Menu

Favorite Boxed Book Sets for Gifting?

bibliophile

Ditto Horrible Histories.  

For younger kids the Franny K. Stein books have been a huge hit.  

ETA:  I see you mentioned preteen boy ... Artemis Fowl is popular.  Have they already read all the Percy Jackson books?

How about The Complete Calvin and Hobbes [bOX SET]? It's available in paperback as well as hardback.

Regards,

Kareni

Ohhhhhh, LOL, I had to collect different books to get close to this collection. I never thought DD would giggle over these books, and I'm opposed to comics, but DH insisted. Absolutely insisted that these are vital for her academic success and mental well-being. So I agreed immediately. :D

Tween boys? Any of the various Rick Riordan series, The Underland Chronicles, The Secret Series, Artemis Fowl... and I just noted as I checked to see if those have box sets that there's an Amulet box set, so I'll add that.

Seconding the Horrible Histories, Horrible Science, Murderous Maths idea as well...

Agreeing with The Dark is Rising, and adding Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books, as classic choices.

Oh yes! How could I forget that? I just listened to all the audiobooks again myself :lol: 

Maybe the Maze Runner books? I've only read the first one, so I'm not sure about the appropriateness of the rest, but I think that should be OK for pre-teens.

Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

Beyonders set by Brandon Mull

(Five Kingdoms, also Brandon Mull)

The 13th Reality by James Dashner (author of the Maze Runner, also recommended)/dp/1442484527/

The Alex Rider series, if you can find a boxed set!  By Anthony Horowitz  (There are a few curse words in these)

The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan

The Heir Chronicles series by Cinda Williams Chima  (Also, the Seven Realms series)

Larklight trilogy by Philip Reeve

The Mistmantle Chronicles by M.I. McAllister

Some of these are for teens, but our kids seem to pass over the whole "preteen" age group when it comes to reading.  We just try not to have too much gratuitous violence or swearing, etc.  My 13yo has read most of these already.

How about The Complete Calvin and Hobbes [bOX SET]?  It's available in paperback as well as hardback.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes!  This.  

I had almost all the books and then when DD was four years old DH convinced me to donate them all to Goodwill.   :glare:   We are now in the process of buying those exact same books whenever we find them at Half Price books now.