Menu

The impossible person to buy for -- my mom. I need ideas. Help!

Stacia

Update:

Thanks so much, everyone.

After some research, I was able to purchase tickets to a sold-out event that I think she'll love. I'm planning to give the tickets to her & my dd. I will drive them, drop them at the door, & then pick them up afterward.

Shopping done. Yay!

------------------------------------

I am hoping someone here can work a miracle for me & come up w/ some kind of fabulous gift idea for my mom. I have pretty much an impossible time finding her a gift or gifts. I am open to any ideas, esp. anything different or off-the-wall -- I am getting desperate!

She doesn't need or like any of the 'regular' gifts I can think of: clothing, perfume/makeup, housewares, books, travel stuff, car stuff, gift cards (she really hates getting gift cards), photo type gifts, exercise/health related stuff, warm weather wear like hats/gloves/coats, etc.... Money doesn't work because, quite frankly, my parents have way more $ than we do so any amount I could get together for something like a gift would be a small amount by their standards, kwim? And, if I ask for ideas, she never gives me any.

Years ago, I always used to get us tickets to Stars on Ice type shows, & I would drive, as well as taking her out to dinner that night. She loved doing that, but ice shows seem to be few & far between these days. There are none in our area.

I've also done things like symphony tickets in the past (including a Saturday morning series of 3 or 4 concerts a long time ago where they had a short lecture, coffee & donuts, & then the concert). Again, they don't do that anymore, plus she sometimes travels, so she's not always in town.

Sometimes I'll luck out & find something that she seems to like, just by random chance (a fluffy pillow she uses in her recliner, a pretty throw blanket), but most of the time I think I miss the invisible gift giving mark by more than a mile. After so many years, I'm burned out on just wandering aimlessly around trying to find something, anything that will work.

I would love to get her something she loves. I just have no idea what that would be.

Help???!!!

Geez that is hard.   I am giving a lot of food gifts this year.  I was teasing with dh and said I was doing all my shopping at the grocery and liquor store this year :laugh:. Hey it is what they like and I know it will get used. 

:lol:

Well, I use food stuff for her stocking. (We do stockings for everyone in the family around here.) And, she doesn't drink.

Oh dear, Stacia!  Let's see. 

What is her age range? 

Music cd from her era

DVD's

Book and companion DVD

Class at the local community college or Michaels (you could both take a class together!)  Do you live local to one another?

Robe?

Tote with monogramming if she likes that

Nice framed picture of the family

Spa for a day or half day, etc

Fish/tank (small one)

Nice exotic potted plant (they can be quite pricey if truly exotic)

Does she garden? If yes, then maybe heirloom seeds/plantlets? A pair of Sloggers? My mil loves the pair I bought her for gardening. I have 2 pairs for myself. One pair for walking the dog and the other I use as house shoes. They make great rain shoes as well. So one does not have to be a gardener to enjoy them. 

I've purchased my mom (also very difficult to shop for) a trellis and bougainvillea plant and planted it in her yard. I've also gotten her trees and various bushes for her yard. 

Birdbath? My mom put hers right in front of a large window next to the bird feeder so she can sit and watch them. 

Is there a TV show series she used to watch years ago that is available on DVD or BluRay? We got my mil the Waltons series on DVD and she loves it. 

This year we are installing a back splash in her kitchen. Well, I say "we" but it is really my dh who is installing it. :D  He's doing it today in fact. My parents left for a cruise today so he's heading over there to start. It will be a surprise when they get back in a week. 

Mother/Daughter make over day?

Massage package?

Super nice boiled wool or sheep skin slippers?  

Electric heated throw blanket or bed liner?

High count bed sheets?

Pottery making session/class?

ipod or mp3 loaded with her favorite music?  

My mom's the same way. I think of the things we have in common and then get her the things in those areas that I have that I love. My big hits have been:

Theracane

Microwavable thing that sits on your shoulders and smells like lavender

John Green books

An herb keeper

An unusual tupperware container that would be perfect for that one thing she makes

These are all things that I've had for years so I know they're good. This year will be yoga pants. She's never worn them, she loves to wear sweats, and she just moved to Arizona. I'm going to roll them up before I wrap them and tell her she needs to keep them in the freezer to throw her off.

I had my kids learn certain piano pieces for my mom for Christmas this year. Me learning piano as a child was sort of her thing, so it really means a lot to her that my kids are learning. The amount of time (not to mention money) I put into them learning by helping them practice is astronomically more than I have ever put into a present for her. I'm hoping this works for the coming decade... 

My mom also goes gaga over pictures of the grandkids and event presents. Many of our presents now are things she is getting out of her house, so I don't want to add things to her house.

Good luck!

My friend had a family like this. Every year they bough the same apron for everyone and had their name put on it. It sounds silly, but they liked the idea that each time they put it on they were wearing the same thing even though they were far away. It was nice that it didn't have to be sized or anything. Like this, using the personalized option. It wasn't whether they already had an apron or not, it was that they all had the same annual apron for the year and were connected that way. There's a kid size too, if she wants to feel connected to grandkid(s), maybe?

How about a credit at Audible? Even though she doesn't need books, would she enjoy listening in the car?

A donation to a cause she supports?

After some research, I was able to purchase tickets to a sold-out event that I think she'll love. I'm planning to give the tickets to her & my dd. I will drive them, drop them at the door, & then pick them up afterward.

Shopping done. Yay!

Shopping done. Yay!

Perfect! I was going to suggest some sort of theater tickets too, but then I saw you had already updated.