone can afford to hire a diaper service!"  Umm ....

The only thing really gross about diapering is when the kids have diarrhea, and that is gross no matter what kind of diaper the kid is wearing.

You hit it right on the head and said it better than I ever could. Exactly.

It's a shame the old way isn't as prevalent today as it used to be.

You hit it right on the head and said it better than I ever could. Exactly.

It's a shame the old way isn't as prevalent today as it used to be.

You know, I didn't think it was all that bad. It's a job that has to be done, regardless of what product you use. I liked putting those soft diapers on the baby and patting her little bum and *not* hearing the crackly sound that disposables make. And today's diaper covers are just so...big and bulky. Are they even waterproof?? IDK.

You know, I didn't think it was all that bad. It's a job that has to be done, regardless of what product you use. I liked putting those soft diapers on the baby and patting her little bum and *not* hearing the crackly sound that disposables make. And today's diaper covers are just so...big and bulky. Are they even waterproof?? IDK.

TouchĂƒÂ©!

I loved the old-fashioned method through-and-through. It was simple, reliable, and proven, not to mention, uber versatile! As for the new, I haven't any experience in that department, but I do know catastrophic failure would fall upon me if I was faced with having to choose something from the new-age. LOL!

I just wish people weren't convinced nowadays that cloth diapering is impossible unless you can spend a lot. WalMart still sells affordable cloth diapers. They do need to be fitted and pinned by hand, and washed. People hear that and it scares them somehow. I have heard many people declare at the mention of cloth diapering, "but not everyone can afford to hire a diaper service!" Umm ....

With the new covers, you don't even need a pin for prefolds. Just trifold and fit in the cover. If you want to pin it, you don't even need pins, a pack of snappis is like $1-3 or something. Though, speaking from recent experience, it's advisable pass on the current WalMart prefold dipes (which are made for burping and not diapering these days and unravel like mad- some aren't even all cotton) and buy used high quality ("diaper service quality, DSQ") prefolds off of Craigslist, diaperswappers or eBay. More absorbent, better workmanship and softer, far more durable fabric. The price was about the same or better 5 years ago for used. New DSQ prefolds are about $25-40 a dozen.

I bought all the prefolds (in several sizes) and covers I needed for my younger son for less than $75 off of Chrisglist. Very gently used. I know that cloth diapering needn't be expensive. I had some pricier diapers and used mostly more expensive pocket diapers for my older son but both options still saved quite a bit of money. Also, cloth diapers can be resold when you are done with them, saving even more money.

Here's some folding fun to keep you amused...

http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/demovideosterrysquareandprefolds.html

We mostly used Terry Square kite fold.

Different folds when little.

Flats dry well on the line and they don't outgrow them.

We were given a month's nappy service at the start for the eldest. She was never able to absorb fats so we continued the service for a year while we learned to cope. Or not.

Boy did those people earn their  money.

Anyway, have fun folding.

Who's going to organise their family into a teddy relay of 4 or 5 different folds? Start em young.

I did the calculations once, and came up with around $175 total for 2 children. This included detergent, nappisan when required, and electricity for the washer (no drier as I hung them on the line).  We bought some flats and were also given some (so had about 50), and we were given some wool pilchers to go over the top (you knit them huge with nonwashable wool and then wash them so they shrink and become water tight).  I also bought a bucket with a lid. I never used pins or clips, but did some origami which was really fast.  My kids were potty trained by 12 and 15 months because they could tell when they were wet.

Looking back it was pretty nuts, but I kept oldest in cloth on an international flight to the USA (so 30 hours).  Coming back to NZ, the drug sniffing dogs went nuts over the pooey nappies I was carrying.  I offered to show the inspection officer :tongue_smilie: , but she kindly declined.  Seems a great way to smuggle in drugs. ;)

Ruth in NZ

With the new covers, you don't even need a pin for prefolds. Just trifold and fit in the cover. If you want to pin it, you don't even need pins, a pack of snappis is like $1-3 or something. Though, speaking from recent experience, it's advisable pass on the current WalMart prefold dipes (which are made for burping and not diapering these days and unravel like mad- some aren't even all cotton) and buy used high quality ("diaper service quality, DSQ") prefolds off of Craigslist, diaperswappers or eBay. More absorbent, better workmanship and softer, far more durable fabric. The price was about the same or better 5 years ago for used. New DSQ prefolds are about $25-40 a dozen.

I bought all the prefolds (in several sizes) and covers I needed for my younger son for less than $75 off of Chrisglist. Very gently used. I know that cloth diapering needn't be expensive. I had some pricier diapers and used mostly more expensive pocket diapers for my older son but both options still saved quite a bit of money. Also, cloth diapers can be resold when you are done with them, saving even more money.

It's been a lot of years since I last bought diapers, but if I remember correctly, I spent something along the lines of 60-70$ in total when my first was born. That covered everything I needed.

Diapers (3-4 dozen), rubber pants, pins, and a plastic diaper pail. I believe the total also covered the cost of the baby washcloths, too.

Here's some folding fun to keep you amused...

http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/demovideosterrysquareandprefolds.html

We mostly used Terry Square kite fold.

Different folds when little.

Flats dry well on the line and they don't outgrow them.

We were given a month's nappy service at the start for the eldest. She was never able to absorb fats so we continued the service for a year while we learned to cope. Or not.

Boy did those people earn their  money.

Anyway, have fun folding.

Who's going to organise their family into a teddy relay of 4 or 5 different folds? Start em young.

Yep, I relied on the Terry Square Fold as well, and the Terry Square V Fold, though the fold I did varied slightly from the one shown in the picture, as I remember folding up the back, too, so when completed, the diaper had a hem-fold on all four sides.

Funny that you mention the changing relay, because when all of us in the family were having babies and putting on baby showers for one another, one of the baby shower games we put on at everyone homes was a diaper changing contest. No disposables allowed, not that any of us used disposables on our children, but contest rules were as follows... babies will wear cloth diapers (with pins) and rubber pants.

Seeing three, four, sometimes five or more babies all lined-up in a row getting their diapers changed, never failed to spark excitement among those in attendance!

I did the calculations once, and came up with around $175 total for 2 children. This included detergent, nappisan when required, and electricity for the washer (no drier as I hung them on the line).  We bought some flats and were also given some (so had about 50), and we were given some wool pilchers to go over the top (you knit them huge with nonwashable wool and then wash them so they shrink and become water tight).  I also bought a bucket with a lid. I never used pins or clips, but did some origami which was really fast.  My kids were potty trained by 12 and 15 months because they could tell when they were wet.

Looking back it was pretty nuts, but I kept oldest in cloth on an international flight to the USA (so 30 hours).  Coming back to NZ, the drug sniffing dogs went nuts over the pooey nappies I was carrying.  I offered to show the inspection officer :tongue_smilie: , but she kindly declined.  Seems a great way to smuggle in drugs. ;)

Ruth in NZ

I, too remember the cost being very minimal, however, I'm convinced my kids like feeling wet, because diapers went on, and on, AND ON, in our home! Padron the pun! LOL!

Good on you for using cloth when travelling! Though we never travelled Internationally, I, too used cloth whenever we visited family/friends. In those days everyone used cloth anyway, and nine times out of ten whoever we were staying with had a child or two in diapers, so cloth was never an issue/inconvenience.

LOL, about the smuggling!

I didn't, but would definitely look at HS with a different eye today if I were raising a young family again.

How about yourself?

Yup. My older one is in college pt and working pt. My younger is still homeschooling.

Can I ask what attracted you to join a homeschooling and after schooling board for fans of the Well Trained Mind?

I am almost 50, my kids are 19, 18, and nearly 16. I used cloth but did so at a time when I could afford cute velcro cloth diapers made at WAH moms. Loved them and the cute cloth covered bottoms running all over the house.

My sister, however, got kicked out of Girl Scouts over the issue of cloth diapers.

She was in Girl Scouts, and they had a baby care unit. She is 11 years older than me, and I had just been born. It was 1966. She diapered the doll using the cloth diaper (Prefolds, pins, rubber pants) The leader told her she was wrong in how she did it. Sister informed leader that was how they diapered me at home. Leader again informed sister that she was wrong. My sister told the leader to go to hell.

