Menu

Indian recipes

Truscifi

We are trying to incorporate a vegetarian night once or twice a week to get more veggies in our diet. Dh only likes eating vegetarian if it is something he thinks is *supposed* to be vegetarian and he thinks that about Indian food. (I don't try to follow the mental gymnastics, I just smile and nod.)

So we want to try some new Indian recipes - simple is better. Dh can do a little more fancy or complicated but for me I like to keep it simple and easy. I have made channa masala, channa palak, a couple of different dal recipes, and roti. Dh has made banana curry and aloo...something with potato and eggplant.

So please post, link, or otherwise point me in the direction of your favorite easy Indian recipes!

I agree with your husband.   :)  Here are a few of the recipes I like.

Red lentils with coconut

1 cup red lentils, washed
5 cups water
1-2 tablespoons tamarind pulp, chopped

2 tablespoons oil
1/2 tsp each of coriander, cumin, cayenne, and turmeric
1 tablespoon minced or mashed garlic
1 1/2 cups sliced onions
1/2 tsp salt
Limes or lemons

Put the lentils and water in a qazan or heavy pot and bring to a boil, skimming as it comes to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, covering it for the last 10 minutes (the cooking time is really flexible; the lentils will be soft in 20 minutes, but you can cook them for up to 40 minutes if you want the texture smoother and you can blend them too if you want).  While it's simmering, put the tamarind in a small bowl and scoop 1/4 cup of hot water from the lentils and mix it with the pulp.  Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.

Heat the oil in a wok or pot or qazan over medium-high heat, then add the spices and stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add the garlic and onions and stir-fry for at least 10 minutes, lowering the heat a little as you cook until the onions are very soft. 

When the lentils are as cooked as you want them, press the tamarind pulp through a strainer into the lentils (discard the pulp).  Add the onions and salt and more water if you want to, again depending on the consistency you want.  Cook for 5 minutes, then taste to adjust the seasonings if you need to.  Serve with lime wedges (or lemons if limes aren't available) so your guests can squeeze the juice onto their lentils.

And another:

Dal with Coconut Milk

1 c red lentils
5 c water

1 T oil
1 T minced garlic
2 T minced shallots
Lots of crushed red pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1 c coconut milk

Boil the lentils in a large pot in the 5 cups water till they're soft, then keep warm. Heat a pan over high heat and add the oil, then add the garlic and shallots and stir-fry for a minute. Add the rest of the spices and cook 2 more minutes, then add the salt and coconut milk, lower the heat, and cook 5 minutes. Add the spice mixture to the hot lentils and simmer a couple of minutes.

Paneer and Garbanzos

Paneer made from three liters of milk, cubed and fried till golden (here's a link to the way I make paneer)
2-3 cups cooked garbanzos
Oil
Spices (I like to add about a teaspoon each of coriander and cayenne pepper, then 1/2 tsp of turmeric, cumin, fennel, mustard seed, and nigella.  You can also use garam masala if you like that.)
One chopped onion
Lots of minced garlic 
Salt to taste 
Chopped cilantro

Heat the oil in a wok, then add the spices and stir-fry till they're fragrant, then add the onions and stir-fry till they're just starting to brown.  Add the garlic a little before that.  Add the paneer and garbanzos and salt and stir-fry for a few minutes.  Adjust the seasonings, then stir in the chopped cilantro.  This is good right off the stove, but it's also good warm.  Serve with naan (and of course Central Asian is best).

Paneer with Spicy Tomatoes

4 cayenne chiles, chopped, or more if you want them seeded- 8 isn't too many if you seed

1 large onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups water 

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
Paneer from 2-3 liters of milk, cubed (you can fry it ahead of time if you like)
1 tsp salt, or to taste

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Put the chiles, onion, water, and oil in a medium pan and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and garlic and bring back to a boil to simmer for 10 more minutes. Add the paneer and salt cook for a few more minutes.  This is best served warm, so remove from the heat, cover, and let sit for ten minutes before adjusting the seasoning and stirring in the cilantro. You can serve this with rice, but I think it's best with naan.

