Menu

Have you had a "complete" hysterectomy?

AimeeM

My OBGYN has changed course, after some further consulting, and an ablation is no longer on the table for me. He wants to schedule what he calls a "complete" hysterectomy (uterus, fallopian tubes, etc) for the end of September/beginning of October.

I'm sorry - the appt yesterday is a bit of a blur. He said that if we need to, he can give me an estrogen supplement after, but that leaving the eggs will help help NOT throw me into early menopause (I'm 29)? I think that's what he said.

What was your experience with this procedure and the recovery?

I'm confused.

It's my understanding that a  complete hysterectomy includes removing the ovaries.   

I had a hysterectomy at 39.  They took basically everything except the ovaries.  They're still in there.  I am not in menopause because I still have my ovaries (and, so, the hormones).  The only bad thing is that sometimes I'm in a "mood", and I realize later that it's probably PMS, except it's hard to tell when you don't have a period anymore!  

My experience overall has been quite good.  Recovery was not even awful, and they had to do my surgery the traditional way; meaning, not a laparoscopy, and not vaginally but a horizontal cut in my abdomen, which is the most invasive.  I love not having a period and the issue that went along with it.  I love that my cervix is gone, since I had irregular paps for years.  It really has been a great result for me. 

I'm confused.

It's my understanding that a  complete hysterectomy includes removing the ovaries.   

I had a hysterectomy at 39.  They took basically everything except the ovaries.  They're still in there.  I am not in menopause because I still have my ovaries (and, so, the hormones).  The only bad thing is that sometimes I'm in a "mood", and I realize later that it's probably PMS, except it's hard to tell when you don't have a period anymore!  

My experience overall has been quite good.  Recovery was not even awful, and they had to do my surgery the traditional way; meaning, not a laparoscopy, and not vaginally but a horizontal cut in my abdomen, which is the most invasive.  I love not having a period and the issue that went along with it.  I love that my cervix is gone, since I had irregular paps for years.  It really has been a great result for me. 

I'm not understanding either. He did make a diagram for me, on a print out, that showed uterus, tubes, etc. It's filed under "complete", but yes - I think he plans to leave the ovaries? I go back in tomorrow to drop off the papers, so I'm not sure. I know he said he'll try to avoid sending me into early menopause, but that he won't be sure until he gets in there.

It is a laproscopy... he hopes (he said that we should never assume it's definitely going to go that way, because there's a small chance it could go otherwise).

A complete hysterectomy is called Total Abdominal Hysterectomy with Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy often abbreviated TAH-BSO.

If your ovaries are preserved, you will not have the "oophorectomy" part. You will have hopefully the benefits of continued hormone production but I would research further since there are some papers published that say the ovaries sometimes stop producing when the other female organs are missing.

Generally, I would think they would want to do it laparoscopically which means small incision, less scar tissue on the inside (typically) and faster recovery time.

At your age, I think I would consult a second doctor or even a naturopath. 29 seems rather young to have all your reproductive organs removed unless it is for something like cancerous growth.

I'm not understanding either. He did make a diagram for me, on a print out, that showed uterus, tubes, etc. It's filed under "complete", but yes - I think he plans to leave the ovaries? I go back in tomorrow to drop off the papers, so I'm not sure. I know he said he'll try to avoid sending me into early menopause, but that he won't be sure until he gets in there.

It is a laproscopy... he hopes (he said that we should never assume it's definitely going to go that way, because there's a small chance it could go otherwise).

It's likely I'm just wrong about the terminology. Sound like what you're having is what I had, except with a different removal method.

If the ovaries are still there, you'll still be making the hormones, so yeah, no early menopause.  

My doctor said he couldn't do mine via laparoscopy because the cysts on my uterus were large, and my uterus was actually swollen, so he needed to go the "old fashioned" route.  Still, the recovery really wasn't that bad, especially after the first week or so, and I get 6 weeks of paid time off from work, which I have to admit was kind of nice.  

Good luck!

It's likely I'm just wrong about the terminology. Sound like what you're having is what I had, except with a different removal method.

If the ovaries are still there, you'll still be making the hormones, so yeah, no early menopause.  

My doctor said he couldn't do mine via laparoscopy because the cysts on my uterus were large, and my uterus was actually swollen, so he needed to go the "old fashioned" route.  Still, the recovery really wasn't that bad, especially after the first week or so, and I get 6 weeks of paid time off from work, which I have to admit was kind of nice.  

Good luck!

He gave me a nifty little diagram. According to that, there are three "types" - Total (what I'm having done), Hysterectomy with Removal of Ovaries, and then Supracervical Hysterectomy (which leaves the cervix.

I think it may be coined differently because my diagram does specify "laproscopic hysterectomy" - so it may differ from a traditional hysterectomy.

Yeah - he said the first two weeks would be a bit rough, but to treat the recovery time as a c-section recovery (I've had three of those, so he was speaking my language with that, lol). Four-six weeks to normal, but only a couple weeks before I feel back to relatively "normal".

I had a hysterectomy at 27.  Wait, was it 28?  Oh no.  My brain is not working.  One of those two!

If what you mean is that your doctor is suggesting a hysterectomy that removes uterus, etc but leaves the ovaries, then yes - that's the route I went.  I'm confused, also, by the word "complete."  You'll want to clarify that.

Procedure and recovery - not bad.  Mine was done laparoscopically and vaginally.  Not bad at all and minimal scarring.  The scarring from a gall bladder removal a few years later was much worse.  :)

I haven't needed any estrogen, though we suspect I'm now heading into pre-menopause, naturally.  

Check out the website hyster sisters.  :)  I haven't been there in a long time, but it used to have some good info.

I don't think another opinion is a bad idea.  I tried every option available before opting for hysterectomy.  However, I didn't have kids, so was well aware that I was giving up the choice to become a birthparent, permanently.  Obviously, I worked through that, but trying all the options available at the time gave me peace.  It might be different for you, already having kids.  

Feel free to pm and ask any questions you don't want to ask publicly.  Or ask more here.  

I've already had my tubes "tied", because it was determined that I couldn't safely have any more children, so unfortunately that's something that's already came and went... I'm still not at peace with it, unfortunately, but I'm working on it. Luckily this doesn't change my fertility (I was already unable to have more), so it doesn't really make me feel any worse than I already did about it.

I feel broken. Like I don't work the way I should.

I used the wrong terminology. The diagram he gave me lists mine as the "total" hysterectomy (removal of everything but the ovaries). I'm sorry - I shouldn't have said "complete". Listed under my option is "hysterectomy with removal of ovaries", which he is going to try to avoid.

I had a hysterectomy at 27.  Wait, was it 28?  Oh no.  My brain is not working.  One of those two!

If what you mean is that your doctor is suggesting a hysterectomy that removes uterus, etc but leaves the ovaries, then yes - that's the route I went.  I'm confused, also, by the word "complete."  You'll want to clarify that.

Procedure and recovery - not bad.  Mine was done laparoscopically and vaginally.  Not bad at all and minimal scarring.  The scarring from a gall bladder removal a few years later was much worse.   :)

I haven't needed any estrogen, though we suspect I'm now heading into pre-menopause, naturally.  

Check out the website hyster sisters.   :)  I haven't been there in a long time, but it used to have some good info.

I don't think another opinion is a bad idea.  I tried every option available before opting for hysterectomy.  However, I didn't have kids, so was well aware that I was giving up the choice to become a birthparent, permanently.  Obviously, I worked through that, but trying all the options available at the time gave me peace.  It might be different for you, already having kids.  

Feel free to pm and ask any questions you don't want to ask publicly.  Or ask more here.  

Aimee, is this somewhat of an emergency or are you willing to check into other options? Things like fibroids can often be dealt with without removal of the organs.

It sounds as though you like this doctor and trust him and this is half the battle. Make sure you ask all the questions that pop into your head - write them down as they arise and take the paper with you to your next appointment.

