Menu

"Are we there yet?"

Sdel

one of 2ds's friend's told how their family would always say "45 minutes".  it could be 45 minutes or 25 minutes - or 10 hours, but the answer was always the same.  I should ask his mom how that one started . . . . (as the friend is the youngest child and we've known them since his sisters were preschoolers.)

Years ago I heard of this strategy for long care rides (for ex: the yearly vacation):

Each child received a roll of quarters. Every time a child asked, "Are we there yet?", they were charged one quarter. The parents may have fined children for arguments too. Whatever they had left at the end of their ride was their spending money for the week.

My answer is "Is the car moving?" After all, by definition, if the car is moving, we are not at our destination yet :)

Similarly, my answer was always "is the car parked and turned off?"  I think I only had to do that twice, and since then I've only heard that question once (asked in jest).

There are so many ways for the kiddos to drive us bonkers - don't give them easy pitches!  ;)

I should perhaps clarify.....there are no easy landmarks, and she only asked three times or so in a 3 hour trip and for this particular instance we were in the last 30 minutes. The reason I told her not to ask again was because instead of stopping to listen to our answer....she was 4 "daddy"s into rushing to ask us for the 7th time the first breath after asking the 6th time.

In short she was fixating and not processing. We generally don't have this problem with her.

Stefanie

So, after 6 "Are we there yet?", in a row, I cut off the 7th in progress with, "Do not ask 'Are we there yet again'. Long pause......."Are we getting closer?"

Progress. I guess.

Stefanie

My answer to that question is always first, "Why yes, we ARE there.  Can't you tell?  Look, there's Grandma waving from her door..."

After the first time, it's just "Yes."

They catch on quick.  Smart these kids are :D.