Menu

Want to try quinoa

mskelly

I love to toss quinoa with assorted veggies, beans, and scallions or red onion, some parsley or cilantro . Then I whisk together the juice of a lemon or a lime, a tablespoon or two of olive oil, a splash of Braggs liquid aminos (soy saice if you don't have Braggs, and a couple of cloves of garlic. Let it sit for an hour and eat up. Great warm or cold.

You really must rinse quinoa before cooking, as it is covered with saponins. Aside from having, as said, a "weird bitter taste", they cause digestive upsets in some people.  This is actually a feature, not a bug - when quinoa without saponins was bred and offered to farmers, they rejected it after one season because it all got eaten in the field by birds and rodents!

You can use quinoa as you'd use any other grain* side dish. I, personally, tend to just mix it in with my rice, on a 2:1 rice:quinoa basis.

* Quinoa isn't really a grain. It's a pseudograin, related to beets and spinach. If you grow it yourself, you can eat the leaves as well. A wild relative, goosefoot, grows all around my neighborhood. You can eat that too. They're also related to purslane, another common edible weed.

I make it all the time.  Several times a week.  And I buy it pre-rinsed, so I've never rinsed it.  No bitter taste, no stomach upset in the family.

I usually saute some aromatics (usually diced carrots, onions, garlic), then throw in the quinoa to toast for a couple of minutes, then add chicken broth/stock for my liquid.  Same measurements as rice (1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid).  Sometimes I throw in a splash of white wine with the toasted quinoa before I add the chicken stock.   

Bring it to a boil, then cover and cook on low for about 15-20 minutes.  That's it.  Everyone here loves it.  

I love to make it into a breakfast dish by cooking it till nice and soft and then adding coconut milk, cinnamon, berries, pecans, and agave. :)

This sounds so healthy and good tasting!

What else do you serve for breakfast? :drool5:

Edited to add:

I hardly ever rinse ours and no one complains. :hat: