Menu

Can I ask prayer for my adult son

lynn

He left again as we were trying to help him get back on his feet and he's struggling.  He won't get the help he needs and being 21 there is not a whole lot we can do if he does not want to.   We know he has anxiety issues and most likely depression but would not be surprised if he was diagnosed with bi-polar.    He is a very intelligent young man.  Graduated with AP honors but just has not been able to get it together kwim.  I know some of you mentioned having issues with your adult children and my heart goes out to you. :grouphug:    I am looking for some type of support group in my area if you know of support groups I should look into that would be most welcomed.

What kind of support do you need?  If it is a matter of letting go of HIS issues and moving on with YOUR life, that is one kind of group.

If you want a group to help you learn how to help  him navigate his world, that's another.  

Not meaning to be a pedant...but it does help to know what you are looking for.  

I'm sorry for you in this.  My son isn't exactly burning up with ambition and it is hard to watch.  

We have an adult son with mental illness. Like your son, he is academically brilliant, but struggles with high functioning autism (not like your son) and depression (also diagnosed once with Bipolar 2) an d anxiety. He refused all services until he had a psychotic break at age 22.5.

We found support through NAMI: The National Alliance on Mental Illness    http://www.nami.org/

We took a class for families and learned LOTS about how we can help, the limitations put on parents, local services, good communication skills, and the details of various diagnoses. If this organization exists in your local area, I recommend contacting them. All services they provide in our area are professional, high quality and free of charge. 

Finding a psychologist who is a good match has been key for our son. It took a few failed attempts to happen, but when it was right, he knew right away. 

You can do this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm right there with you. My almost 20 year old, academically talented son cannot seem to do what he needs to do to be an adult. I will prayer your son and mine and anyone else dealing with this. Anxiety and depression are debilitating. I really feel like you have to live it to understand why we live the way we do. :grouphug:

I will pray for you.  My 21 year old son is bipolar and chooses not to be medicated.  Life can be a living hell with him at times.  I second trying to find a NAMI group.  They also have classes they offer to understand mental illness better.  I wish I could get my dh to go.