Menu

Is Ritter a common candy brand in Germany/Europe, like Hershey's is in the states?

katilac

Far as I know the brand is only known for its chocolate, not any other candy. And actually I always think of it as "Ritter Sport" - I had to think a minute what "Ritter chocolate" is as without the "Sport" it was hard to figure out. It is a common kind of chocolate though. However, I would think Milka (also chocolate) is even better known. And Haribo of course sells all kinds of gummy bears etc.

And frankly I think it's overpriced and not one of the best chocolates I've had from Germany.

I agree that it is not one of the best chocolates, but I disagree that it is overpriced - at 0.69 Euro it is among the cheap brands.

EVERY chocolate that is imported into the US is ridiculously overpriced when it is sold here, compared to its original price in Germany. The markups vary depending on the store.

Far as I know the brand is only known for its chocolate, not any other candy. And actually I always think of it as "Ritter Sport" - I had to think a minute what "Ritter chocolate" is as without the "Sport" it was hard to figure out. It is a common kind of chocolate though. However, I would think Milka (also chocolate) is even better known. And Haribo of course sells all kinds of gummy bears etc.

I haven't seen Milka here in the states. We're limited to what we can buy at World Market, lol. 

I'm a fan of the marzipan bars!

They have a variety pack, so we'll get to try those! Just for fun, though; there's no Hershey's marzipan to compare it with. 

Yep it is.  And frankly I think it's overpriced and not one of the best chocolates I've had from Germany.

Overpriced but still an everyday sort of candy? 

Yeah, Milka is yummy and there's always a big display in the supermarket. I really like Milka daim. Much more popular than Ritter.

Ritter has 17 percent of the German chocolate bar market, second only to Kraft's Milka brand.  Or so says Wiki.de.  Hershey is the biggest chocolate company in North America.

Ritter has 1,000 employees.  Hershey has 14,800.

They are both named after their founders and have over 100 years of history.  Both are sold worldwide.

I'd say Hershey is definitely a bigger company, but the US is a bigger country.  It seems a fair comparison.

It's not overpriced in Germany - it's among the cheap brands. 0.69 Euro for the regular square bar. Very everyday candy.

The multi packs of the minis are more expensive.

My husband always says it's overpriced.  He literally cringes when people send it to him.  Like why are they sending me this overpriced candy when there is better cheaper stuff. 

Maybe he is thinking Aldi chocolate in Germany or something.

Ritter has 17 percent of the German chocolate bar market, second only to Kraft's Milka brand.  Or so says Wiki.de.  Hershey is the biggest chocolate company in North America.

Ritter has 1,000 employees.  Hershey has 14,800.

They are both named after their founders and have over 100 years of history.  Both are sold worldwide.

I'd say Hershey is definitely a bigger company, but the US is a bigger country.  It seems a fair comparison.

It's worth noting that a lot of what we call chocolate in the US would only be called chocolate flavored candy in Germany. A lot of our chocolate doesn't have enough cocoa to be called chocolate in Germany. So, that eliminates some of the competition for the largest share of the *chocolate* market.

Liking your post Lawyer&Mom, but I'm out of likes.  I was actually thinking of the European chocolate market, not just Germany, but that's OK.

I forgot that Cadbury and Toblerone was both bought by Kraft/Mondelez.  So yeah...they're probably way up there.  

When I lived in Switzerland, my favorite candy bar was a Kägi-Fret.  It was kind of like a Kit Kat only better (IMHO).  

I agree that it is not one of the best chocolates, but I disagree that it is overpriced - at 0.69 Euro it is among the cheap brands.

EVERY chocolate that is imported into the US is ridiculously overpriced when it is sold here, compared to its original price in Germany. The markups vary depending on the store.

I LOVE it! I got totally addicted to it while in Germany years ago.

And I get sooo excited when on the rare occasions I find it in Australia. :laugh: