Menu

How do you sing "I'm a Little Teapot"?

Jean in Newcastle

So am I the only one who never sang this song except far, far back in my youth? Is that why my boys have issues in life?

We never used tea pots or kettles in our house. I'll confess to using our microwave to heat water for tea. It just has a bell when it's ready.

I've not been able to heat water in the microwave since I heard Patrick Stewart make disparaging remarks on that method. I'd hate to imagine the disappointment in his eyes.

So am I the only one who never sang this song except far, far back in my youth? Is that why my boys have issues in life?

We never used tea pots or kettles in our house. I'll confess to using our microwave to heat water for tea. It just has a bell when it's ready.

I don't care about the song, but tea from a microwave? Blasphemous!!

:p

I've not been able to heat water in the microwave since I heard Patrick Stewart make disparaging remarks on that method. I'd hate to imagine the disappointment in his eyes.

Hmm, never heard his remarks (and even if you link it, our internet connection isn't fast enough for videos at home), but if it meant I could actually see his eyes in person, I'd be ok with him telling me about it in person.  ;)

I don't care about the song, but tea from a microwave? Blasphemous!!

:p

Tea from a microwave?  Nah.  It's hot water from a microwave - then the (green) tea bag goes into it.  ;)

Quite honestly, my taste buds don't particularly even like tea, but it's far better than coffee in taste and a wee bit healthier than soda for caffeine, so I put up with it.

There.  Now you know another reason I'm a little "off."  Maybe majorly "off."

We all have to have our confessions once in a while.

Some people live to cook.  I cook to live.  My guys know if they ever get filthy rich one of the best presents they could give their dear ole mama is a personal chef - one who is open to learning my family recipes that I love for when I want to be decadent (but still don't care to cook) and has the knowledge to prepare tasty healthy recipes the rest of the time.  Perhaps then the tea will be made correctly?

It's too late for a nanny to teach them all the songs they should know... everyone has gaps in their education.

Hmm, never heard his remarks (and even if you link it, our internet connection isn't fast enough for videos at home), but if it meant I could actually see his eyes in person, I'd be ok with him telling me about it in person. ;)

Tea from a microwave? Nah. It's hot water from a microwave - then the (green) tea bag goes into it. ;)

Quite honestly, my taste buds don't particularly even like tea, but it's far better than coffee in taste and a wee bit healthier than soda for caffeine, so I put up with it.

There. Now you know another reason I'm a little "off." Maybe majorly "off."

Some people live to cook. I cook to live. My guys know if they ever get filthy rich one of the best presents they could give their dear ole mama is a personal chef - one who is open to learning my family recipes that I love for when I want to be decadent (but still don't care to cook) and has the knowledge to prepare tasty healthy recipes the rest of the time. Perhaps then the tea will be made correctly?

It's too late for a nanny to teach them all the songs they should know... everyone has gaps in their education.

Nobody's taste buds like tea with microwaved water. It does weird things to the flavor of the tea. I'm convinced half the people who don't like tea have never had a decently prepared cup.

It's nearly impossible to get a good cup of tea away from home because coffee places do the water wrong too. Try using a kettle or pot, and pulling the water off the heat when it's just on the edge of a boil. Let the tea steep for 3-4 minutes, then try it. It really does taste very different from microwaved tea water.

Nobody's taste buds like tea with microwaved water. It does weird things to the flavor of the tea. I'm convinced half the people who don't like tea have never had a decently prepared cup.

It's nearly impossible to get a good cup of tea away from home because coffee places do the water wrong too. Try using a kettle or pot, and pulling the water off the heat when it's just on the edge of a boil. Let the tea steep for 3-4 minutes, then try it. It really does taste very different from microwaved tea water.

For younger kids you can turn this into a science lesson about WHY this works. What is different about heating the water in the microwave? What is different about boiling it? All sorts of fun science. And then finish up by singing the teapot song. BOOM - UNIT STUDY!

Hmm, having now tried both side by side, I can't taste the difference.

