Menu

Mystery book suggestions?

My older girls are well past Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys but do enjoy reading a good mystery. They have read the original Sherlock books (well my oldest has read them all). We all would be interested in a light hearted mystery series that isn't murder every single time. I have read the Cat Who mysteries but even they get quite the body count in a few of them. We have read Murder on the Orient Express but I don't know a lot about Agathe Christie other than what I have seen on BBC.

Teen level or adult doesn't matter. We would rather skip really gruesome descriptions and lots of foul language.

Thank you for whatever suggestions you can throw my way!

When I was a youngster I loved mysteries. My favorite author was Christopher Pike. I think I probably read them all! However, it has been 20 years so I don't remember much about them. It seems like they were suspenseful, but not scary. I don't like scary. :)

When I was a youngster I loved mysteries. My favorite author was Christopher Pike. I think I probably read them all! However, it has been 20 years so I don't remember much about them. It seems like they were suspenseful, but not scary. I don't like scary. :)

I read all these as a kid too - I would point my child in a different direction though.  I remember them having some sleezy undertones and poor writing.

DD loves:

Flavia De Luce

Roman Mysteries

Enola Holmes

39 Clues

Chasing Vermeer

I'd check out Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series, and Poiroit series. There are murders, but they're gentile and discreet.

Agatha Christie has written an enormous number of books with various "heros" to solve the mysteries. Tommy and Tuppence are great, especially for girls. 

To get a quick taste for Christie, try out a couple books with her short stories where the mysteries are solved very quickly. Her longer novels can get a bit dull in the middle.

Short stories include:

Poirot's Early Cases

The Big Four (Poirot)

The Labors of Hercules (Poirot)

The Thirteen Problems (Marple)

Partners in Crime (Tommy and Tuppence)

If you get hooked on the short mysteries, it's a lot easier to transition to the longer books, IME.

I'll second Alexander Mccall Smith's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, and add his Sunday Philosophy Club series as well.

Elizabeth Peters is great for a light read.

Ngaio Marsh and  Elizabeth Tey are golden age British crime novelists similar to Agatha Christie. While their stories do include murders, they're not focused on gore as much as character and plot. I particularly enjoyed Tey's Daughter of Time, which tries to redeem Richard III, The Franchise Affair, and Brat Farrar.

Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree is also a great story with suspense but no gore that I recall. You might also like her Thornyhold.

Finally, a more modern series in which art history and atmosphere of Italy outweighs blood, as far as I remember, is written by Iain Pears. I think Giotto's Hand might be the first.

Hope some of these suit!

ETA Josephine Tey, of course! I knew something didn't sound right there.

The Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters. I read them for the first time at that age and still go back for  re-read during rough times as a pick-me-up.

Love these! Very appropriate, no bad language or gruesome stuff. They mostly take place in Egypt on archeological digs and are super fun.