Bangla Vegetables

•  2-3 tablespoons oil
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp each of fennel, cumin, sedana (nigella or black onion seed), and mustard seed (yellow or black)
  • 1/2-1 tsp cayenne or crushed red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 large chopped onion
  • About a pound of green stuff (spinach, bok choy, broccoli, zucchini, whatever)
  • 1 tsp salt

Heat the oil in a wok or a big pot and add the spices and stir, then add the garlic and stir again. Then toss in the onions and cook them till they're golden and soft.  Turn down the heat a little if you need to so they don't brown before they're really soft.  While the onion is cooking, chop up the vegetables.  If it's broccoli or zucchini, I do bite-size pieces.  If they're various greens, I roughly chop them up. When the onions are soft, add the chopped vegetables and the salt.  Stir-fry till the vegetables are just tender.  That will obviously take longer with broccoli than spinach.  Just pay attention and cook the vegetables till they're the way you like them.

I agree with your husband.   :)  Here are a few of the recipes I like.

Red lentils with coconut

1 cup red lentils, washed

5 cups water

1-2 tablespoons tamarind pulp, chopped

2 tablespoons oil

1/2 tsp each of coriander, cumin, cayenne, and turmeric

1 tablespoon minced or mashed garlic

1 1/2 cups sliced onions

1/2 tsp salt

Limes or lemons

Put the lentils and water in a qazan or heavy pot and bring to a boil, skimming as it comes to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, covering it for the last 10 minutes (the cooking time is really flexible; the lentils will be soft in 20 minutes, but you can cook them for up to 40 minutes if you want the texture smoother and you can blend them too if you want).  While it's simmering, put the tamarind in a small bowl and scoop 1/4 cup of hot water from the lentils and mix it with the pulp.  Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.

Heat the oil in a wok or pot or qazan over medium-high heat, then add the spices and stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add the garlic and onions and stir-fry for at least 10 minutes, lowering the heat a little as you cook until the onions are very soft. 

When the lentils are as cooked as you want them, press the tamarind pulp through a strainer into the lentils (discard the pulp).  Add the onions and salt and more water if you want to, again depending on the consistency you want.  Cook for 5 minutes, then taste to adjust the seasonings if you need to.  Serve with lime wedges (or lemons if limes aren't available) so your guests can squeeze the juice onto their lentils.

And another:

Dal with Coconut Milk

1 c red lentils

5 c water

1 T oil

1 T minced garlic

2 T minced shallots

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp salt

1 c coconut milk

Boil the lentils in a large pot in the 5 cups water till they're soft, then keep warm. Heat a pan over high heat and add the oil, then add the garlic and shallots and stir-fry for a minute. Add the rest of the spices and cook 2 more minutes, then add the salt and coconut milk, lower the heat, and cook 5 minutes. Add the spice mixture to the hot lentils and simmer a couple of minutes.

Paneer and Garbanzos

Paneer made from three liters of milk, cubed and fried till golden (here's a link to the way I make paneer)

2-3 cups cooked garbanzos

Oil

Spices (I like to add about a teaspoon each of coriander and cayenne pepper, then 1/2 tsp of turmeric, cumin, fennel, mustard seed, and nigella.  You can also use garam masala if you like that.)

One chopped onion

Lots of minced garlic 

Salt to taste 

Chopped cilantro

Heat the oil in a wok, then add the spices and stir-fry till they're fragrant, then add the onions and stir-fry till they're just starting to brown.  Add the garlic a little before that.  Add the paneer and garbanzos and salt and stir-fry for a few minutes.  Adjust the seasonings, then stir in the chopped cilantro.  This is good right off the stove, but it's also good warm.  Serve with naan (and of course Central Asian is best).

Paneer with Spicy Tomatoes

4 cayenne chiles, chopped, or more if you want them seeded- 8 isn't too many if you seed

1 large onion, sliced

1 1/2 cups water 

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped

4 garlic cloves, chopped

Paneer from 2-3 liters of milk, cubed (you can fry it ahead of time if you like)

1 tsp salt, or to taste

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Put the chiles, onion, water, and oil in a medium pan and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and garlic and bring back to a boil to simmer for 10 more minutes. Add the paneer and salt cook for a few more minutes.  This is best served warm, so remove from the heat, cover, and let sit for ten minutes before adjusting the seasoning and stirring in the cilantro. You can serve this with rice, but I think it's best with naan.