Someone already suggested the website Hyster-Sisters. It was very informative but please be aware that there are always some people who had horrendous experiences. By and large, it is not an everlasting ordeal. After this surgery, I saw a naturopath for the first time and found this extremely helpful in guiding me through the recovery time and beyond.

I had a TAH-BSO with a large incision seven years ago. I feel better now than I had felt in many years prior to the surgery. An excellent surgeon makes all the difference!

I've already had my tubes "tied", because it was determined that I couldn't safely have any more children, so unfortunately that's something that's already came and went... I'm still not at peace with it, unfortunately, but I'm working on it. Luckily this doesn't change my fertility (I was already unable to have more), so it doesn't really make me feel any worse than I already did about it.

I feel broken. Like I don't work the way I should.

I used the wrong terminology. The diagram he gave me lists mine as the "total" hysterectomy (removal of everything but the ovaries). I'm sorry - I shouldn't have said "complete". Listed under my option is "hysterectomy with removal of ovaries", which he is going to try to avoid.

:grouphug: You're not broken.  

And no worries on the terminology - you are totally allowed to make mistakes and say the wrong thing when the discussion on the table is about removing your organs.  Really.  

Is he saying there is a chance he'll remove your ovaries?  But he'll try to avoid it?  Have you had an exploratory lap, just to see what's going on?  I think, in your shoes, I'd want to know what might cause him to remove the ovaries.  

I had the option of removing ovaries, and knew that in deciding to keep them I might have further complications, and need another surgery.  But in my late 20s, I felt it was worth the risk of having further surgeries to keep those ovaries.  My surgeon was totally onboard with that, and I trusted him.  It would have been difficult to go into surgery not knowing if I'd wake up with ovaries. You might think about that part, and consider another opinion based on that.  Depending on your relationship with your surgeon, of course.  Maybe you trust him wholeheartedly.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to take some time to think about this, then schedule another appt with him to ask more questions, before you make up your mind.

Here are some things to ponder, off the top of my head... Once you remove everything else, there is a chance that you will lose a lot of ovarian function, as sometimes the blood supply to the ovaries is routed through the uterus.  Your ovaries may not function as well post-hysterectomy, even if you keep them.  Some people no longer have orgasms, or their orgasms change after a hysterectomy. Just food for thought.  Obviously, I opted for hysterectomy.  :)

I do trust him rather implicitly. He's one of those rare surgeons who never rushes, and always prefers the conservative, least invasive, treatment, if he can. Yesterday I told him that I was advised by an old doctor to have mammograms every year, due to cysts in my breasts, and he told me that he advised against possible unnecessary mammograms, and that I could come in whenever I was concerned, he would do a breast exam, and that he preferred we do an ultrasound if a cyst or growth was suspected, before jumping to a mammogram on someone my age.

He stayed at the office with me until 6:30 last night (WELL past his normal office hours) explaining things, listening to me vent, showing me diagrams, asking me about the children, etc.

Now, one should always bank on him running about an hour late for appointments, because he does spend so much time with each patient, but he's well worth the wait :)

He does NOT believe he would need to take the ovaries. He just tends to remind me that with major surgeries, sometimes things do not go as planned, and that he always wants his patients to be aware of any and all risks.

:grouphug: You're not broken.  

And no worries on the terminology - you are totally allowed to make mistakes and say the wrong thing when the discussion on the table is about removing your organs.  Really.  

Is he saying there is a chance he'll remove your ovaries?  But he'll try to avoid it?  Have you had an exploratory lap, just to see what's going on?  I think, in your shoes, I'd want to know what might cause him to remove the ovaries.  

I had the option of removing ovaries, and knew that in deciding to keep them I might have further complications, and need another surgery.  But in my late 20s, I felt it was worth the risk of having further surgeries to keep those ovaries.  My surgeon was totally onboard with that, and I trusted him.  It would have been difficult to go into surgery not knowing if I'd wake up with ovaries. You might think about that part, and consider another opinion based on that.  Depending on your relationship with your surgeon, of course.  Maybe you trust him wholeheartedly.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to take some time to think about this, then schedule another appt with him to ask more questions, before you make up your mind.

Here are some things to ponder, off the top of my head... Once you remove everything else, there is a chance that you will lose a lot of ovarian function, as sometimes the blood supply to the ovaries is routed through the uterus.  Your ovaries may not function as well post-hysterectomy, even if you keep them.  Some people no longer have orgasms, or their orgasms change after a hysterectomy. Just food for thought.  Obviously, I opted for hysterectomy.   :)

I'm also in the Best Thing Ever camp! I tried birth control pills and later ablation for extended heavy periods that were putting the brakes on life. Two weeks after the ablation the bleeding was worst than ever. For me the two years messing around with other treatments was wasted time and I would have been better going right to hysterectomy. Yes, the recovery time was a factor as I had to take it really easy for four weeks, but after the surgery I slept so much better and had so much more energy. I didn't realize how much it was all impacting my life.

Pamela and Pippen, would you mind sharing how old you were when you had your hysterectomies?  I wonder if that might have some bearing on finding yourself in the Best Thing Ever Camp, which is very cool, by the way!  I have no regrets about mine, but am not in the Best Thing Ever Camp, because I know that opting for a hyst in one's 20s is a huge deal, and impacts one's health on much more than just a child-bearing level.  I am now in my 40s, and there are quite definitely some areas of health that may have been impacted by the choice I made then - though, again, I have no regrets.  :)

Aimee, sorry I keep clogging up your thread.  For me, choosing a hysterectomy in my 20s was a huge deal.  It should be for you, too, so I hope you get a ton of responses!  And if you do opt for a hyst, I hope you find yourself in the Best Thing Ever Camp!!!

Please do clog it as much as you want! I'm very interested to hear about it.

I'll note that other, more conservative, treatments have been considered for me. This is definitely not something that was decided quickly. I've been experiencing severe pain, fatigue, no s*x drive, and almost constant bleeding now for... well.. about 2 years (since the birth of my youngest - the bleeding constantly is something that just became worse over time, over the past 2 years, until we are where we are now - it's almost constant). I'm back on ambien because I'm not sleeping, but at the same time, I'm exhausted during the day (could be the Toddler Monster, but Dr thinks what's going on medically isn't helping matters at all), and I'm taking far more than the recommended dosages of ibuprofen.

He has probably seen me more over the past year, because of this, for internal exams and ultrasounds, than he did during my last pregnancy, lol.

It is a huge decision. I agree. Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

Pamela and Pippen, would you mind sharing how old you were when you had your hysterectomies?  I wonder if that might have some bearing on finding yourself in the Best Thing Ever Camp, which is very cool, by the way!  I have no regrets about mine, but am not in the Best Thing Ever Camp, because I know that opting for a hyst in one's 20s is a huge deal, and impacts one's health on much more than just a child-bearing level.  I am now in my 40s, and there are quite definitely some areas of health that may have been impacted by the choice I made then - though, again, I have no regrets.   :)

Aimee, sorry I keep clogging up your thread.  For me, choosing a hysterectomy in my 20s was a huge deal.  It should be for you, too, so I hope you get a ton of responses!  And if you do opt for a hyst, I hope you find yourself in the Best Thing Ever Camp!!!

I was in my 40's and knew I was done having children, so it was a lot different for me than had I been in my 20's. I also had reached the stage in life where I knew better than to beat myself up over things I can't control.

So much about the female reproductive system is totally out of our hands. Sure there are a few things we can do, but mostly when it comes to our reproductive system we get the hand we're dealt. I grew up watching my mom deal with severe bleeding through most of her adult life until she found a doctor that would do a hysterectomy. My aunt and other women in my family all had problems, and wound up with hysterectomies. I was surprised and pleased to have smooth sailing for most of my years, until perimenopause hit me hard.

Do check out HysterSisters--there's a lot of help there.

Please do clog it as much as you want! I'm very interested to hear about it.

I'll note that other, more conservative, treatments have been considered for me. This is definitely not something that was decided quickly. I've been experiencing severe pain, fatigue, no s*x drive, and almost constant bleeding now for... well.. about 2 years (since the birth of my youngest - the bleeding constantly is something that just became worse over time, over the past 2 years, until we are where we are now - it's almost constant). I'm back on ambien because I'm not sleeping, but at the same time, I'm exhausted during the day (could be the Toddler Monster, but Dr thinks what's going on medically isn't helping matters at all), and I'm taking far more than the recommended dosages of ibuprofen.

He has probably seen me more over the past year, because of this, for internal exams and ultrasounds, than he did during my last pregnancy, lol.

It is a huge decision. I agree. Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

Is your doctor watching your iron levels closely?  I wound up being severely anemic. I also wasn't sleeping because I couldn't make it through the night without bleeding through.

I'm sorry that i don't remember your history ... Is this for fibroids?  You may want to research the issues with laparascopic hysterectomies, especially the morcellation part of the procedure and risks of spreading undiagnosed cancer.  Whenever you are dealing with major surgery, it is a good idea to get a second opinion.  I don't have any more to add. 

I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2004, just a few weeks before I turned 42.  That was nine years ago.  I'd been dealing with very heavy, prolonged bleeding from a large uterine fibroid for a couple of years or more, and rather serious anemia because of it.  I had  nausea and dizziness from the anesthesia for about 12 hours after the surgery, but the surgery itself was very easy.  Recovery was almost non-existent.  I went home early afternoon the day after the surgery and stayed on the couch the rest of the day.  By the next day I felt better than I had in years.  More energy, more alert, almost no soreness.  My biggest issue was making myself take it a little easy for a couple of weeks, because I really felt fabulous compared to how I'd felt before.  I kept my ovaries.  I've always heard hysterectomies where one keeps the ovaries referred to as a partial hysterectomy.  I'm 51 now and have only had minor symptoms of menopause.  Mostly I'm just always warmer than I used to be.  I'm definitely in the camp of "best thing I've ever done."   All these years later and still occasionally the thought will pop through my head about how nice life is w/o constantly dealing with the mess and aggravation and tiredness.  Dealing with all that was so awful that the memory can still make me shudder.

I had a hysterectomy at age 40, by incision rather than laparascopic. My doctor was able to leave me with one ovary. I was able to do without hormones for about 2 years, but have been on Vagifem estradiol 10mcg off/on for 10 years. I will be 52 in October.

I have zero regrets about having a hysterectomy. After suffering for 2 1/2 years before the surgery, I was just ready for relief. I was much older than you are, however, and at a different stage of life. I would just recommend that you have received a 2nd opinion and are certain this is the route you want to take before doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a total hysterectomy (= removal of all of the uterus and cervix, but not the ovaries) in April. I had the procedure done vaginally, so there wasn't even a laparoscopic incision.

I was in a different situation than many of the others posting here. I had no symptoms and felt perfectly healthy, and then suddenly I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and my uterus had to go. So I definitely didn't have the WOW HYSTERECTOMIES ARE AWESOME reaction that people with years of heavy symptoms often do.

My doctor said that I would need to rest completely for a week, and then have another week of light activity, and then I'd be back to normal. That turned out to be a huuuuge underestimate of how much difficulty I was going to have. I did need to rest completely for a week and was also in a fair amount of pain. But it was more like a month before I was back to normal, and I continued to have intermittent issues for maybe three months in all. My intermittent issues were: (1) dull, aching belly pain when storms were rolling in, because of the barometric pressure changes, and (2) intense anxiety monthly, around the time I should have gotten my period. Those symptoms finally seem to have gone away, thank God.

I don't have any regrets, because hey, I don't have cancer anymore. But it was harder than I expected.

My procedure is scheduled for the end of this month. I'll have two pre-op appointments before the procedure. Tony has insisted on securing our occasional sitter (who is also my best friend - perk!) to stay with me for 4 weeks, as per the doctors orders that I "take it very easy for 2 weeks; easier than normal for another 2 weeks; treat it like a c-section recovery, with the understanding that you will probably feel great 2 weeks post op, but that doesn't mean you're cleared to resume YOUR idea of normal activity", lol. 

Thank you everyone, for your perspectives. 

Sorry to butt in, but spending a great deal of time with a patient does not mean he is a great surgeon or adequately wields a scalpel. Some of the greatest surgeons I have known had the absolute worst bedside manner and vice versa. Yes, most surgeons have skill and a great bedside manner, but the bedside manner is not a reflection of skill level.

At age 29, I cannot think of much, other than cancer that would make me get a hysterectomy. There is the risk of chronic pain, infection, spreading of cancer cells, and later adhesions that do all kinds of damage. A good friend just had a major small bowel obstruction related to adhesions from a hysterectomy ten years prior. She was hospitalized for 8 weeks and out of commission for another 4.

For a hysterectomy at age 29, it would probably take me 4 opinions before I would settle.

My procedure is scheduled for the end of this month. I'll have two pre-op appointments before the procedure. Tony has insisted on securing our occasional sitter (who is also my best friend - perk!) to stay with me for 4 weeks, as per the doctors orders that I "take it very easy for 2 weeks; easier than normal for another 2 weeks; treat it like a c-section recovery, with the understanding that you will probably feel great 2 weeks post op, but that doesn't mean you're cleared to resume YOUR idea of normal activity", lol.

Thank you everyone, for your perspectives.

I didn't respond before as I don't have much to add to all of the advice you've gotten. However, now I will say, "Follow the doctor's orders post-surgically!". I thought I was better enough to teach just one class. Not only was I wrong, but I caught a cold with a terrible cough. Rather unpleasant after abdominal surgery :-P. Take care of yourself and let your dh and bff pamper you.

I had a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix) on August 13th.  I'm 41. I had no plan to have more kids and they youngest is adopted anyway because pregnancy was no longer recommended after extreme complications with my middle daughter's birth.

The heavy bleeding caused by the fibroids had contributed to my anemia which was fixed by my GP before we were even aware of the fibroids with iron supplements and B-12 injections. She suggested I see a gynecologist to discuss an ablation.

The midwife at the gynecologist's said fibroids were large and she wanted me to have a  sonogram mid-cycle (3 weeks from then) and an appointment with the gynecologist for a better over all understanding of what was going on.

A week later it felt like I had a kidney stone which is what sent me to urgent care and the doctor insisted in a CT scan to figure out what was going on. The fibroids were so many and so large they were pressing on one of my ureters making it impossible for my kidney to drain properly. He said see a gynecologist ASAP.

The gynecologist said the fibroids were so large and so many an ablation was unlikely to solve the problem and if we did surgery to remove just the fibroids, they were likely to return and we would have to do it all again.  The gynecologist recommended a robotic hysterectomy because it decreases recovery time by half.  This means 4 small holes in the abdomen-one through the navel.  It means pushing the uterus out through the cervix (or where the cervix used to be-I forget which.) If it's too big she cuts it into pieces. There is a small possibility of "seeding cancer cells" if there are any cancerous tumors among the fibroids and the doctor has to cut them into pieces to remove them.  The biopsy after surgery will let you know if what they think are fibroids are actually cancerous.  She said it's plan A.  When she gets in and there's too much scar tissue or some other situation that causes her to be unable to do it that way, then they move to plan B which is cutting open the abdomen.  That takes twice as long to heal.

She suggested removing the uterus and the cervix since the cervix had a fibroid in it which caused pain during intercourse.  She said I was no where near menopause and there was no good reason to make me surgically menopausal by removing my ovaries unless I had a family history of ovarian cancer.  I don't.

She wanted me to see a urologist about the kidney/ureter situation.  The gynecologist contacted the urologist  to see if she, the gynecologist, should put stents in the ureters for surgery.  Ureters are tiny and fragile.  They can easily be cut during a  hysterectomy. The urologist said she would place the stents before surgery herself in case they were difficult to get in.  Also, the fibroids were so big it was making me unable to empty my bladder completely. At the hospital I went to, a urologist has to be on hand in case a bladder or ureter is damaged during hysterectomy so they can fix it.

