Menu

People/Places for kids to write that will respond or send samples/coupons/gifts

Like writing the president or ???

Writing personal and business letters is our writing curriculum this year which has been so fun for my children!  My older ones are sending out a letter weekly and running out of ideas.  Any and all ideas are welcome!

Thanks so much in advance!

Also, check environmental and conservation organizations. I know the Lake Erie Watersnake study (respectthesnake.org, I think) will send a free temporary tattoo if you send a SASE, and Advocates for Snake Preservation will also respond to kids with a "be a snake Hero" sticker (again, an SASE is appreciated-both of these are research studies primarily that have non-profit status and do a lot of advocacy). The Sea Turtle Conservancy has a neat set of posters they'll send out for the cost of shipping (if you live outside Florida) and would be another good group to write. I imagine this is the case basically across the board for any organization that depends on fundraising dollars :), and animal groups often are very responsive to kids.

Most consumer goods companies will send a form letter with coupons:  Kellogg's, Quaker Oats, Frito Lay (my DH got some really cool Chester Cheetah stuff including a fridge magnet clip we still use), General Mills, etc. (Sorry, I used to work for one of the previously-named breakfast food companies, so that's what comes to mind.)

Toy companies should answer, too, but I'm not sure what type of coupons or fun stuff you might get from them.

Basically, I'd have them write to whomever makes something they really like. If you guys go to the movies, they can write to the local theater with a positive comment and also an idea for improvement. They might get a free popcorn coupon or a discount coupon for a movie ticket.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

If there is a career your kids are interested in you could try to find a business nearby that does that, maybe they could find a professional pen pal. I mean when I was working I would have responded to a letter telling me someone is fascinated by inductors and transformers. I don't know how many kid letters Google or Apple might get, so I don't know if they would respond. You may have to find a less mainstream company (even if it's still big).

On 11/11/2014 at 6:32 PM, Dmmetler said:

The president and our state senator both responded to DD-the president with a form letter and packet of pictures/ other stuff, the senator with a letter that actually showed that someone had read DD's letter and responded to it over Lamar Alexander's signature.

That’s awesome the President wrote back. When my daughter wrote to Trump she got NO response. That deflated her and any hopes of remotely respecting him. 

1 hour ago, Earthmerlin said:

That’s awesome the President wrote back. When my daughter wrote to Trump she got NO response. That deflated her and any hopes of remotely respecting him. 

Reagan’s office didn’t respond to my 4th grade letter, and I haven’t forgotten. 

• Like 1

It was pretty obvious that this was something Obama's people did regularly. They had a packet of material ready to send out, all kid friendly and focused (including pictures of the family and Bo, information on Water dogs, information on Michelle's child nutrition outreach and lots of activities to do, a National Parks junior ranger guide for the white house, etc. I'm guessing they had materials filed by age of child writing and pulled a packet, did a copy/paste on the standard letter, and mailed it.

I'm kind of surprised that's something that other presidents don't do, because it seems like a relatively easy thing for the staff to do that makes kids happy (and gets talked about 7 years later!!!)

If your kids are fans of the Battlebots TV show, many of the teams will send stickers if you send them an SASE and appreciate kid letters/art quite a bit. Most teams have their own FB pages and share stuff like that that they've received, too (like the non-profits I mentioned above, they would also appreciate a small donation-bot building is an expensive hobby). 

3 hours ago, Acorn said:

Reagan’s office didn’t respond to my 4th grade letter, and I haven’t forgotten. 

Bush responded to my fifth grade letter criticizing our participation in the Gulf War with a form letter thanking me for supporting our troops….  

• Confused 1