Bangla Vegetables

•  2-3 tablespoons oil
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp each of fennel, cumin, sedana (nigella or black onion seed), and mustard seed (yellow or black)
  • 1/2-1 tsp cayenne or crushed red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 large chopped onion
  • About a pound of green stuff (spinach, bok choy, broccoli, zucchini, whatever)
  • 1 tsp salt

Heat the oil in a wok or a big pot and add the spices and stir, then add the garlic and stir again. Then toss in the onions and cook them till they're golden and soft.  Turn down the heat a little if you need to so they don't brown before they're really soft.  While the onion is cooking, chop up the vegetables.  If it's broccoli or zucchini, I do bite-size pieces.  If they're various greens, I roughly chop them up. When the onions are soft, add the chopped vegetables and the salt.  Stir-fry till the vegetables are just tender.  That will obviously take longer with broccoli than spinach.  Just pay attention and cook the vegetables till they're the way you like them.

With the lentil recipes, what do you serve with them?

With the lentil recipes, what do you serve with them?

Some good flatbread (not insipid storebought naan), maybe some yogurt, maybe a chutney or some stir-fried vegetables, or some fruit.  Or rice, but not basmati.  Maybe a good parboiled rice.  

Dal with Coconut Milk

1 c red lentils

5 c water

1 T oil

1 T minced garlic

2 T minced shallots

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp salt

1 c coconut milk

Do you drain the lentils before you add the spice mixture?

Dal with Coconut Milk

1 c red lentils

5 c water

1 T oil

1 T minced garlic

2 T minced shallots

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp salt

1 c coconut milk

Do you drain the lentils before you add the spice mixture?

No, it'll be watery at first, but it'll thicken up as it cooked a little more..

No, it'll be watery at first, but it'll thicken up as it cooked a little more..

We had it tonight. I loved it. My boys, not so much, lol. Ds10 made it, and he liked the simplicity of the recipe, but the coriander was a little strong for him I think. Babyman was just in a mood and only wanted bread. All the better for me - I get leftovers tomorrow!

My favorites are veggie korma and mulligatawny soup.

I do follow your husband's logic. I like most foods, but when people use fake meat substitutes and try to recreate meat dishes, the results are usually disappointing. There are so many great veggie dishes that there's just no need for fake chicken or boca burgers to exist. I'd MUCH rather eat eggplant Parmesan than some weird soy version of chicken parm. Of course, I have similar feelings about pork substitutes, so maybe I'm not reliable. Honestly, who thought turkey pepperoni was a good idea?

We enjoyed this recipe:

Chickpea Curry 

2 T vegetable oil

1 medium onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 T curry powder -- I may have added more

1 T tomato paste

15-oz. can chickpeas, drained

1/2 T lemon juice

1/2 T salt

pepper to taste

1 T margarine

*I added peas, cubed potatoes, and quite a bit of coconut milk/cream from the top  :cheers2:

Heat oil on Med-high.  Brown onions, then reduce to medium and add garlic, curry, paste, and cook 2 minutes.

Add the rest and simmer until warmed through (longer if you add peas/potatoes -- they'll need to cook first or in the mixture).  Serve with naan or rice.  Adjust amounts to taste. :)

I'm drooling.   :drool5:

All of you who can eat lentils and garbanzos... Eat some for me, so I can live vicariously through you.  Please.  (None for us, DS is allergic.)

Watching for lentil, garbanzo, dairy free ideas though! 

I'm drooling.   :drool5:

All of you who can eat lentils and garbanzos... Eat some for me, so I can live vicariously through you.  Please.  (None for us, DS is allergic.)

Watching for lentil, garbanzo, dairy free ideas though! 

Can you do potatoes and peas? I would just sub those for the chickpeas in the recipe alisoncooks posted above (and skip the margarine or use earth balance or something).

ETA: Also, if no one is allergic to soy and you're not averse to using tofu, you can use it to sub for paneer in recipes, too. I love to make homemade paneer, but when I want peas paneer and I don't feel like messing with making cheese, I just use tofu.