Sister was kicked out. But she hung out at school on Girl Scout days so she wasn't home early, and my parents never knew until just before my mom died about 10 years ago.

Like Joanne, I'm sneaking up on 50.  Kids are 23, 21, 19 and 13 now and were all cloth diapered.

Never used pins or rubber pants - we always used the Gerber velcro diaper covers and flat diapers.  I loved the way the diapers came out all soft and warm from the dryer!  When my mom was alive, folding diapers was one of her favorite tasks around the house (she lived with us).

DH always washed the diapers for me as the pail was too heavy for me to pour into my top-load washing machine.

I am almost 50, my kids are 19, 18, and nearly 16. I used cloth but did so at a time when I could afford cute velcro cloth diapers made at WAH moms. Loved them and the cute cloth covered bottoms running all over the house.

My sister, however, got kicked out of Girl Scouts over the issue of cloth diapers.

She was in Girl Scouts, and they had a baby care unit. She is 11 years older than me, and I had just been born. It was 1966. She diapered the doll using the cloth diaper (Prefolds, pins, rubber pants) The leader told her she was wrong in how she did it. Sister informed leader that was how they diapered me at home. Leader again informed sister that she was wrong. My sister told the leader to go to hell.

Sister was kicked out. But she hung out at school on Girl Scout days so she wasn't home early, and my parents never knew until just before my mom died about 10 years ago.

I tips me hat to your sister for her standing her ground.

I had changed my fair-share of diapers (baby siblings) by the time I reached my early double digits, so when I started babysitting I was no stranger to cloth diapers, and I recall my mom saying to me one day, "as long as the diaper is fastened, stays on, and does the job it's supposed to do, then you've changed it properly". In other words, there was no such thing as right or wrong.

Like Joanne, I'm sneaking up on 50.  Kids are 23, 21, 19 and 13 now and were all cloth diapered.

Never used pins or rubber pants - we always used the Gerber velcro diaper covers and flat diapers.  I loved the way the diapers came out all soft and warm from the dryer!  When my mom was alive, folding diapers was one of her favorite tasks around the house (she lived with us).

DH always washed the diapers for me as the pail was too heavy for me to pour into my top-load washing machine.

LOL! My mom used to babysit for us, and she made it loud and clear right from the get-go... "baby is to be in cloth diapers, or I won't be babysitting"! I still laugh about it today.

Ah... you did the wet pail method when you diapered. I did that for a time before switching over to the dry pail method. No more splashing when emptying out the diaper pail into the washing machine, and nor more splitting my guts trying to wrestle that old pail from the bathroom and down the basement stairs!

O.o

OMG

I had hoped we were past spanking babies, or at the very least at a point where nobody would actually brag about it....

:(

I'm hoping that most of the posters who are participating in this trip down memory lane missed this post about PE actually *hitting a baby* during diaper changes as a matter of course.

Otherwise...what the heck? It's not cute or nostalgic to remember those good old days when babies were hit during diaper changes...or any other time.

If you have to hit a baby to change her diaper, that is seriously messed up.

I'm hoping that most of the posters who are participating in this trip down memory lane missed this post about PE actually *hitting a baby* during diaper changes as a matter of course.

Otherwise...what the heck? It's not cute or nostalgic to remember those good old days when babies were hit during diaper changes...or any other time.

You know I was thinking the same thing while reading this post.  Selective reading I hope!

I always think the term 'dry pail method' is slightly funny because it sounds more technical than it is. I call it 'chuck it in a bucket'.

LOL! Now that you mention it I have to say that it does sound rather technical! Funny how one tends to never think of certain things regarding practices and ways, yet when someone brings light to the matter, suddenly, it's right there in front of you in full-colour!

Seeing three, four, sometimes five or more babies all lined-up in a row getting their diapers changed, never failed to spark excitement among those in attendance!

OK, that is just bizarre.

What kind of "excitement" are you talking about? :confused: Because never in my life have I seen a bunch of moms get "excited" about changing their babies' diapers.

:iagree: