Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW36

Robin M

Yes, I'm doing the one year bible read through one year bible blog. Old / New / Psalm and Proverb each day and he does commentary which is usually interesting and educational.

I read the story as well as watched the movie this past year and both are equally good.  Movie (loosely based) has a few elements from the book and the focus is less on the sheep, more on the android people.  Lots of action and will hold your attention throughout. 

There are a  few different versions of Blade Runner out there.

https://mubi.com/topics/which-version-of-blade-runner-is-the-best

My dd watched all of them to do some sort of comparison for a class project in college. :)

This one has spoilers: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4589

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you thinking, for Antarctica?  I think i've got all the other continents, but the Antarctic pickings seem rather slim...

And if you have any Antarctica suggestions, I'm all ears!

Have either of you read Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox? I read this a couple of years ago and found it to be both entertaining and fascinating in an 'I could/would never do that' kind of way. The book doesn't focus entirely on Antarctica but it forms a central hub around which the story flows.

There is also Gretel Ehrlich's, This Cold Heaven :: Seven Seasons in Greenland I found this book to be such a wonderful combination of good writing and a depth of insight into the human heart and mind that I bought it and make it a point to reread it every now and again. The author writes with a poet's eye and a meditator's insight always with the humility and awareness of what it means to be human in a cold, austerely beautiful but often unforgiving land.

I have actually read Swimming to Antarctica. I enjoyed it overall, but think it could have been edited down a bit more. Lol. Quite fascinating, though, & what a life she's had! It made me sad to read about how absolutely filthy the Nile is....

(On a related note, Shukriyya, around the time I read Swimming to Antarctica, I also read The Man Who Swam the Amazon: 3,274 Miles on the World's Deadliest River. It's quite poorly written by someone who was along on one of the support boats, but I was still wowed by the swimmer's feat. Just wish the book could have lived up to the swimmer & what he was doing. Even so, I found it neat to compare the two swimmers & how some things were emphasized in both books, including that long-distance swimmers need a good amount of body fat, as well as a host of other issues that only long-distance swimmers would have to deal with.)

For people who enjoy non-fiction, I'd heartily endorse reading these two books together! The swimming capabilities & endurance of both are really amazing!

The Greenland book sounds lovely. I've always thought I would love to visit Greenland (and Iceland, and Antarctica, ...). I think I need to win a ginormous lottery so I can get right on that!

There is also Gretel Ehrlich's, This Cold Heaven :: Seven Seasons in Greenland I found this book to be such a wonderful combination of good writing and a depth of insight into the human heart and mind that I bought it and make it a point to reread it every now and again. The author writes with a poet's eye and a meditator's insight always with the humility and awareness of what it means to be human in a cold, austerely beautiful but often unforgiving land.

So that is why this book is on my library list!  I had wondered how in the world it had found its way there!

Jane (of the minimal memory function)

I have actually read Swimming to Antarctica. I enjoyed it overall, but think it could have been edited down a bit more. Lol. Quite fascinating, though, & what a life she's had! It made me sad to read about how absolutely filthy the Nile is....

(On a related note, Shukriyya, around the time I read Swimming to Antarctica, I also read The Man Who Swam the Amazon: 3,274 Miles on the World's Deadliest River. It's quite poorly written by someone who was along on one of the support boats, but I was still wowed by the swimmer's feat. Just wish the book could have lived up to the swimmer & what he was doing. Even so, I found it neat to compare the two swimmers & how some things were emphasized in both books, including that long-distance swimmers need a good amount of body fat, as well as a host of other issues that only long-distance swimmers would have to deal with.)

Interestingly in the same way Antarctica brought up a memory of my mother's journey there, the Amazon does as well. She traveled there when she was in her late 60s with the same dharma teacher and a group of students. They journeyed down the river in some kind of fairly basic boats and slept in hammocks in the rainforest at night. Her tales of fire ants and hearing the howler monkeys screaming made for some dramatic stories. As well as her stories of seeing the magnificent Iguazu Falls and Machu Picchu among other wonders. Intrepid she was!

Sounds like you mom was the kind of trekker I'd like to be!

(And, speaking of the Amazon, maybe you'd like The Lost City of Z.)

I guess we can keep on word-associating.  :lol:  (But I've had no coffee all morning & here it is now lunchtime. I need coffee to be on my game!)

In the meantime, I'll say that 'lost' makes me think of Amelia Earhart. There is a group that has been excavating/looking to verify a certain atoll as where Earhart disappeared. I seriously thought about joining them on one of their excursions. So, does anyone have any good Amelia Earhart books to recommend?  :bigear:

You can always mail some to her.

One of my best memories from being away at uni is my mom sending me Swedish candy. We knew the lady who had the sweet shop in the town my parents live (for two more weeks) and when she heard that the candy was for me she wrapped it up all nice with a big bow. Made me feel loved twice over.

And with the talk of Skye I have to

I am roughly halfway through The String Diaries from Stacia's library list. I don't think she has tried it yet but it is pretty good. Shape shifters, it is definitely a bit creepy.

Yes, if it looks interesting I am (gasp) reading the books I pick up from the library as opposed to piling them!

A neighbor gifted us with several cups of fresh raspberries.  Anyone care to share a recipe for someone who is relatively undomestic?  Shukriyya, I remember you mentioned a galette at one point.  Would that work with raspberries?  And, if so, would you share the recipe, please.

Regards,

Kareni

A neighbor gifted us with several cups of fresh raspberries.  Anyone care to share a recipe for someone who is relatively undomestic?  Shukriyya, I remember you mentioned a galette at one point.  Would that work with raspberries?  And, if so, would you share the recipe, please.

Regards,

Kareni

Jealous!  Raspberries do not grow in my climate.

I would eat them as is (greedily).

You have a lovely neighbor!

Regards,

Kareni

Not a recipe, but I'd buy a chunk of hard cheese (Parmesan) and alternate eating a bit of cheese with a few raspberries.  Any fresh, ripe fruit goes great with a saltier hard cheese--LOVE!

Or, instead of strawberry shortcake, you could make raspberry shortcake.  

Or, on vanilla ice cream as a topping.

mmm...I want raspberries now.  :drool5:

Regards,

Kareni

Raspberries are perfect for galettes. Recipe is easy peasy but I don't follow a recipe so here goes...

Make up some pie crust or buy premade rounds

Combine about 12 oz of raspberries with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flour in a bowl and let sit for 20 mins or so mixing

the berries, flour and sugar to coat completely.

Roll out one 9 inch round onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet

Pour the now delectable raspberry mixture into the round.

Tuck the sides in by starting at any point on the round and following around tucking each side into the next till you have something like this...you want to make sure things are nicely tucked in to avoid leaks though leaks give a lovely rustic look...

Then pop it in the oven at 375 for 45 mins or so till brown. If you like you can brush the pastry with an egg yolk wash which will give it a nice golden color.

Serve with cream, ice cream, whipped cream or eat plain.

Let us know how it goes. And save me a piece please :D

Hmmm. Mumto2, now you're making me wonder if The String Diaries book is too creepy for me!

It is not one I had requested ahead of time, but instead one I found on their 'new' shelf.

Yikes. Is this one going to scare me???

Stacia, pretty sure it won't scare you. The evil shapeshifter thus far is pretty well defined. No doubt who he is and who he is looking for. You and the good side know it is coming. Lots of flashbacks to Hungary. Really think you would enjoy what I have read so far. Remember I read tons of relatively light paranormals and I enjoy thrillers but very rarely read anything that could be classed as horror. Can't even think of a horror book I have knowingly read since my teens. Goodreads calls this one horror but so far it reminds me of more of a Bram Stoker Dracula level, one r#pe( not overly descriptive)so far which was the worst part. Sort of a stalking creepy if that makes sense. Now watch, I am going to return to reading and the book is going to scare me massively.

I have started another book: A Dream in Polar Fog by Yuri Rytkheu (published by Archipelago).

http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-9749680-7-0#path/978-0-9749680-7-0

"A Kiriyama Pacific Rim Prize Notable Book, 2005

A Dream in Polar Fog is at once a cross-cultural journey, an ethnographic chronicle of the Chukchi people, and a politically and emotionally charged Arctic adventure story.

John MacLennan, a Canadian sailor, is stranded on the northeastern tip of Siberia, left behind by his ship. One native Siberian community adopts the wounded stranger and teaches him to live as a true human being. RytkheuĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s empathy, humor, and provocative voice guide us across the magnificent landscape of the North and reveal all the complexities and beauty of a vanishing world.

A Dream in Polar Fog is one of the debut titles in the Rainmaker translation series, a collection of books meant to encourage a lively reading experience of contemporary world literature drawn from diverse languages and cultures. Archipelago also gratefully acknowledges the generous support of the Black Mountain Institute."

Stacia, I am on my way out the door not sure if I will have much wifi for a couple of days, going to the beach for a last bit of summer. I did finish String Diaries. Did enjoy it overall, certainly made me keep reading. High body count but not that hugely horrifying. Basically a serious thriller action type with a supernatural unstoppable bad guy.

I finished By Its Cover. Along with the mystery it explored the rampant theft of works of art, specifically old books. It also brought up the question of whether books vandalized for their art work were still valuable for their text. I am always dismayed to find out how much of this kind of thing goes on in the world. Money and obsession to possess seem to outweigh any desire to understand or preserve the rare artifacts of the past.

On a lighter note, I was heartily amused at the diminutive Italian word for cell phone-- telefonino. I think the US should adopt it.

I need encouragement. I've read almost nothing this week. Well actually I have read, partially or in entirety, D'Aulaire's Norse Myths, Robinson Crusoe (abridged), The Sea Around Us, Man's Great Adventure, The First Book of Ancient Greece, Johnny Texas on the San Antonio Road (a classic!), Who Lives Here?, The Adventures of Don Quixote, Prehistoric Animals, All About the Ice Age, A Treasury of Stories for Eight-Year-Olds, and I Wonder Why Snakes Shed Their Skins*. Yesterday my voice actually cracked dramatically into a feeble croak in the middle of a sentence about Thor dressing up as Freya to fool the jotuns, and I had to quit.

Post-bedtime has been spent with Great Girl as she gets ready to go off to her study abroad program. It will be the longest time she's ever spent away from home and she feels an understandable need for Mom time. So no reading in the evenings.

And there's still 600 pages to go in Boswell.

I think this must be like the colic days. Tell me there will be a day when I will read to myself again.

(Dh brought me, from his office, an "accessible" Nabokov, and wonders why I haven't started it yet. Maybe it will be the next comfy couch read-aloud.)

*I did not need to know that geckos lick their eyeballs to keep them moist.

There will be a day when you read to yourself again.  (And then you'll miss reading with the girls.)

Accessible Nabokov??!  Title?

Eliana, re: White Masks. I found it harrowing because from a sideways method, the author paints a picture of what war does to the regular populace -- the unease, the privations, the second-guessing, the changing of moral codes, etc.... It is not that it is gross or heavy on the war scenes; in that respect, it is not. It is just six separate people with extended soliloquies, which show their unease, or suffering, or confusion, or heartbreak, or.... It's like seeing the mental & emotional aftermath of a war, if that makes sense. It's not the 'this side won, there was this battle, & that faction' but more of a showing of how fractured one becomes. Knowing there are so many around the world this very instant living this life today really reached deeply to my core. I have never been able to wrap my head around the fact that people can & do live in & through the horrors of war & then adjust back to a 'normal' life at some point. I understand it, but I also don't understand it. I think this book just strummed that whole range of thoughts & emotions for me....

OK, I put myself on the wait list.

Have either of you read Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox? I read this a couple of years ago and found it to be both entertaining and fascinating in an 'I could/would never do that' kind of way. The book doesn't focus entirely on Antarctica but it forms a central hub around which the story flows.

For people who enjoy non-fiction, I'd heartily endorse reading these two books together! The swimming capabilities & endurance of both are really amazing!

The Greenland book sounds lovely. I've always thought I would love to visit Greenland (and Iceland, and Antarctica, ...). I think I need to win a ginormous lottery so I can get right on that!

Hmmm.  I hadn't particularly planned to do an Antarctica book, but now my interest is piqued.  More there than I expected.

Re Greenland: Have you read Jane Smiley's The Greenlanders?  I find her frustratingly uneven - I thought Thousand Acres was brilliant, but nothing since has quite lived up to its promise... but I liked Greenlanders a good bit, and it certainly was the best slice of its history that I've read.

So that is why this book is on my library list!  I had wondered how in the world it had found its way there!

Jane (of the minimal memory function)

:lol: Pam (who relates)

One of my best memories from being away at uni is my mom sending me Swedish candy. We knew the lady who had the sweet shop in the town my parents live (for two more weeks) and when she heard that the candy was for me she wrapped it up all nice with a big bow. Made me feel loved twice over.

Well, when I send her the jelly beans (which I will!) I'll tell her they're wrapped in the good wishes of all you ladies here...

I have started another book: A Dream in Polar Fog by Yuri Rytkheu (published by Archipelago).

http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-9749680-7-0#path/978-0-9749680-7-0

"A Kiriyama Pacific Rim Prize Notable Book, 2005

A Dream in Polar Fog is at once a cross-cultural journey, an ethnographic chronicle of the Chukchi people, and a politically and emotionally charged Arctic adventure story.

John MacLennan, a Canadian sailor, is stranded on the northeastern tip of Siberia, left behind by his ship. One native Siberian community adopts the wounded stranger and teaches him to live as a true human being. RytkheuĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s empathy, humor, and provocative voice guide us across the magnificent landscape of the North and reveal all the complexities and beauty of a vanishing world.

A Dream in Polar Fog is one of the debut titles in the Rainmaker translation series, a collection of books meant to encourage a lively reading experience of contemporary world literature drawn from diverse languages and cultures. Archipelago also gratefully acknowledges the generous support of the Black Mountain Institute."

Not so much on Siberia either... I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Well, I'm back; and the younger two are off to their first days back at school; and I just got back from taking my elated dog (who I suspect is a bit under-walked when I'm not here) on a long hike in the woods, during which I pondered Eliana's ponder to my 11 yo's philosophy (there is no cruelty in the natural world; only people can be cruel):

Oooh.  

That resonates... but then I start poking at it...

Is the cruelty in the intention, then?  Can't I be cruel without meaning to?  Is it that I should be noticing I am causing pain?  ...and the lack of awareness is part of what makes it cruel?

What does make something an act of cruelty? 

Hmmm....

and... well, she's not here right now.  I will ask her.  

And, while she is (imo) wise beyond her years, still, her years are just 11.  But in this particular realm, I definitely feel that she is leading the rest of the family.

And if I try to distill what I've learned from her, it is that cruelty is related both to having options and also in the moral imperative to open our eyes.

Shortly after she turned seven, she came home from school, where they'd been talking about Mongolia, and said: I understand that people in places like Mongolia have limited options about what they can eat, so they have to eat mutton.  But we live in Connecticut, and we have plenty of options, and I don't want to eat animals.  (To be honest, I thought it was a phase she'd shortly snap out of.  Not.)

A few years later, she learned about how many soap/shampoo/cosmetic companies use animal testing, and told me she wanted to shift to those that didn't.  Her, uh, less sensitive brother pointed out that she'd been perfectly happy using Suave for years.  But now that I know, I can't not-know.

(Which is sort of how I feel, once she points such things out...   :blushing:  )

(OK, sorry Robin, back to books now...)

Finished Pedro Paramo.

Even *I* will say it it certainly a strange, disorienting, bizarre book. For it being credited with inspiring/starting an entire genre of literature (magical realism), it remains relatively unknown in the US (& probably most other places around the world outside Latin America).

An overlapping layering of voices (mostly) of the dead, memories, fragmented pieces echoing between empty spaces.... I don't even know how to classify or describe the book. I can imagine, though, the amazement when it was first published (1955) of something so different, yet so very Mexican at the same time. How do you capture a wisp of air? And once captured, do you see the wisp or only feel that it is there? Or did you imagine it all along? It is not magical realism itself, but I can hear the whispers of this book in the magical realist ones that followed.

If you have ever read & liked a work of magical realism, I think you owe it to yourself to read this book.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2008/03/the_perfect_novel_youve_never_heard_of.single.html

And, for the book round-up... I finished (re)listening to Orwell's 1984 with my son.  OK, OK, it does deserve to be in the canon.  I got nothing else.   :unsure:

My daughter and I finished Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me (YA).  We both liked it.  I don't want to do spoilers but if any of you have a kid who (like me as a kid) is Seriously Into Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, take a look at this one.  Stella now wants to read Wrinkle, which delights me, but the correct order is to do Wrinkle first, then this one.

MMV brought to my attention that Bill Bryson had done a Shakespeare bio, which was short and cheery and just perfect for a plane ride.  

Someone -- once again I failed to log into my so-called system who -- on this thread recommended Aravind Adiga's White Tiger, set in modern India and focused on class / exploitation issues.  Quite good.  And it went well with...

... The Cone Gatherers, by Robin Jenkins, an allegorical set in wartime Scotland which Violet Crown and Jane recommended and which has me... all in a tizzy, actually.  I loved the first fifteen chapters of it.  And, no spoilers but, you definitely knew really from the outset what had to happen to one of the characters.  Two, really.

But Lady R-C's final response in the final paragraph?  

"She could not pray, but she could weep; and as she wept pity, and purified hope, and joy, welled up in her heart."

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN??!  I keep reading the last two chapters over and over and I still can't decide.  Has she lost her faith?  Or is she simply relieved to be done with the thorns scratching uncomfortably at it?  Please tell me how you understood it (PM if necessary), but put me out of my own misery.

Our first day of homeschool began today. First order of the day, special buckwheat chocolate chip, peanut butter chip pancakes for ds's 'first day' breakfast. I bought him this shirt to inaugurate today, available here...

Ds is doing tablet class using my laptop. Such a different scenario from Pam's lovely-sounding and bucolic hike in the woods. Not that this isn't a lovely way for a mama to spend her time at its heart but I know y'all understand.

Okay, to books...I finished 'Picking Bones from Ash' and while it is ostensibly a book about the complex weavings and threads of what transpires between mothers and daughters it is also a book about place or perhaps placelessness and how we refind home. I enjoyed the descriptions of Japanese culture and tradition as well as the lovely renderings of landscape. I always enjoy it when landscape is given the same weight as the characters in the story. While this didn't go quite that far the author did take her time with the natural world. I'd give this a solid 3.5

"She could not pray, but she could weep; and as she wept pity, and purified hope, and joy, welled up in her heart."

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN??! I keep reading the last two chapters over and over and I still can't decide. Has she lost her faith? Or is she simply relieved to be done with the thorns scratching uncomfortably at it? Please tell me how you understood it (PM if necessary), but put me out of my own misery.

Well, I'll offer the caveat that I have not read this book and yet that doesn't seem to deter me from offering an opinion :lol:. So as I read the description you posted of Lady R-C's final response, the poet in me wonders, is not weeping a form of prayer, prayer in its most authentic, heart-articulate form? Of course I'm reading the description out of context but no matter, you've given me something resonant to ponder.

... The Cone Gatherers, by Robin Jenkins, an allegorical set in wartime Scotland which Violet Crown and Jane recommended and which has me... all in a tizzy, actually.  I loved the first fifteen chapters of it.  And, no spoilers but, you definitely knew really from the outset what had to happen to one of the characters.  Two, really.

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN??!  I keep reading the last two chapters over and over and I still can't decide.  Has she lost her faith?  Or is she simply relieved to be done with the thorns scratching uncomfortably at it?  Please tell me how you understood it (PM if necessary), but put me out of my own misery.

I see redemption in those tears. 

Lady R-C is not the Christian she claimed to be or thought she was.  After witnessing the literal sacrifice, her faith is called into question.

To my mind, there is more than relief in those tears.  For hope and joy to arrive, it would seem that something must be purged.  I hope it is her sanctimony.

I haven't read the book, but I've had a few moments that I would have described that way - where I cannot pray, all I can do is cry out my pain and anguish and longing and love and yearning...

moments I associate with 'the gates of tears are never closed' , so I see tears themselves as having the potential to be a type of prayer.

I wouldn't see such a statement as indicating loss of faith, necessarily.  ...but then I haven't read the book, so I am responding without context!  ...either in plot or character.

Eliana, your words remind me of fourteenth century Persian poet, Hafiz...

Don't surrender your loneliness

So quickly.

Let it cut more deep.

Let it ferment and season you

As few human

Or even divine ingredients can.

Something missing in my heart tonight

Has made my eyes so soft

My voice

So tender,

My need of God

Absolutely

Clear.

And as if these two are talking to each other across the centuries, Rilke, too, seems to find Presence in tears...

You nights of anguish. Why didn't I kneel

more deeply to accept you,

Inconsolable sisters, and, surrendering, lose

myself

in your loosened hair. How we squander our

hours of pain.

How we gaze beyond them into the bitter

duration

To see if they have an end. Though they are

really

Seasons of us, our winter...

Oh, neat!  ...and this one my library has.  You are so good for me, Stacia.  :grouphug:

I'm not too far into A Dream in Polar Fog, but I like it so far (as has been the case with most anything I've read from Archipelago). I read a non-fiction Siberia book last year (or two years ago?) that talked about various native groups throughout the (huge) region. (It also led me to request Chekhov's Sakhalin Island through PaperbackSwap & I just got a copy a week or so ago. Not sure when I'll get to it in my reading stacks....) Anyway, the non-fiction book further sparked my interest in Siberia & the people living in such a harsh, desolate place. The author himself is Chukchi, so I am especially intrigued to read his thoughts....

Yuri Rytkheu was born in Uelen, a village in the Chukotka region of Siberia. He sailed the Bering Sea, worked on Arctic geological expeditions, and hunted in Arctic waters, in addition to writing over a dozen novels and collections of stories. A Dream in Polar Fog was a Kiriyama Pacific Rim Prize Notable Book in 2006. In the late 1950s, Rytkheu emerged not only as a great literary talent, but as the unique voice of a small national minority Ă¢â‚¬â€œ the Chukchi people, a shrinking community residing in one of the most majestic and inhospitable environments on earth.

Definitely not for me then - at least until I can stretch myself a little further.   ...but I appreciate having my awareness expanded!

I had a Rulfo short story collection out of the library last year when we were doing South America, but I bounced off the the couple of stories I started and sent it back to the library... perhaps a good thing, for now.  ...though after just a year and a half of hanging out with you, Stacia, I now *want* to like magical realism... which I never did before... so I'm moving in the right direction!

:laugh:  about magical realism. You don't have to like it (or even appreciate it), Eliana! Rulfo's book was quite strange, disorienting. I could call it a ghost story, but I think that's not really an apt description, even though it is full of ghosts -- of people, of events, of the town. Maybe you'd be more likely to like this one because it's not really magical realism.  ;)

Again, I have to wonder why & how Latin American writers seem so in touch, so attuned to the magical realism aura??? I know there was/is magical realism in other areas of the world, at different times throughout literary history, but there is just something very specifically unique about Latin American magical realism. Do they hear other voices? Live other lives? Inhabit other planes? 

ETA: About The White Tiger -- I was thinking crstarlette read it this year? I read it a couple of years ago, it was on the Man Booker nominee lists, & totally enjoyed it. It is dark & cynical, but is darkly funny too.

You gals will laugh. Just ran by the library again & picked up stacks of books including one that is over 1,000 pages. What is wrong with me????

(Btw, the book is The Instructions by Adam Levin. Wondering if any BaWers have read this one?)

I couldn't resist checking and my library does have The Instructions, currently checked out. I think I will let you go first with that one. It does sound interesting but the page count is huge....

Somehow we have great wifi and dreadful mobile service at our hotel. Dh and I just got back from driving around until I had enough bars to call my mom. She came home today so send good thoughts her way that everything will work and she can stay at home permanently.

So quickly.

Let it cut more deep.

As few human

Has made my eyes so soft

My voice

So tender,

My need of God

Absolutely

Clear.

Love this one.  Thank you.

Lady R-C is not the Christian she claimed to be or thought she was. After witnessing the literal sacrifice, her faith is called into question.

To my mind, there is more than relief in those tears. For hope and joy to arrive, it would seem that something must be purged. I hope it is her sanctimony.

Agreeing with Jane.

****caution spoiler****

Also adding that, much as I enjoyed the book, the sacrifice of the innocent man by being hung from a tree was too much symbolism for me, and gave me flashbacks to high school and Billy Budd.

re Cone Gatherers:

Lady R-C is not the Christian she claimed to be or thought she was.  After witnessing the literal sacrifice, her faith is called into question.

To my mind, there is more than relief in those tears.  For hope and joy to arrive, it would seem that something must be purged.  I hope it is her sanctimony.

This is assuredly how I want to read it.  (Especially considering that Lady R-C stands in for US within the allegory.)

It's... awfully abrupt, though, isn't it?  I mean, she's stomping through the wood to get to the cone gatherers, whom she's already exiled in her sanctimonious / class-ordered pique, so that she can ORDER (not, I don't think, ask) that they hasten to the aid of her son, whom she assuredly does love, but in a manner so wrapped in class-ordered distortions that it's hard to see... right up to the moment that everything changes, she views Calum as disposable, which is rather different from sacrificial...

Well, I'll offer the caveat that I have not read this book and yet that doesn't seem to deter me from offering an opinion :lol:. So as I read the description you posted of Lady R-C's final response, the poet in me wonders, is not weeping a form of prayer, prayer in its most authentic, heart-articulate form? Of course I'm reading the description out of context but no matter, you've given me something resonant to ponder.

1.  Re the bolded:   :lol:    Opinions-R-Us, we call this phenomenon in our family lexicon...

2.  Yes, I think so...

I haven't read the book, but I've had a few moments that I would have described that way - where I cannot pray, all I can do is cry out my pain and anguish and longing and love and yearning...

moments I associate with 'the gates of tears are never closed' , so I see tears themselves as having the potential to be a type of prayer.

I wouldn't see such a statement as indicating loss of faith, necessarily.  ...but then I haven't read the book, so I am responding without context!  ...either in plot or character.

I should have just read (shukriyya's) response and added :iagree:   :)

... and reading the ending through the "gates of tears" imagery is actually helpful, even if it does mix denominational metaphors...

... as is:

So quickly.

Let it cut more deep.

As few human

Has made my eyes so soft

My voice

So tender,

My need of God

Absolutely

Clear.

And as if these two are talking to each other across the centuries, Rilke, too, seems to find Presence in tears...

You nights of anguish. Why didn't I kneel

more deeply to accept you,

Inconsolable sisters, and, surrendering, lose

myself

in your loosened hair. How we squander our

hours of pain.

How we gaze beyond them into the bitter

duration

To see if they have an end. Though they are

really

Seasons of us, our winter...

:grouphug:

Thanks, ladies...

re White Tiger, which Kim and/or crstarlette recommended...

About The White Tiger -- I was thinking crstarlette read it this year? I read it a couple of years ago, it was on the Man Booker nominee lists, & totally enjoyed it. It is dark & cynical, but is darkly funny too.

Kim in Appalachia?  I dithered over whether or not to add White Tiger to my TBR stacks, and wimped out and didn't...  I believe Kim described it as dark & cynical.  Should I reconsider?

Cynical, I can see... and funny, definitely.  I'm strongly in favor of funny; funny done well imo compensates for a host of other drawbacks...

I'm not sure I would, ultimately, call it "dark."  If I read it in comparison to two other books exploring economic/class exploitation, Cone Gatherers (which I read back-to-back, and throughout which no good deed goes unpunished, whether or not Lady R-C sees redemption at the end) and Beyond the Beautiful Forevers (which is also set in modern India, similarly populated with people living in extreme poverty, which offers not a lick of hope), the White Tiger narrative is the only one of the three which traces a way out.  And the protagonist, while indisputably still a flawed and imperfect man, is better than he used to be and better than his "betters" used to be...  It's not tidy and clean by a long shot, but I guess I'd end up putting it in my "lurching toward the light in itty bitty steps" category...

re Cone Gatherers:

This is assuredly how I want to read it.  (Especially considering that Lady R-C stands in for US within the allegory.)

It's... awfully abrupt, though, isn't it?  I mean, she's stomping through the wood to get to the cone gatherers, whom she's already exiled in her sanctimonious / class-ordered pique, so that she can ORDER (not, I don't think, ask) that they hasten to the aid of her son, whom she assuredly does love, but in a manner so wrapped in class-ordered distortions that it's hard to see... right up to the moment that everything changes, she views Calum as disposable, which is rather different from sacrificial...

It is clear early on that The Cone Gatherers is not going to a pretty place.  We as readers see the painful conclusion before it happens.  Why wouldn't Lady R-C anticipate it as well?  Was it inevitable (and necessary) in her eyes?

I know that 'can't not know' feeling...

I want to poke at this some more... now I need to decide which books might help me do that...

Thank you, dearest.

BTW, I am enjoying your blog when I get a chance to peek in at it... (though I couldn't connect with Neshama's version of that psalm... I'm not sure if it was the English sections, or the large choir... very pretty, but it didn't grab my heart the way some versions do)

I read Tehillim/Psalms though a traditional lens, so, to me, each of these is a personal outpouring... a cry from the heart, a collection that encompasses the range of human emotion and responses.

I'm, slowly, working through some commentary, but I usually read Tehillim.... immersed rather than outside thinking about it.  I try to read each day's section every day, and when I'm sad or worried or overwhelmed by joy, I grab my Tehillim and say/recite/read (where's the word I want?) a few.  ...and it washes over me, grounds me... but I've been wanting to deepen that experience, so I'm doing some commentaries....

...but I'm finding it harder than other texts.  ...harder than studying tefillos (prayers)... which is odd.  It's a little like trying to pull out subconscious pieces into conscious thought....

Side note: when we lived in a small town, I used to volunteer to read Tehillim at the funeral home... sometimes with my eldest daughter, a baby, in arms.  ...and then here in Seattle I used to volunteer to do taharas before a funeral.  ...my son-in-law is a shomer (literally guard, in this case someone who sits with a body and recites Tehillim from death until the funeral) on the East Coast...  but neither of us has had the deeply personal, intense experience you described... :grouphug:

Oh, Eliana.  Thank you.

I think I know what you mean about Tehillim/Psalms evoking a subconscious response that is difficult to fit into conscious thought / frame into language... and I also wonder if the very attempt to do so forces me into a position on the outside looking in...  

Still.  The journey is a wonder...

It is a pity that these traditions are not among those that the Reform movement has embraced... much healing that isn't being had...

It is clear early on that The Cone Gatherers is not going to a pretty place.  We as readers see the painful conclusion before it happens.  Why wouldn't Lady R-C anticipate it as well?  Was it inevitable (and necessary) in her eyes?

I don't think that Lady R-C anticipated the end that we as readers could see; I think she experienced a more inchoate dread that she believed -- right up to the end-- she could and should fight... Unlike the readers, she did not see Calum as innocent (despite her dawning recognition of Duror's hatred / madness), but rather as a blight that she could and should dispel... He meant less to her than the deer and the dogs...

... which I guess is why her epiphany, if that is what it was, felt so abrupt that I could not quite trust it.

Still -- I'm very glad I read it.

Whoosh! And it's September. Well, I've reached seventy books in my quest to read at least 104 this year. My list is pasted below. Has anyone else read the Emanuel memoir? It was quite wonderful, actually, but (*ducking, just in case*) I'm a fan.

Ă¢â€“Â  Better by Mistake: The Unexpected Benefits of Being Wrong (Alina Tugend; 2011. 304 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Brothers Emanuel: A Memoir of an American Family (Ezekiel Emanuel; 2013. 288 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Wasp Factory (Iain Banks; 1998. 192 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Be Safe I Love You (Cara Hoffman; 2014. 304 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Insurgent (Veronica Roth; 2012. 544 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Book of You (Clare Kendal; 2014. 368 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Bird Box (Josh Malerman; 2014. 272 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Snowpiercer, Vol. 2: The Explorers (Jacques Lob; Benjamin Legrand (1999 and 2000); 2014. 140 pages. Graphic fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  LITSTART: Strategies for Adult Learners and ESL Tutors (Patricia Frey; 1999. 246 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Good Girl (Mary Kubica; 2014. 352 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Snowpiercer, Vol. 1: The Escape (Jacques Lob (Le Transperceneige, 1999); 2014. 110 pages. Graphic fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Eleanor and Park (Rainbow Rowell; 2013. 336 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Brave New World (Aldous Huxley (1932); 2006 ed. 288 pages. Fiction.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  What the Best College Teachers Do (Ken Bain; 2004. 207 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Big Little Lies (Liane Moriarty; 2014. 480 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Shakespeare: The World as a Stage (Bill Bryson; 2013. 208 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Monument 14 (Emmy Laybourne; 2013. 352 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That CanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t Stop Talking (Susan Cain; 2012. 352 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Three (Sarah Lotz; 2014. 480 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  A Season of Gifts (Richard Peck; 2009. 176 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Landline (Rainbow Rowell; 2013. 320 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die (Eric Siegel ; 2013. 320 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think (Viktor Mayer-SchĂƒÂ¶nberger and Kenneth Cukier; 2013. 256 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Magritte: The Mystery of the Ordinary, 1926-1938 (The Museum of Modern Art, New York; 2013. 256 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Magritte (Marcel Paquet; 2012. 96 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Kandinsky (Hajo Duchting; 2012. 96 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  In the Basement of the Ivory Tower: Confessions of an Accidental Academic (Professor X; 2011. 288 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Antony and Cleopatra (William Shakespeare (1606); Folger ed. 2005. 336 pages. Drama.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Girl with All the Gifts (M.R. Cary; 2014. 416 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Python for Informatics: Exploring Information (Charles R. Severance; 2013. 244 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Stranger (Albert Camus (1942); 1989 edition. 123 pages. Fiction.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  Jane Eyre (Charlotte BrontĂƒÂ« (1847); 2005 B&N edition. 592 pages. Fiction.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  The Fever (Meg Abbott; 2014. 320 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Burial Rites (Hannah Kent; 2013. 336 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Other Side of Sadness (George A. Bonanno; 2010. 240 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Blue Fox (SjĂƒÂ³n; 2013. 128 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Dance of Death (August Strindberg (Conor McPherson, trans.); 1900 (2012). Drama.)
Ă¢â€“Â  We Were Liars (E. Lockhart; 2014. 240 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Detainee (Peter Liney; 2014. 352 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Annihilation (Jeff VanderMeer; 2014. 208 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  AllĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Well That Ends Well (William Shakespeare (1604); Folger ed. 2006. 336 pages. Drama.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Soft Apocalypse (Will McIntosh; 2011. 239 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Alexander Sozhenitsyn; 1962/2009. 208 pages. Fiction.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  Masterpiece Comics (R. Sikoryak; 2009. 64 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Infected (Scott Sigler; 2008. 384 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Veronica Mars: The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham; 2014. 336 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Running Wild (J.G. Ballard; 1989. 116 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The How and the Why (Sarah Treem; 2013. Drama.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Blood Will Out: The True Story of a Murder, a Mystery, and a Masquerade (Walter Kirn; 2014. 272 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Dope (Sara Gran; 2007. 256 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a Young Woman Who Vanished from the Streets of Tokyo (Richard Lloyd Parry; 2012. 464 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Troop (Nick Cutter; 2014. 368 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Mayo Clinic Diet (2012. 254 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  This Is Where I Leave You (Jonathan Trooper; 2009. 352 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck; 1937. 112 pages. Fiction.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  GideonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Knot (Johanna Adams; DPS new acquisition / unbound. Drama.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2013 (ed. Siddhartha Mukherjee; 2013. 368 pages. Non-fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Lexicon (Max Barry; Folger ed. 2013. 400 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Circle (Dave Eggers; 2013. 504 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Good Sister (Drusilla Campbell; 2010. 352 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Two Gentlemen of Verona (William Shakespeare (1589); Folger ed. 2006. 304 pages. Drama.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  Hedda Gabler (Henrik Ibsen; 1890. Drama.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  Labor Day (Joyce Maynard; 2009. 256 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Living (Matt De La PeĂƒÂ±a; 2013. 320 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Henry V (William Shakespeare (1599); Folger ed. 2004. 294 pages. Drama.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  Henry IV, Part II (William Shakespeare (1599); Folger ed. 2006. 400 pages. Drama.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  Henry IV, Part I (William Shakespeare (1597); Folger ed. 2005. 336 pages. Drama.) *
Ă¢â€“Â  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (L. Frank Baum; 1895 / 2008. 224 pages. Juvenile fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  Cartwheel (Jennifer duBois; 2013. 384 pages. Fiction.)
Ă¢â€“Â  The Wicked Girls (Alex Marwood; 2013. 384 pages. Fiction.)

