Menu

FYI: Instant Pot on lightning deal at Amazon right now for $106.99

TeaTotaler

So is this something that would be good for doing a ton of freezer cooking over a weekend? I've never used a pressure cooker before, but dh and I love to cook all weekend and freeze as much as we can. Usually we have a few things going in the slow-cookers and on the stove-top, but I would love if the cooking were faster for some items, like some of the stews or pot roasts we make.

Wish this wasn't so tempting. It's not an amazing price, but it is something I know I'll eventually get and the discount is nice. I have seen it at this price before just once and when shipping was going to be quite delayed.

I think it was that price a couple months ago and I didn't buy it then. I've been kicking myself and watching it since then. I remember too that shipping was delayed at that time.

I need to look up some recipes for when it gets here, but I think I'm having DH give it to me for Christmas.

I got an instant pot last Christmas and it has been an amazing kitchen tool.  I use it almost daily and sometimes more than once a day.  I love everything about it but I use it most often for cooking beans and soups. I can go from dry, unsoaked beans to tender cooked beans in 20-30 minutes. If you're on the fence about getting one, just do it.

You guys had me thinking this was some new cooking technology that I'd missed. It's just an electric pressure cooker. Right? Not that a pressure cooker isn't a beautiful, magical thing. Or is this a bit different? I'd hate to miss out on the culinary equivalent of a flying car just because I don't understand what I'm looking at.

I have one and use it daily. My latest discovery is that you can make boiled eggs in it and the shells just slip right off, even on fresh eggs!

I read a chapter in a Julia Childs cookbook where she compared different methods of boiling eggs.  Pressure cooker was the best.  Steaming was second.  Rolling boil was the worst.  In both pressure cooker and steaming, steam was forced under the shell so peeling was easy.  

You guys had me thinking this was some new cooking technology that I'd missed. It's just an electric pressure cooker. Right? Not that a pressure cooker isn't a beautiful, magical thing. Or is this a bit different? I'd hate to miss out on the culinary equivalent of a flying car just because I don't understand what I'm looking at.

Mine just arrived yesterday and I'm getting it for Christmas so I haven't used it yet.

Besides the pressure cooking, you can sauté in it so you can brown meat before pressure cooking and it can be used as a slow cooker.

I am most interested in using it to cook meat.

Well, in addition to using it as a regular pressure cooker, you can also saute, steam, slow cook, make yogurt.  I'd never used a pressure cooker previously because I was afraid to...no fear with this thing.  I guess if you already have a PC that you love, maybe the added functions wouldn't be enough reason to get the IP.