Can you do potatoes and peas? I would just sub those for the chickpeas in the recipe alisoncooks posted above (and skip the margarine or use earth balance or something).

ETA: Also, if no one is allergic to soy and you're not averse to using tofu, you can use it to sub for paneer in recipes, too. I love to make homemade paneer, but when I want peas paneer and I don't feel like messing with making cheese, I just use tofu.

Oh, yay!!!!!  I am hungry just thinking about this.

Picking up tofu today.  

Thank you!

Here's an easy recipe for an Indian side dish. I use any greens, but it was originally for spinach.

Sauté minced garlic in olive oil (carefully so it doesn't get too brown). Add a tsp or more of cumin seeds and briefly toast. Add about 1/2 lb of fresh spinach and sauté down. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over it and serve.

The lemon juice is vital as it freshens the dish and keeps it from being too bitter (especially if you are using a green more bitter than spinach). A good twist of sea salt makes it even better.

This is Loverboy's recipe for Curry.

--It is NOT spicy.  I would not be able to eat it if it was.
--It is easy to prep the extras ahead of time.  We have a rice cooker where I can put the rice in the cooker and walk away from it.

--It is so good, Loverboy's Indian boss asked for the recipe.

--This is a good recipe for a large group of people (think Christmas, Easter, extended Family get-togethers, weekends that your college students bring friends home).  Everybody fills their own bowl, buffet style, and ladles the curry sauce on top.

--Our record is 19 toppings, but you don't need to do that many.  We just do that when we have a houseful of guests.  Just have every family member pick one topping on the list the first time you make it.  Lay your toppings out buffet style for everyone to share.

--Can be made meat-friendly by having chicken and bacon as possible toppings, but not necessary.
--When serving this to someone new, I always give them a spoonful of just the curry to try, on the off-chance that they will not like it.  Nobody likes everything, and I'd hate to have someone have a bowl full of food to eat when they didn't like the sauce.

--For young children (who don't always like their food touching), we just give them a plate with each of the toppings they like, and the rice on the side.

How to eat it:

--put rice in your individual bowl

--add your favorite toppings (so everyone picks what works for them).  If you don't like pickles, don't put pickles in your bowl!

--Ladle the curry sauce over it.

The recipe:

CURRY

6 T butter

1/2 C minced onion

1  1/2 T curry powder

6 T flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp ground ginger

2 chicken or vegetable boullion cubes dissolved in 2 cups water

2 C milk (1 can coconut milk + milk to make 2 C)

1 tsp lemon juice

**Don't forget to make a pot of rice!**

1) Melt butter over low heat in heavy saucepan.  Saute onion and curry powder in melted butter.  Blend in flour and seasonings.  2) Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly, remove from heat.

3) Stir in  broth and milk.  Bring to boil stirring constantly.

4) Boil til slightly thickened

5) Add lemon juice.

6) Serve over rice and toppings.

Toppings:

raisins

salted peanuts

dill pickles

crisp bacon bits

chopped hard cooked eggs

sauteed onion rings

pineapple chunks

durkee french fried onion rings

avocado

coconut

Bell peppers

Cheese

Chinese hard noodles

Olives, black and green

Mushrooms

Mandarin oranges

Dates

Beans (Kidney or other)

***Disclaimer: Don't think that you need to have ALL of these toppings available for your family.  We only do that when we are cooking for a large group.  The first time you make it, have every family member pick one thing on the topping list to have available for their curry.  Lay all of your chosen toppings out, and fill your bowls buffet style.

Does anyone know if queso fresco can sub for paneer? Dh has an unreasonable hatred of tofu, and I don't want to *always* have to make paneer to be able to make a dish with it. I can get queso fresco easily, but paneer not so much.

You can usually find paneer in Indian stores and it freezes well, so that might be your best option evenif you don't have in Indian grocery nearby. Or make a lot of paneer at one and freeze it. Queso fresco would work better than some cheeses since it doesn't melt quite as well, but it's not a very good substitute. If you have good access to Mexican cheeses, panela works the best of the bunch, although it still will melt a little. Just not as much as the others. :)