I keep thinking I'll catch up here one of these days... Hmmm...not so much.

I doubled my goal to 104 and am finding myself stalled at 92. Somehow the last 12 seems far more insurmountable than the first 92. I am still reading by pre-reading this year's literature selections, but since a few are shorter or junior versions i've decided not to include them nor do I include read alouds/audiobooks. I have simon Garfield's "To the Letter" as well as "A People's Art History" (not sure about the title on the last one) sitting on the table in my room, but haven't read more than a few pages each. I'm hoping the books I have sitting on hold at the library will get me through my block. We'll see.

As for September...I'm not ready for September. Can we go back to August?

Whoosh! And it's September. Well, I've reached seventy books in my quest to read at least 104 this year. My list is pasted below. Has anyone else read the Emanuel memoir? It was quite wonderful, actually, but (*ducking, just in case*) I'm a fan.

Ă¢â€“Â  Better by Mistake: The Unexpected Benefits of Being Wrong (Alina Tugend; 2011. 304 pages. Non-fiction.)

Ă¢â€“Â  Brothers Emanuel: A Memoir of an American Family (Ezekiel Emanuel; 2013. 288 pages. Non-fiction.)

Ă¢â€“Â  The Wasp Factory (Iain Banks; 1998. 192 pages. Fiction.)

MMV, I'm curious what you thought of The Wasp Factory. It was one of the first books my daughter was assigned as an English major at college. I never read it myself but I thought it looked disturbing. In fact, almost all the books she was assigned were similar to that one. Edgy. Depressing. Disturbing. Just wondering if I'm out of touch or is there a lot of redeeming value in that particular genre.

Shawne in FL

Yes, I'm doing the one year bible read through one year bible blog. Old / New / Psalm and Proverb each day and he does commentary which is usually interesting and educational.

The One Year Bible just arrived in the mail for me today.  I didn't know there was a blog to go along with it.  How exciting!

I also got this to try to do some "immersion" Minimus like thing in Greek with the kids.  Good grief.  I like it but even with the translation at the bottom of the page I will need a lexicon.

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-GlossaHouse-Illustrated-Greek-English-Testament/dp/0692206000/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1409704086&sr=8-7&keywords=book+of+mark+greek

(And I am so proud of the few words I can pick out in Greek!)

I finished The Liberal Arts Tradition by Kevin Clark and Ravi Scott Jain.  I liked it a lot even though a lot of it was over my head!

Also, I thought I'd make sure you all noted that I'm changing my avatar.  I've used a public domain pic for years, and thought I'd change to this photo I took on our way to the Outer Banks in June.  We drove along Skyline Drive which follows the northern part of the Blue Ridge Parkway along the Appalachian Trail.  It was absolutely stunningly beautiful.  We saw a bear.  Amazing and highly recommended.  So, it is still a sunset picture (ladydusk doncha know) but it isn't so bright and pink LOL.

I finished The Liberal Arts Tradition by Kevin Clark and Ravi Scott Jain.  I liked it a lot even though a lot of it was over my head!

Also, I thought I'd make sure you all noted that I'm changing my avatar.  I've used a public domain pic for years, and thought I'd change to this photo I took on our way to the Outer Banks in June.  We drove along Skyline Drive which follows the northern part of the Blue Ridge Parkway along the Appalachain Trail.  It was absolutely stunningly beautiful.  We saw a bear.  Amazing and highly recommended.  So, it is still a sunset picture (lady<i>dusk</i> doncha know) but it isn't so bright and pink LOL.

Beautiful!!  I'd love to make that drive someday.

ETA:  I must have caught you in between changes because now I see the avatar ghost...lol

Finished Pedro Paramo.

Even *I* will say it it certainly a strange, disorienting, bizarre book. For it being credited with inspiring/starting an entire genre of literature (magical realism), it remains relatively unknown in the US (& probably most other places around the world outside Latin America).

I'd never heard of the book until my daughter read it in the World Literature class she took at the local community college in 11th grade.  Now I'm trying to remember what else she read for that class.   The only other title I'm remembering is Germinal by Ăƒâ€°mile Zola.

Regards,

Kareni

I'd never heard of the book until my daughter read it in the World Literature class she took at the local community college in 11th grade. Now I'm trying to remember what else she read for that class. The only other title I'm remembering is Germinal by Ăƒâ€°mile Zola.

Regards,

Kareni

Cool. What did she think of the book? If you remember any more of the books from that class, I'd love to hear them. I've never read Germinal but it's one that has been at the back of my mind as a "should read one day".