Menu

Gifts for a foodie??

Moxie

What about going to UrbanSpoon and getting her a gift certificate to some of the cool/popular new restaurants that she hasn't tried?

Gift certificate for cooking lessons? 

Zingermans has great stuff for foodies.  Look for the ships free for a flat rate stuff.  We have friends who love their special sausages and bacon. 

Cookbooks are always good.  Does she have chefs she likes/admires?

What about a v-slicer (mandoline), dasher (cookie scoop), or something like that?

Amazon has this salt sampler http://www.amazon.com/The-Gourmet-Sea-Salt-Sampler/dp/B002NO2ITC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CY3QW4R31S0MJCB97GX

www.penzeys.com does nice gift sets and has some unusual or (to me) or less common spices, blends, etc. There are multiple businesses selling gourmet specialty oils and vinegars (www.doveoliveoil.com is one  that we've sampled in one of their stores). We once received a shiitake mushroom patch from White Flower Farms that was fun (grow your own shiitake mushrooms). Cheesemaking kit https://www.thegrommet.com/gifts/cooking/urban-cheesecraft-diy-cheese-kits ? Samplers of any kind of food---cheese, honey, sausage, coffee, tea, that sort of thing. The locavore movement is pretty big among some foodies--maybe a gift certificate or gift basket from a local farm, cheesemaker, restaurant that uses local ingredients, etc, either from your area or hers?

Are you familiar with Moravian cookies (paperthin crispy cookies in various flavors, particularly sugar or ginger)? Dewey's bakery has great ones (the chocolate backed ginger ones are very addictive), as well as cheese straws, sugar cake, etc  www.deweys.com  or you can order from Old Salem (a restored Moravian settlement here in NC)--http://shop.oldsalem.org/category/old_salem_foods. I find the Dewey's cookies and sugar cake to be equally as good as Winkler's, personally.

Penzey's has excellent gift sets.  If she is a foodie, avoid the ones that have premixed combos.  She is going to be wanting to mix up her own blends.

If you're going for something more pricey, Williams Sonoma has vertical indoor planters that I think would be perfect for fresh herbs.

Pampered Chef has the best salad spinner I have ever seen.

Williams Sonoma has chef's aprons that can be monogrammed.

If you want cooking stuff vs. actual food, does she have an electric pressure cooker? You could do something like the instapot combined with a cookbook.  I would ask if she has any interest in something like that first, however.

Zoodler? (vegetable spiralizer)

I assume she has a dutch or french oven?  (Le Creuset or the one Costco sells)

Bummer no TJs.  They have some great stuff this time of the year.  Truffle salt, sets of nut oils, etc.

If all else fails, look at Sur la Table and Williams Sonoma like PPs suggested.

Mortar and pestle?

Depending on budget, prepay for a CSA membership?

Thermapen?

I'm a foodie!!!!

One of my new favorite obsessions is going to this oil and vinegar tap room in Annapolis.

http://seasonstaproom.com

Oh my. You have not tasted balsamic vinegar until you have tried these. Seriously. We *LOVE* them!!

So far, my two favorite balsamic vinegars are the blackberry ginger, and red apple. Holy cow.

Our favorite olive oil is Hojiblanca.

I know, you think- what? Oil is oil. And vinegar??? But *trust me*. This stuff tastes completely different from the junk you get at the grocery store.

Penzey's currently has a gift box that is half price- so right now it's $10 and includes four spices. They have two new boxes but my favorite for your mom would be the one that includes the kitchen towel that says "Love People. Cook Them Tasty Food".  The towels are large, soft, and absorbent.  

My MIL has a birthday coming up and Christmas, of course. She is a real foodie. She loves trying new things, dining out, cooking, talking about food, all of it. Any gift ideas??

A rough budget would be useful, but my Mom loves the Oxo "good grips" kitchen tools, as they are much easier for her to use as she gets older, and they are a kind of "little luxury" she'd never buy for herself.

If you are looking for a magazine subscription that is somewhat unusual, you could try Art Culinaire. They are actually hard cover books with no advertising rather than your typical recipe magazine, so rather hard-core, but someone who is really interested in food might enjoy them.  They have recipes, lots of nice photos, and chef profiles.  I'd say it is geared toward professionals, sort of the American version of the fabulous Thuries Gastronomie magazine (which I would recommend if she reads French).

And a freebie: she should check out my friend Shola's blog, not recently updated,, but filled with inspiring photos and loads of interesting ideas: http://www.studiokitchen.com/studio-kitchen  (I am pretty sure it was he who gifted me my first issue of ArtCulinaire.)

King Arthur flour sells tons of baking tools and equipment as well as special extracts, spices, and baking mixes. Their catalog is a great read and always has recipes to try.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-home/index.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand&utm_keyword=King%20Arthur%20Flour&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhvujBRDUpomG5cq_mI0BEiQA7TYq-svgR7AOqZ5iHRez1nrmaMMRJ9aSCtFfQIS8rwYcXPEaAjYK8P8HAQ