Menu

Teaching a 6 year old to knit

Collins4

Kids Knittng by Melanie Falick is a good book with simple projects.

Lion Brand sells a needle set that is 2 different colors, which helps with knowing what needle you're working with. They are size 10 which is a nice size to hold onto.

If you know how to knit, cast on for her and just let her practice knit stitch.

If you don't know how, I'd suggest a coupon for a mommy-daughter class at a local knitting store or teacher.

My dd has worked with some of the knitting looms.  It's a good way to get used to working with yarn, but easier than using needles.

Yep. I've failed several times trying to learn to knit with needles (fine motor coordination is NOT my strong suit, LOL!) but I love knitting with my Knifty Knitter. My oldest learned when she was 5 and I bet my little one could do it now (assuming I could get her to understand that yarn is for knitting rather than playing with).

If you know how to knit I suggest casting on a cowl in chunky yarn and in the round so she can just master knit stitch, no need to turn, harder to drop chunky stitches, stop when you want to.

If that is fun, for the next project you could work garter stitch (doll blanket or similar) or do the same project with purl stitches.

Start small to keep up enthusiasm!

Thanks for all the ideas! I do not have any knitting (or sewing!) skills so I am going to tr to learn with her. I am checking out the book recommended. And youtube videos are at the top of my list! I am excited to start leaening with her. When she is a little older our co-op has a class that we can take as well.

Just so you know, the hardest part is the first row. When I taught knitting to kids I would cast on and knit the first row or two, then hand it to them to continue. Since that isn't an option for you, just remember that if the first row is a struggle, it WILL get easier.

Also, I had my kids count the number of stitches on the needle at the end of every row or two of their first small project. That way we quickly discovered if we suddenly had more or fewer.

YouTube is awesome.  If you have a visual child the books might work well.  I am abysmal in my visual skills so the books are quite confusing.  There is some picture someplace Dh took of me with my brow all furrowed, my tongue sticking out, and yarn mashed up everywhere as I stare at a knitting book trying to figure out just what is going on.  ::sigh::  So just don't fret if the book only confuses your daughter or yourself! 

Pinterest is another place to find lots of projects, beginner tutorials, and fabulous websites/blogs that focus on fiber arts.