At the hospital my surgery was listed as a "complete hysterectomy."  I assumed it was a mistake and they explained that removing the ovaries is called something else.  Every point of contact asked me, "Tell me in your own words exactly what you're having done today." I must've answered that question 6 times from the receptionist doing paperwork to the nurses and the gynecologist and the urologist.

So, I had the robotic surgery done three weeks ago tomorrow. The gynecologist said she had never seen a uterus so big because the largest fibroid was over a pound.  She said my uterus was slightly larger than a newborn's head which is much bigger than the norm-usually the size of a woman's fist. It had pressed on my bladder causing it to be almost folded in half.

Don't underestimate how important it is to do NOTHING so you can heal. When I say nothing, I mean nothing.  Today is the first day I feel close to normal. I still need to take it easy and didn't take it easy enough several times and paid for it.  You're going to be even more tempted if you have younger kids.  Accept all the help you can get and arrange for more on top of that. 

I hope all goes well whatever you decide to do whether you get another opinion, consider other options or go with your doctor's recommendation. 

Sorry to butt in, but spending a great deal of time with a patient does not mean he is a great surgeon or adequately wields a scalpel. Some of the greatest surgeons I have known had the absolute worst bedside manner and vice versa. Yes, most surgeons have skill and a great bedside manner, but the bedside manner is not a reflection of skill level.

At age 29, I cannot think of much, other than cancer that would make me get a hysterectomy. There is the risk of chronic pain, infection, spreading of cancer cells, and later adhesions that do all kinds of damage. A good friend just had a major small bowel obstruction related to adhesions from a hysterectomy ten years prior. She was hospitalized for 8 weeks and out of commission for another 4.

For a hysterectomy at age 29, it would probably take me 4 opinions before I would settle.

I know he's good with a knife. He's performed abdominal surgery on me before :)

For personal reasons, we know this is the best option for me. Cancer risks and my medical past do come into play.

ETA: he has scheduled several pre-op appointments for me, between him and the hospital, to ensure I'm "healthy" enough to undergo the surgery without more risks than the obvious.

Please do know that this wasn't a decision made lightly, hastily, or without consideration. This has been talked about for quite some time, and something that I've known was a possibility for quite some time. I am well versed on all of the possible complications; my husband and I have decided that despite the possible complications, this is something that needs to happen now.

I worry about all the side effects of hysterectomy, so am taking every measure I can think of to avoid one.  I hope yours solves your problems and doesn't cause new ones, but I can't help but wonder if something else might help.  (nutrition, bc pills, supplements...?)

The specific issues cannot be helped by supplements or bc pills (although they were attempted) and the long term risks associated with me NOT having the hysterectomy are greater than the risks of having the hysterectomy. I had a pre-op today; he liked to talk a lot about risks and benefits weighting, lol. He's nothing if not thorough :)

The specific issues cannot be helped by supplements or bc pills (although they were attempted) and the long term risks associated with me NOT having the hysterectomy are greater than the risks of having the hysterectomy. I had a pre-op today; he liked to talk a lot about risks and benefits weighting, lol. He's nothing if not thorough :)

Sounds like you have a very good doc. I consider this a huge benefit if not 2/4 of the battle.

Make sure someone takes care of your hormones afterwards. I'd see a naturopath. My surgeon was super nice and extremely skilled but he admitted right off that he was not the right guy for hormone balancing.

I had a complete hysterectomy at age 38, when my kids were 4 and 6, due to severe endometriosis. Best surgery I ever had.   While we would have loved to have more children, the endometriosis was so bad that my GYN said I had less than 10% chance of having another child.    I felt so.much.better after the surgery.  

I was 37.  I had originally had one scheduled in my early 20s due to health issues.  The doctor decided to "wait."  We never revisited the issue.  I kept trying to get pregnant and dealing with the issues of it. I wish I had had it in my 20s.  I would have had some struggle with it, but I had the struggle with secondary infertility also.