I'm gathering I don't have as many taste buds as some of you (which is not a surprise to me to be honest).  I have more than anyone else in my immediate family other than youngest son, so it doesn't make a difference here.  I'm the only one who doesn't care for tea (or coffee).  My other boys seemed to get hubby's genetics in that aspect.  He was raised with iced tea in his bottle (seriously), but he also likes hot versions - and pretty much everything else.  He can't tell the difference between Coke and Dr. Pepper though.  I'd have never thought THAT was possible as Dr. Pepper makes me gag.  Tea is at least tolerable as long as it's unsweetened.  (Hubby and the boys like it sweet or unsweet.)

It was interesting to try though - and it is interesting to see the differences in our abilities to taste things (or not).

Hmm, never heard his remarks (and even if you link it, our internet connection isn't fast enough for videos at home), but if it meant I could actually see his eyes in person, I'd be ok with him telling me about it in person. ;)

Tea from a microwave? Nah. It's hot water from a microwave - then the (green) tea bag goes into it. ;)

There. Now you know another reason I'm a little "off." Maybe majorly "off."

Some people live to cook. I cook to live. My guys know if they ever get filthy rich one of the best presents they could give their dear ole mama is a personal chef - one who is open to learning my family recipes that I love for when I want to be decadent (but still don't care to cook) and has the knowledge to prepare tasty healthy recipes the rest of the time. Perhaps then the tea will be made correctly?

LOL at gaps.

Personal chef is top of my gift wishlist every year. I barely even cook to live. That is what restaurants are for. ;)

I'm gathering I don't have as many taste buds as some of you (which is not a surprise to me to be honest). I have more than anyone else in my immediate family other than youngest son, so it doesn't make a difference here. I'm the only one who doesn't care for tea (or coffee). My other boys seemed to get hubby's genetics in that aspect. He was raised with iced tea in his bottle (seriously), but he also likes hot versions - and pretty much everything else. He can't tell the difference between Coke and Dr. Pepper though. I'd have never thought THAT was possible as Dr. Pepper makes me gag. Tea is at least tolerable as long as it's unsweetened. (Hubby and the boys like it sweet or unsweet.)

It was interesting to try though - and it is interesting to see the differences in our abilities to taste things (or not).

I have to sit down. You have just broken my heart. That one experiment usually converts people. I think my taste buds ARE especially sensitive, but tea with microwaved water tastes SO different to me that I was sure anyone could taste it. It makes it taste old and bitter to me (I lack a tea experts vocabulary to describe this correctly . . . I do the same with wine.)

Is it possible that you're using yucky tea. I'm not a snob about using tea bags even though loose tastes better, but i do think Lipton and the generic bargain bags like it are only palatable in sweetened, iced tea. Are you steeping it too long? That'll make it gross too.

I can't hack coffee because all I taste is the bitter. I drink my black tea with milk and a little sugar and that eliminates any bitterness for me. I drink green, white, herbals, and blends with nothing added to them. If I over-brew green tea, I just start over :-/

My college roomie married a Brit. I used to tease her about heating the water in a proper kettle to the exact right temperature and foraging for the best tea leaves at the right phase of the moon. No microwaved tea water at her house!

I'm gathering I don't have as many taste buds as some of you (which is not a surprise to me to be honest).  I have more than anyone else in my immediate family other than youngest son, so it doesn't make a difference here.  I'm the only one who doesn't care for tea (or coffee).  My other boys seemed to get hubby's genetics in that aspect.  He was raised with iced tea in his bottle (seriously), but he also likes hot versions - and pretty much everything else.  He can't tell the difference between Coke and Dr. Pepper though.  I'd have never thought THAT was possible as Dr. Pepper makes me gag.  Tea is at least tolerable as long as it's unsweetened.  (Hubby and the boys like it sweet or unsweet.)

My kids were raised with iced tea in their bottles. I was raised in the south. What else is there to drink? Coffee and alcohol that's what! Coffee in the morning, alcohol at night and iced tea the rest of the time.